Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,855 members, 7,899,035 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 July 2024 at 04:23 AM

Inter-tribal Marriages: What's Your Take? - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Inter-tribal Marriages: What's Your Take? (5487 Views)

Fulani Chief Calls For Inter-tribal Marriages Among NYSC Members / Inter-tribal Marriages In Nigeria (the Untold Story) / Inter-tribal Dating Between Yoruba And Igbo: A Good Sign for Naija's Future! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inter-tribal Marriages: What's Your Take? by 4Him(m): 11:10pm On Feb 08, 2008
hotfunmi:

The truth is that our generation don't give a damn about where our spouses come from. My childhood friend married a white guy from Kansas in 2005 and my elder sister in Pennsylvania married one cute ibo brother. I like ibo guys so much but I must confess that they are not as open minded as yoruba guys when it comes to inter ethnic marriage, they always like to stick to their own. Generally, most of our parents were against inter tribal or ethnic or state marriage but thank God that this generation knows better. Gone are the days my dad will tell me never to bring home an ijebu man because he'll be lucky if i marry a yoruba man sef. My prayers is to marry a Naija man tho, precisely yoruba or ibo.

You pray to marry 1-minute men? shocked
Re: Inter-tribal Marriages: What's Your Take? by Nobody: 11:11pm On Feb 08, 2008
marry me, am yoruba but look ibo. talk about killing 2 birds with one stone
Re: Inter-tribal Marriages: What's Your Take? by hotfunmi(f): 5:11am On Feb 09, 2008
marry me, am yoruba but look ibo. talk about killing 2 birds with one stone
lol, what do you mean by that? you are light skinned?
Re: Inter-tribal Marriages: What's Your Take? by almondjoy(f): 5:18am On Feb 09, 2008
No big deal about inter-tribals at all.

Some tribes are better for marriage than others. But the bottom line is that it is an individual matter.  Personally, there are some tribes or races in this world that I would never dream of befriending not to talk of marrying.  It all has to do with how they treat women and children that's all.

Some are just too outright backward for me. kiss

Religious/Polygamous or chieftaincy bullshit--over ma dead body!  Once you take any chieftaincy title in Nigeria--You bet your sweet arse I'm gonnna divorce you sharp sharp.  Don't care for that village mess arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrallll! angry

Shudders!
Re: Inter-tribal Marriages: What's Your Take? by Ebaby2: 5:25am On Feb 09, 2008
I don’t see nothing wrong marrying from other tribes, we are all the same people. One love Nigerians

I have families who married delta, Ibo, Hausa e.t.c but has for me oh I can only marry a Yoruba man and it depends on what state his from and background becos that is for important to us

My parents rules are no guys from Ekiti, Kwara,Oyo e.t.c like that, and last names starting from SO is a big NO NO
Re: Inter-tribal Marriages: What's Your Take? by treadstone(m): 5:49am On Feb 09, 2008
you can marry from any part of the planet earth okay,.but to be sincere with you,the language you are born with is not to be compare with any other when it comes to seriousness.inter-tribal is the best accept you derive some merit from the outsider that is why you cherish her most and that advantage is no less than beauty,fame and materialism.well the best is always the best the bible say money answered all things.
Re: Inter-tribal Marriages: What's Your Take? by hotfunmi(f): 6:39am On Feb 09, 2008
By Ebaby
I don’t see nothing wrong marrying from other tribes, we are all the same people. One love Nigerians

I have families who married delta, Ibo, Hausa e.t.c but has for me oh I can only marry a Yoruba man and it depends on what state his from and background because that is for important to us

My parents rules are no guys from Ekiti, Kwara,Oyo e.t.c like that, and last names starting from SO is a big NO NO
Do you have to follow your parents rules as an adult? What is wrong with guys from Ekiti, Oyo and Kwara? what of Osun? If you can marry Ondo, why not Ekiti?

State is not even in my dictionary when it comes to marriage because it's a doggone land division, the only reservation I have for marriage is religion. I can never ever marry a moslem.
Re: Inter-tribal Marriages: What's Your Take? by hotfunmi(f): 6:43am On Feb 09, 2008
by Almondjoy,
No big deal about inter-tribals at all.

Some tribes are better for marriage than others. But the bottom line is that it is an individual matter. Personally, there are some tribes or races in this world that I would never dream of befriending not to talk of marrying. It all has to do with how they treat women and children that's all.

Can you name them please so we can be watchful?. I am sure the tribe/ethnic group is not yoruba.
Re: Inter-tribal Marriages: What's Your Take? by Ebaby2: 6:47am On Feb 09, 2008
hotfunmi:

Do you have to follow your parents rules as an adult? What is wrong with guys from Ekiti, Oyo and Kwara? what of Osun? If you can marry Ondo, why not Ekiti?
No my dear, no one dictate or choice whom to marry or not marry for me, but from what have witness myself i will not marry from that side abi any of those states.

