Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,219 members, 7,873,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 10:20 PM

Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award (13125 Views)

Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him / Chinua Achebe Branded Vehicles Spotted In Uganda / 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by 912(m): 7:34am On Nov 16, 2019
So na which award he come deserve na? Since he is beyond the highest literary award

Chai...I laugh in Swahili

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by YorubaAmaka(m): 7:35am On Nov 16, 2019
I give it to him

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by kevotek1000(m): 7:36am On Nov 16, 2019
I love his literary works... Chinua Achibe lives on...

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by Olaolex: 7:37am On Nov 16, 2019
Twofoursix:
Booking space.
space booker noted! ��
Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by Ndipe(m): 7:38am On Nov 16, 2019
emapeteum:
Chinua Achebe was an outstanding scholar of international. But saying his plethora of other wards he got thwarted that of the Nobel Prize is laughable.

No, it is not ridiculous. Stop making the Nobel Prize as the greatest award ever, there is no yardstick in measuring its prestige no matter what. It is just an award. Or would you say that because Achebe never won the Nobel, he wasnt as good of a writer as those who won?

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by StaffofOrayan(m): 7:39am On Nov 16, 2019
Oh yeahhhh

Tranquillity360:
We yorubas hate him for writing the true history about the war.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by makinson2865: 7:46am On Nov 16, 2019
these fifu with chest beating, must u indirectly compare achebe and wole in your write up?
Igbo n dea inferiority complex.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by Paulo3ree(m): 7:51am On Nov 16, 2019
munchi:
Great brain .....things fall Apart is a book one can’t get tired of reading but I don’t know why our sick government don’t encourage it, rather we import Macmillan for kids to read
We can’t have people like chinua,chiamada,wole etc yet They approve Animal farm for kids undecided
You're very right.
But eeh, animal farm is a great book too
Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by munchi(m): 7:55am On Nov 16, 2019
Paulo3ree:

You're very right.
But eeh, animal farm is a great book too

Yeah but half of a yellow sun is explaining our culture more than all Animals are equal lol
Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by Seniormanfeyyie(m): 7:57am On Nov 16, 2019
Achebe is extremely good but Mr poster let me educate you. Chinualumogu Achebe has strength in the area of prose while wole Soyinka does drama,prose and poetry. The three areas are the core areas of literature and that's why wole Soyinka is still rated higher than him. Case closed.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by wrose(m): 8:05am On Nov 16, 2019
The real GOAT!
Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by Nobody: 8:07am On Nov 16, 2019
Lol. If Chinua Achebe had gotten the Nobel prize for literature before he died I'm sure the op and those that think like him will never disparage the Nobel prize.

Its just like the story of the fox and the sour grape.

A very hungry fox saw a bunch of ripe and tantalizing grapes hanging from a branch and it looked like he could jump and eat them.

Despite the fact that he was very hungry, no matter how high the fox jumped, he could not reach the grapes.

So, tired and frustrated, and even hungrier, he hissed and muttered to himself as he left, "those grapes are even sour. Why am I bothering myself".

Chinua Achebe and fans = the fox.

Nobel prize for literature = sour grapes.

cheesy

18 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by Makuos19: 8:07am On Nov 16, 2019
Seniormanfeyyie:
Achebe is extremely good but Mr poster let me educate you. Chinualumogu Achebe has strength in the area of prose while wole Soyinka does drama,prose and poetry. The three areas are the core areas of literature and that's why wole Soyinka is still rated higher than him. Case closed.
So how is Wole Soyinka rated higher than him

Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by Paulo3ree(m): 8:09am On Nov 16, 2019
munchi:

Yeah but half of a yellow sun is explaining our culture more than all Animals are equal lol
Animal farm cuts across culture, in fact animal farm is culture on its own. It helps you be on the know of various human traits, importance of having a common force and so on

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by AkwalaIke1: 8:14am On Nov 16, 2019
[s]
helinues:
The funniest part, I have not read any of his book yet..

Will take time.. But not soon
[/s]
Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by LZAA: 8:15am On Nov 16, 2019
Fadomero:
You can say the man is good not beyond nobel laurel him brain then learn from wole
Shatap

Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by LZAA: 8:16am On Nov 16, 2019
They wee soon invade the thread
Coneheaded structures grin
Sai sir chinua
Cc immhotep GMBuharii greenback Afamed zombieterror

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by munchi(m): 8:17am On Nov 16, 2019
Paulo3ree:

Animal farm cuts across culture, in fact animal farm is culture on its own. It helps you be on the know of various human traits, importance of having a common force and so on

The British greed doesn’t relate to the common Nigerian cultural problem .....haven’t you noticed the average Lagos or Abuja kid can’t speak her local dialect ? Our culture is going away that’s why our local masquerade is evil but Halloween is swag ....we need our culture back in any way possible ....

