Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,129 members, 7,880,536 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 08:23 PM

Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God (24857 Views)

Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says / Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical / Do This With Your Tithe Instead Of Giving It To Private Jet Owners (see Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by GoodBoi1(m): 2:16pm On Oct 06, 2019
Does tithing stop anyone from giving to the poor? Why can't you just do both? Some persons shouting give to the poor might not be givers they just don't want money going to church

1 Like

Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by ufumes2: 2:18pm On Oct 06, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Mr heretic, Jesus never said our works play a role in getting us to heaven. He said in John 3:16 that believe is all we need to have eternal life.

John 3:16 (KJV)
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

His apostle Paul also condemned works as a criteria to make heaven. Paul corroborated Jesus when he said faith/believe is what saves us, not works.

Ephesians 2:8-9 (KJV)
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Even the passage you quoted showed that the people whom Jesus commended for good works were already on his right hand. How did they get there? They got there because he saved them for having faith in him. It is that faith that led them to do good works while on Earth. It is not the good works that got them saved, otherwise Jesus death would be said to be useless to them since they could work their way into heaven.

You are here glorifying work based salvation and at the same time condemning the Pharisees for boasting about their works. Since you believe in work based salvation, you are no different in that you will also boast about your works on judgment day. But see what the passage said below about salvation. Read the bold

Ephesians 2:8-9 (KJV)
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast.

On the judgment day, you will be among those whom Jesus will say he never knew because you are not trusting in him but in your wonderful works

Matthew 7:21-23 King James Version (KJV)
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

@first bold

What is the will of the father?

John 6:40
And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Do you see how this goes in line with John 3:16?

You are not doing the will of God by believing in Jesus to give you eternal life. Instead you are trusting in your works to save you. You are trying to save yourself. For that you will be damned because you have rejected the finished work of Christ on the cross.

And if you believe in Jesus, you will keep his commands, and his commands is that you love God with your whole being and your neighbors as your self. If you claim to believe (or know) God and do not love, you are not of God. So your faith in God must be backed up be your action. For faith without work is dead. It's only those who believe in God that will demonstrate such believe through good works.

1 Like

Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by GoodBoi1(m): 2:23pm On Oct 06, 2019
ServantsOfTruth:
I want to ask you just one question

If every pastor you know should die now who will you pay your tithe to?
From a physical point of view. Tithe is not paid to a pastor. Tithe is paid to support the work of God in church, to ensure that there is money to address the financial needs of a church. These needs also include things like giving to the poor, paying salaries, envagelism, outreaches, operation cost etc It's takes money to run a church. Even in the early church Christians sold properties and laid it at the apostles feet, how many Christians can do that now? From the scriptures no one even lacked anything because of the shared amongst themselves
Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by Apination(m): 2:23pm On Oct 06, 2019
gidjah:
hmmmm I kinda get your point here sir, I am a clergy and I shall ever be ready to tell my members that while thite are not a MUST in this new testament, (God already paid a thite of all , using Christ on the cross)Sacrificial giving and offerings are the very most important, since they are not under oath or law. I HAVE A QUESTION HERE TOO, WHO ARE THE LEVITES (without inheritance )in this new testament?the pastors, bishops, etc ??this would answer our questions and clear out our arguments
There are no levites in the new covenant. The priesthood of the new testament is that of Jesus who offered the ultimate sacrifice that through faith and belief in him, grace may abound. And there's what's called the common priesthood, which every Christian and believer shares in by virtue of their faith in Jesus with their inheritance based on the salvation which this faith gives.
Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by OkCornel(m): 2:25pm On Oct 06, 2019
For those claiming Abraham gave a tithe of all, by quoting scriptures out of context to suit their parochial narratives.

Let us clarify this. ABRAHAM DID NOT GIVE A TITHE OF EVERYTHING HE POSSESSED, HE GAVE A TITHE OF WARSPOILS ONLY

Hebrews 7 v 1 - 4;

1 For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him;
2 To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;
3 Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.
4 Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils.

