Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,500 members, 7,932,626 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 10:17 AM

"niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. (10937 Views)

James Ibori To Justice Minister Malami: "Ibori Loot Does Not Exist" / Buhari To Continue Amnesty Programme For Niger Delta / Katsina Stoning: Niger Delta “ll Retaliate, Says Dokubo Asari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by Beaf: 1:51pm On Nov 06, 2010
Dede1:

I am not canvassing for change of name but stating factual facts backed by natural denudation of the earth. Tributary or affluent is a stream or small river that flows into a big river. Confluence is where two or more bodies of water meet together. Benue, Imo, Orashi, Utamiri and Qua Ibo rivers are not tributaries of River Niger. Imo River entered Atlantic Ocean as does Niger. Again, Lokoja is not called confluence town for nothing.

I don't know where you got your definition of confluence from, but it is faulty.

In geography, a confluence is the meeting of two or more bodies of water. The opposite of a watershed, it usually refers to the point where a tributary joins a more major river, called the mainstem, when that major river is also the highest order stream in the drainage basin. It is also used in vernacular language as the source (river or stream)—headwaters where two streams meet to become a river of a new name, such as the Los Angeles River at its Canoga Park confluence—headwaters.

The term is also used to describe the meeting of tidal or other non-riverine bodies of water, such as two canals[1] or a canal and a lake.[2] A one-mile (1.6 km) portion of the Industrial Canal in New Orleans accommodates the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway and the Mississippi River-Gulf Outlet Canal; therefore those three waterways are confluent there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confluence

The above is a proper definition of confluence. The Benue is a tributary of the Niger, if you wrote otherwise in a geography exam, you would fail.
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by Beaf: 1:53pm On Nov 06, 2010
Dede1:

Like one poster has previously stated, all these clamoring, posturing and encoding of term, Niger Delta, are blindly spurred by crude oil.

Yeah, when the first oil rigs were put down, it miraculously created a delta.
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by Beaf: 1:56pm On Nov 06, 2010
alj harem:

beaf and sapeleguy

to be honest, i have always supported south-south

but this geo-political zone of niger/delta  was part of the benin kingdom

this zone does not exist to stand on there own, it is for the igbos in the real sense

ondo and delta are for the yorubas

before the war, igbos were the majority of ppl living there and ruled as a regional leader

before the oil was found sapele and warri were part of the yoruba kingdom and are still are

crossriver etc were igbos, so why are u trying to create and identity that does not exist

just like middlebelt ppl are doing but theres is understandable

do not deceive urself to think "if" nigeria split u would not split with it

the igbos would take there part of the nigerdelta and the yoruba edo would do the same, the middlebelt are the only ones that can choose to be were they want to be 

so please my brothers do not decieve urselves to think u have a zone in nigeria

it was just done by obj to decieve u ppl that u have a geo-political zone which is a lie

the sooner u u and the igbos that talking on how to be one the better

ikerri and ika and co are just decieving them selves

What a load of crap!

Everything you have written is either absolutely false, ignorant or foolish assumption. It only goes to prove my point that people arguing about the existence of the Niger Delta are thoroughly ignorant and loud.
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by aljharem(m): 1:59pm On Nov 06, 2010
Beaf:

Everything you have written is either ignorant or foolish assumption. It only goes to prove my point that people arguing about the existence of the Niger Delta are thoroughly ignorant and loud.
angry angry angry

no one said niger/delta did not exist, it existed but no as a geo-political zone, until now

all i am saying is that some of it is part of alaigbo kingdom

and some of it is part of the yoruba/benin kingdom
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by Beaf: 2:02pm On Nov 06, 2010
alj harem:

angry angry angry

no one said niger/delta did not exist

all i am saying is that some of it is part of alaigbo kingdom

and some of it is part of the yoruba/benin kingdom

Your foolishness knows no bounds, are you bluetooth?
You open your mouth to mention rubbish and lies about Warri and Sapele being in some mythical "Yoruba kingdom" (amongst other deafeningly foolish assertions). . . and you think you should be taken seriously?
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by aljharem(m): 2:10pm On Nov 06, 2010
Beaf:

Your foolishness knows no bounds, are you bluetoothe?
You open your mouth to mention rubbish and lies about Warri and Sapele being in some mythical "Yoruba kingdom" (amongst other deafeningly foolish assertions). . . and you think you should be taken seriously?

