Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,483 members, 7,940,828 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 12:36 PM

Denrele Denies Being Charley Boy’s Gay Lover - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Denrele Denies Being Charley Boy’s Gay Lover (13184 Views)

Flavour Denies Being Married To Sandra Okagbue / Dbanj And Charley Boy Pictured Together / Charley Boy Writes On Buhari's Inability To Appoint Ministers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Denrele Denies Being Charley Boy’s Gay Lover by Phate07(m): 12:16am On Oct 28, 2010

Ok, ganja lady, i Have started work! Hope you pardon me if i burn some of the ganja. wink

Re: Denrele Denies Being Charley Boy’s Gay Lover by Sagamite(m): 4:38am On Oct 28, 2010
And later some fockers will come and argue with me that gay people just want to be left alone, accepting homosexuality will not affect my life.

I keep on telling them it will lead to brainwashing in schools.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/oct/26/lgbt-history-homophobia-schools

[size=18pt]Introduction of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT) history Month in Primary School[/size]

'I've had pupils say 'Miss, you are trying to turn us gay' and I ask them, 'do you turn black during Black History Month or Turkish during Turkish month?'" Elly Barnes, a music teacher at Stoke Newington school in north London, is used to tackling such questions. Prompted by seeing homophobia around her in school on many occasions, she now runs Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT) History Month here every February.

LGBT History Month was launched nationally by the lobby group Schools Out five years ago, and Stoke Newington school was one of the first to celebrate the event by integrating it into the curriculum. But the school has now gone one step further and become a diversity training centre, training teachers from both primary and secondary schools on equal opportunity policies, giving advice on resources and demonstrating LGBT practice lessons.

"My focus is eradicating homophobia from all schools and educational establishments by giving staff the confidence and resources to do it, along with demonstrating good practice and changing opinions under the banner of 'educate and celebrate'," says Barnes, who is the diversity course leader.

At the first session, Barnes briefs teachers, PGCE students and an educational psychologist on current policy and equal opportunities. Then she moves on to the part many teachers dread and fear – teaching children about LGBT.

"Many teachers are scared of celebrating LGBT as they are worried pupils will judge them and will assume they are gay," she says. "In fact, to them, we are just a blob giving them information. Over the five years, I've only had three pupils ask whether I am gay."

The teachers on the training day are keen to watch the practice lesson. A group of year 7 pupils troop into the classroom. Barnes plays a clip from the film Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, and asks them what they have seen. The children happily discuss transvestites and transsexuals and what they know. "There is a man at my auntie's work who wears a skirt and has really hairy legs," says one child. "Crisscross is where you like both men and women," offers another.

Florence, aged 12, tells the class about the first wedding she went to. "It was a gay wedding and they were called Andrew and Eric, and I wanted to be a bridesmaid, but I had only known them for two years."

Barnes asks them what they know about the words lesbian, gay and bisexual. Josiah, aged 11, brings up the issue of religion, saying: "The pope opposes homosexuality, but I don't know why, as I think everyone should have free will."

Barnes finishes the class saying: "The message I want to leave you with is that when you are giggling with your friends and your friend falls over and you say that is gay, think about the language you're using."

Afterwards, Florence says the lesson "was really valuable, as before this, we didn't know much about gays and lesbians apart from what our parents told us".

Josiah thinks "it is good to learn about it and people shouldn't feel disgusted by it as lesbians and gays have the same feelings as everyone else".

Jaden, aged 11, recounts how at his last school, "some children told another boy he shouldn't be gay and it was kind of sad and I stuck up for him".

Sefkan, aged 11, says the lesson was an eye-opener. "It changed my ideas about gays and lesbians as I thought it was something wrong. But it is not something wrong. In our primary school, a lot of people got bullied for being gay even though they weren't."

Schools often worry about how parents will react to lessons and assemblies on LGBT, and Barnes says: "It is vital we keep coming back to that word, educating not influencing."

