Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,155 members, 7,890,918 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 12:41 AM

Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili (21191 Views)

The Senate Without Dora Akunyili / Saharareporters: Dora Akunyili's Resignation Letter / Tension Over Akunyili’s Senatorial Ambition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by beeman80: 1:27pm On Nov 18, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Source?
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 2:26pm On Nov 18, 2010
^^^ ur such a retard! brits do not refer to their country as "jand" that is a nigerian slang for the UK. go to England and ask any non-nigerian "how are u finding jand?" and see if they wont look at u like u speaking french. plus "uncle sam" is a personification of the US government not a slang for the united states. educate urself before u come here to talk trash.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Ossaifamous(m): 2:38pm On Nov 18, 2010
Madam, does it matter what name we give to a country when the country is still the same thing
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by IgadtSwag(m): 3:35pm On Nov 18, 2010
@tensor777 and slyfoxxjoe

lonewolf:

Ah, mumu dey sha. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, you are not entitled to you own facts.

And the fact is: anybody who is actually connected in anyway to contemporary Nigerian life (who isn’t a member of the political elite, and, thus, far removed from reality) knows that Nigerians have been referring to Nigeria as “Naija” for a long time now. While the heavy use of this phrase is relatively recent, it’s not as if it just started. For Nigerians in Nigeria, it’s probably used in a way to expedite conversation and keep things moving. For Nigerians abroad, it’s mostly used as a term of endearment by which they refer to Nigeria. So, it’s not uncommon to hear people on the streets of England or the U.S., for example, use the word in conversation. (Think: “When you dey go Naija?) Words like “Naija”, “Naij”, “Lasgidi” and “J-town” are obviously used to refer, affectionately, to places Nigerians, home and abroad, feel indelible connection to. Somewhat similar to Jamaicans referring to Jamaica as “Yard” or “J.A.”. Or People from Trinidad & Tobago referring to their home country as “Trini”.

To somehow equate this with illiteracy or vagrancy as you do is, quite frankly, idiotic. What exactly is the problem with Nigerians referring to their home nation as "Naija"? When somebody is able to answer this question intelligently, without resorting to senseless obfuscation, we'd take them serious.

You know what your problem is? It’s not that you are unintelligent – this is not in doubt. Your problem is that, despite the obvious limitations of your brain, you think you are intelligent – this is your problem.

You clearly have limited understanding of Nigerian culture and the Nigerian soul. This is why you would take offence to the fact that people refer to their home nation affectionately as “Naija”. Ironically, people like you, once in the U.S., have no problem with people from South Carolina saying they are from “South Cacchie”, or people from the Brooklyn saying they are from “Brook-nam”, or people from Mississippi saying they are from “Ole Miss”.

These terms are essentially terms of endearment. Nothing more, nothing less. And “Prof.” Akunyili obviously gaffed by making this comment. It is condescending, it is bone-headed and it is moronic.

In the final analysis, in this country, we actually have more serious concerns. People are worried about real things: how they’ll pay their bills, etc. Nobody cares what some elitist politician thinks.

.Hope u guys read this.I don't think you guys are more educated than him.Unfortunately for you guys,your posts have been so unconvincing for your level of education which you so impliedly claim.You could easily have done better trying to convince this house/thread.

Ever heard it said that the voice of the people is the voice of god.Between you and me,I don't always subscribe to this but at an instance like this,it sure is.Especially considering the history of how the name 'Nigeria' came to be.

