Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,805 members, 7,872,677 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 07:32 PM

Governor Sanwo-olu Drops ‘His Excellency’ Title - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Sanwo-olu Drops ‘His Excellency’ Title (352 Views)

Charles Soludo, Rejects ‘His Excellency’ Title, Opts for ‘Mr Governor’ / BREAKING NEWS: Lagos State Governor Drops ‘your Excellency’ Title / Sanwo-Olu drops ‘Your Excellency’ title, says only God is excellent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governor Sanwo-olu Drops ‘His Excellency’ Title by GistCaster: 6:23am On Nov 07, 2019
In a surprise move wednesday, Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has said the prefix “His Excellency” should no longer be attached to his name officially.

The governor, in a statement he signed renouncing the prefix, said “in the last five months that I have been privileged to exercise the mandate freely given to me by the great and hardworking people of Lagos State, it has come to my consciousness to review certain features of citizen-government relations which impede the genuine expression of the democratic spirit of our society and the meaningful exercise of the sovereignty of our people.

“The office of the governor has been celebrated as the paragon of excellence, a temple of perfection and a throne of purity. This demi-god mystique spreads over the entire machinery of the executive arm of the government, symbolising an authoritarian disposition on the governed. It has deformed the orientation of elected and appointed persons who are paid from the taxes of the people to see themselves as oppressors who can do no wrong and must be served, rather than serve the people.”

The governor added that for whatever reason, he’s human and should be seen as such. “Whatever might have been the reason for this myth, let us be honest, the office is occupied by a mortal who has been called upon to serve the electorate with humility – and sincerity. The office of governor is a public trust that calls for sacrifice, modesty and willingness to add value to the lives of the people.

“Fellow Lagosians, I have concluded that for us to change the narrative of governance, we have to strike down this seeming symbol of executive arrogance that commands popular obeisance and undermines the democratic role of citizens as the masters of those they have elected and appointed to
serve.”
It is a conviction that I believe will send the right signals to all politicians and civil servants that service to the people has brought us here. It is the duty we are obliged to do. It is the responsibility that we bear wherever we find ourselves; whenever we are called to serve.

“Only God, the Almighty, the Creator, the Protector is the Most Excellent. No man can share His eternal qualities.

“Thenceforth, I wish to be addressed simply as Mr. Governor, a title that will constantly remind me that I have been chosen out of so many fellow compatriots to lead a collective salvage of our political economy. A salutation that sanitises the paraphernalia of office and reminds us of all of our imperfections and mortality. To give official effect to this announcement, I shall issue tomorrow an executive order that will formally ensure full compliance with this new policy,” he said.

Gist from Gistmore
http://gistmore.com/sanwo-olu-drops-his-excellency-title

Re: Governor Sanwo-olu Drops ‘His Excellency’ Title by GistCaster: 6:24am On Nov 07, 2019

Re: Governor Sanwo-olu Drops ‘His Excellency’ Title by Mynd44: 6:30am On Nov 07, 2019
Re: Governor Sanwo-olu Drops ‘His Excellency’ Title by khallebb(m): 6:31am On Nov 07, 2019
Beautiful!
Re: Governor Sanwo-olu Drops ‘His Excellency’ Title by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 6:33am On Nov 07, 2019
angry angry angry

Will this make him do his work as governor of Lagos State... Cos his administration is becoming the worst in the history of Lagos.
Re: Governor Sanwo-olu Drops ‘His Excellency’ Title by Ebios(m): 6:38am On Nov 07, 2019
Somebody should call me if it reaches fp
Re: Governor Sanwo-olu Drops ‘His Excellency’ Title by princemillla(m): 6:42am On Nov 07, 2019
Next thing he should resign and let competent hand continue the good work of Fashols- Amode
Re: Governor Sanwo-olu Drops ‘His Excellency’ Title by Tuitai: 6:43am On Nov 07, 2019
This is interesting
Re: Governor Sanwo-olu Drops ‘His Excellency’ Title by Chubhie: 6:44am On Nov 07, 2019
Reminds me of that Chief servant governor....
Re: Governor Sanwo-olu Drops ‘His Excellency’ Title by TooNoisy(f): 6:44am On Nov 07, 2019
This is a very good move. The citizens need to understand that goverment officials are elected to serve us. What is excellent about them? Especially those we have had since 1960.

Whether political stiunt or not, it helps to change the mindset of the citizenry when they understand that these governors are chief servants and not gods to be worshipped. I hope other governors follow soon.

1 Like

Re: Governor Sanwo-olu Drops ‘His Excellency’ Title by Abortedfetus(m): 6:53am On Nov 07, 2019
Dat's not gonna stop him from looting d treasury dry.
Misplaced priority.
angry
Re: Governor Sanwo-olu Drops ‘His Excellency’ Title by justtoodark: 6:57am On Nov 07, 2019
oo my.... shocked shocked

look gbege.... shocked shocked
Re: Governor Sanwo-olu Drops ‘His Excellency’ Title by justtoodark: 6:58am On Nov 07, 2019
the governor of lagos has spoken....
Re: Governor Sanwo-olu Drops ‘His Excellency’ Title by mandarin: 7:04am On Nov 07, 2019
I've actually thought within myself that should I become a governor or president, I will drop this excellency of a thing, it can only belong to God. I dont want to share such salutation with the almighty Himself.
God bless you Mr. Governor

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Oga Fashola, Why Are You Like This? / Femi Gbajabiamila Meets Japanese Prime Minister And The Speaker / Bayelsa Decides: Local Canoe Carrying Journalists Capsizes In Sampou

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.