Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,867 members, 7,872,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 01:40 AM

Do You Regret Moving Abroad? - Travel (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Do You Regret Moving Abroad? (41774 Views)

Passengers Sitting On Top Of A Moving Train (photos) / Do You Regret Living Abroad??? / Do You Regret Moving Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (34) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Nov 16, 2010
And why exactly should you be shocked that a man should love his country because that is what it is when you come down to reality. Its where he lives, works, plays and pays his taxes.
Of what business is that of yours and how does that change anything in your life?

I can see brainwashing at its best - one that is self-inflicted.
What a pity!!! An adage says a dog that will get lost will never hear the hunter's whistle.
You guys are mostly irredeemable and are already torn. Even if Nigeria became paradise, your type will never come back. You have been doomed to refined slavery and 3rd class citizenship.
How many expatriates/foreigners in Nigeria can ever speak of Nigeria as you speak of their land. This your posture can make even the white guys hate you.
I swear if I were you guys, returning home will be most paramount on my mind. All my thinking and activities will be tailored towards returning home ASAP.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Nov 16, 2010
PStylish:

I can see brainwashing at its best - one that is self-inflicted.
What a pity!!! An adage says a dog that will get lost will never hear the hunter's whistle.
You guys are mostly irredeemable and are already torn. Even if Nigeria became paradise, your type will never come back. You have been doomed to refined slavery and 3rd class citizenship.
How many expatriates/foreigners in Nigeria can ever speak of Nigeria as you speak of their land. This your posture can make even the white guys hate you.
I swear if I were you guys, returning home will be most paramount on my mind. All my thinking and activities will be tailored towards returning home ASAP.
You are going in another direction entirely. But why should that surprise you? Everyone of us whether in Nigeria or abroad has his own life to live, destiny to fulfil and talents and interests to explore?
Is there any reason why all of us should want to be in Nigeria out of over 200 countries, irrespective of whether it has integrated infrastructure or not? That issue makes no difference whatsoever to my own choice to live in England presently.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Freiburger(m): 11:11pm On Nov 16, 2010
tensor777:

Well its kind of lame if not myopic to stay in Europe just because you feel Nigeria has not changed for the common man.

Well this is all i can get from your reply. Now tell me what have changed for good for the common man? the tripled gap btw the rich and the poor? instead of these animals who call themselves politicians trying to implement living/existing wage policies the are decieving the folks with living wage. Does it makes sense if i make 500,000k amonth and spend over a third of it on energy, and a common man don't even get what i spend on energy per annual.

tensor777:

You ought to have positive reasons for staying in Germany. Are you not there to tangibly better your own life.?

And that positive and basic reason is b-coz i  can't just afford being a bad folk cos these bad folks gave these animals the greelight of doing these havoc to the country. coz also long as the 've got their crumb from the cake they 're they so satisfied so long as their fellow common man have got what they had with the little crumb.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Nov 16, 2010
Freiburger:

Well this is all i can get from your reply. Now tell me what have changed for good for the common man? the tripled gap btw the rich and the poor? instead of these animals who call themselves politicians trying to implement living/existing wage policies the are decieving the folks with living wage. Does it makes sense if i make 500,000k amonth and spend over a third of it on energy, and a common man don't even get what i spend on energy per annual.
And that positive and basic reason is b-coz i  can't just afford being a bad folk cos these bad folks gave these animals the greelight of doing these havoc to the country. coz also long as the 've got their crumb from the cake they 're they so satisfied so long as their fellow common man have got what they had with the little crumb.
Well I don't quite understand you. Are you in Germany because you are disgusted with these generic socio-economic issues and how in fact does being in Europe  enable you to contribute to resolving these issues.
Maybe YOU should consider going back and contesting for political office. undecided
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by cap28: 11:26pm On Nov 16, 2010
buzugee:

grin grin grin like i said, if you are black british ? you cannot be deported. then they will have to deport all the white south africans back to britain, all the white americans back to britain, etc etc. it just does not work like that. but what they can do is enact a new law saying that no matter if you were born in britain or not ? so long as you are the children of immigrants, you will never be british. thats the only thing they can do now.

You see in making the above statement you have overlooked one very important factor, the whites have the power while we have none, in as much as the mass repatriation of blacks back to africa will destroy the image of the west in the eyes of the rest of the world it would be  completely foolhardy of you to think that it is not possible.  White south africans unlike black immigrants in britain control the economy and dare i say the politics of south africa, who owns the mining industries - ever heard of Anglo American, De Beers, how about Sanlam - these are some of the most powerful corporations in south africa and they are all run by whites not the ANC.