My opinion of you guys is you're probably to old,old fashioned,close minded,laid back to be on this thread.And lets see who will stop using it cos far as i am concerned,she only just made the name more popular.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 3:48pm On Nov 18, 2010
^^^ education is the pillar of every country. the reason nigeria is so messed up lets face is is becuz of education or rather the lack of it. a countries economy is strong becuz its people are educated or innovative enough to make money,spend it within the country and creating wealth for the nation. a countries political system is strong becuz the politicians are educated enough to rule properly and the people in turn are educated enough to revolt and protest against mis-governance. POOR EDUCATION AND ILLITERACY IS THE PROBLEM WITH AFRICA I CANNOT EMPHASIZE IT ENOUGH! if we cant start fixing the problem by properly pronouncing our own countries name proprly, i wonder when this nation will change.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 4:48pm On Nov 18, 2010
There is nothing wrong in using the slang "Naija or 9ja" to refer to Nigeria. It's just an identity, a uniqueness. We all know the official name is Federal Republic of Nigeria
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by IgadtSwag(m): 4:57pm On Nov 18, 2010
slyfoxxjoe:

^^^ education is the pillar of every country. the reason nigeria is so messed up lets face is is becuz of education or rather the lack of it. a countries economy is strong becuz its people are educated or innovative enough to make money,spend it within the country and creating wealth for the nation. a countries political system is strong becuz the politicians are educated enough to rule properly and the people in turn are educated enough to revolt and protest against mis-governance. POOR EDUCATION AND ILLITERACY IS THE PROBLEM WITH AFRICA I CANNOT EMPHASIZE IT ENOUGH! if we cant start fixing the problem by properly pronouncing our own countries name proprly, i wonder when this nation will change.

I think some of your wires are touching.You have the ideas but you are just on the wrong lane.I'll attempt to cross you over sha.Do you have problems with the names LasGidi/Lag or Abj for Lagos and Abuja respectively. Do you?If No,then you're quite coming to your senses but if Yes,then your name 'SLYFOXXJOE' must be a representation of your stupidity and arrant illiteracy just as you purport that calling the name Naija makes us illiterate.You therefore have no business on this thread or nairaland for that matter.

I bet Dora has not given it a thot that her birth cert. reads Dorothy.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by DanielGb(m): 5:05pm On Nov 18, 2010
There is nothing wrong using the language, it is a slang fro  pidgin English, and to come to reality THE MOST USE LANGUAGE OR WORDS TO COMMUNICATE IN OUR COUNTRY IS PIDGIN ENGLISH, see me go meet Iya Oloja na pidgin i go use, forget it we are not white guys and we can't continue following them like "Zombi", infact i will advice we change Nigeria to Naija - and the Motto should be (Naija 4 Life), many of our Artist, Show Organizers and those that commercialize all use this words, that is the best way to Interact so Mrs Dora or Gift any one, plz madam face the problems of this country and not the name.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by lonewolf: 5:21pm On Nov 18, 2010
slyfoxxjoe:

Nobody disputes the notion that an educated and innovative workforce is a prerequisite for a strong economy. That, however, is not the issue here. The issue here is divided into two flanks. One: you and other people like "Prof." Dora have a problem with people like us referring to Nigeria as "Naija". Two: you equate the use of that word with illiteracy. On both flanks, you are wrong. Firstly, here has never been anything fundamentally, historically or culturally wrong with referring to where you're from by a term reflecting endearment. Even Pres. Obama has said on TV before that he is from "Chi-town" (Chicago).

Secondly, that people use terms of this such is not indicative of their level of education. Obama, for instance, has a JD from Harvard and a BA from Columbia. I use the word "Naij" and unless you have a PhD, it's probably safe to assume that I have a more robust education that you do.

And just to piss you off even more, I'd say it: "I'm a Naija boy. Screw you and "Prof." Dora!"
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by IgadtSwag(m): 5:30pm On Nov 18, 2010
^^^ I feeling the boy,feeling feeling the boy.***jus singing.tho I know u r not a boy***
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 5:41pm On Nov 18, 2010
^^^ screw u and ur lousy phd. what matters is where u get the damn thing from. a phd holder from uilag cant step to a BA holder from george town uni. u have no idea what college im in at the moment so dont bring stupid assumptions into the discussion. dora has done more for that country than u would ever dream of so when educated enlightened people like her talk, u shut the hell up and listen.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 5:44pm On Nov 18, 2010
^^ ps post a link to where obama refered to chicago as chi-town im really interested in seeing it. it would be silly of him to use a street slang in a formal interview even obj wont do that.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 5:49pm On Nov 18, 2010
and pls all of u saying dora,s full name is dorothy are wrong. Dora is actually a name and not short for dorothy.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by lonewolf: 5:52pm On Nov 18, 2010
slyfoxxjoe:

