Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,395 members, 7,901,072 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 10:45 PM

Do You Regret Moving Abroad? - Travel (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Do You Regret Moving Abroad? (41970 Views)

Passengers Sitting On Top Of A Moving Train (photos) / Do You Regret Living Abroad??? / Do You Regret Moving Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (34) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by OvieE: 12:25am On Nov 16, 2010
@ oyinda.

Who cares. So you support and praise[b] buzugee [/b]with his bogus pictures of unknown people called uncles.

As for you Oyinda, you love what is people are facing in you beloved country today called Nigeria. You guys are pathetic.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 12:36am On Nov 16, 2010
oyinda.:

one thing you have to consider is that to be unemployed in Nigeria is a different scenario than in the US.

In US, you can't call on your uncle or sister-in-law to help you out in time of need. you are on your own so employment is a do or die situation. whereas in naija, you can still survive for sometime if you are unemployed because of the social safety net. Nigeria doesn't really need a govt "social security" for that reason. we naturally have social security through our big families and friends etc.
US society is highly individualistic so employment is a do or die situation since there is no where else to turn except to go on welfare.

Also, another point is that nigeria has a HUGE informal economy. so even when many nigerians are officially "unemployed," many are doing business on the side to sustain themselves. This informal economy is almost non-existent in the US.

i'm not saying that your point is moot. but you also have to consider these factors.

ok i don't even know what to say to you. so are you saying that 150 million people in Nigeria live like animals and criminals? 
You've been watching too much national geographic. either that or you need to get off your high horse.

What i'm surprised about is that if it was foreigners that came on here to start talking about nigeria the ways you guys are, we would scream racism. it surprises me that we have adopted the same mentality or at least we have internalized it.

on point. i swear ovieE needs a brain transplant  grin

ovieE are you by any chance related to ovieE whiskey ?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by OvieE: 12:47am On Nov 16, 2010
buzugee:

on point. i swear Ivie needs a brain transplant  grin

oIvieare you by any chance related to oIviewhiskey ?

No but I'm related to you as Nigerian you silly idiot needs a brain transplant.

Your grandparent, parents lived poverty life and you want to follow suit. Enjoy poverty life.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by oyinda3(f): 12:53am On Nov 16, 2010
OvieE:

@ oyinda.

Who cares. So you support and praise[b] buzugee [/b]with his bogus pictures of unknown people called uncles.

As for you Oyinda, you love what is people are facing in you beloved country today called Nigeria. You guys are pathetic.

I think many people in nigeria are doing fine. I was doing fine before i came to US. I have more opportunities and choices here but i won't bad mouth my country because of that.
the yorubas say "Omo ale l'on f'owo osi juwe ile baba e" meaning only a prodigal son uses his left hand to point to his father's house.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by leonaidas(m): 12:55am On Nov 16, 2010
Pls pple i need ur advice, i just got admission into d university after a very long wait nd i'm also processing my travelling documents to america but i don't knw if i shld travel or not cos i don't knw how easy it will be 2 get a medical education nd work at d same time.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 12:58am On Nov 16, 2010
GL:

true, it's bad to talk down on your country. but the OP asked if people regret moving abroad, and there's nothing belittling about having no regrets. what's wrong in someone preferring the life he is living in one place over another? i don't like it when people go abroad and have only negative tales about nigeria either, but this constant bashing of those in diaspora is also annoying.

Yes the topic is about regrets, but as usual what happens time after time after time is that people in diaspora cannot contribute without looking down their nose at Nigeria and those in Naija sef, when we all know how they are living from paycheck to paycheck, mortgaged to the hilt and neck deep in debt.

If anyone is doing any bashing in threads like this, it is always those in diaspora, acting as if they are daft and bereft of commonsense, calling those in Naija animals, goon, haters, fools, so if you feel the need to preach fairness, these are the people you should face undecided

buzugee:

[size=14pt]you know that a country is as bad as its inhabitants and as good as its inhabitants ? so maybe the problem is with nigerians right ? cuz lets face it even the abroad that you are running to ? nigerians do the same thing their. fraud, and all kinds of crime. so if you hate crime and anarchy so much why do you migrate to an organised country and then bring your crime with you ? so its not crime and dis-organization you are running from. you are running to a fertile ground so you can commit more crime ? am i right or am i right ? gerrout of here mayne grin[/size]

