Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,410 members, 7,901,137 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 12:56 AM

Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer (15467 Views)

Wole Soyinka Battled With Prostate Cancer / Wole Soyinka Reacts To Buhari Being Cloned, Decries Cases Of Stolen Identity / Wole Soyinka Reacts To Wedding Of His Son, Oretunlewa And Nneka Ekechukwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by Surulereman(m): 7:19am On Nov 28, 2019
frankfrancis871:
sad

Nobel laureate, my foot!
The likes of Elder Wole Soyinka are the reason we are in this abominable damnation today, they have agreed to remain silent in face of abnormalities.

Now, we talk; it's tagged hate speech.
We buy Iphone and probably wear designers; they tag us ''yahoo boys
We protest; it's tagged terrorism
We preach revolutions and referendum; it's tagged war

Most of us have lost hope and gone into hiding, some have manage to escape but then people like Onyedika; are still fighting, masturbating, talking... We have chosen dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery, we still preach revolution and truth!
What is wrong with this one? Did you truly comprehend the write up? Anyway, the Prof called your condition "the cancer of illiteracy."

One day, our people will arise and the oppressors will gnash their teeth in pain; till then we remain resolute and committed.
Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by Nobody: 7:22am On Nov 28, 2019
Gistfresh:

“I repeat: I have yet to see the programme, but perhaps I should start thinking of my next collaboration with the BBC or any other public awareness outreach, this time, around the urgent theme of a different form of cancerous affliction: the cancer of illiteracy!”

Source: https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2019/11/27/soyinka-reacts-to-media-distortions-of-his-2014-experience-with-cancer/amp/

the cancer of proud arrogant, in your face illiteracy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by voltron14: 7:23am On Nov 28, 2019
Mrpsly247:
Sometimes I feel if you don't take the test u don't get cancer... Thank God u won

Wrong.

You don't detect it on time.

By the time it rears its head it would be way to advanced to seek solution.
Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by Surulereman(m): 7:23am On Nov 28, 2019
[quote author=joy4real1 post=84431450][/quote]
Cancer of illiteracy. He hit the nail on the head.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by Adakintroy2: 7:25am On Nov 28, 2019
I woke up late. I had thought Yoruba leaders were actually heroes. But now I know the buck of them has menstrual clocks.

The way obj tore pdp card and the way this one above with lady part and we'll put together sentence complain against Jonathan regime. One would think they were is for all this Nigerian.
Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by sirbegojay(m): 7:27am On Nov 28, 2019
Good day my fellow nairalanders, please I need you help in paying for my house rent in school. I school in Federal polytechnic Oko. If you want any form of evidence I would provide. Please where I'm staying I pay 60,000. Please no amount is too small to help me.
God would bless you abundantly.

Adieme Chisom
GTBANK

If there's a need to contact me for any question, here is my number 09024241295
Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by Mckandre(m): 7:27am On Nov 28, 2019
B
Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by Tospringe: 7:28am On Nov 28, 2019
frankfrancis871:
sad

Nobel laureate, my foot!
The likes of Elder Wole Soyinka are the reason we are in this abominable damnation today, they have agreed to remain silent in face of abnormalities.

Most of us have lost hope and gone into hiding, some have manage to escape but then people like Onyedika; are still fighting, masturbating, talking... We have chosen dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery, we still preach revolution and truth!

One day, our people will arise and the oppressors will gnash their teeth in pain; till then we remain resolute and committed.
You are mad!
The man is 85 years old and he has always being a fighter. He fought Yar'adua cabal ruthlessly when Yar'adua health status was made anonymous.
What meaningful thing have you ever done with your life ?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by armadeo(m): 7:29am On Nov 28, 2019
Tribalist have begun.

It is well. Las las una go dey alright.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by pennywys(m): 7:29am On Nov 28, 2019
frankfrancis871:
sad

Nobel laureate, my foot!

the likes of ur dad doing what?
Prof. is not a politician, before you blame prof. blame ur dad he must have done something to help the situation of the country

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by Mariangeles(f): 7:33am On Nov 28, 2019
emkz:

Nobel no be beans oh.

When the country was not this bad, Wole Soyinka, Gani Fawehinmi, Femi Falana, Adams Oshiomole, Beko and Fela Kuti put governments on their toes. Military governments I mean.

As far as I know, these guys have paid their dues, and whether we deny it or not, the youth is not ready to lead. Take Dino who wanted to invade the INEC HQ because of his election whereas he has not led a protest to the DSS to release Sowore. Look at Yahaya Bello, the youngest governor in Nigeria.

I tell you, young folks brought down tyrranical governments in Egypt, Sudan and Tunisia. The young folks in Nigeria are just not ready and things would only get worse until they rise and seize their heritage.

PS: When Murtala Mohammed, Theophilus Danjuma, Dongoyaro, Kaduna Nzeogwu, Emmanuel Ifeajuna et al were planning and executing coups, they were mostly under 36. Ojukwu led a war at 35. Gowon led this nation at 27. My point is that the youth in that generation had more balls than the youth of today. The youth of today rant on social media and think life is about making money and balling. Rise and say NO! Two million youth matching to Aso Rock can bring down a government.
Word!
Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by Mariangeles(f): 7:34am On Nov 28, 2019
sirbegojay:
Good day my fellow nairalanders, please I need you help in paying for my house rent in school. I school in Federal polytechnic Oko. If you want any form of evidence I would provide. Please where I'm staying I pay 60,000. Please no amount is too small to help me.