^^^ screw u and your lousy phd. what matters is where u get the damn thing from. a phd holder from uilag cant step to a BA holder from george town uni. u have no idea what college im in at the moment so dont bring silly assumptions into the discussion. dora has done more for that country than u would ever dream of so when educated enlightened people like her talk, u shut the hell up and listen.

Awww. Did I hit a nerve? Bottom line is this: people like you and Ms. Dora are snubs. You think you are better than everybody else. You think that you know what's best for Naija -- note the use of the word -- simply because you attend some obscure college in the U.S. I am not making assumptions about you, I am just calling a spade a spade. You are an elitist snub who thinks saying the word "Naija" automatically means the user is dumb.

Unfortunately for you, I see through you, so, once again: f--u--c--k you and Ms. Dora.

Saving Naija is not my priority at the moment. I'd leave that to elitist Ministers who can barely contain their contempt for the people they are supposed to be serve. Don't worry about my education slyfoxxjoe. My daddy saw to it that I gained it from solid institutions. But unlike you, I won't tell you where.

Mumu oshi.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 6:02pm On Nov 18, 2010
^^^ ok no probs u got personal by bragging bout ur phd first incase u cant remember. on a lighter note these are some of the achivements of mrs dora and why i feel people like her should be listened to and not insulted. for Gods sake this woman nearly lost her life for that country and yall toungue lashin her like this?
Some of the awards Prof. Akunyili has received are:

Time Magazine Award 2006( "One of the eighteen heroes of our time"wink- Time Magazine Inc.
Person of the Year 2005 Award - Silverbird Communications Ltd, Lagos, 05-01-2006
Award of Excellence - Integrated World Services (IWS), Dec. 2005
Award of Excellence - Advocacy for Democracy Dividends International, Lagos, 17-12-2005
Meritorious Award 2005 - St. Michael’s Military Catholic Church, Apapa, Lagos, 04-12-2005
African Virtuous and Entrepreneurial Women Merit Award 2005 - African Biographical Network, Dec. 2005
Award for the Best Government Parastatal - National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), December 2005
An Icon of Excellence Award - The African Cultural Institute and Zenith Bank Plc, 08-12-2005
2005 Grassroots Human Rights Campaigner Award London Based Human Rights Defense Organization. 08-12-2005
Most Innovative Director Award Federal Government College, Ijanikin, Lagos. Oct. 2005 [4].
Integrity Award 2003 - Transparency International[5].

let me see u top this
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by lonewolf: 6:12pm On Nov 18, 2010
Mate, I said "unless you have a PhD". Perhaps you should read the post again. You know: for someone who attends college in America you're beginning to disappoint me.

I don't give two squirts of piss about Dora. She's a snub. Apart from Transparency Int'l, all these awards are essentially pointless. I think that she should focus on substantive policy not nonsense. And you, my friend, need to study harder.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 6:23pm On Nov 18, 2010
^^ people like u are the reason Nigeria in its current state. what does the antheme say bout the labours of our heroes? they are meant to be praised and encouraged not insulted this way. all this big deal for what? just bcuz she asked u to adress the country by its proper name? and BTW im sure she wasnt directing the comment at the average nigerian on the street. she was probably refering to Nigerian companies which use the term in their slogans and in other official ways. doing this can damage the image of the country and perception of Nigerians internationally. but narrow minded idiots like u just dont have the brain capacity to comprehend the seriousness of the situation.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 6:43pm On Nov 18, 2010
lonewolf:

Mate, I said "unless you have a PhD". Perhaps you should read the post again. You know: for someone who attends college in America you're beginning to disappoint me.