Gbam, chop knuckle grin

Who wants to rent a house to a Nigerian undecided

Who wants to leave their financial details lying around a Nigerian undecided

Self-certification mortgage fraud, fake naija birth cert with younger age presented, Bent and corrupt mortgage Brokers, Housing benefit fraud, Tax credit overpayment fraud, Council Housing fraud, Fake bank certificate/Waec certificate for visa application, Fake tax declaration, Fake bank account, NHS Health Tourism (Home Office Stat: 1 in 15 NHS user is a Nigerian) Stolo, Shekere, Abere, Fake Shola Shola, £80 Home Office stamp, fake BT bills, Illegal bank transfers, Student paying £1,000 Uni deposit then dissappearing into the system once abroad to claim Home Student status, 10 years ACCA students, Care Assistant/Security staffs/Oracle software consultants with their photoshopped CV, fake "my landlord kicked me out letter" to get Council accommodation, Arrangee Marriage Fraud, Half-price electronics, Genje British Pali from £500 (work only) £1,500(Flight within Europe),  etcetera, etcetera, etcetera embarassed embarassed embarassed

AND THEY HAVE THE NERVE TO POINT FINGERS AT CORRUPT NIGERIAN LEADER, AS IF THEIR HANDS ARE CLEAN, SHIOR undecided undecided undecided
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by kushe: 1:09am On Nov 16, 2010
when i was much younger,london was fascinating with the unique architecture,the accent,the oxford and bond streets endless shopping,the ease of getting and bedding chicks of all shapes,creed and kind,but as i became older,the perfect organisation of the systems here lost their appeal especially the more comfortable i became.

now i dont consider myself lucky to be cocooned in the thinking and sweat of another man.even if i earned a million pounds a year and lived in knightsbridge,i will still be described as a nigerian just like the al fayeed guy is always traced to his arabian roots and mittal to his indian roots.

i would rather be a king backhome in nigeria than a wannabe here.forget the absence of light,our fathers destroyed nigeria and it is up to our generation to build the nigeria of our dreams.i use an escalator countless times everyday and i ask myself how many functioning escalators we have inthe whole of lagos and i am saddened by the decay and lack of basic infrastructure ,yet i will not die in london or in any borough under the queen's jurisdiction,cos i am not a viking or a descendant of the first roman settlers here,and this place is sooooo not my home.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 1:29am On Nov 16, 2010
kushe:

when i was much younger,london was fascinating with the unique architecture,the accent,the oxford and bond streets endless shopping,the ease of getting and bedding chicks of all shapes,creed and kind,but as i became older,the perfect organisation of the systems here lost their appeal especially the more comfortable i became.

now i dont consider myself lucky to be cocooned in the thinking and sweat of another man.even if i earned a million pounds a year and lived in knightsbridge,i will still be described as a nigerian just like the al fayeed guy is always traced to his arabian roots and mittal to his indian roots.

i would rather be a king backhome in nigeria than a wannabe here.forget the absence of light,our fathers destroyed nigeria and it is up to our generation to build the nigeria of our dreams.i use an escalator countless times everyday and i ask myself how many functioning escalators we have inthe whole of lagos and i am saddened by the decay and lack of basic infrastructure ,yet i will not die in london or in any borough under the queen's jurisdiction,cos i am not a viking or a descendant of the first roman settlers here,and this place is sooooo not my home.

Piercingly poignant and melancholic food for thought cry
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by kushe: 1:30am On Nov 16, 2010
i have never committed one foul act in all my years here,neither have a lot of folks i associate with,so i disagree completely with the notion that nigerians in the diaspora are die hard crime addicts always wanting to exploit the system.i said that to say this,'ajoo ole dabi ile'

if you doubt me,ask emeka anyaoku or koffi annan why they both retired to their locality after years at the very pinnacle of international diplomacy.these men could have chosen to live anywhere remember?
this takes me to the story of a certain egyptian ruler in the bible named joseph who instructed that his bones be exhumed and reburied whenever the children of israel left egypt.there is something about your homeland is why i am going back home to fulfil my God given destiny.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 1:44am On Nov 16, 2010
kushe:

i have never committed one foul act in all my years here,neither have a lot of folks i associate with,so i disagree completely with the notion that nigerians in the diaspora are die hard crime addicts always wanting to exploit the system.i said that to say this,'ajoo ole dabi ile'

Ok maybe you are innocent but 99.9999% of NID's have dabbled and fiddled in one of the aforementioned at any one point in time, and the remaining % cannot claim not to know a friend or Aunt or Cousin who is lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 2:01am On Nov 16, 2010
Busy_body:

Yes the topic is about regrets, but as usual what happens time after time after time is that people in diaspora cannot contribute without looking down their nose at Nigeria and those in Naija sef, when we all know how they are living from paycheck to paycheck, mortgaged to the hilt and neck deep in debt.

