Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,202 members, 7,933,973 topics. Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2024 at 03:19 PM

Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice (23952 Views)

Customs Seizes $8 Million At Lagos International Airport / US Customs Seizes $15,860 Undeclared Cash From Nigerian Couple / Customs Seizes 1,100 Pump Action Rifles In Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by HenryThegreat1(m): 7:10am On Oct 05, 2019
Pistotita:

You better be. Or else you will cough out 100 million to bail out your kids or parents from the den of kidnappers. Which do you prefer?

Oga,I will not campaign for you or beg any governor to pay like they bailed out Siasia's mom. Even Siasia cannot pay. Is it you that can afford to pay kidnappers. You better start paying N500k per bag of rice. Or you stop eating it for now. Must you eat rice?
. Are u living in this country at all? So are u not seeing the news of high rate of kidnapping in our country? There is hunger in the town.
Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by SoNature(m): 7:12am On Oct 05, 2019
Pistotita:

Has the closure really made the prices of what you buy in market increase drastically? And please come out with real proof. Let us just not make comments because we want to criticise Buhari. The policy is good.

You are crying kidnapping daily, dont you want to be safe? Oga, I am a farmer and I am.enjoying it. Sales is moving for me. If it continues, things will change. These smugglers are reasons farmers are not doing well. There are efforts to assist local production. Only these smugglers are killing all the efforts. On this one, Buhari is a goal.

Interesting.

Just idle curiosity,

1. Can't we produce rice without specks of stone in Nigeria?

2. Is our Nigerian soil not good enough to produce long-grain, white rice?

Let's face it, foreign rice is more attractive.

People say that local rice is more nutritious, but it's a talk for another day.
Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by Nobody: 7:12am On Oct 05, 2019
youngsahito:
tell us the brand and is it a stone free rice

It is food that will kill you. If I see stony rice, I will pick all stones out. I will support this government to address security. When your kids are kidnapped, they wont eat that rice you want to eat. You better be grateful. You like food too much. Must you eat rice? Ha ba! Dem swe.ar for you with rice?
Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by blueheart(m): 7:13am On Oct 05, 2019
Pistotita:

Bring the fact out. When you are cracking smuggling, they will also fight. Let it be N100k. As far as it works, it's fine. What goes up will come down. Let us support him for once.

I will rather eat let rice now till smuggling is really addressed. Why is it rice you ppl are shouting. Go and eat another food. Must you eat rice? I want him lock it till Benin Republic and Chad support us. Why must they destroy our economy? Why?

Gradually local farmers will pick up. These smugglers have been killing local production for a long time. Its necessary to stop them first. If you want to eat rice, pay for it. Even its N200k per bag, as long as the policy addresses kidnapping, I am ok. They keep smuggling ammunition too. You people are just ungrateful. Its that rice that will kill you all. Is it only food you know?

I was liking your comments before but you are sounding too sentimental and not articulate as before. Stay on facts and leave the curses and insults out
Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by Nobody: 7:16am On Oct 05, 2019
Pistotita:

Bring the fact out. When you are cracking smuggling, they will also fight. Let it be N100k. As far as it works, it's fine. What goes up will come down. Let us support him for once.

I will rather eat let rice now till smuggling is really addressed. Why is it rice you ppl are shouting. Go and eat another food. Must you eat rice? I want him lock it till Benin Republic and Chad support us. Why must they destroy our economy? Why?

Gradually local farmers will pick up. These smugglers have been killing local production for a long time. Its necessary to stop them first. If you want to eat rice, pay for it. Even its N200k per bag, as long as the policy addresses kidnapping, I am ok. They keep smuggling ammunition too. You people are just ungrateful. Its that rice that will kill you all. Is it only food you know?

I would try not to insult u back, cos I don’t know what U mean by “rice will kill u” and “is it only food you know” ..it’s rude and highly uncalled for...if u can’t dialogue like civilized person, there’s no point quoting people u don’t know

...you are saying eat another source of food, Is their any other major source of carb in Nigeria? Ain’t u a Nigerian? Is it yam you want to eat.. it isn’t available tryout the year... the government refused to invest and open the agricultural sector the genetically modified foods like the west to help production and scarcity.... but they know how to put fire brigade approach in place....
U think Nigerians don’t know the good implication of closing the boarder...but there’s no alternative what’s being produced locally can’t help 190million people...believe it or not the whole Nigeria eats rice.....let the government always have a plan to improve before blocking the only source....and since 1960 I’ve not seen improvement

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by gbagyiza: 7:20am On Oct 05, 2019
heed101:
My question is do we have local production that can go round the populace? If not the force of the demand will keep increasing the price which will make this policy an arrant nonsense.