I don't give two squirts of piss about Dora. She's a snub. Apart from Transparency Int'l, all these awards are essentially pointless. I think that she should focus on substantive policy not nonsense. And you, my friend, need to study harder.
Are you sure you're okay there? All this vitriol directed at Dora because she said that Nigeria should be referred to its proper name. ?
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 7:02pm On Nov 18, 2010
^^^ help me ask this illiterates oh! i no know wed dem take "naija" swear for dem! whats the big deal?
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by lonewolf: 7:22pm On Nov 18, 2010
slyfoxxjoe:

^^^ help me ask this illiterates oh! i no know wed dem take "naija" swear for dem! whats the big deal?

The above comment is ironic. A supposed literate saying: "help me ask this illiterates".

Nah, mate, people like Ms. Dora are the ones responsible for the state Naija is in today. Clearly, as a Minister, she's confused as to what her job entails. You defend her so stoically I am starting to think she's your mum. If she is, tell her to switch it up.

You are obviously going through life with an IQ that's around 0.00879 of a percentage point. If this weren't the case, you'll see that I have attempted to empirically discredit the suggestion that there's a problem with referring to Nigeria as "Naija". I've even compared it to other nationals referring to their native countries by terms reflecting endearment.

All you have done is declare that people like me are dumb. When it's you who is obviously strutting around with limited brain power, the analytical strength of retarded raccoon and the IQ of a shoe-lace soaked in water. This isn't vitriol, this is just fact.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by IgadtSwag(m): 11:12pm On Nov 18, 2010
slyfoxxjoe:

^^^ ok no probs u got personal by bragging bout your phd first incase u cant remember. on a lighter note these are some of the achivements of mrs dora and why i feel people like her should be listened to and not insulted. for Gods sake this woman nearly lost her life for that country and yall toungue lashin her like this?

ha ha ha.I like it when som peeps fink they have enuf ammunition in their pistol only to find out thier opposition uses an automatic.Sowie ehn.u drew out your sword first.it jus so happened that you got hit real bad.o de ka yin lara!

You guys r just pissing me off ryt now.EDUCATED BUT NOT EXPOSED.lemme tell you somfin when Dora looses this baseless fight the lot of u can go claim cameroun.or Niger or Chad, pick your choice,but jus make sure you leave Naija for awon Omo Naija!.Chikena!
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by yori: 11:36pm On Nov 18, 2010
Lonewolf have said it all, now u all should just relax. Seriously, what Dora really need is 'chill pill' and I know just the right place to get it for her, if she's interested ofcourse ha ha grin
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by oyinda3(f): 12:04am On Nov 19, 2010
lonewolf:

Even Pres. Obama has said on TV before that he is from "Chi-town" (Chicago).

help me tell him o grin

IgadtSwag:
your name 'SLYFOXXJOE' must be a representation of your stupidity and arrant illiteracy just as you purport that calling the name Naija makes us illiterate.You therefore have no business on this thread or nairaland for that matter.

I bet Dora has not given it a thot that her birth cert. reads Dorothy.

ouch lol
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by kg(f): 8:22am On Nov 19, 2010
Let me hear you screeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaam "Naija!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by IgadtSwag(m): 10:23am On Nov 19, 2010
"NAIJA,NAIJA,NAIJA,NAIJA,NAIJA,NAIJA,NAIJA,NAIJA,NAIJA'
  NAIJA,NAIJA,NAIJA,NAIJA,NAIJA,NAIJA,NAIJA,NAIJA,NAIJA'
  NAIJA,NAIJA,NAIJA,NAIJA,NAIJA,NAIJA,NAIJA,NAIJA,NAIJA"                                            '

Where's the police? Or Dora who do you intend to use?