If anyone is doing any bashing in threads like this, it is always those in diaspora, acting as if they are daft and bereft of commonsense, calling those in Naija animals, goon, haters, fools, so if you feel the need to preach fairness, these are the people you should face undecided

Gbam, chop knuckle grin

Who wants to rent a house to a Nigerian undecided

Who wants to leave their financial details lying around a Nigerian undecided

Self-certification mortgage fraud, fake naija birth cert with younger age presented, Bent and corrupt mortgage Brokers, Housing benefit fraud, Tax credit overpayment fraud, Council Housing fraud, Fake bank certificate/Waec certificate for visa application, Fake tax declaration, Fake bank account, NHS Health Tourism (Home Office Stat: 1 in 15 NHS user is a Nigerian) Stolo, Shekere, Abere, Fake Shola Shola, £80 Home Office stamp, fake BT bills, Illegal bank transfers, Student paying £1,000 Uni deposit then dissappearing into the system once abroad to claim Home Student status, 10 years ACCA students, Care Assistant/Security staffs/Oracle software consultants with their photoshopped CV, fake "my landlord kicked me out letter" to get Council accommodation, Arrangee Marriage Fraud, Half-price electronics, Genje British Pali from £500 (work only) £1,500(Flight within Europe),  etcetera, etcetera, etcetera embarassed embarassed embarassed

AND THEY HAVE THE NERVE TO POINT FINGERS AT CORRUPT NIGERIAN LEADER, AS IF THEIR HANDS ARE CLEAN, SHIOR undecided undecided undecided
dont forget banky and laide and natty grin grin grin
Busy_body:

Piercingly poignant and melancholic food for thought cry
oyinbo repete. town council grin grin grin nice words
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 2:05am On Nov 16, 2010
kushe:

if you doubt me,ask emeka anyaoku or koffi annan why they both retired to their locality after years at the very pinnacle of international diplomacy.these men could have chosen to live anywhere remember?
this takes me to the story of a certain egyptian ruler in the bible named joseph who instructed that his bones be exhumed and reburied whenever the children of israel left egypt.there is something about your homeland is why i am going back home to fulfil my God given destiny.
really ? you have not altered your travel card with biro or you have not rushed through the turnstile when someone swipes their travel card ?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by okgerald(m): 2:10am On Nov 16, 2010
would love to make it big in Nigeria and travell to enjoy my though. If you dont have a good income in nija then moving to a foreign land, like us and uk is your best bet
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Ndipe(m): 2:14am On Nov 16, 2010
amor4ce:

There is a Yoruba proverb that was mentioned by Pa Abraham Adesanya not too long before he joined his ancestors and it goes something like this:
[b]A man will not leave his father's house because the roof leaks whenever it rains. Rather he will do his best to mend the roof
.[/b]

I have a question for all Nigerians who have emigrated from and seek to emigrate from Nigeria and at the same time condemn the country as hopeless and/or terrible. Why should I not call you a ba.s,.tard and a coward?

This also goes to those who were born abroad and have done nothing but criticize and look down on their brothers and sisters.

It is as if these people in self-denial and who live with delusions of grandeur do not realize that they are in a position to do something for their Nigerian neighbors. They cowardly wait for govt (implying others) to do something (spoon-feed) them. Some even criticize govt leaders as if a tree makes a forest. For instance, If I condemn IBB it means that IBB is greater than me and can do and undo at will in my life. I would rather meditate on my contributions and what more I can contribute.

By the way, if you think there's any beef/jealousy on my part, I was born in the Far East and have lived along the US West Coast and in Lagos.

And if the roof is thatched and it's constantly leaking during the rainy season, should he still stick by replacing it constantly with thatch or replace the roof with zinc? It's a flawed proverb. Most times, people (like the house dweller who would discard a thatched roof in favor of Zinc ceiling because its better) move abroad for a better life. They are tired of constantly replacing the thatched roof over and over again.

