Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,629 members, 7,918,031 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 08:49 PM

Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst - Programming (132) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst (345841 Views)

Chronicle Of A Data/cloud Engineer / Net Salary For A Data Analyst Or Scientist Or Web Dev / Aspiring Data Scientist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) ... (147) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by KlausMichaelson: 10:47pm On Jul 17, 2022
Kaycee54321:

cheesy

I can relate.

The fact that you do your job and have time to spare means that you've efficiently developed a system that works for you...

Don't even let naysayers get into your head...

If e easy, make them run am.

If you spend 30 mins to do a job, the company is paying you for the several months you used in learning how to deliver in 30 mins...and not the 30 mins you spent on the job.

Also, try & learn to play the game of office politics.
The data sphere is not really hardcore tech because you'd deal with a lot of personnel who you rely on for data...unlike in software engineering where it's you, your God and your code.

In my place of work, we use Google sheets as online data collation tool...sometimes, I lock the entire thing...so when you wanna make an input, you'll call my attention to it...and I unlock for you... afterall, na me build am.

Random acts like that really reduced the rate at which some never-do-wells left their own job to come and be checking what I do with my time...

Thanks for your well thought-out advice. I will work on it. Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by KlausMichaelson: 10:52pm On Jul 17, 2022
Hinokami:

Same situation here although it isnt my boss complaining, but colleagues who think I came to take over part of their jobs.

Age is also a factor as no one fancies a younger person sitting in the office while they are out in the field giving them instructions. so they make my work difficult.
Also beware of imposter syndrome and fear of being sacked...everyday i feel my job is too easy as i quickly round up my tasks before noon aside adhoc requests. I keep myself busy by upskilling and improving my portfolio. Don't make the mistake of being too comfortable with where you are.

My advise, put on a show, make them see that your job is actually difficult, don't be naive to impress them by working fast all the time. Probably why they push extra tasks to you.

You cant avoid the research work she gives you, I would even be happy to take on it because it is another skill to put on your resume.

Always see the positive side okay..

You are already upskilling so that is all.

Thanks for this. I will put on a show honestly. Only that making the job take more time will make me deceptive to myself because at the end of the day I won't have time for my personal things. Thanks once again.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Kaesyrn(m): 4:34pm On Jul 18, 2022

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Ejiod(m): 6:38am On Jul 19, 2022
Everyone right now

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by uthlaw: 8:52pm On Jul 21, 2022
Bibitayo2:
Sent
good day boss,I just come across this post,can you please help me with the PDF of the excel!
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Sirwallace(m): 10:57pm On Jul 21, 2022
Kaycee54321:

cheesy

I can relate.

The fact that you do your job and have time to spare means that you've efficiently developed a system that works for you...

Don't even let naysayers get into your head...

If e easy, make them run am.

If you spend 30 mins to do a job, the company is paying you for the several months you used in learning how to deliver in 30 mins...and not the 30 mins you spent on the job.

Also, try & learn to play the game of office politics.
The data sphere is not really hardcore tech because you'd deal with a lot of personnel who you rely on for data...unlike in software engineering where it's you, your God and your code.

In my place of work, we use Google sheets as online data collation tool...sometimes, I lock the entire thing...so when you wanna make an input, you'll call my attention to it...and I unlock for you... afterall, na me build am.

Random acts like that really reduced the rate at which some never-do-wells left their own job to come and be checking what I do with my time...

You are very smart.

I solved some bugs for new guys where I work and they all looked at my like a genius.

What they don't realised is I have spent hunderds of hours debugging code and implementing stud they are just getting to know.

They pay me for those hundreds of hours higher than theirs like you said.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Blesser28(m): 2:49am On Jul 23, 2022
Please guys can I start learning excel with my phone
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by AgentGoat: 11:57am On Jul 23, 2022
Raalsalghul:

Software Engineering.

What is your reason?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by ALFERED007: 11:25am On Jul 25, 2022
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by SparkleSix: 1:04pm On Jul 25, 2022
Greetings bosses,

I am currently looking for a good project topic to use as my final year project topic and my project supervisor mentioned that he would love me to choose a top in the AI niche.

Now the problem is that I am not all that into AI and Machine Learning, I am more of a web/Blockchain developer guy. But I have played around with a few beginner lessons in the past.