2 Likes

Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by ufumes2: 2:26pm On Oct 06, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

What you've done is to make it seem like Jesus said we can trample on the laws of God in certain situations. This means that if you are praying to God to show you the way to treat your mother and he hasn't answered, you can go meet a sorcerer, a thing he commands against?

The Sabbath is a day meant for no work. People were meant not to do any work that brings monetary profit. That's why they could take their bath, eat, keep the house clean etc. But trading and doing business was prohibited.

The Pharisees went extreme by preventing every other activities, that's why they were surprised that Jesus healed a man on Sabbath day, something that is not business nor brings monetary profit.

Jesus had to explain to them that Sabbath doesn't prevent them from doing certain things. They simply didn't understand what Sabbath represented.

Helping an accident victim is good but don't call it you paying your tithe. Help the person them go pay your tithe.

You can't claim to love God whom you can't see when you don't love your neighbors that you can see. If the only cash left for you is the one you want to give God as tithe, he is right there before you as an accident victim, just like the good Samaritan, save that life with what you have. He would be proud of you. When I was hungry you gave me to eat... If indeed you believe that when you give your tithe you give it to God, then every help you render to the least of my brothers, you are doing it to the same God.
Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by Nobody: 2:27pm On Oct 06, 2019
jesusjnr:
It makes sense. Infact giving to the poor and needy is the only type of giving that Jesus said could determine if someone goes to heaven or not:

Matthew 25:34-36 (KJV)

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Matthew 19:21 (KJV)

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

Luke 12:33 (KJV)

33 Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.

But never tithing, for there was never a time in the whole Bible, not just in Jesus' teachings, it was said or even suggested that giving of tithes could be factorial in anyone making heaven or not.

In fact, if anything, it was shown to be very inconsequential in that respect, as the Pharisees who prided themselves so much in the giving of tithes, and used it to condemn others who don't tithe, were portrayed by Jesus as the chief candidates of hell during His ministry on Earth:

Matthew 23:15 (KJV)

15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

Matthew 23:33 (KJV)

33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?

So if you're someone who over-emphasizes tithing, be afraid for yourself. Or if you know someone else who does, be afraid for that person, for so did the Pharisees.

God bless.
You are too smart. You quoted vs 15 & 33 of Mat. 23 but you jumped vs 23 of the same chapter. Tithe may not be mandatory but it is compulsory.
Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by OkCornel(m): 2:29pm On Oct 06, 2019
Can someone point out where precisely in the scriptures God demanded for money as tithes?

When God required money for the needs of the Temple, He specifically mentioned where all Israelite males should be levied a temple tax of half a shekel every year. That was an instance of God clearly asking for money.

Refer to Exodus 30 v 13-16 for where God gave the instruction through Moses;

13 This shall every man give, that goeth into the number, half a shekel, after the [a]shekel of the Sanctuary: (a shekel is twenty gerahs) the half shekel shall be an offering to the Lord.
14 All that are numbered from twenty years old and above, shall give an offering to the Lord.
15 The rich shall not pass, and the poor shall not diminish from half a shekel, when ye shall give an offering unto the Lord, for the redemption of your lives.
16 So thou shalt take the money of the redemption of the children of Israel, and shalt put it unto the use of the Tabernacle of the Congregation, that it may be a memorial unto the children of Israel before the Lord, for the redemption of your lives.
BASED ON THE ABOVE, IT WAS CLEAR WHEN & HOW GOD ASKED FOR MONEY TO MAINTAIN THE TEMPLE...

NOW LET US EXAMINE GOD'S REQUIREMENT FOR TITHES BELOW;

Refer to Deuteronomy 14 v 22-29;

22 Thou shalt give the tithe of all the increase of thy seed, that cometh forth of the field year by year.
23 And thou shalt eat before the Lord thy God (in the place which he shall choose to cause his Name to dwell there) the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstborn of thy kine, and of thy sheep, that thou mayest learn to fear the Lord thy God always.
24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it, because the place is far from thee, where the Lord thy God shall choose to set his name, when the Lord thy God shall bless thee,
25 Then shalt thou make it in money, and take the money in thine hand, and go unto the place which the Lord thy God shall choose.
26 And thou shalt bestow the money for whatsoever thine heart desireth: whether it be ox, or sheep, or wine, or strong drink, or whatsoever thine heart desireth: and shalt eat it there before the Lord thy God, and rejoice, both thou, and thine household.