Since the whites still retain their position of power in south africa who is going to have them repartriated back to england?

You then mention the whites in america - who told you that america and england see themselves as separate countries? have you not heard of the "special relationship" which exists between england and america? Also in political circles the british and americans usually operate as what is known as the anglo american alliance therefore all benefits arising from this relationship are extended to citizens of both countries.  Blacks of both countries however are regarded as citizens only in name.

Since you think that repatriation of blacks is impossible are you aware that west indians were "offered" the opportunity to exchange their citizenship with nationals of hong kong during margaret thatcher's regime, she saw the people of hong kong as being of more use to the british economy than the children of west indian immigrants who she felt would be better off back in the west indies.

So before you get too complacent try and remember where you are and the history of immigration and race in this country.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Freiburger(m): 11:30pm On Nov 16, 2010
tensor777:

Well I don't quite understand you. Are you in Germany because you are disgusted with these generic socio-economic issues and how in fact does being in Europe  enable you to contribute to resolving these issues.
Maybe YOU should consider going back and contesting for political office. undecided

I think you 've got point, but its very difficult finding two other unique ppl like myself who will do the masterminding of capturing the country and giving it a new facelift.  wink wink wink
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 11:42pm On Nov 16, 2010
cap28:

You see in making the above statement you have overlooked one very important factor, the whites have the power while we have none, in as much as the mass repatriation of blacks back to africa will destroy the image of the west in the eyes of the rest of the world it would be  completely foolhardy of you to think that it is not possible.  White south africans unlike black immigrants in britain control the economy and dare i say the politics of south africa, who owns the mining industries - ever heard of Anglo American, De Beers, how about Sanlam - these are some of the most powerful corporations in south africa and they are all run by whites not the ANC.

Since the whites still retain their position of power in south africa who is going to have them repartriated back to england?

You then mention the whites in america - who told you that america and england see themselves as separate countries? have you not heard of the "special relationship" which exists between england and america? Also in political circles the british and americans usually operate as what is known as the anglo american alliance therefore all benefits arising from this relationship are extended to citizens of both countries.  Blacks of both countries however are regarded as citizens only in name.

Since you think that repatriation of blacks is impossible are you aware that west indians were "offered" the opportunity to exchange their citizenship with nationals of hong kong during margaret thatcher's regime, she saw the people of hong kong as being of more use to the british economy than the children of west indian immigrants who she felt would be better off back in the west indies.

So before you get too complacent try and remember where you are and the history of immigration and race in this country.
dude, first off, you fail to realize that technically ? no land belongs to anyone. we are all transient in this world. we come and we go. all we are doing is renting the land till we die and then we pass it off to the next generation. human beings since the start of time have been migrating from one place to another in search of greener pastures. this whole border thing is a recent phenom. so based on that, race is not the determining factor in nationality but birth. all this talk about power is irrelevant. if you are born in england, you own a british passport. no one can send you away from the place of your birth. so calm down dude and leave the weed alone. it is making you extra-paranoid.

as per the hong kong thing. what happened was that during the eighties there was the broadwater farm riots and brixton riots. lots of black people were disgruntled because they were living subsistently, as were other people because of the economy. add to that the popo was whooping butt in tottenham. so maggie offered them the chance to go back to the west indies if they did not like it in britain and each person would recieve 100,000 pounds as they were relocated back to the west indies. it wasnt a forcible measure. just an offer for the unhappy west indians
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by cap28: 11:49pm On Nov 16, 2010
tensor777:

True that. In fact England is  a country of immigrants and will always be so.

England is originally a country of immigrants that is true - but were those immigrants black or white people?

As at the date of the last census england's white population was 87%!!! with the remaning 13% made up of asians, blacks, mixed race and other groups - africans only constitute 1.4% of the 13%.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 12:04am On Nov 17, 2010
cap28:

England is originally a country of immigrants that is true - but were those immigrants black or white people?
As at the date of the last census england's white population was 87%!!! with the remaning 13% made up of asians, blacks, mixed race and other groups - africans only constitute 1.4% of the 13%.
And so ? What difference does it make if the first immigrnts were black, yellow, brown or red?

That has not stopped people from all  over the world from coming to England, setting down here and making their fortune. Just go down to Oxford street and catch glimpse the variety of races and creeds that claim England as their home.

You may choose to see the world through your own ethnic/racial prism that is not a real perspective.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by lipstick(f): 1:42am On Nov 17, 2010
Hi I am a newbie. I have not read all the pages of the tread.