there is an hausa saying
Ya yi ƙoƙarin yaudari waɗansu dai ruɗi kansa ke
he who try to decieve others only deceives himself

so do not decieve urself but know the truth and it shall set u free from ur ignorance

what the hell is niger/delta

i am trying to tell u the truth that u not exist as a zone but a pawn by the pdp to weaken the igbo, and u fell for it dumb

we in the north, whether kanuri etc call ourself 'one north'

some of this land belong to yoruba/edo kingdom ie delta and some part of baylsa state

the rest is igbo, so stop decieveing urself trying not to identify with the igbo
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by Nobody: 2:14pm On Nov 06, 2010
@bluetooth

I don't seem to get your points, what do you want defined for you, before the term Nigeria came into place their was the term called oil rivers protectorate, it was later called the Niger Coast Protectorate by the British and these was all before the advent of Nigeria being in existence, the Niger delta area was initially made up presently 3 states rivers, bayelsa and delta, your confusing the region where the tributaries of the river niger pass through and the geograpic locations where oil is found in the south region, It was for political reasons and for the locations of oil that Obasanjo included some other states into the region. if you say there is no niger delta region you can as well say there is no Nigeria because even Nigeria was culled from NIGER-AREA.
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by aljharem(m): 2:15pm On Nov 06, 2010
beaf and co

u guys are igbo whether u like it or not

deal with it

in fact, the faster u guyz learn igbo or yoruba the better it is for u ppl

this mend thing is getting to far, that's why nigerdelta can talk now

i think ones the military really get involved with this ppl, i think it would end
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by Beaf: 2:16pm On Nov 06, 2010
alj harem:

beaf and co

u guys are igbo whether u like it or not

deal with it

in fact, the faster u guyz learn igbo or yoruba the better it is for u ppl

this mend thing is getting to far, that's why nigerdelta can talk now

i think ones the military really get involved with this ppl, i think it would end

Its now confirmed that you are a fool. Next!
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by aljharem(m): 2:16pm On Nov 06, 2010
babasoty:

@bluetooth

I don't seem to get your points, what do you want defined for you, before the term Nigeria came into place their was the term called oil rivers protectorate, it was later called the Niger Coast Protectorate by the British and these was all before the advent of Nigeria being in existence, the Niger delta area was initially made up presently 3 states rivers, bayelsa and delta, your confusing the region where the tributaries of the river niger pass through and the geograpic locations where oil is found in the south region, It was for political reasons and for the locations of oil that Obasanjo included some other states into the region. if you say there is no niger delta region you can as well say there is no Nigeria because even Nigeria was culled from NIGER-AREA.

u are very correct
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by Nobody: 2:18pm On Nov 06, 2010
beaf and sapeleguy

to be honest, i have always supported south-south

but this geo-political zone of niger/delta  was part of the benin kingdom

this zone does not exist to stand on there own, it is for the igbos in the real sense

ondo and delta are for the yorubas

before the war, igbos were the majority of ppl living there and ruled as a regional leader

before the oil was found sapele and warri were part of the yoruba kingdom and are still are

crossriver etc were igbos, so why are u trying to create and identity that does not exist

just like middlebelt ppl are doing but theres is understandable

do not deceive urself to think "if" nigeria split u would not split with it

the igbos would take there part of the nigerdelta and the yoruba edo would do the same, the middlebelt are the only ones that can choose to be were they want to be  

so please my brothers do not decieve urselves to think u have a zone in nigeria

it was just done by obj to decieve u ppl that u have a geo-political zone which is a lie

the sooner u u and the igbos that talking on how to be one the better

ikerri and ika and co are just decieving them selves

THIS GUY PROBABLY NEVER HAD HISTORY CLASSES.LOL
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by Beaf: 2:21pm On Nov 06, 2010
alj harem:

u are very correct

In that case, you must now agree you are a donkey who has been making foolish arguments. Next time the bell rings, make sure you go to school.
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by aljharem(m): 2:29pm On Nov 06, 2010
angry angry angry

Ina da mota

look, even jonathan is playing a very dangerous game

any wrong move might spell disaster for ijaw and nigerdelta
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by aljharem(m): 2:34pm On Nov 06, 2010
babasoty:

THIS GUY PROBABLY NEVER HAD HISTORY CLASSES.LOL

sharrp dia, angry angry angry

do u know how old i am

so what history do u know
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by Dede1(m): 2:42pm On Nov 06, 2010
Beaf:

I don't know where you got your definition of confluence from, but it is faulty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confluence

The above is a proper definition of confluence. The Benue is a tributary of the Niger, if you wrote otherwise in a geography exam, you would fail.