D current price of a bag of rice in my place is 23k.
Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by Nobody: 7:21am On Oct 05, 2019
SoNature:

Interesting.

Just idle curiosity,

1. Can't we produce rice without specks of stone in Nigeria?

2. Is our Nigerian soil not good enough to produce long-grain, white rice?

Let's face it, foreign rice is more attractive.

People say that local rice is more nutritious, but it's a talk for another day.

Very good questions. These smugglers are the reason everything is stand still. And corrupt politicians are champions in destroying Nigeria too. This is one reason PDP has failed. It is why I will never support Atiku. The day PDP chose Atiku was the day Fayose and Wike knew they are on the wrong path. Atiku that was custom boss. Lol. I dont think Buhari is the best , but for doing this, he has my support.

Foreign rice is attractive, but if we stop it, local producers will step up as they make more profit. That is the way to go. If we dont stop smuggling, we will continue having bad economy. Only a stubborn leader like Buhari can do it. Leader wey no send anyone. I'm in support of it.

We must bear the pain for a short period to have a better tomorrow. I will not eat rice if it is beyond my reach now. But I know if it continues, more farmers will go into rice productions. And more mills will be set up to remove stones and make it up to the standard we want. But as long as these smugglers are operating, less Nigerians will get involved with production because it isn't lucrative..I guess you aren't are a producer. I am. So, I know what I am typing here.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by Nobody: 7:21am On Oct 05, 2019
gbagyiza:

D current price of a bag of rice in my place is 23k.

Be grateful oga. You will pay N100 million to kidnappers very soon. Which do you prefer?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by Nobody: 7:25am On Oct 05, 2019
1StopRudeness:

I would try not to insult u back, cos I don’t know what U mean by “rice will kill u” and “is it only food you know” ..it’s rude and highly uncalled for...if u can’t dialogue like civilized person, there’s no point quoting people u don’t know

...you are saying eat another source of food, Is their any other major source of carb in Nigeria? Ain’t u a Nigerian? Is it yam you want to eat.. it isn’t available tryout the year... the government refused to invest and open the agricultural sector the genetically modified foods like the west to help production and scarcity.... but they know how to put fire brigade approach in place....
U think Nigerians don’t know the good implication of closing the boarder...but there’s no alternative what’s being produced locally can’t help 190million people...believe it or not the whole Nigeria eats rice.....let the government always have a plan to improve before blocking the only source....and since 1960 I’ve not seen improvement

I have no more word for you. Its obvious you are a glutton. Continue campaigning for your rice. I'm about addressing smuggling in vehicles that are destroying the climate which is unfavourable for farming. You people are the reason our climate is bad for farming. Support the policy against smuggling. Let us stop kidnapping. Let us support local production.

You are on your own if you want your rice to be N5,000. Oga, pack your load and relocate to Cotonou or Niger. Shikena.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by idonhammer: 7:28am On Oct 05, 2019
See this one,Bloody civil servant.Your wickedness did not allow you to know that those seized commodities has a serious consequences for poor masses. Una go soon get Sense.

Commentor:
Well done.

If you can do more by all means do more.

Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by Nobody: 7:29am On Oct 05, 2019
Pistotita:

I have no more word for you. Its obvious you are a glutton. Continue campaigning for your rice. I'm about addressing smuggling in vehicles that are destroying the climate which is unfavourable for farming. You people are the reason our climate is bad for farming. Support the policy against smuggling. Let us stop kidnapping. Let us support local production.

You are on your own if you want your rice to be N5,000. Oga, pack your load and relocate to Cotonou or Niger. Shikena.

U sound like u have passion.... but there’s no justification to insult people to prove any point.. on ur way to the top carry some humility along... it will help u stay there..:: peace man
Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by Nobody: 7:31am On Oct 05, 2019
HenryThegreat1:
. Are u living in this country at all? So are u not seeing the news of high rate of kidnapping in our country? There is hunger in the town.

Hunger has always been in Nigeria. If you understand that the rate of kidnapping is high, you will know that closing the border is a good way to check it.

