Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,774 members, 7,965,916 topics. Date: Friday, 04 October 2024 at 03:21 AM

A Visit To Asagba, Asaba, Delta Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Visit To Asagba, Asaba, Delta Nigeria (743 Views)

A Visit To An Aquarium In Downtown Toronto / Animals At Kofar Gamji Park, Kaduna: A Visit After Reopening (Photos & Video) / A Visit To Oniru Beach, Victoria Island, Lagos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Visit To Asagba, Asaba, Delta Nigeria by maryamuwane: 11:57pm On Nov 22, 2019
I've traveled to places in books and real life �, so I've experienced different cultures, many I've received with shock.
I recently visited the palace of Asagba of Asaba. Within the short time I spent in the palace, I learnt a lot about their culture. Though on my entry into the town, I saw many women riding bikes and scooters, I was not too surprised because it's a thing where I come from too but it says a thing about their culture. While in the palace, I met the chiefs, they were all old and educated which shows how important they consider education, I said this also because there were very few hawkers in the streets.
They believe the throne is never empty even in the king's absence so the throne is addressed like the king is present. It was funny at first �
I understand they take their culture very seriously and the old are regarded with much importance, they are given the honor of breaking the kolanuts and praying in their language.
The culture shock I experienced was when one of the chiefs took the kolanut and served everyone, it felt really awkward, I mean there were younger people present but the old man went round serving everyone.
Then we were told about their relationship with Jesus, their ancestors knew when he was being crucified. According to the story, the night turned into day, and day into night. The gods told them an innocent man was being crucified after consultation (the man's description was made to fit Jesus), so they were to perform atonement.
Interesting, isn't it?

(1) (Reply)

Canada Study Permit / Travelling To Gambia By Road / Travel Agents To Avoid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.