There is nothing wrong with Osun becos my cousins dad is from there, and nothing wrong marrying a guy from Ogun

Hell yea I will marry an Ondo guy becos my forefathers are from there even though my great grandfather claims Lagos State and moreover my hubby is from Ondo
Re: Inter-tribal Marriages: What's Your Take? by olanajim(m): 7:24am On Feb 09, 2008
Almondjoy,
what is wrong with chieftaincy? I am a "chief". Thank God you are not married to me.

@topic,
opposition to inter tribal marriage is just one of the carryover of primitive era. Certainly it is still rife. But I am sure it would phase out one day just as choosing spouses for children die naturally due to stubborn resistance.
Re: Inter-tribal Marriages: What's Your Take? by hotfunmi(f): 9:18am On Feb 09, 2008
@topic,
opposition to inter tribal marriage is just one of the carryover of primitive era. Certainly it is still rife. But I am sure it would phase out one day just as choosing spouses for children die naturally due to stubborn resistance
I don't think so because racism, nepotism and ethnic  segregation are some of the vices that will follow mankind to the grave. Racists and tribalists are not born, they learn the habit from their predecessors.
Re: Inter-tribal Marriages: What's Your Take? by almondjoy(f): 10:54am On Feb 09, 2008
hotfunmi:

Can you name them please so we can be watchful?. I am sure the tribe/ethnic group is not yoruba.

Please ma, I am in enough tribalistic troubles as you can see.  I am going to prove that I am sensitive for once and not mention any tribe.  Thank you for your patience and understanding. kiss

olanajim:

Almondjoy,
what is wrong with chieftaincy? I am a "chief". Thank God you are not married to me.

@topic,
opposition to inter tribal marriage is just one of the carryover of primitive era. Certainly it is still rife. But I am sure it would phase out one day just as choosing spouses for children die naturally due to stubborn resistance.

I don't like chietaincy titles because it makes most Nigerian men pompous and arrogant.  One more local title to stroke their stupid egos. The wives are invariably dragged into that mess too and I am not really much of a traditionalist.  Those village things turn me off.  I am glad I am not married to you either, that marriage would never work because we do not have that in common. cheesy

Chief, Dr., Engineer, Bishop, Otumba, Ikemba Rubbish!  Oh please.  Great grand pa almond was a cheif and had wives littered all over his compound.  It ended there thank God! angry  I think out of all my father's siblings--like 38 of them, only one is a chief and he has only smelled his village like 3 times in his life--has only one wife--Amen!. cheesy  So my dear--did not grow up with that kind of local flavour araaaaaaaaaallllllll! kiss  Anything that will take me to the village other than a 2 week vacation, please count me out! grin

Bottom line--Chieftancy is another license for a Polygamous set up! wink
Re: Inter-tribal Marriages: What's Your Take? by olanajim(m): 12:13pm On Feb 09, 2008
I beg to disagree with you analogy. How many wives did Awolowo has? Azikwe? All these and many more have chieftaincy titles.

Common, villages are not only place you can become Aare Ona kankanfo, Bashorun Adifajola, Egunmagaji, Olorogun, Asiwaju, Otunba etc you get it everythere. Better divorce you man and join Otunba, Pastor, Alhaja, Engineer, Oluwo Olanajim joseph Yusuf. You would be my Alhaja prophetess. Please hear my plee, Almond and bring joy to our soon to be expanded title clan.
Re: Inter-tribal Marriages: What's Your Take? by almondjoy(f): 1:37pm On Feb 09, 2008
olanajim:

I beg to disagree with you analogy. How many wives did Awolowo has? Azikwe? All these and many more have chieftaincy titles.

Common, villages are not only place you can become Aare Ona kankanfo, Bashorun Adifajola, Egunmagaji, Olorogun, Asiwaju, Otunba etc you get it everythere. Better divorce you man and join Otunba, Pastor, Alhaja, Engineer, Oluwo Olanajim joseph Yusuf. You would be my Alhaja prophetess. Please hear my plee, Almond and bring joy to our soon to be expanded title clan.

he he he he he he he!cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy I love your choice of role models!

Yeah right!  Very funny!  Who dash you chief.  Na im you dey for Nairaland? cheesy
Re: Inter-tribal Marriages: What's Your Take? by olanajim(m): 2:28pm On Feb 09, 2008
I only get "Joseph" title on nairaland. The others are from my people at home. No "ewe oye" though. I just get them.

Sincerely, not every title holder go polygamous after the title. There is Tinubu, Daniel. Tinubu is my man though.

Anyway, I am glad you agreed with me that title men are not that randy.

I hope, you would allow your man get it now?
Re: Inter-tribal Marriages: What's Your Take? by marzipan73(f): 6:27pm On Feb 09, 2008
Well it better work as I am of Trinidadian parents and hellbent on marrying my Yoruba boyfirnd
Re: Inter-tribal Marriages: What's Your Take? by olanajim(m): 6:44pm On Feb 09, 2008
Don't mind the pessimists it works. But you must work at it to make it work.

Also, ensure you learn basic communication skills before visiting his people. So that you won't be lost when they switch to their mother tongue.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If U Treat Ur Woman Like Queen Guess What She Will Do / 8 Silly Things Men Do During Sex That Leads To Pregnancy / My Bae Is Beautiful, Don't You Think So?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.