Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,699 members, 7,882,387 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 12:23 AM

Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools (17655 Views)

FG Approves Mother Tongue As Compulsory Language Of Instruction In Primary Sch. / "Crying Is Allowed But Do So Quietly": Unususal Instruction On Examination Paper / Hilarious SRM University's Exam Instruction In India (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by Johans1991: 5:53pm On Oct 22, 2019
ctleurocollege:

That's why your people are few on Nairaland, instagram, twitter, LinkedIn, you will be left behind
and how much do you have in your account as a result of joining the nairaland,Facebook etc
Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by Rhaspody(m): 5:54pm On Oct 22, 2019
As someone that served in the North, this is a bad idea. When they get to jss1, it will be very difficult to transfer knowledge with English language. I saw a whole lot of jss1 students that couldn't write or even speak good English. They always prefer Hausa. This will only make them productive within Hausa speaking areas.

This is a bad idea.

2 Likes

Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by Ijawwomaninoyo: 5:54pm On Oct 22, 2019
johnmattew:
upon ur inferiority complex??....Chinese,indians and Arabs teach in their local dialet first b4 English...even Kenya and east Africans are doing the same

E pain am die!
Mey Suya!

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by salt1: 5:56pm On Oct 22, 2019
What have they been using?
Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by blank(f): 5:56pm On Oct 22, 2019
LastSurvivor11:

No doubt ur correct but the problem is that yobe is not Lagos or some part of Nigeria where English or pidgin is used at all. So what do you think will happen to such students when they leave north??

What obtains outside Nigeria is that you learn English and work. You will hear people with atrocious English but are very intelligent and knowledgeable. I admit it's a barrier because a lot of international companies want you to be able to communicate in a business language. However, if you have no plans of that happening, why bother?
Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by Rhaspody(m): 5:56pm On Oct 22, 2019
psalmuelwater:

How are the Chinese surviving in Nigeria? 90% of them don't understand English, and they dominate our construction industry

Chinese that can speak English are well sought-after. Foreigners that can teach English language in China are well paid. Keep asking how China is dominating with only Chinese language.

3 Likes

Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by ctleurocollege: 5:58pm On Oct 22, 2019
Johans1991:
[s] and how much do you have in your account as a result of joining the nairaland,Facebook etc[/s]

Write in your mother tongue.
Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by greatbrian(m): 5:59pm On Oct 22, 2019
darocha1:
Can I get 3applause for this directive.

This is long over due, there should be a mix of native language and lingua franca in teaching.

Some people who are perceived as unintelligent are only like that cos they can't comprehend what is taught in English.

Use mother tongue to explain same thing to them and you will marvel at their assimilation.

I remember a professor at Lasu engineering used to teach us circuit diagram in yoruba, it was all fun but in exam hall, you will hear the yoruba examples resonating over the margins you read all night

You have a point bro but you should know an average Lagos child speaks and can comprehend English but I can't say the same of an average northerner.

My point is if they ain't careful those kids might never be able to speak or understand the official language and when they travel out of there comfort zone they might never get to interact with the outside world.

2 Likes

Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by NNEWIsuper: 6:00pm On Oct 22, 2019
johnmattew:
smh for ur inferiority complex
that's illiteracy and disease, how can such people compete internationally?..I have no problem with anyone who speaks hausa or other African language but not knowing English means the person will never get to travel or have anything to do with anyone outside hausa speakers

2 Likes

Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by midnighter(f): 6:00pm On Oct 22, 2019
psalmuelwater:

How are the Chinese surviving in Nigeria? 90% of them don't understand English, and they dominate our construction industry

They are dominating because we allow them to come over and oppress everybody

We are supposed to have basic language requirements before granting visas to people
Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by Abiodunstephen(m): 6:01pm On Oct 22, 2019
that is very bad in a state that 90% can not communicating with English Language.

1 Like

Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by webngnews: 6:02pm On Oct 22, 2019
Oh
Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by johnmattew: 6:03pm On Oct 22, 2019
NNEWIsuper:

that's illiteracy and disease, how can such people compete internationally?..I have no problem with anyone who speaks hausa or other African language but not knowing English means the person will never get to travel or have anything to do with anyone outside hausa speakers
how many Arabs,indians,Chinese,french,Latinos, Italians,Germans can speak English?...
Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by midnighter(f): 6:05pm On Oct 22, 2019
johnmattew:
how many Arabs,indians,Chinese,french,Latinos, Italians,Germans can speak English?...

All of those countries have one unified and standardised language which they use as their language of instruction despite having minority ethnic groups.