Which indomie generation kid knows about oduduwa or ofor?
Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by Nobody: 8:24am On Nov 16, 2019
munchi:

The British greed doesn’t relate to the common Nigerian cultural problem .....haven’t you noticed the average Lagos or Abuja kid can’t speak her local dialect ? Our culture is going away that’s why our local masquerade is evil but Halloween is swag ....we need our culture back in any way possible ....

Which indomie generation kid knows about oduduwa or ofor?

Really?

You mean you actually read the Animal Farm by George Orwell and you couldn't find a comparison in the book with Nigeria's current situation?

I am very sure you've never read that book before.

3 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by madridsta007(m): 8:25am On Nov 16, 2019
Fadomero:
You can say the man is good not beyond nobel laurel him brain then learn from wole

Wole Soyinka the Buharist.

Achebe would have NEVER jettisoned his character for whatever crumbs the government of the day throws at him. NEVER.
Values, character and principle is what makes the Igbo man revered and disdained by his countrymen. You would have thought that these were honourable attributes.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by Greenback: 8:29am On Nov 16, 2019
LZAA:
They wee soon invade the thread
Coneheaded structures grin
Sai sir chinua
Cc immhotep GMBuharii greenback Afamed zombieterror

grin grin grin grin grin

And fill the whole place with nitrogenous ewedu and sulphuric gbegiri amonia gas
grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by Enemyofpeace: 8:34am On Nov 16, 2019
Rubbish na jealousy go kill una tongue tongue

8 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by Enemyofpeace: 8:36am On Nov 16, 2019
912:
So na which award he come deserve na? Since he is beyond the highest literary award

Chai...I laugh in Swahili
no mind them, na jealousy dey worry rhem

5 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by LZAA: 8:40am On Nov 16, 2019
Greenback:

grin grin grin grin grin

And fill the whole place with nitrogenous ewedu and sulphuric gbegiri amonia gas
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by kokomilala(m): 8:43am On Nov 16, 2019
I think we should just stop politicising the Nobel Prize. Yes, Achebe didn't win it, but it didn't diminish his status as a literary giant.
Achebe changed the wrong perception of the West about Africa.His iconic Things Fall Apart was a reaction to Joyce Carey's Mister Johnson and Joseph Conrad's The Heart of Darkness.
Things Fall Apart is the greatest African novel ever.It's also on the list of the 100 greatest novels ever written in English language. And talk of the 10 best English novels of all time,it's also on the list.Not quite long,the British public voted it as the 5th greatest novel written in English language.
I'm a Yoruba and I love Soyinka style of writing, but when it comes to prose narrative, set forth in a compelling and moving fashion, it's got to be Achebe in Africa and elsewhere. Not many tell stories like him.

10 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by Crixxx: 8:49am On Nov 16, 2019
Chinua Achebe is greater than Wole any time any day.. The European only favoured Sole just to spite China based on how deep and true his stories were.. Corruption began with the British.

5 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by AfroKnight: 8:50am On Nov 16, 2019
Why you have to mention the Nobel prize is baffling. We know he is a good storyteller and poet. That’s undeniable.

Inferiority complex

7 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by IvarTheBoneless: 8:55am On Nov 16, 2019
Crixxx:
Chinua Achebe is greater than Wole any time any day.. The European only favoured Sole just to spite China based on how deep and true his stories were.. Corruption began with the British.

e pain am. grin grin grin

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by MoIbrahim: 9:07am On Nov 16, 2019
This Nobel Laureate matter sha grin

Guys, Chinua Achebe was a great man. Concentrate on the prizes he won.

4 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award by Nobody: 9:12am On Nov 16, 2019
His by far Nigeria's if not Africa's GOAT.
I've always wondered why he never won the award too but am pretty sure is got to do with politics......
Loved his novels with the likes of Elechi Amadi, Cyprian Ekwensi, Chukwuemeka Ike etc they're my favorite writers no books today can compare to theirs

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Man: Bob Dylan, Newly Crowned Nobel Laureate / My Friend's Son (18+) / Finding Me (a true life story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.