I love Nigeria very much, and no, I am not casting aspersions at it. What I am educating you is that the saying is flawed. People move abroad because they can leave a decent life. It's more challenging to live well in Nigeria unless you are highly favored or have connections.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 2:31am On Nov 16, 2010
Ndipe:

And if the roof is thatched and it's constantly leaking during the rainy season, should he still stick by replacing it with thatch or replace the roof with zinc? It's a flawed proverb. Most times, people (like the house dweller who discard a thatched roof in favor of Zinc ceiling because its better) move abroad for a better life. They are tired of constantly replacing the thatched roof over and over again.

I love Nigeria very much, and no, I am not casting aspersions at it. What I am educating you is that the saying is flawed.

I beg to differ Bob Sirree, this saying is not flawed. This is your house which you painstakingly built with the sweat of your hands we are talking here, so there should be no room for "igi da, eye fo" runs, if thatched roof wears out and starts to fail to keep out the rain, put on your thinking cap and try to look for further durable solution, rather than jump ship and decamp to your neighbours house to crash/sleep on their floor, you are supposed to keep getting up, no matter how much you fall wink wink wink

buzugee:

dont forget banky and laide and natty grin grin grin

Ha how could i forget awon gbogbo big gurls grin

buzugee:

@kushe

really ? you have not altered your travel card with biro or you have not rushed through the turnstile when someone swipes their travel card ?

We haven't met then, where are my manners, my bad, sorry welcome to Nairaland - where everyone in Diaspora earns over £50k and only roll and mingle with people who earn over £50k/annum or £750/day cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 2:35am On Nov 16, 2010
I would regret it if I came here and I'm still shouting up Nepa, down Nepa.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by stalliontp(m): 2:47am On Nov 16, 2010
No regret but i do miss my friends and family a lot, Nigeria is home
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Ndipe(m): 4:46am On Nov 16, 2010
Busy_body:

I beg to differ Bob Sirree, this saying is not flawed. This is your house which you painstakingly built with the sweat of your hands we are talking here, so there should be no room for "igi da, eye fo" runs, if thatched roof wears out and starts to fail to keep out the rain, put on your thinking cap and try to look for further durable solution, rather than jump ship and decamp to your neighbours house to crash/sleep on their floor, you are supposed to keep getting up, no matter how much you fall wink wink wink

Ha how could i forget awon gbogbo big gurls grin

We haven't met then, where are my manners, my bad, sorry welcome to Nairaland - where everyone in Diaspora earns over £50k and only roll and mingle with people who earn over £50k/annum or £750/day cheesy grin cheesy

Yeah, it is flawed! We are using the roof of a house as an example of the saying. You cant keep flogging a dead horse hoping that it would rise up. It wont happen. So, if the roof of the house collapses and you have done all what you can to replace it with the same thatch roof and it still leaks during the rainy season, you are at liberty to try a different option (zinc) instead of relying on straw mats. Sometimes, change is necessary/inevitable in one's life. Or would you rather, if you had been drinking herbal leaves to treat your headache to no avail and someone tells you "Panadol can do a better job," wouldnt you give that a shot?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Ikedonn(m): 7:18am On Nov 16, 2010
For those of you who  are still in naija think twice before migrating.I believe moving back home is a personal decision and as for me ,i would be back in naija full time soon.I thank God for my life.Abroad can't be compared to naija.There's no place like home.Some people come here and make it while others don't. smiley
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by ishit4body(f): 7:35am On Nov 16, 2010
Ikedon boom

So you allow 17 pages of crap before you can make your own conclusion and what exactly is on your mind? Why didnt you save people all the stress and write this at the begining?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Sprumbaba: 8:59am On Nov 16, 2010
When Tuface wanted to sell his Album for 1,500 Naira, guess who complained most?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Ikedonn(m): 9:01am On Nov 16, 2010
@Ishit4body
Abeg, no poo poo for my thread.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by MrCork26: 10:07am On Nov 16, 2010
YES, I MISSS MOSQUITO'S,

i MISSNOISE POLLUTION:

i MISS YABA YABA YABA YABA YABA,

I MISS NEPA

AND I MISS OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE angry
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by frankkky: 10:11am On Nov 16, 2010
i have been following this thread with interest,as someone who has lived in both sides of the world,that is i hold a passport of a european country and my fatherland nigeria,let me add my piece.there is this saying,east or west there is no place like home,i dont think there is any nigerian who was born and bred in nigeria that would not miss home after some time outside of it,it happens to everyone and not only nigerians so i wonder why nigerians are making it such a big issue?americans based in the middle east miss home,the europeans based in nigeria miss their home so this is a natural thing,that is why i always travel home everytime,its only our kids who were born and bred here that may not feel the feelings of home but even then whenever i take them to nigeria thay always want to go again when we get here talkless of us who were born in nigeria.there are many people i tell whenever i get to naija that ol boy abroad is not easy o,do you know what they tell me?heeeen if abroad is not easy why are you still living there?abeg go away jo,some even call me jealous that i dont want them to come abroad .on this i blame the wester press,they show their cities on the televison claiming to be the best so tell me why wont people want to travel there,even the elite in nigeria always like travelling abroad for holidays,are there no places in naija for this come on!!!ts only when some peeps in nigeria have travelled out they now know that it is not that easy,and one thing that makes peeps wanna travell out is the skin tone,even right from the airport you see the immgration officers saying,kai i love this ur skin colour o,we know peeps who are based outside nigeria by their skin colour and those who only travell there for a month or so,can u imagine that?in europe the weather makes ur skin colour change,it doesnt have to do with money or anthing
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by invisible2(m): 10:27am On Nov 16, 2010
Just went to have a decent haircut this morning and they told me my best beutician called to announce he safely landed in Greece yesterday. Huge guy, 7 foot gentle giant who plays soccer. Early twenties and very kind. I wish him well sha.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by frankkky: 10:36am On Nov 16, 2010
to add to what i said before,look the world is coming to an endamerican and europe have all abandoned GOD,do you know why america is so blessed,'because this is was a nation founded on GOD,but today what is happening?those nations that were formerly look down upon by the western world are now rising up and ruling the world market,check out china,today america is owing china money,today america is heavily in indebted,look at recent market crash that almost brought europe to its knees but look at india today they are growing rapidly
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by debosky(m): 10:55am On Nov 16, 2010
Busy_body:

See me thinking I had committed all the crimes in the book. I see there are still many more for me to commit. cheesy

I shall not rest till I have done ALL those things listed up there so I can proudly boast of my exploits as a Naija man. grin grin
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by invisible2(m): 11:06am On Nov 16, 2010
debosky:

See me thinking I had committed all the crimes in the book. I see there are still many more for me to commit. cheesy

I shall not rest till I have done ALL those things listed up there so I can proudly boast of my exploits as a Naija man. grin grin

una strong pass me, more vaseline to your elbows!
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by iice(f): 11:36am On Nov 16, 2010
debosky:

grin grin grin

frankkky:

i have been following this thread with interest,as someone who has lived in both sides of the world,that is i hold a passport of a european country and my fatherland nigeria,let me add my piece.there is this saying,east or west there is no place like home,i dont think there is any nigerian who was born and bred in nigeria that would not miss home after some time outside of it,it happens to everyone and not only nigerians so i wonder why nigerians are making it such a big issue?

There is also a saying that home is where the heart is. Some people find their place in this world, it may be where they grew up, it may be somewhere they visited, or the place they settled.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by REALTRUTH1: 11:38am On Nov 16, 2010
Is this the lagos you want me to come now,,,,,I love naija but we have a lot work to do do,,,,,check the link below

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201011162501275
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Sprumbaba: 11:43am On Nov 16, 2010
Come and swim.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by wazobiang: 11:48am On Nov 16, 2010
[size=24pt]Nigerians in diaspora a giddy with self deceit to the point of self induced madness. Even half casts come back to Nigeria looking for their black parent, their root. You may not have regrets leaving Naija but don't say it as if you don't miss it. Heck dem don even sing song "I be Omo Naija". I keep migrating from place to place but I miss Lagos the most. Especially cruising the free Lagos road at 2-3 am in the early morning of weekends. Making some money off the dirty streets of Lagos is the biggest feeling you ever get making money.

You diaspora people are the weakest that never could survive in Naija. I call you people. You don't even have the time or money to call. My life is moving, your's is paused until you make a family there.

I could go on and on but f%$k it, I be omo naija.[/size]

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (34)

New Zealand Adds Prostitution To List Of Employment Skills For Immigrants / United States Of America Vs United Kingdom / Accident Victim Takes Selfie, Says "It Was Fun" (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.