Dora:Tension777 and Slyfoxjoe.They are my  boys.Very loyal.

Sergent:What! No wonder they here singing your praise.

Sergent:TENSHIORN!!!

Tension777: SIR

Sergent:FOXMAN!

Slyfoxjoe: SIR

Sergent: Report for duty.Make una go dey arrest anybody wey say 'Naija'.

No collect shandy o.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by stranger12: 11:12am On Nov 19, 2010
I bet Dora has not given it a thot that her birth cert. reads Dorothy

I guess this topic should be rebranded
grin SAY NO TO "DORA" - Akunyili grin
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by FBS: 11:29am On Nov 19, 2010
^^^ LOL! grin
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 11:34am On Nov 19, 2010
mr lonewolf or whatever u call urself u a a blazing retared! first of let me let u know that i dont spend my entire life on nairaland like u and most times when im here, im usually multitasking with various other more important things, thus i type really fast and hence pron to some typographic errors. it doesnt have anything to do with my level of literacy ok? secondly ur iv pointed out that academically and intellectually, i can bet an arm and a leg that u are no where near my level. ur family would probly have to sell all its assets and a few of its members into slavery to afford even half of my MBA tuition fees. (note i pay this of myself). thirdly u would never in three life times achieve what this woman ur lashing has acheived in her life so until u do, u have no rights to disrespect her. fourthly u are the worlds biggest liar for sayin obama ever reffered to chicago as chi-town in a formal interview. i asked u to post a link if ur sure sure of it and u went dumb like the retard u truely are. and finally to the main topic of today, ur obviously too foolish to understand why this woman made the comment as she did, it all has to do with branding and the manner in which we portray the country internationally( note she directed the comment not at individuals but at Nigerian companies which may operate internationally) i study business so i know the damage poor branding could do to the image and eventually sales of an organization. (thats what could make Nike dro a whole tiger woods once they realised he was bad for business)it could also apply to a nations economy. do u expect other international corporations to take nigerian firms seriously when they are so playfull? mispronouncing the nations name and all? my friends this is serious business. we have to rebrand everything about that nation and the first point of call is to start pronouncing our own name properly. now this is the last i would contribute to this thread. its obviusly full of retards like mr lonewolf. i wonder what manner of woman gave birth to a slow poke like u. ur mother must have been screwed whilst standing on her head, bcuz thats the only explanation i can associate with ur level of idiocracy.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 12:09pm On Nov 19, 2010
and mr igadtswag or whatever, ur not even worthy of a response. pathetic fool
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by IgadtSwag(m): 12:31pm On Nov 19, 2010
slyfoxxjoe:

and mr igadtswag or whatever, your not even worthy of a response. pathetic fool

Opps! you just responded.

Too bad u r not making any more posts(that's if u r capable of keeping to your word).Was beginning to enjoy myself.

Anyway,everyone cant always share the same opinion so Here is Wishing u well in your future endeavors.

I'll pretend I didn't see your insult.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by NaijaEcash(m): 12:55pm On Nov 19, 2010
I'm proudly Naija 4 Life! grin

I'm Naija born! cheesy

So what will the government do about it? Arrest us?  shocked

"won fepa le, won wa npa lapalapa"

Professor Akinyuli should focus on something that will benefit the populace. Nigerian youths say yes to Naija 4 life!
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by jamesugo: 3:18pm On Nov 19, 2010
She has no point.We are still the great people of NAIJA.
After Minister of comm.and Info;what nest?
May be she wants to contest in next election and trying to get the great NAIJA votes.
Go sit down asshole (Akuyili)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Okada Ban In Anambra: Operators Groan As 15,000 Lose Jobs In Onitsha, Awka / Jonathan Backs Sheriff As Makarfi Vows To Fight On / Lagos IGR Rises By N32.99bn — Higher Than 33 States Put Together

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.