27 And the Levite that is within thy gates, shalt thou not forsake: for he hath neither part nor inheritance with thee.
28 At the end of three years thou shalt [e]bring forth all the tithes of thine increase of the same year, and lay it up within thy gates.
29 Then the Levite shall come, because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee, and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, and shall eat, and be filled, that the Lord thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

Based on the above verses, God clearly mentioned what is titheable, and money was not part of the items to be tithed.

IN CONCLUSION:
Any fraudster that comes with the excuse that money was not in use because the Israelites were predominantly farmers and cattle rearers...should read Exodus 30 v 13-16 and explain to us why God demanded money from these same Israelites...but specified crops and livestock as tithes in Deuteronomy 14 v 22-29;

Also, I'll be waiting for scriptural references where God made tithing mandatory for gentiles as well.

1 Like

Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by angelicwing: 2:29pm On Oct 06, 2019
Sheunma:
If you dont pay your tithe you are not going to heaven, full stop ... Pastor Adeboye , GO RCCG
So, Adeboye is your standard and not the Word of God as contained in the Bible? May the Lord help you and other children of business center owners aka pastors.
Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by djoe21(m): 2:31pm On Oct 06, 2019
alBHAGDADI:
This is a pure rubbish teaching coming from a Catholic Bishop of gay kingdom.

Where did God order that we should do what this preacher said with our tithe? Nowhere. What God said in Malachai 3:10 is that we should bring the tithe to his house. He didn't say we should branch somewhere else with it.

Yes, the pastor's idea seems like a reasonably brilliant and kind one, but that doesn't make it right in God's eyes. Remember that the way man thinks is different from the way God thinks.

Man thinks it is a good thing to give the tithe to someone in need of it. But where did God say such about tithe? Nowhere. He only said to bring it to his house and from there it is distributed to the needy.

Think of it this way: You are on your way to the hospital with 100k to pay for your child's medical bills. Suddenly you found a needy man. Be honest with yourself, will you give the money to the needy man to the detriment of your child in the hospital?

I can bet you won't. So why do you now think it is right to give your tithe to the needy man? Remember, it is God's money and you have no right to decide how to help God spend it, especially when he gave you no such order.

Look, don't let people bamboozle you weird scenarios like the one given by the preacher. Always stand by God's command. The tithe is his, and the only thing you can do with it is to take it to his house, nowhere else.

They may even use your child as an example, saying what if your child is sick and the money needed for treatment is equivalent to the tithe money you have, which is your last dime.

What will I say in this case? Give that money to God because it is his. At this point many will be kicking against me. Little do they know that they are kicking against Jesus who said...

Mathew 10:37
He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Why do you think Abraham is referred to as a friend of God today? Because he obeyed God by proceeding to sacrifice his son Isaac as commanded by God. He didn't think twice. But people who are not worthy of Jesus are the ones who will disobey him by doing the thoughts of their heart instead of his word.

Proverbs 3:5-6 (KJV)
5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Really? The only thing I can say is be careful so you don't toll the line of the 'Pharisees'

1 Like

Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by ufumes2: 2:32pm On Oct 06, 2019
Jesus came to teach us two most important commands, loving God and loving one another. When we weigh our actions against this two commands we can know if we are living in line with Jesus teachings.

If the decisions I make is in line with these two commands, then am certain that God is pleased with me. That's all that matters. So when I have I don't give out of obligation, I give my tithe because I love God, and because I want to promote the advancements of the good news. Giving itself is an act of trust in God whom you believe is the source of all goodness, that he is able to give back to you from the abundance of his goodness.