So after some weeks of research, I finally settled for the topic "A web based Breast cancer prediction system"

But then, I need some insights if it's possible to hook up a breast cancer prediction model to a web based framework (I work with Reactjs)?

How feasible is it?

I also observed that during the training of a prediction model using something like Naive Bayes the data set is divided into training and test set at a ratio of say 80:20 for the training and test data set respectively.

What if I want to make a prediction of just one row of data, will it turn out good?

I want the web based version to have individual input fields where one can enter their data and then this calls the prediction model and pass in the values and in turn gives a response of the prediction value. E.g "Has cancer" or "You don't have Cancer"

I need some insights on this because I want to start the development of the project web app first before brushing up some machine learning crash course to hook it up.

Cc: KlausMichaelson, Ejiod, all the gurus and OGs of the thread.

Arigato.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by JohnnyBling(m): 4:27pm On Jul 25, 2022
Hi guys, been following up with this thread and finally I've gotten over the spirit of procrastination and ready to start my journey into the world of Data analytics. I'm lame when it comes to laptop operating and I want to know how to to start. Any idea would be helpful and personal I'll continue reading up on this thread and making extensive research as well
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by JohnnyBling(m): 4:31pm On Jul 25, 2022
Please guys where can I get free pdf on sql
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Prinss: 7:40am On Jul 26, 2022
JohnnyBling:
Please guys where can I get free pdf on sql
1. Pdfdrive.com
2. Z-library.com

3 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Prinss: 7:41am On Jul 26, 2022
JohnnyBling:
Hi guys, been following up with this thread and finally I've gotten over the spirit of procrastination and ready to start my journey into the world of Data analytics. I'm lame when it comes to laptop operating and I want to know how to to start. Any idea would be helpful and personal I'll continue reading up on this thread and making extensive research as well

Try datacamp.com for a start. To get a feel of what data analysis is like

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Kaycee54321(m): 8:04am On Jul 26, 2022
Morning guys... pretend you're an interviewer...

You got 3000+ rows of data in Excel...you want to to test a potential hire for competence in use of Macros and formulas to manipulate the data to make everything make sense...

What will you be looking out for/testing?

P.S.
I personally think that the data space here on NL drags a bit slower than the other dev/tech careers...

3 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by JohnnyBling(m): 8:26am On Jul 26, 2022
Prinss:

1. Pdfdrive.com
2. Z-library.com
Bless you bro, thanks
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by JohnnyBling(m): 8:30am On Jul 26, 2022
Prinss:

Try datacamp.com for a start. To get a feel of what data analysis is like
This is cream, exactly what I needed. Thanks bro
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Prinss: 11:37am On Jul 26, 2022
JohnnyBling:

This is cream, exactly what I needed. Thanks bro

No problem
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by nectarmama(f): 12:01pm On Jul 26, 2022
in the mean time you can Get Trained in the state-of-the-art training facility housing an Automation studio with complete process plant consisting of a process skid, electrical and instrument junction buses, MCC, marshalling cabinet, ICSS cabinet, Package ucp, network cabinet, etc.
reach us @advanxis.com or whatsapp us on 081600522942
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 3:30pm On Jul 26, 2022
AgentGoat:

What is your reason?

My reason is location dependent.

It's easier to get a role in Software Engineering in Nigeria compared to Data Analytics.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Patdgreat001: 4:02pm On Jul 26, 2022
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by virginboy1(m): 4:38pm On Jul 26, 2022
interesting thread
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Hinokami: 4:45pm On Jul 26, 2022
Lets talk
Sent you a DM

Patdgreat001:
If you’re savvy in Business analytics and based in Nigeria kindly shoot me a DM. I’ve got a gig for you. Mind you, We’ll be working together to meet targets. You’ve to be a pro in the field, else there’ll be no point reaching out!

You should be proficient in every aspect of excel.
Python
SQL
Power Bi/Tablue
And any other business transformation software.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by virginboy1(m): 5:44am On Jul 27, 2022
wisdomremz:
just wanted to drop this
if you are a beginner and willing to start a career in data science without any skill, you should start with excel then sql..

if you prefer videos for training in details

you can get full trainings on excel and sql server from beginner to advance in details from YouTube below;

1) for excel- watch *excelisfun* YouTube channel cover all you need from beginner to advance and also using excel for data analysis

2) for sql server- watch *kudvenkat* youtube channel covers all about sql server from beginner to advance its quite long(winks)

with this you're 30% covered in data science..

