Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,375 members, 7,950,793 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 10:16 PM

Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili (21377 Views)

The Senate Without Dora Akunyili / Saharareporters: Dora Akunyili's Resignation Letter / Tension Over Akunyili’s Senatorial Ambition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 2:34pm On Nov 17, 2010
^^^ ur obviously in the uneducated majority league so i wont even waste my time on u.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by mrofficial(m): 2:37pm On Nov 17, 2010
^^ educated man, go use am collect money for bank. So re u saying someone that someone that thought jand was a country is educated? Ode!
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 2:41pm On Nov 17, 2010
pardon me if im wrong but how is someone who thinks "jand" is a country not uneducated? u and the silly girl are obviously birds of the same feathers. do u even know what country the so called "jand" is meant to represent? let me see the level of intelligence of the fool im arguing with before i proceed
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 2:44pm On Nov 17, 2010
two more points 1) i AM using my education to "collect money 4 bank. literally! grin 2) if ur so proudly "naija" why does ur signature say "deep in the heart of "nigeria"? hypocrite tongue
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by creamyswit(f): 2:45pm On Nov 17, 2010
madam mrs minister,please go try out some other stuff ok.naija has come 2 stay and there is notin u or any1 can do about it .stick dat into your head.atmost,go hug the closest transformer, naija 4 life
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Esinwaju: 2:57pm On Nov 17, 2010
@slyfoxxjoe, there's nothing bewildering about a lagos girl not knowing what 'jand' is, our levels of exposure differ but i'm positive that the number of young ones that know what 'jand' is, is much more than those that don't.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Shinor(m): 2:57pm On Nov 17, 2010
Naija as a term reffering to Nigeria, was adopted by the youths of this country to show their undying love for their fatherland and their unwavering belief in it's eventual emergence as the true leader that she is.
The same youths are the driving force of any nation - the real power block.
Maybe that power needs to be unleashed by starting a campaign to remove Dora Akinwahatever as a Minister. This country deserves better.
Dora Must Go,
Start a new thread and sign up if you think she has outlived her usefulness
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Esinwaju: 2:57pm On Nov 17, 2010
@slyfoxxjoe, there's nothing bewildering about a lagos girl not knowing what 'jand' is, our levels of exposure differ but i'm positive that the number of young ones that know what 'jand' is, is much more than those that don't.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 3:04pm On Nov 17, 2010
and for all u illiterates saying brits "nickname" their country UK, americans US, australians OZ i can see how trully daft u lot are. those are not "nicknames" but country codes used for porposes of travel and other international relations issues to which nigeria has one too (NG) so why not go about calling it NG instead of naija? fools! tryng to tarnish the image of this great nation and her patriotic daughter (dora0 who is one of the few who genuinly cares about the countries international image. do u think abacha or babangida could give a hoot what u term the country? NO! why? BECUZ THEY DONT CARE! was it not the same dora that forced a whole sony to appologize after disrespecting our nation in their silly advert and all of u where on her side then. now u call her all sort of names bcuz she puts the focus of blame on u! typical nigerians, always quick to point out and make noise when others disrespect us, but go crazy when we are asked to adress our own internal problems. keep up with this attitude and see how far it will get the nation!
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by kstrika(m): 3:07pm On Nov 17, 2010
FEDERAL RE-POR-BLIK OF 9JA 4 LIFE,
WEDA SHE LIKE IT OR NOT,                                                                                  
I REPRESENT NAIJA 4 LIFE,                                                            TNX N JAH BLESS          
                                                                                                                MRS MINISTER,
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Parnassuss(m): 3:10pm On Nov 17, 2010
I REP NAIJA!
TRUE NAIJA SPIRIT!!
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by kstrika(m): 3:17pm On Nov 17, 2010
mr{phd,pdd,doc,illiterate,brat,a**hole. slyfoxxjoe}
i dn't see any reason we shld stop using abrivation on our own 9ja.
''haba'' abi u come from zimbabwe? i see, anyway jus go n brush up
n get ready 4 anoda new slanz, 9ja,
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by mrofficial(m): 3:25pm On Nov 17, 2010
slyfoxxjoe:

pardon me if im wrong but how is someone who thinks "jand" is a country not uneducated? u and the silly girl are obviously birds of the same feathers. do u even know what country the so called "jand" is meant to represent? let me see the level of intelligence of the fool im arguing with before i proceed

