Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,829 members, 7,848,337 topics. Date: Sunday, 02 June 2024 at 09:11 PM

Xenophobic Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Xenophobic Africa (235 Views)

“Enough Is Enough” - FG Finally Break Silence On Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians / Moghalu Reacts To Xenophobic Attacks In South Africa, Tells Nigerians What To Do / South African Deputy Minister Of Police Defends Xenophobic Attacks (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Xenophobic Africa by quisera(m): 9:02pm On Sep 03, 2019
Xenophobic Africa
The issue of the attacks on Nigerians living in South Africa is no longer news.It seems to be a concurrent phenomenon that has refused to die away or need i say that our fellow african brethrens are still perversed due to the apartheid struggle, that they now feel the need to impose their superiority on their fellow blacks and make the rest of the black race seem inferior to them. In a quick appraisal of the statement attributed to a high ranking south african official who said that "Nigeria should stop complaining because the number of nigerians purportedly killed in southafrica is less than the number of south africans who have died in Nigeria". The question then is should we make a census of dead foreigners in our country before we begin to understand the importance of human life? There is a need to emphasize that we all are human beings and we all have the same ontological equal dignity and status. As these killings crop up before our very own eyes we must not forget the fact that no matter our race,colour,ethnic,social,cultural and political affiliations we are brothers and sisters and should endeavour to reconcile our differences without the use of violence.
The basis of all reconciliations must be the humanity of each and every one of us. When we recognize the humanity of the other person we will shun violence and every form of harm that destroys our neighbours. Some issues may be difficult to resolve but definitely not impossible to resolve. Many conflicts in our world would have been resolved if people were willing to engage in radical humanitarianism and sharing especially with those who may not be as endowed with resources as ours.
Southafricans exhibit xenophobia towards Nigerians because they feel Nigerians have dominated their economic and social space i.e paradoxically Nigerians have become superior to the southafricans even in their own country. Nigerians have come up to say that they intend to blow up south african owned companies in Nigeria such as multichoice,mtn,shoprite e.t.c. But the question is what good will the destruction of our very own economic space and environment do us? We instead must learn to resist every form of tyranny and embrace peace through dialogical and conversational manners.
The essence of this write up is not to justify Nigerians (as we have our own shortcomings) and condemn the south africans but to make us understand the purposefulness of mutual coexistence and the equality of all humans; equality not in the aspect of being equal materially or intellectually but essentially in the very essence of being human. Every human person irrespective of how vulnerable or helpless,no matter how young or how old,no matter how healthy,handicapped or sick, no matter how useful or productive to society is a being of inestimable worth perfectly and authentically made for purposeful ends. And to uphold this dignity remains one of the essential functions of any society.
South africans must not forget the apartheid struggles of their founding fathers and the struggles against racial descrimination by the likes of Martin Luther. The liberalisation of the black man as slaves to the whites has been won but it is disappointing to note that the black man sees his fellow blackman to be inferior. The fight against slave trade was won but the fight against slave mentality is yet to be won. Let us together stand against injustice, oppression and discrimination and together fight for a just and united society.
I believe in a Just society. I believe in the freedom of all. I believe in mutual coexistence. I believe in unity. I believe in love. I believe in Africa.
Say No To Xenophobia.

(1) (Reply)

Xenophobic Violence On Nigerians Living In South Africa / BREAKING NEWS – Ex-President Mugabe Dies At Age 95 / Why The Youth Should Resist Buhari On Sowore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.