Are you sure that you are not creating contradiction? Let us see, compare and contrast the definitions of confluence. Mine is “Confluence is where two or more bodies of water meet together”. 

The link you posted, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confluence =  In geography, a confluence is the meeting of two or more bodies of water.
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by Nobody: 3:02pm On Nov 06, 2010
sharrp dia,

do u know how old i am

so what history do u know

you could be 100 years old and still be a dunce, please you guys should try as much as possible to do your research before coming to post on a public forum, you never heard of the kalabari kingdom, bonny kingdom or opobo kingdom before saying they were all under benin rule, the benin kingdom extended over parts of present day delta state "
By the middle of the sixteenth century, perhaps earlier, the Oba of Benin ruled over an area which spread from the region of modern Lagos to the Igbo-speaking communities of the present Delta State
"http://www.raceandhistory.com/historicalviews/edoofbenin.htm, so don't go saying the whole niger delta region was under benin rule.
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by Dede1(m): 3:09pm On Nov 06, 2010
Beaf:

Yeah, when the first oil rigs were put down, it miraculously created a delta.

If the so-called Niger Delta is full of useless silts, we shall not have this discussion now. It would amount to terrible dishonesty to discount the presence of crude oil in the political shenanigans surrounding the talk of Niger Delta.
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by aljharem(m): 3:15pm On Nov 06, 2010
babasoty:

you could be 100 years old and still be a dunce, please you guys should try as much as possible to do your research before coming to post on a public forum, you never heard of the kalabari kingdom, bonny kingdom or opobo kingdom before saying they were all under benin rule, the benin kingdom extended over parts of present day delta state "[/b]"[b]http://www.raceandhistory.com/historicalviews/edoofbenin.htm, so don't go saying the whole niger delta region was under benin rule.
angry angry angry angry angry angry

do you know those kingdom broke away from benin kingdom.
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by Beaf: 3:18pm On Nov 06, 2010
Dede1:

If the so-called Niger Delta is full of useless silts, we shall not have this discussion now. It would amount to terrible dishonesty to discount the presence of crude oil in the political shenanigans surrounding the talk of Niger Delta.

To you, it is all about oil. To we who hail from there, it is about geographical identity. Saying the Niger Delta does not exist is at par with saying things like, "Lagos does not exist," or "Anambra does not exist." It is highly insulting.
I'm at a loss that you cannot see the trap you have fallen into, so badly that you are now proudly camped with strange bedfellows.
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by Beaf: 3:19pm On Nov 06, 2010
babasoty:

you could be 100 years old and still be a dunce, please you guys should try as much as possible to do your research before coming to post on a public forum, you never heard of the kalabari kingdom, bonny kingdom or opobo kingdom before saying they were all under benin rule, the benin kingdom extended over parts of present day delta state "[/b]"[b]http://www.raceandhistory.com/historicalviews/edoofbenin.htm, so don't go saying the whole niger delta region was under benin rule.

Word! cool
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by aljharem(m): 3:20pm On Nov 06, 2010
Beaf:

Word! cool
Beaf:

To you, it is all about oil. To we who hail from there, it is about geographical identity. saying the Niger Delta does not exist is at par with saying things like, "Lagos does not exist," or "Anambra does not exist."
I'm at a loss that you cannot see the trap you have fallen into, so badly that you are now proudly camped with strange bedfellows.
angry angry angry angry angry angry
beaf beaf beaf beaf!!!!!!
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by jason12345: 3:27pm On Nov 06, 2010
Beaf:

T[b]o you, it is all about oil. To we who hail from there, it is about geographical identity. Saying the Niger Delta does not exist is at par with saying things like, "Lagos does not exist," or "Anambra does not exist." It is highly insulting.[/b]

at bolded,

i feel you!!!
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by Abagworo(m): 3:33pm On Nov 06, 2010
Dede1:

You are woefully wrong pal because there is nothing such as “Niger Delta”. The southern Nigerian deltas were formed by Rivers Niger, Benue, Imo, Anambra, Orashi, Utamiri, Qua Ibuo, Forcados and Escravos. Again, River Niger is not the only river in Nigeria that finds its way to the Atlantic Ocean. If River Niger dries up today, there shall till be delta in southern Nigeria.