How does someone that sing "saucekid, you don dey mad" is uneducated?

slyfoxxjoe:

two more points 1) i AM using my education to "collect money 4 bank. literally!  grin 2) if your so proudly "naija" why does your signature say "deep in the heart of "nigeria"? hypocrite  tongue

If only you understood me.

slyfoxxjoe:

two more points 1) i AM using my education to "collect money 4 bank. literally!  grin 2) if your so proudly "naija" why does your signature say "deep in the heart of "nigeria"? hypocrite  tongue

And why do i still have a dispute with you and your mother?

slyfoxxjoe:

and for all u illiterates saying brits "nickname" their country UK, americans US, australians OZ i can see how trully daft u lot are. those are not "nicknames" but country codes used for porposes of travel and other international relations issues to which nigeria has one too (NG) so why not go about calling it NG instead of naija? fools! tryng to tarnish the image of this great nation and her patriotic daughter (dora0 who is one of the few who genuinly cares about the countries international image. do u think abacha or babangida could give a hoot what u term the country? NO! why? BECUZ THEY DONT CARE![b] was it not the same dora that forced a whole sony to appologize after disrespecting our nation in their silly advert and all [/b]of u where on her side then. now u call her all sort of names bcuz she puts the focus of blame on u! typical nigerians, always quick to point out and make noise when others disrespect us, but go crazy when we are asked to adress our own internal problems. keep up with this attitude and see how far it will get the nation!

What is a whole? Who gave a bleep if they didn't apologize? they could have packed their bags outta Nigeria! Is sony greater than the Power of Naija?

Well on this one she didn't hit the nail on the head. She's beginning to derail, if she needs our support, she will listen to Nigerians, and not just think she can do, say anything she likes. This one is totally nonsense! She is going GAGA!
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by largie(f): 3:33pm On Nov 17, 2010
This is what happens to people when they get 'over recycled'. Dora has used up all the useful resources in her to help move the nation forward. Instead of leaving when the ovation was very loud for her and leave people with fond memories of her tenure, Na lie she became 'Mario' now she talking from her sleep.  Now tell me, is that information or misinformation.Or she wan tell me she no dey use that term?.Oyibo sef for use am if dem sabi am
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by udeze(m): 3:51pm On Nov 17, 2010
If Nigerians are happy with the name Naija, then no offence, who even gave us that name called "Nigeria" b/c I'm sure it wasn't given by a Nigerian, I think it's time to change from Nigerian to Naija officially
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by damilola15: 4:59pm On Nov 17, 2010
I personally don't like it especially when a non-Nigerian says it.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by ayubam: 5:08pm On Nov 17, 2010
@slyfoxxjoe go and ask a girl of that age in Canarywarf or New York what Naija means and let's see wether they will have any idea. Y not be reasonable. Naija is just a slogan use to xpress the country. It has never been used in any official meeting. How do u feel when you hear Great Ife, Greatest Akokites, Great Ladokites, Great UItes etc. I do not think corruption comes to your mind. It is solidarity, the power to achieve the impossible. That is how youth feel when they hear Naija. The woman obviously is disconnected from her society and cannot really represent the people. That was how she was so slow deciding about the Late President. Do you know we have suddenly forgotten who signed the budget, FOI Bill has been neglected and it is electoral act Galore and this does not border Madam. ,

NAIJA is a great slang. The woman should have even anchor her rebranding on using the word Naija that is still Fresh. E.g We are NAIJA. Great people from Nigeria. That is branding.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Ruq: 5:29pm On Nov 17, 2010
This woman is just plain crazy every country looks for a funkyzized way for people to call them then this idiot comes up with this. Then they should start arresting everyone who says it. This woman is dumer than i thought.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by yeswecan(m): 5:45pm On Nov 17, 2010
udeze:

If Nigerians are happy with the name Naija, then no offence, who even gave us that name called "Nigeria" b/c I'm sure it wasn't given by a Nigerian, I think it's time to change from Nigerian to Naija officially

I was kinda expecting someone to trow that up - British reporter Flora Shaw, who later married Lord Frederick Lugard, suggests that the country be named "Nigeria" after the Niger River in an essay which appeared in Times magazine on 8 January 1897. At the time of her suggestion she was just Lugard's girlfriend. . . hence this country was named by the girlfriend of a colonial administrator.