And even at that, they still learn English at least from secondary school level

Do we all speak Hausa in Nigeria?

By the way an Arab in Lebanon and an Arab in Saudi Arabia speak completely different dialects of Arabic, yet they still learn the same official version.

Imagine if the Lebanese government said that all the kids had to learn Lebanese at school to make it easier for them, don't you see how stupid that would be?

Even if they just travel for Hajj, they won't even be able to get to Mecca because they won't be able to read any of the signs

1 Like

Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by johnmattew: 6:06pm On Oct 22, 2019
IamCharles123:

There's nothing like inferiority complex, education in the north is pure rubbish, how can ss2 and ss3 student not know how to speak English, dey dont know how to read basic maths they dont know yet they pass waec and jamb. This policy would have being better in the south, not north were dey are struggling to speak English already.
hausa is the biggest language in North and northern west Africa..I taught maths in ibadan,I felt not satisfied teaching maths in English instead of Yoruba cos I felt they would understand maths better in their native language
Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by IamCharles123: 6:10pm On Oct 22, 2019
johnmattew:
hausa is the biggest language in North and northern west Africa..I taught maths in ibadan,I felt not satisfied teaching maths in English instead of Yoruba cos I felt they would understand maths better in their native language
You are not getting the point, at least the students you taught understand English already, they can travel to anywhere in this world and communicate. But these northern kids are not even ready to learn English or anything. Imagine ss3 student dont know what 4² is.

3 Likes

Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by skies(m): 6:10pm On Oct 22, 2019
darocha1:
Can I get 3applause for this directive.

This is long over due, there should be a mix of native language and lingua franca in teaching.

Some people who are perceived as unintelligent are only like that cos they can't comprehend what is taught in English.

Use mother tongue to explain same thing to them and you will marvel at their assimilation.

I remember a professor at Lasu engineering used to teach us circuit diagram in yoruba, it was all fun but in exam hall, you will hear the yoruba examples resonating over the margins you read all night

Professor Olopade.... �

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by johnmattew: 6:17pm On Oct 22, 2019
IamCharles123:

You are not getting the point, at least the students you taught understand English already, they can travel to anywhere in this world and communicate. But these northern kids are not even ready to learn English or anything. Imagine ss3 student dont know what 4² is.
what u don't get is that your isn't ditching English...they will offer English language as a subject like social studies,health education...just like the way Yoruba is compulsorily taught in Lagos and a separate subject
Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by rapid101(m): 6:18pm On Oct 22, 2019
LastSurvivor11:
The truth is that it’s good and bad at the same time..

Good because it will enhance learning and understanding..

Bad because it will be difficult for such students to compete internationally when he/she only understands hausa..

Seems waec question will be set in hausa too..
Oga make I hear word
pple from Latin who re making it in d educational sphere who don't speak English nko.
re they not recognised ?

if u can offer a solution to a problem definately it ll be translated to other languages for easy assimilation. ve u ever heard Messi speak English but I believe wen he speaks some one is der to tell I wht he is saying. thank u

1 Like

Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by johnmattew: 6:19pm On Oct 22, 2019
midnighter:

All of those countries have one unified and standardised language which they use as their language of instruction despite having minority ethnic groups.

And even at that, they still learn English at least from secondary school level

Do we all speak Hausa in Nigeria?
and who told u yobe is ditching English language.. English will still be taught as a subject like social studies just like the way Yoruba language is taught in Lagos school while English remains language of instruction
Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by Officialgarri: 6:20pm On Oct 22, 2019
heilige:

I laff for Spanish. Spanish man, German man, Russian man, Arab man and all dem dey learn for dem language and dey compete effectively
Most of y'all shouting Chinese chinese Chinese are mostly ignorant of the fact that chinese has several languages in their country .

Their official language is Mandarin which some in core villages have to learn so as to communicate with their fellow chinese.
If those children are taught in Hausa, when will they begin to communicate with their fellow Nigerians talk more of the outside world.