I picked this topic to read as I am Nigerian born but left as a small small child. I have been raised overseas. I am Yoruba but have not had the privilege to learn the language. I can cook some Nigerian food but by in large one could not really say I rep 9JA.

I have recently began looking forward to returning to Nigeria with the view to say for some time, perhaps marry/remain and such, but the response of the Nigerians who have left and seem so glad to have flew the nest raises a lot of reservations .

Whilst I have not returned to Nigeria in over 25 years I have spent some considerable amount of time in other “problematic” black countries with high crime, political misgivings, violence and corruption, and well that sadly (as far I have experienced) is present in many majority black countries, so have not taken the opinion the Nigeria is unliveable.

I guess having finally decided to come “home” and rediscover my roots I feel a bit deflated by the lack of regret, or more the lack of longing expressed by posters embarassed

Perhaps I have just put too much into returning to Nigeria and should sick to what I know!? !
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by iice(f): 4:19am On Nov 17, 2010
^^I think you should visit and see for yourself. You may like it there. You have to decide it for yourself.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Ndipe(m): 6:04am On Nov 17, 2010
Few will be courageous to express regrets for moving abroad.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by sulad82i(m): 6:08am On Nov 17, 2010
lipstick:

Hi I am a newbie. I have not read all the pages of the tread.

I picked this topic to read as I am Nigerian born but left as a small small child. I have been raised overseas. I am Yoruba but have not had the privilege to learn the language. I can cook some Nigerian food but by in large one could not really say I rep 9JA.

I have recently began looking forward to returning to Nigeria with the view to say for some time, perhaps marry/remain and such, but the response of the Nigerians who have left and seem so glad to have flew the nest raises a lot of reservations .

Whilst I have not returned to Nigeria in over 25 years I have spent some considerable amount of time in other “problematic” black countries with high crime, political misgivings, violence and corruption, and well that sadly (as far I have experienced) is present in many majority black countries, so have not taken the opinion the Nigeria is unliveable.

I guess having finally decided to come “home” and rediscover my roots I feel a bit deflated by the lack of regret, or more the lack of longing expressed by posters  embarassed

Perhaps I have just put too much into returning to Nigeria and should sick to what I know!? !

I'm an immigrant here as well, just as a host of others. I do believe there is no where like home and will like to return and hopefully contribute my quota towards making our beloved country a place for all. One big problem that I find in 9ja is that Opportunities are very limited in every sense, so getting what you really want, the way you want it, and when you want it might not be there as its possible in some western nations. If you are an energetic person and who can make opportunities out of obstacle, then I'll say 9ja will be fun and worth while for now. But then, you might just be one of those that will love it there no matter what
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Ikedonn(m): 7:20am On Nov 17, 2010
wink
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 8:30am On Nov 17, 2010
The fact remains, Nigeria doesn't do much to encourage her citizens to remain. A lot of posters here continually cite wealth as a reason to remain in (or return) to Nigeria. It's not always about wealth - having big houses, several cars etc. What's the point in revelling in these things, when around you, a greater population are wallowing in abject poverty?

Someone cited training. I beg to differ. Nigeria is overpopulated as it is, and there are graduates who have been out of work since they graduated, some over six years ago. There simply aren't enough jobs to go round. It's probably best for most to "down grade" in terms of earnings, in a country they feel most at home in.

There's also the aspect of being treated as a second / third-class citizen abroad (so they say). Are Nigerians treated any better in Nigeria? Does an average Northerner look up to say an Igbo man? Nigerians are treated much worse in Nigeria, yet they fail to see it. All they see is the negative aspect of those living outside the shores of Nigeria, or those born there, who choose to stay out.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by ada24: 8:45am On Nov 17, 2010
Siena:

The fact remains, Nigeria doesn't do much to encourage her citizens to remain. A lot of posters here continually cite wealth as a reason to remain in (or return) to Nigeria. It's not always about wealth - having big houses, several cars etc. What's the point in revelling in these things, when around you, a greater population are wallowing in abject poverty?

Someone cited training. I beg to differ. Nigeria is overpopulated as it is, and there are graduates who have been out of work since they graduated, some over six years ago. There simply aren't enough jobs to go round. It's probably best for most to "down grade" in terms of earnings, in a country they feel most at home in.