We do not doubt that river Niger is not the only River but why deny the existence of Niger Delta?
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 06, 2010
do you know those kingdom broke away from benin kingdom.

funny, when you say broke away that means that means they should share some common traits or culture, why don't you list any and also show proof of they being part of the Benin kingdom, don't post comments you can't back up with facts to boost your egocentric and bloated ego, you ridicule yourself that way, just accept facts and take it as a learning process it would really help you than war-war over something you cant back up.Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance ---Will Durant
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by Beaf: 4:25pm On Nov 06, 2010
jason12345:

at bolded,

i feel you!!!

Dude, this is one of the numerous sideways attacks we should expect from tribal supremacists. They see the area as packed with small sized ethnicities they feel they should lord it over; but each time they get near they get a bloody black eye! grin grin grin
Warri no de carry last (extrpolate that to Yenegoa, Port harcourt and pilele)!

Their style is to first say our area doesn't exist, next (just as alj harem has done) they will say our ethnic groups do not exist; if they aren't confronted now, they will finally walk into our compounds and tell us that our kids are bastar'ds and our wives are theirs for the taking.
We need to pull together to fight off outside tribalists and stoutly protect and empower our smallest groups, whether they be Anioma Igbo, Isoko or Itsekiri etc. There are many wolves and vultures at the door.
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by Beaf: 4:29pm On Nov 06, 2010
Abagworo:

We do not doubt that river Niger is not the only River but why deny the existence of Niger Delta?

To say I am gobsmacked at Dede's stance is an understatement, it is most unusual. His sentiments have led him into an open trap.
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by jason12345: 4:33pm On Nov 06, 2010
Beaf:

Dude, this is one of the numerous sideways attacks we should expect from tribal supremacists. They see the area as packed with small sized ethnicities they feel they should lord it over; but each time they get near they get a bloody black eye! grin grin grin

Their style is to first say our area doesn't exist, next (just as alj harem has done) they will say our ethnic groups do not exist; if they aren't confronted now, they will finally walk into our compounds and tell us that our kids are bastar'ds and our wives are theirs for the taking.
We need to pull together to fight off outside tribalists and stoutly protect and empower our smallest groups, whether they be Anioma Igbo, Isoko or Itsekiri etc. There are many wolves and vultures at the door.

true!!! i never support any group claiming to be the creator of other groups!!! if nupe say they are not yoruba why force them. same as itsekiris, i the elders say they are not yoruba why force them

[size=15pt]our diversity should be our strength  not our weakness!!!!!!!!![/size]
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by aljharem(m): 4:35pm On Nov 06, 2010
babasoty:

funny, when you say broke away that means that means they should share some common traits or culture, why don't you list any and also show proof of they being part of the Benin kingdom, don't post comments you can't back up with facts to boost your egocentric and bloated ego, you ridicule yourself that way, just accept facts and take it as a learning process it would really help you than war-war over something you cant back up.Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance ---Will Durant

angry angry angry angry angry, why, oh why angry angry angry
Beaf:

i want to ask u a question

what is nigerdelta
is it a zone
it is a geo-political zone
is just where the sub-south-south group minorities are playing games
or is it just an expression use to define minorities
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by aljharem(m): 4:39pm On Nov 06, 2010
Beaf:

in what is south-south angry angry angry
what is this south-south angry angry angry
tell me what south-south is angry angry

pls let me know what this name or word is angry angry angry

beaf don't make me angry ohh angry angry angry

is south-south meant to be dominated by the ijaws and igbo or just ijaws

i am trying to explain to and u are !!!!!!!!! angry angry angry
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by aljharem(m): 4:40pm On Nov 06, 2010
jason12345:

true!!! i never support any group claiming to be the creator of other groups!!! if nupe say they are not yoruba why force them. same as itsekiris, i the elders say they are not yoruba why force them

[size=15pt]our diversity should be our strength  not our weakness!!!!!!!!![/size]

what diversity, jason something something angry angry angry angry
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by Beaf: 4:41pm On Nov 06, 2010
alj harem:

what is nigerdelta
is it a zone
it is a geo-political zone
is just where the sub-south-south group minorities are playing games
or is it just an expression use to define minorities

1. Open your dictionary and find out the meaning of "delta"
2. Grab an atlas, first locate Nigeria, then locate the Niger River and its delta

They say, "ignorance is no excuse before the law." Someone should extend that to the internet.
Re: "niger-delta" Does Not Exist? True Or False. by Obiagu1(m): 4:42pm On Nov 06, 2010

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Oil Marketers Paid Labaru Maku To Protest Fuel Subsidy Removal / Local Governments In Anambra State / The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.