1 Like

Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by midnighter(f): 6:24pm On Oct 22, 2019
johnmattew:
and who told u yobe is ditching English language.. English will still be taught as a subject like social studies just like the way Yoruba language is taught in Lagos school while English remains language of instruction

That is totally wrong in a federation with a national language

They are supposed to teach Hausa as a language subject and leave English as the language of instruction

If they care so much about Hausa language they should make it a compulsory class and ensure that all the children pass it

Why do we always do things upside down in this country
Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by benji93: 6:27pm On Oct 22, 2019
Are you kidding me! The initiative in itself is a good move. The question should have been, would their new educational design/direction be effective? which I doubt, but I could be wrong. İt would be difficult for them to compete internationally? Can they not learn English as another language? Are the Germans, the Finnish, the Danish not competing internationally enough. İf our teachers are good enough we could learn English as another language. At Middle East Technical University, Turkey, the students attend English preparatory school for one year prior to their program, and some of them become quite fluent in that short period of time if they take it seriously and practice. Some of these guys speak English more fluently than a lot of Nigerians that have known English all their lives. With all the 'English speaking country' tag, you still have to take TOEFL or İELTS to be accepted for admission in a lot of schools out there. Again the problem is not about our education being in any local language. İt's the efficiency of a design that centers around a local language that we should worry about. You should be asking questions like, how is it going to work out? Honestly though, in this age adopting a local language as the language of instruction, especially at the tertiary level will probably not work considering our level of sophistication. This is a project that should have began 30/40 years ago. The political ramifications of this are not very good though.
LastSurvivor11:

Bad because it will be difficult for such students to compete internationally when he/she only understands hausa..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by benji93: 6:34pm On Oct 22, 2019
But 4^2 is not English now. The ss3 student is just a dullard abeg.
IamCharles123:

Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by psalmuelwater(m): 6:37pm On Oct 22, 2019
midnighter:

They are dominating because we allow them to come over and oppress everybody

We are supposed to have basic language requirements before granting visas to people
Language shouldn't be a barrier in transferring knowledge in this age and time. With the technology available now?? You guys should think outside the box. How do footballers cope in foreign country?

1 Like

Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by daveemuobo(m): 6:39pm On Oct 22, 2019
Vixlot:
This is very good. Hausa language is the 11th most spoken language in the World. Why do we have to adopt foreign yeye English. Developed Industrialised Nations of G7 + China +Russia + India use their own languages

Check Wikipedia and stop deceiving yourself

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by Mcdaniels06: 6:41pm On Oct 22, 2019
This is OK, at least they would finally hear what the teacher is saying and also adhere to instructions with understanding. But be that as it may, English must also be vital part of their curriculum and speaking habit.

For those it may concern, please check the signature below.

It's cool to have a job with a steady income, but it's better you have a side business opportunity that will fetch you the income that will make you wealthy while your job caters for the day to day expenses that is always there, and also in-case the Job employment isn't coming on time. for this purpose if you message me quick on Whatsapp, I will introduce you to a very Lucrative Business Opportunity in Real Estate, which you can do anywhere you are in the world and make good money for yourself, with just a little commitment obviously to register and be identified as an Independent Consultant with our Illustrious Company here in Lagos, Nigeria. 07031201057. i'll be expecting your message as soon as possible, there's no harm in trying, and i know the sky is your beginning if you do.

Great day ahead.
Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by midnighter(f): 6:45pm On Oct 22, 2019
psalmuelwater:

Language shouldn't be a barrier in transferring knowledge in this age and time. With the technology available now?? You guys should think outside the box. How do footballers cope in foreign country?

This not about transferring knowledge, this is about respect and national sovereignty

People shouldn't be able to come here and do whatever they feel like just because we have some problems

In Britain before you are granted citizenship you must take an English test because they don't want people wandering their streets constituting nuisances just because they couldnt be bothered to understand their way of life

If the Chinese guy is smart enough to construct whatever in our country he should also be smart enough to learn our national language so that he will be able to communicate with his client.

Or is he too big to talk to us? Just because he's building one year one block somewhere?
Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by bhella10: 6:47pm On Oct 22, 2019
Isn't that haram of the highest order?! Jokers!
Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by tosinet(m): 6:47pm On Oct 22, 2019
LastSurvivor11:

It’s not entirely correct that knowing only their mother tongue will limit them internationally.

There’s no developed country today that don’t use their native tongue as their official lingual franca... Russia, Japan, China, Italy, England, Germany, France etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools by OVikkytan49: 6:47pm On Oct 22, 2019
There is no need to condemn this action, considering it will be only used in primary 1 and 2.
There's nothing new under the sun, we should learn to be accepting to others.
Also, the use of their mother's tongue to teach and learn will enable the children to develop and understand what education is all about.
Countries such as: China, korea, Japan etc, uses their language to teach at schools. So it's nothing new.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Delta State University Post Jamb Form Is Out / CONUA To Sue FG Over Withheld Salary / FUTA Crisis: Police Assault SUG Officials (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.