There's also the aspect of being treated as a second / third-class citizen abroad (so they say). Are Nigerians treated any better in Nigeria? Does an average Northerner look up to say an Igbo man? Nigerians are treated much worse in Nigeria, yet they fail to see it. All they see is the negative aspect of those living outside the shores of Nigeria, or those born there, who choose to stay out.

thank you - I have noticed this emphasis on money and how big ur house is and how many cars one has as if that is all one needs to live a peaceful and comfortable life.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by justwise(m): 9:07am On Nov 17, 2010
This is perfect example of Nigerian family in the UK, i watched the show last nigth and more will be shown next week.

Watch and make up ur mind in line with this thread.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-family/4od#3140159
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by ceasyc(f): 9:45am On Nov 17, 2010
regret moving abroad? for wia? whats there to regret? = nada
home is home but 9ja = disaster in most areas
so d answer is NO
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by iice(f): 10:44am On Nov 17, 2010
ada24:

thank you - I have noticed this emphasis on money and how big your house is and how many cars one has as if that is all one needs to live a peaceful and comfortable life.

lol that's all most people think about hence their conclusions why people left or that not having those things makes you in some ways a lesser individual. I always say misplaced priorities. . .with such mindset, it's no wonder our politicians and people in power are doing all they can to hoard more money, houses and cars. . .
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 10:49am On Nov 17, 2010

As if you really care. Don't deceive yourself. You should be back home to do something about those wallowing in abject poverty if you really care about them since you've seen and know how things work elsewhere. But never! Not you guys. Its not your fault though. You're still hustling.

thank you - I have noticed this emphasis on money and how big your house is and how many cars one has as if that is all one needs to live a peaceful and comfortable life.

Don't be hypocritical, everyone knows the average black man loves to live flamboyantly - have many wives,children, houses, cars e.t.c King Solomon is a good example. This black trait may have reduced lately as a result of economic hardship but its still there in us. At every slight opportunity we show it.

However, for you abroad folks, you just can't own cars, houses e.t.c or afford to be flamboyant not because you don't like them but because of the deadly multiplier effect it will have on your finances. You will be crushed by sundry bills and taxes. You guys know it. You just wont last. Even to manage one car is a problem. Come to Naija and see undergraduates (not necessarily from rich homes) using and maintaining cars comfortably. The same goes for the so-called "jobless" people.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by ada24: 2:40pm On Nov 17, 2010
the average black man loves to live flamboyantly u say??

hmmm i guess Chris Rock was right when he said we should not blame the white man when we look around us and wonder why we can pass on wealth to our future generations. Money is good but i find it very funny u can come one here and boast about our mates driving many cars when your neighbour cannot buy proper malaria drugs for their sick child or have to send their kids to a better off relative to become a househelp.

no one is claiming to be better than anyone else and like i have said after 21 pages i have yet to see people bounce of ideas on how to make our nation great and work for all not just for those that can do their daily shop at shoprite.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 3:04pm On Nov 17, 2010
ada24:

the average black man loves to live flamboyantly u say??

hmmm i guess Chris Rock was right when he said we should not blame the white man when we look around us and wonder why we can pass on wealth to our future generations. Money is good but i find it very funny u can come one here and boast about our mates driving many cars when your neighbour cannot buy proper malaria drugs for their sick child or have to send their kids to a better off relative to become a househelp.

no one is claiming to be better than anyone else and like i have said after 21 pages i have yet to see people bounce of ideas on how to make our nation great and work for all not just for those that can do their daily shop at shoprite.
absolute hogwash. there are millions of people in america who live under the bridge and have no food. does that stop bill gates from owning his 50 billion dollars ? or does that stop oprah from boasting about owning over 10 properties ?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by agabaI23(m): 3:05pm On Nov 17, 2010
Yes I am regretting it the way I will regret winning £1million.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by debosky(m): 3:07pm On Nov 17, 2010
buzugee:

absolute hogwash. there are millions of people in america who live under the bridge and have no food. does that stop bill gates from owning his 50 billion dollars ? or does that stop oprah from boasting about owning over 10 properties ?

Your comparison is very wide of the mark - what proportion of the US population is in poverty compared to Nigeria? That is what you need to look at before going off tangent. Besides, the Bill Gates you're talking about intends to give away over 90% of his wealth before he dies to help the poor and to solve major medical problems such as malaria.