Do you think the house of assembly is stupid to support Mr. President. See, most people will not support him if it is based on the economy alone. But we are talking about security too. When the border is under control, less ammunition will be smuggled in. And that will check kidnapping.

It is better to attack the source of kidnapping. And the source is smuggling. Instead of taking police force to go on investigation. Let us check it by strengthening the borders.

So, which do you prefer? To buy food at a reasonable higher cost you can still afford? Or to go pay N100 million to kidnappers?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by AdoIfHitlerr(f): 7:32am On Oct 05, 2019
[s]
Commentor:

I'm sure you are either in Umuahia or Fiditi.
[/s]
more trash
Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by AdoIfHitlerr(f): 7:33am On Oct 05, 2019
[s]
Commentor:

Since there's a gap to fill and you want to be rich, why not invest in rice farming?
[/s]
Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by Zhezhi: 7:34am On Oct 05, 2019
Pistotita:

Oga go to Idiroko and see how these bikes are used to smuggle rice in. Its same in SW west. They even use canoe to smuggle in cars. What are you saying.

Be grateful for this opportunity to crack these smuggling activities.

You sound like a smuggler. You are an enemy of Nigeria. If you dont take your time, kidnappers will visit you and your family soon. You people are just unreasonable. This rice you want to eat will kill you all. Price rice rice rice. You are all gluttons.

Buhari is trying in this. Stop this madness a d let him stop these ma.d smugglers. Ha ba! Ungrateful Nigerians.

I am.a farmer. know the impact of this. Marketers and Importers are calling us now to start cultivating. Before, they dont look at our side. Leave baba alone. He is working. I am a farmer a.d I am seeing the good impact.

You are a smuggler. Get the heck out of nairaland. M.ad people.

Seun and all mods, keep pushing news like this to front page. I will be here to talk about update from farmers' perspective. These smugglers need to get out of the front page of nairaland. Ma.d people.

You're a farmer that will soon be slaughtered by Fuhani Jihadist millitants just like others and you're wishing kidnappers to go and kidnap my families?

I'll be back for you

Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by Commentor: 7:36am On Oct 05, 2019
idonhammer:
See this one,Bloody civil servant.Your wickedness did not allow you to know that those seized commodities has a serious consequences for poor masses. Una go soon get Sense.

Smuggling doesn't have consequences, right?

Talking about brains, where's yours?

On vacation, right?
Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by AdoIfHitlerr(f): 7:36am On Oct 05, 2019
[s]
Commentor:

On vacation, right?
[/s]
shatap
Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by slowice(m): 7:36am On Oct 05, 2019
I am not against the banning of foreign rice, but this has increased the suffering of Nigerians as the price of local rice have almost doubled. in port Harcourt,the rice companies re creating artificial scarcity thereby forcing the price to go up rapidly. Or maybe we don't ve enough production to meet our local demand. Anyways government should find a way checking the pricing else Nigerians we be spending more for nothing except enriching greedy agro businesses.
Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by Commentor: 7:41am On Oct 05, 2019
Enniez2018:
anchor borrow where a former governor turned senator collected N4b only to start rebagging different colored rice. Shiorr

Even if they give scholarships to study a course, not all the recipients would continue to study.
Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by InvertedHammer: 7:44am On Oct 05, 2019
/
Of course the border is closed...but then on a closer look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GGC5R-IsE4

/
Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by Nobody: 7:44am On Oct 05, 2019
Only when importers lose money will they stop importing.
ursullalinda:
I keep wondering why people sneak in ammunition? The seized Rice and vehicles will still find it's way into the market. So only the importers lost, somebody somewhere it's about to be enriched with it.
Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by mercyviv(f): 7:46am On Oct 05, 2019
At the long run the seized cars will be auctioned to themselves. So, why are you giving us the figures?
Meanwhile...
Are you a teacher?
Get FREE access to the best compilation of school lesson notes/plans, curriculum and exams. Visit my signature for details...
Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by Nobody: 7:46am On Oct 05, 2019
1StopRudeness:

U sound like u have passion.... but there’s no justification to insult people to prove any point.. on ur way to the top carry some humility along... it will help u stay there..:: peace man

Before you release stupidity in the public, think well. You dont even realise that your stupidity has caused Nigeria great harm.. you just want to make comments. I am happy you have realised that your comments are doing Nigerians real havoc. And it has been tested that it is when people like you are hit you start talking about humility. But you were hard on Buhari, and abusing him. Did you have humility when addressing Mr. President. You better park well.