2 Likes

Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by 9jamustchange: 2:41pm On Oct 06, 2019
It is shocking that a Christian can call another a fool, a blind bat etc. with so much ease. If you do that, I beg you not to ignore such an important symptom of unclean heart. It signals a carnal heart that needs the washing and renewing by the word of God and of course deep repentance. He who calls his brother a fool is in danger of hell. Where is the Christian requirement to honour all men? If you can conveniently insult another without any feeling of guilt, my brother, you probably have to seriously consider if you are really in the faith!

2 Likes

Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by sexyking1: 2:45pm On Oct 06, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Jesus didn't mention tithe? Are you sure? Below is Jesus saying we shouldn't neglect it nor leave it undone.

Matthew 23:23 (KJV)
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

When you guys fail to accept the truth, you start to say falsehood.
This very passage indicted you fake believer! From what Jesus is saying here clearly meant for you hypocrite who left the poor and the needy and we're after paying tithe when you leave that (helping the poor and needy) undone. He said woe to you and your cohorts!

1 Like

Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by perousd: 2:51pm On Oct 06, 2019
Jesus said " Love your neighbor as yourself. ' He gave an illustration with the good Samaritan storyyy. Read and digest what we should be as Christians.
So before you help, you ask if he's a Christian, and if he's not, you deny him? Is that what the scriptures say? The scriptures encourage love to brethren because it was written majorly to brethren. But the emphasis on the new covenant talks about love. John 3 16 love. Agape love. God kinda love above everything else. Selfless love. Jesus says "Love your enemies and those who hate you with passion". For there , you will have a reward in heaven. It's obvious that many titled "church' has failed us but His true church will never die.
When a "Christian' picks doctrine over love, I know what exactly he is. A scam. Love is the greatest. Bigger than tithe and offering. Bigger than every law in the scriptures. Embrace it and make heaven Happy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by findout2: 2:54pm On Oct 06, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Where did God order that we should do what this preacher said with our tithe? Nowhere. What God said in Malachai 3:10 is that we should bring the tithe to his house. He didn't say we should branch somewhere else with it.

Yes, the pastor's idea seems like a reasonably brilliant and kind one, but that doesn't make it right in God's eyes. Remember that the way man thinks is different from the way God thinks.

Man thinks it is a good thing to give the tithe to someone in need of it. But where did God say such about tithe? Nowhere. He only said to bring it to his house and from there it is distributed to the needy.

Think of it this way: You are on your way to the hospital with 100k to pay for your child's medical bills. Suddenly you found a needy man. Be honest with yourself, will you give the money to the needy man to the detriment of your child in the hospital?

I can bet you won't. So why do you now think it is right to give your tithe to the needy man? Remember, it is God's money and you have no right to decide how to help God spend it, especially when he gave you no such order.

Look, don't let people bamboozle you weird scenarios like the one given by the preacher. Always stand by God's command. The tithe is his, and the only thing you can do with it is to take it to his house, nowhere else.

They may even use your child as an example, saying what if your child is sick and the money needed for treatment is equivalent to the tithe money you have, which is your last dime.

What will I say in this case? Give that money to God because it is his. At this point many will be kicking against me. Little do they know that they are kicking against Jesus who said...

He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Why do you think Abraham is referred to as a friend of God today? Because he obeyed God by proceeding to sacrifice his son Isaac as commanded by God. He didn't think twice. But people who are not worthy of Jesus are the ones who will disobey him by doing the thoughts of their heart instead of his word.

5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
after insulting a church you decide to quote Bible? and u think you will make heaven b4 any catholic member? it is because of christians like you that we have stopped going to church. i am very ashamed of what u typed. rubbish
Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by Nobody: 3:04pm On Oct 06, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Jesus received tithe in Genesis 14. He ordered it in the Old Testament and upheld it in the New Testament in Mathew 23:23. As long as he didn't put a stop to it, no man has the right to stop it. Doing such would mean you are speaking where God has not spoken. That's why the Apostles didn't stop it. Since it is not written that the Apostles went to the toilet, why not stop going to the toilet?

Will you stop deceiving yourself? What tithe are you talking about here? is it not the one that was manadated in Deut. 14 22:29?