Over the five years, she has had only a handful of complaints. "A parent complained after her son told her he had seen a film at the school that showed two men kissing. I told her we are an inclusive school and it is part of the curriculum," says Barnes.

On one occasion, she says, a pupil shouted abuse at her in assembly. "He was promptly removed by the head of year, and the student later came to apologise to me after talking through the issues with a behaviour mentor. A celebration of this kind is only possible with the help and support of colleagues," she says.

Anna Gluckstein, head of ICT, relates how she once had a boy standing at the back of the class chanting "batty man, batty man" (a Jamaican term for a gay man). The lesson was on Alan Turing, a mathematician, pioneer of computer science and war-time code-breaker. "I was telling them how in the 1950s, he was arrested and tried for homosexuality and given the option of going to prison or taking injections of female hormones. He chose the injections. Two years later he committed suicide.

"When I do this lesson," says Gluckstein, "it is to a class of children from different cultures and religions and they all tend to say that is not right, he was being oppressed. There are, of course, ones like this boy, who shout out batty man, but even he came round in the end."

Barnes says homophobic bullying has more or less been eradicated in the school in the last five years. One key factor has been empowering pupils to report bullying.

She says: "By exploring the definitions of LGBT and looking at famous LGBT people in history, we've managed to change opinions and we have had a number of pupils come out during their time at school here. We have also changed the language used in the school. I used to hear the word gay being used all the time, as a derogatory term. Now we hardly hear that."

A recent report by the Equalities and Human Rights Commission into fairness in the UK found that two-thirds of lesbian, gay and transgender students have suffered homophobic bullying and 17% have received death threats. Nearly half of secondary school teachers in England say homophobic bullying is common and only one in six believe their school is very active in promoting the rights of gay pupils.

"Every school celebrates Black History Month. Why don't they all celebrate LGBT History Month?" says Barnes. "My dream is to take this celebration into every school and make it a statutory requirement of the curriculum."
Re: Denrele Denies Being Charley Boy’s Gay Lover by Odunnu: 4:48am On Oct 28, 2010
@Saga, thank God the bot no let you do that thing wey u been wan do.
Re: Denrele Denies Being Charley Boy’s Gay Lover by Sagamite(m): 6:21am On Oct 28, 2010
^^^ tongue
Re: Denrele Denies Being Charley Boy’s Gay Lover by Nobody: 11:29am On Oct 28, 2010
Re: Denrele Denies Being Charley Boy’s Gay Lover by Mygoldie(f): 1:29pm On Oct 28, 2010
i've always knew that denrele b i t c h is gay,even if the cow keeps denying it, how i hate those two gosh,
Re: Denrele Denies Being Charley Boy’s Gay Lover by dancenony: 7:49pm On Nov 10, 2010
actually he doesnt owe anyone explainations atall like he said , its his life but for the fact that he decided to talk abt it atall, then he shud be saying the truth cos its sooooooooooo obvious he is gay, no doubt
Re: Denrele Denies Being Charley Boy’s Gay Lover by Gr8Animash: 3:11pm On Nov 23, 2010
it is a big lie, denrele is very gay tongue
Re: Denrele Denies Being Charley Boy’s Gay Lover by MrCork26: 3:13pm On Nov 23, 2010
they both look Nyanshable tongue
Re: Denrele Denies Being Charley Boy’s Gay Lover by Gr8Animash: 3:34pm On Nov 23, 2010
True dat, but my broda y use d word yanshable, r u 2 a memba of d m.y.a(men yanshin assc).
Re: Denrele Denies Being Charley Boy’s Gay Lover by MrCork26: 3:59pm On Nov 23, 2010
Gr8Animash , u want membership? tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nollywood Records First Dead Of 2017, See The Funeral Arrangement And Date / John Dumelo Cradling His Newborn Baby, John D Jnr / Will Smith’s Son Jaden Comes Out As Gay, Dating Tyler The Creator (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.