So, must I be hard on you before you realise you were spilling out stupidity? You know the truth, but you just want to say rubbish. And then, your comments stop the good work of Mr. President. Oga, go sit down.

Am I wrong? Is it not the rice you want to eat that you are shouting here? Common man this. Common man that. Yet, the common man becomes a kidnapper and builds mansions.

Peace unto you too. Dont mention me again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by sencekompis: 7:48am On Oct 05, 2019
banio:
Buhari is working

shaarapp der shameless fellow, working for u aboki only
Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by Reference(m): 7:49am On Oct 05, 2019
positive11:
Nigeria/Area land mass is 923,763 km² with about 190 million population while Thailand/Area land mass 513,120 km² with 68 million population and they can afford to grow rice that will feed their nation and feed about 300 million people around the world NIGERIA lets wake up and feed ourself even if we can afford to feed anothere nation.

The topography and soil conditions of both countries are not comparable for rice production. Agriculture requires very specific conditions for profitable and extensive production. Once we bit the rice bug in the early seventies there was no looking back. I don't know who or what started that calamity but I do not know any country on earth that imports its prime staple. We are just so absurd in this country.

For most countries the number one staple is that handed down over the generations to which much resources will have been comitted, much expertise learned and much capabilities built for food security. Somewhere somehow we lost the expertise for our staples and developed a large appetite for wheat and rice both of which cannot be grown in strategic quantities in Nigeria.

You can imagine if we have spent this much resources developing maize and cassava up and down the value chain, where we will be by now and how much we will have saved over the decades. In much of the western world with all their human and capital resources rice is not a staple there. They don't bother to research, invest or produce it. It is just one of the many exotics offered in mainly Asian outlets.

Just how did rice colonise us.?
Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by edoairways: 7:54am On Oct 05, 2019
SoNature:
Border closure was the best thing Buhari has ever done.

While those borders remain closed, this government must take steps to improve our capacity to produce locally.

I don't know why Buhari is finding it diffult to improve electricity. Fashola promised 10,000 megawatts last December, he later said it was not the responsibility of government to generate power. So, why did he make the promise in the first place?

How about the new minister of power? Nobody knows what the man is doing. Without fixing our electricity, the gains of border closure will only happen in short term. In the long run, we will find out that prices of foodstuff will remain expensive permanently. This government has to fix power.
Generation is not the problem rather it is transmission and distribution

3 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by idonhammer: 7:54am On Oct 05, 2019
Dear brother.Since the border closures, have you heard that Nigerian customs seize thousands of Ak47 raffles or other dangerous weapons instead they are seizing rice and cars.One thing is certain,na one industrious tribe go suffer am,but na them go still use am blow from people like you.i know you were so happy about the news because you know the tribe the seized commodities will affect most,but you forget say na una wey be civil servant go replace all the losses.

Commentor:

On vacation, right?
Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by AdoIfHitlerr(f): 8:02am On Oct 05, 2019
[s]
Commentor:

Even if they give scholarships to study a course, not all the recipients would continue to study.
[/s]
Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by Commentor: 8:03am On Oct 05, 2019
idonhammer:
Dear brother.Since the border closures, have you heard that Nigerian customs seize thousands of Ak47 raffles or other dangerous weapons instead they are seizing rice and cars.One thing is certain,na one industrious tribe go suffer am,but na them go still use am blow from people like you.i know you were so happy about the news because you know the tribe the seized commodities will effect most,but you forget say na una wey be civil servant go replace all the losses.

You mean industrious tribes of smugglers.

Or what stops you from importing through the ports?

Industrious my hairy black azz.
Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by colestephan86: 8:03am On Oct 05, 2019
ursullalinda:
I keep wondering why people sneak in ammunition? The seized Rice and vehicles will still find it's way into the market. So only the importers lost, somebody somewhere it's about to be enriched with it.
You do not know jack , go to the customs yard and see cars rotting away their.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Customs Seizes 1,072 Vehicles, 19,000 Bags Of Foreign Rice by joransky4re(m): 8:05am On Oct 05, 2019
A time will come when the supply will be more than the demand, and then the price will drop.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Blessing William: Rivers Single Mother Found Dead In Apartment / Man Beaten To Death By Police Officers In Oritamerin, Ona Ara LGA, Oyo State / NDLEA Uncovers Meth Lab in Lagos, Recovers Illicit Drugs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.