If we expand the argument to what is Original then Naija seems better been bottom-top. Mrs. Akunyili made a point but i think we should be able to debate this and know what the people think. . . . it is not enough to suggest that Naija means something it is not.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Jenpoet(f): 6:42pm On Nov 17, 2010
Nigeria, hmmm, sounds better grin
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 6:42pm On Nov 17, 2010
^^^so are u suggesting the name of the country be officially changed to "naija" or what? bcuz i dont understand what u guys are all about
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 6:43pm On Nov 17, 2010
^^^the above comment was directed at yeswecan
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by vislabraye(m): 6:44pm On Nov 17, 2010
She's very opinionated. Although i wont tongue lash her because of her past achievements in NAFDAC
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by occam(m): 7:46pm On Nov 17, 2010
ok the minister goofed-up on this one; now enough of the Akinyuli bashing. People need to chill out

So what next? I think this is a good time to start the conversation on whether the name "Nigeria" has to change. If people hate the name "Nigeria" so much, then advocate to change it & stop clinging to Naija. For me Naija/Nigeria is the same thing like Demola (Demo), Bankole (Banky), Bukola (Bukky) etc. although some say that using Naija is more inspiring than Nigeria. really? Naija is in vogue now, but will it still be trendy in 30,40 yrs time?

Nations have changed names and after sometime it sticks (Upper Volta > Bourkina Faso). I don't think a name change will make much difference if the current state of things in Nigeria continue
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by lonewolf: 8:41pm On Nov 17, 2010
Akunyili is being ridiculous. The word is obviously used in most cases as an affectionate way to refer to the homeland. There are many variations. I know a lot of Nigerians that say "Naij", "Naija", etc -- just as some people affectionately refer to Lagos as "Lasgidi". There is nothing offensive about this. Offensive to who?  And for a Minister to focus on this is shameful really. It's reflective of how hopeless things are. She's just being a slowpoke.

Unfortunately, this is someone's mother.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Builder: 8:49pm On Nov 17, 2010
Not surprised, if the name "naija" was coined by a white man, i bet that will be accepted.

Later she wld say we should nt be call pu55ey toto again,
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by reindeer: 10:37pm On Nov 17, 2010
Builder:

Not surprised, if the name "naija" was coined by a white man, i bet that will be accepted.

Later she wld say we should nt be call pu55ey toto again,

grin grin grin
For real?Dora said that?That woman needs a job. . .or a life grin grin grin
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by donugapi(m): 10:41pm On Nov 17, 2010
Abeg that woman should go and shag NEPA pole, Idiot, Who made her a professor make we go check, I think Shes carrying Oluwole certificate.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by DamiKhojie(m): 10:45pm On Nov 17, 2010
hhhmmm Naija,
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by surveycash(m): 10:56pm On Nov 17, 2010
creamyswit:

madam mrs minister,please go try out some other stuff ok.naija has come 2 stay and there is notin u or any1 can do about it .stick dat into your head.atmost,go hug the closest transformer, naija 4 life
creamyswit:

creamyswit:

[size=16pt]ose[/size]
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 11:02pm On Nov 17, 2010
occam:

ok the minister goofed-up on this one; now enough of the Akinyuli bashing. People need to chill out
So what next? I think this is a good time to start the conversation on whether the name "Nigeria" has to change. If people hate the name "Nigeria" so much, then advocate to change it & stop clinging to Naija. For me Naija/Nigeria is the same thing like Demola (Demo), Bankole (Banky), Bukola (Bukky) etc. although some say that using Naija is more inspiring than Nigeria. really? Naija is in vogue now, but will it still be trendy in 30,40 yrs time?
Nations have changed names and after sometime it sticks (Upper Volta > Bourkina Faso). I don't think a name change will make much difference if the current state of things in Nigeria continue
There is nothing wrong at all with the present name Nigeria. so no need to start another pointless debate.
However the minister is absolutely right that Nigeria should be known by its proper name and not a lazy sloppy derivation.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by mrofficial(m): 11:15pm On Nov 17, 2010
tensor777:

There is nothing wrong at all with the present name Nigeria. so no need to start another pointless debate.
However the minister is absolutely right that Nigeria should be known by its proper name and not a lazy sloppy derivation.

The known name that has been dragging us to the pit.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

5 PDP Federal Lawmakers Decamp To APC / Boris Johnson, Buhari, Biden, Atiku, Others Mourn Prince Philip / I never said Wike And Fayose Will Be Expelled: Sherrif

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.