Take it easy man and remembered what was written in the book of Revelation that you don't add or remove from the word of God?

If there is another tithe you are fighting for, kindly let us know. Thank you
Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by mechanics(m): 3:07pm On Oct 06, 2019
Hmmmmm, I disagree with that, money for the needy is different from tithes.
Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by ebukason3(m): 3:12pm On Oct 06, 2019
Oga study the scriptures before you comment, if you know your bible very well, you will know what the bible said about giving tithe to the poor, widow, etc [see Det 14:28-29 ] which you will find even before Malachi 3
alBHAGDADI:

Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by silibaba: 3:22pm On Oct 06, 2019
DarkJeddi:
RELIGION IS A SCAM.. cool

100 percent
Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by Onliie(m): 3:29pm On Oct 06, 2019
Lies. Beware of the leaven of the pharisees
Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by Nobody: 3:32pm On Oct 06, 2019
GoodBoi1:

From a physical point of view. Tithe is not paid to a pastor. Tithe is paid to support the work of God in church, to ensure that there is money to address the financial needs of a church. These needs also include things like giving to the poor, paying salaries, envagelism, outreaches, operation cost etc It's takes money to run a church. Even in the early church Christians sold properties and laid it at the apostles feet, how many Christians can do that now? From the scriptures no one even lacked anything because of the shared amongst themselves

Where was that writing in the bible? You guys are not even afraid of the curses that was laid for false teachings? Where did tithe became a trust fund?

God command us to eat our tithe, will that, we are respecting him. Eat your tithe and also remember the poor and the Levites. Don't give tithe to any pastor! Your tithe is for you and also for you to help the less privileged
Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by Lotechi(m): 3:39pm On Oct 06, 2019
That could only be correct assuming the collection of tithe was sanctioned by God. Simply, tithe collection is a scam.
Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by Onliie(m): 3:44pm On Oct 06, 2019
ebukason3:
Oga study the scriptures before you comment, if you know your bible very well, you will know what the bible said about giving tithe to the poor, widow, etc [see Det 14:28-29 ] which you will find even before Malachi 3
that verse said at the end of three years, that is definitely another special kind of tithe, not the regular ones.
Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by jattopeter(m): 3:45pm On Oct 06, 2019
fairfora:
May God continue to give you divine wisdom. I said all these to a nairalander in the past week when we were discussing some important points in the scripture. If our Lord Jesus didn't emphasize tithe when he was in human flesh, preaching the gospel but dwelling more on holiness and repentance of sin, helping the needy...I just keyed into it. I don't want to mention how much I give but it's more than the so called tithe and it goes to the poor and needy mostly. It's always a selfish move when some preachers would dwell only on the old testament just to back their sermons on tithe with little emphasis on what Christ preaches. if you're blessed by God but you don't give enough, it's up to you. If you now give more than the so called tithe, then your blessings would overflow.
God will bless you the More. I dwell more on Jesus Christ's teaching more than what somebody say. What Christ dwell more on we neglected it and we are so concern with what he barely talked abt. Jesus Christ was going abt doing good, he will preach to some people and still feed them . Who are we deceiving? Love your neighbor , do good to your neighbor. Have you read abt the story of good Samaritan? God bless you. Selah

2 Likes

Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by khalids: 3:49pm On Oct 06, 2019
jesusjnr:
It makes sense. Infact giving to the poor and needy is the only type of giving that Jesus said could determine if someone goes to heaven or not:

Matthew 25:34-36 (KJV)

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Matthew 19:21 (KJV)

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

Luke 12:33 (KJV)

33 Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.

But never tithing, for there was never a time in the whole Bible, not just in Jesus' teachings, it was said or even suggested that giving of tithes could be factorial in anyone making heaven or not.

In fact, if anything, it was shown to be very inconsequential in that respect, as the Pharisees who prided themselves so much in the giving of tithes, and used it to condemn others who don't tithe, were portrayed by Jesus as the chief candidates of hell during His ministry on Earth:

Matthew 23:15 (KJV)

15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

Matthew 23:33 (KJV)

33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?