I love video tutorial cos you watch Wat is taught been put in use and you can perform simultaneously, books can be used for references.
Thank you for this
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by semmyk(m): 9:42am On Jul 27, 2022
Congrats coming this far.
hook up a breast cancer prediction model to a web based framework
web based version to have individual input fields
I want to start the development of the project web app first before brushing up some machine learning crash course to hook it up

The core of your work is the ML, then some DS. So start with the ML/DS.
With working model, you simply 'hook-up' to web with framework like Flask (possibly Django might be an overkill in this instance).
However, Streamlit might just get it all done for you
- clean up (preprocess) your dataset | #critical
- split dataset
- build model and fit to data
- save model
- load model and wrap up web interface with streamlit
- write-up explaining concept, consideration, parameters ...

training and test data set
This might come through in overfitted or underfitted. Both you want to avoid. More so for research project, you'll have to "discuss" this and answer examiners.
SparkleSix:
Greetings bosses,
I am currently looking for a good project topic to use as my final year project topic and my project supervisor mentioned that he would love me to choose a top in the AI niche.
... ...
So after some weeks of research, I finally settled for the topic "A web based Breast cancer prediction system"
But then, I need some insights if it's possible to hook up a breast cancer prediction model to a web based framework (I work with Reactjs)?
How feasible is it?
I also observed that during the training of a prediction model using something like Naive Bayes the data set is divided into training and test set at a ratio of say 80:20 for the training and test data set respectively.
What if I want to make a prediction of just one row of data, will it turn out good?
I want the web based version to have individual input fields where one can enter their data and then this calls the prediction model and pass in the values and in turn gives a response of the prediction value. E.g "Has cancer" or "You don't have Cancer"
I need some insights on this because I want to start the development of the project web app first before brushing up some machine learning crash course to hook it up.
Cc: KlausMichaelson, Ejiod, all the gurus and OGs of the thread.
Arigato.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by cochtrane(m): 5:43pm On Jul 27, 2022
I hope you guys applied for the Google Developers Machine Learning Bootcamp for Young Africans (SSA). If you did and have been successfully admitted, please let's connect and strategize. I just got notification of admission.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by cochtrane(m): 5:46pm On Jul 27, 2022
Applications are currently open for the 2023 intake of the 1-year structured MSc in Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence at Stellenbosch University in South Africa.

Visit our website (https://mlai.sun.ac.za) for further details, including course content, admission criteria, how to apply, and FAQs.

We have a number of DeepMind Scholarships available specifically for students from Africa to join this structured MSc course. The scholarships cover tuition fees, health insurance, accommodation, living expenses, research equipment, and opportunities for international conference attendance. Recipients will also benefit from mentorship by DeepMind researchers.

If you apply for the MSc before 31 August, you will automatically be considered for a scholarship and be notified of the outcome in September.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Prof Willie Brink
wbr...@sun.ac.za
Applied Mathematics
Stellenbosch University
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Kenny242(m): 6:24pm On Jul 27, 2022
cochtrane:
I hope you guys applied for the Google Developers Machine Learning Bootcamp for Young Africans (SSA). If you did and have been successfully admitted, please let's connect and strategize. I just got notification of admission.
I applied too
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by MRML: 9:02pm On Jul 27, 2022
cochtrane:

Wow, nice one bro. I am yet to get a mail.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Odetokun3(m): 9:04pm On Jul 27, 2022
cochtrane:
Applications are currently open for the 2023 intake of the 1-year structured MSc in Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence at Stellenbosch University in South Africa.

Visit our website (https://mlai.sun.ac.za) for further details, including course content, admission criteria, how to apply, and FAQs.

We have a number of DeepMind Scholarships available specifically for students from Africa to join this structured MSc course. The scholarships cover tuition fees, health insurance, accommodation, living expenses, research equipment, and opportunities for international conference attendance. Recipients will also benefit from mentorship by DeepMind researchers.

If you apply for the MSc before 31 August, you will automatically be considered for a scholarship and be notified of the outcome in September.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Prof Willie Brink
wbr...@sun.ac.za
Applied Mathematics
Stellenbosch University

I am interested. How can I go about it and read the requirements
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by cochtrane(m): 2:13am On Jul 28, 2022
Odetokun3:

I am interested. How can I go about it and read the requirements
Check the link the post.

(1) (2) (3) ... (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) ... (147) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.