You on the other hand are very fond of your BMWs and mansions with swimming pools. grin
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 3:09pm On Nov 17, 2010
cap28:

really ? africans are only 1.4 percent ? this is like 840,000 people. and i am sure africans also include other africans so maybe naija is like 400,000 in england ?  grin i coulda sworn we were like 2 million at least. oh well
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by eewule(m): 3:15pm On Nov 17, 2010
I don't regret coming to Uk (9yrs so far) But i regret that i have to remain here to accomplish my goals.
But as soon as i procure a comfortable home for myself (which is in-progress in Port Harcourt city), I will be leaving this land and returning home. cause THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME, no matter how safe and convenient the western world becomes, it cannot beat being in my home country.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 3:16pm On Nov 17, 2010
debosky:

Your comparison is very wide of the mark - what proportion of the US population is in poverty compared to Nigeria? That is what you need to look at before going off tangent. Besides, the Bill Gates you're talking about intends to give away over 90% of his wealth before he dies to help the poor and to solve major medical problems such as malaria.

You on the other hand are very fond of your BMWs and mansions with swimming pools. grin
bruv ? poverty in nigeria does not equate to homelessness. i will rather be poor in naija than in america. the poor people in naija at least have face me i face you to live in. at least 10 million people in america have nowhere to live. they sleep under bridges. out here in illinois, at least a few of them feeze to death in the winter. this dude was sleeping under the bridge last winter. by the next morning he had turned into ice block. dead. they had to thaw him out to do an autopsy.
so lets not even begin to compare poverty because poverty in america is much worse than poverty in nigeria.

as per bmws and mansions with swimming pools ? that aint my reality bruh. i am not an ostentatious person. my persona is low-key. i am the type of guy who will relocate to naija. build a small bungalow and drive around on a vespa scooter  grin i am fiercely individualistic and eccentric. i dont follow the crowd

watch this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt0_w74osSY&feature=related
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by jaybee3(m): 3:21pm On Nov 17, 2010
buzugee:

bruv ? poverty in nigeria does not equate to homelessness. i will rather be poor in naija than in america. the poor people in naija at least have face me i face you to live in. at least 10 million people in america have nowhere to live. they sleep under bridges. out here in illinois, at least a few of them feeze to death in the winter. this dude was sleeping under the bridge last winter. by the next morning he had turned into ice block. dead. they had to thaw him out to do an autopsy.
so lets not even begin to compare poverty because poverty in america is much worse than poverty in nigeria.

as per bmws and mansions with swimming pools ? that aint my reality bruh. i am not an ostentatious person. my persona is low-key. i am the type of guy who will relocate to naija. build a small bungalow and drive around on a vespa scooter grin i am fiercely individualistic and eccentric. i dont follow the crowd
Are you daft or just playing silly
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 3:29pm On Nov 17, 2010
jay bee:

Are you daft or just playing silly
bruh ? i think the daft one is you. people like you equate the west with prosperity. have you seen 10 million homeless people in nigeria b4 ? icant remember seeing people living on the streets in naija or sleeping under the bridge. watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt0_w74osSY&feature=related

see people like you ? you are like lil children. you are so caught up with the shiny objects that you fail to look just a bit below the surface. grin
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by jaybee3(m): 3:33pm On Nov 17, 2010
And since when did Nigerians started collecting credible data.
I hope you know western governments do provide benefits for the homeless. What does your Government provide?
Didn't you watch welcome to Lagos?
Your ignorance level has definitely tipped the scale.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 3:36pm On Nov 17, 2010
jay bee:

And since when did Nigerians started collecting credible data.
I hope you know western governments do provide benefits for the homeless. What does your Government provide?
Didn't you watch welcome to Lagos?
Your ignorance level has definitely tipped the scale.

yes i watched welcome to lagos and i remember seeing no homeless person. they scavenged for cans to recycle (as the poor in america do ) but at the end of the day, they went back to their 'face me i face you' (the ones in america simply go back under the bridge to sleep ). and i also recall them eating scrumptious home cooked meals (vocal slender specifically asked for the woman to garnish his rice with plantain) the ones in america are given mouldy cheese sammiches by volunteers on the streets, some of them had familys that they live with, some were financing a music career with the money they earned from collecting cans (the ones in america wish they had that kinda luxury ). bruh ? i think the ignorant one is you
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by debosky(m): 3:39pm On Nov 17, 2010
So homelessness is the only definition of poverty?

Do you know how many homeless people live under bridges in Nigeria? Or will you classify the shacks on stilts that many live in on the lagoons as homes?

Unbelievable lengths to support a baseless argument.

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (34)

Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) / All Seven Personnel Die In The Abuja Aircraft Crash - Airforce Confirms / Fatal Accident At Abuja Junction, Kaduna (Disturbing Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.