So if you're someone who over-emphasizes tithing, be afraid for yourself. Or if you know someone else who does, be afraid for that person, for so did the Pharisees.

God bless.

This is all i have to reply you
Matthew 25:35-40 New International Version (NIV)
35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Remember God is not man and those not think like we do

Isaiah 55:8-9 New King James Version (NKJV)
8 “For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,” says the Lord.
9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways,
And My thoughts than your thoughts.
Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by AthosEsq: 4:08pm On Oct 06, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

You have forgotten that our bodies are the temples of God abi?
You have also forgotten where Jesus Christ himself spoke and said whatever you do to the list of my brothers, that you do unto me.
When you give your tithe to the needy, you have given it to God.
God is not your village Oracle... You can't wrongly quote inapplicable verses if the Bible to portray him in a wicked manner.
Jesus also said that the Sabbath is made for man, not man for the Sabbath. This was when he expantiated on the teaching of not working on the Sabbath. Where it is necessary and expedient, God allows the use of reasonable discretion.
Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by Nobody: 4:13pm On Oct 06, 2019
Onliie:
that verse said at the end of three years, that is definitely another special kind of tithe, not the regular ones.

Kindly quote the regular one. Where and how it is being mandated
Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by Frankchinonso: 4:19pm On Oct 06, 2019
Noted
Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by ojonugwap(m): 4:29pm On Oct 06, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

I guess you're one of them greedy God of men
Go read your Bible Deuteronomy 14 :22

1 Like

Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by gidjah(m): 4:37pm On Oct 06, 2019
Apination:

There are no levites in the new covenant. The priesthood of the new testament is that of Jesus who offered the ultimate sacrifice that through faith and belief in him, grace may abound. And there's what's called the common priesthood, which every Christian and believer shares in by virtue of their faith in Jesus with their inheritance based on the salvation which this faith gives.
ok, got that
Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by akinsam2: 4:53pm On Oct 06, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Hope I'm not too late to add my comment.

Well, firstly I think your first sentence has blinded people to actually see the point you're making. It sounds indicting and really not needed. I like the way you narrate your opinion. And the take away point is that God values faith channeled to obedience.

however
From the story you gave. Particularly about having a child in the hospital and helping a stranger. Imagine if the so called stranger is your other Child? Wont You Help him still?
Both the stranger and your child are God's children and we've been commanded to help(love) them

in reality of God's word.
We are no longer owing God anything aside returning all praises and glory to Him. With respect to Mal 3. People under the old covenant were ungrateful and had to be commanded to give tithe in order to be blessed. Or stay cursed. still some refused. With these and many more is why Jesus had to come and abolish the plan. He paid everything with His blood. And we don't have to pay tithe before we can be blessed.

Tithe however is a proof of gratitude for what God has done already and not for what he will do. And also is not all about money, it could be in form of your time and selfless service to God through man.

Tithe given in church is for God going to the needy (God's children)

Tithe giving to the neighbour in dire need is also for God that has gone to one of his child.

Giving is the Kingdom principle behind tithing.

Let's give tithe in the church and please also don't turn down opportunities to help the needy.

Remember the story of the Samaritan woman.

God bless
Re: Father John Chinenye Oluoma: Your Tithe Saves The Needy, You Haven't Robbed God by Izabel(f): 4:55pm On Oct 06, 2019
Blackvic1:
i Support the rev from all you said you just sounded like a Pharisee either you are a pastor well if not I don’t see any reason why you are defending them first of what Jesus instructed us to do is help the needy your neighbor it will be counted unto you if I have my tithe and my Neighbour hasn’t paid his rent I will give it to my Neighbour instead of bringing it to the church that will be counter to me as Blessing Nigerian Christians are very funny..,always translating the Bible to fit there selfish greedy and manipulative plans

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Minority Party Will Be Lifted Up In Nigeria – TB Joshua / Christian's Chatbox Game/Party Night - May 4th@ 10pm Gmt -ALL CHRISTIANS INVITED / His Pastor Shared His Confidential Information While Preaching

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.