Adieme Chisom
GTBANK

Squat with a friend.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by yellowman2225(m): 7:39am On Nov 28, 2019
frankfrancis871:
sad

Nobel laureate, my foot!

This man you accused of keeping silent has gone to prison once for you Igbos, he has ran from deaths severally for speaking up. Can you show me any of your family ever imprisoned for speaking up against the Government?

Wole Shoyinka came from family of activist including FEla kuti, beeko kuti, Olikoye Ransome Kuti and so on including the Mother of the Kutis Greatest mother of all time, Funmilayo Ransome Kuti that fought till her death. Don't misunderstand me. Shoyinka is only a relative of the Kutis and has always been a fighter.

Can any of your relative at Shoyinka's age still be as active as Shoyinka is? I doubt if that will be affirmative!!!

Cool down, read Soyinka's Books, read history and you will understand that Woles history of struggle can never be erased from the history book of Nigeria.

Think twice before posting rubbish a National hero.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by Sanchez01: 7:42am On Nov 28, 2019
frankfrancis871:
sad

Nobel laureate, my foot!

Soyinka has always been at the fore of post-colonial struggle and has more works than any African writer in line with this.

I don't know where you guys get this half baked knowledge from but if there is one person who hasn't not stayed silent over the present condition of Nigeria despite the gagging and constant attacks on government critics, it is Soyinka. He may have preferred the candidacy of Buhari to Jonathan's but he wasn't slow to make a U-turn when he saw Buhari for the fraud that he is. This same man took a bullet for the Igbos by being imprisoned when others cowered.

Most African writers, including Achebe addressed pre-colonial Nigeria and Africa and stopped there but Soyinka was one of the tiny few who did tons of works including several anthologies to address post-colonial era in Nigeria and Africa.

Your so-called referendum has always been drums and chants of war. From killing Yoruba pastors who visit Igbo land to killing any Yoruba and Hausa person in sight, to going to Abuja to chop of the head of a sitting president.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by ekestic1976(f): 7:51am On Nov 28, 2019
midolian:
Awon ti Chinua Achebe...Bitter ones!

Go and take the noble laureate from him and give to your undeserving father na..

Rabbish!undecided
Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by AmuRubber(m): 7:53am On Nov 28, 2019
sirbegojay:

Adieme Chisom
GTBANK

I would advise you to pray that philip0906 doesn't come across your post.
Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by odurombi: 7:57am On Nov 28, 2019
tete7000:
Baba Soyinka too dey bother himself over trivial matters. Sometimes I feel he likes being petty. What I read matches his explanation and people are free to give whatever interpretation they like to whatever anyone says. If you don't want to be misinterpreted, don't talk, and when you speak too much grammar, expect much misrepresentation from the people. At his age, you will expect him to understand this basic principle...

Right on point.
Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by itu404(m): 7:58am On Nov 28, 2019
You flay him in such terms where were your likes when he was thrown into jail in for justice, where were you when he had to escape on bike when the military junta was after him where were you when he led the road safety corps to become the only parastatals in those days above bribery and refuse and ' the Oga i beg", syndrome that has rendered institutions weak in your country and did a perfect job. No one is perfect but do be reasonable when you address the good ones among them. wetin be dat.
frankfrancis871:
sad

Nobel laureate, my foot!

5 Likes

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by mofedamijo(m): 8:00am On Nov 28, 2019
frankfrancis871:
sad

Nobel laureate, my foot!

Where were the likes of your father when Prof. wole soyinka, gani fawehinmi and co. were been jailed by the military government for speaking up He has been speaking before you were born, so shut the hell up and get a life.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by yeyeosoronga: 8:03am On Nov 28, 2019
frankfrancis871:
sad

Nobel laureate, my foot!

You've not done a quarter of what Wole Soyinka did
when he was your age. Even till old age, he has been joining protests and making his voice heard during different successive governments. If he decides not to join protests in his 80s, he is allowed. He still manages to at least speak up, while our young persons like you are more concerned about Tacha and Lambo, who is doing what in big brother, and how to drill holes. No direction. Just come online on an anonymous forum and pretend to be lions meanwhile in real life, weaker than a kitten.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by CaptainFM1: 8:04am On Nov 28, 2019
emkz:

Nobel no be beans oh.

When the country was not this bad, Wole Soyinka, Gani Fawehinmi, Femi Falana, Adams Oshiomole, Beko and Fela Kuti put governments on their toes. Military governments I mean.

As far as I know, these guys have paid their dues, and whether we deny it or not, the youth is not ready to lead. Take Dino who wanted to invade the INEC HQ because of his election whereas he has not led a protest to the DSS to release Sowore. Look at Yahaya Bello, the youngest governor in Nigeria.

I tell you, young folks brought down tyrranical governments in Egypt, Sudan and Tunisia. The young folks in Nigeria are just not ready and things would only get worse until they rise and seize their heritage.

PS: When Murtala Mohammed, Theophilus Danjuma, Dongoyaro, Kaduna Nzeogwu, Emmanuel Ifeajuna et al were planning and executing coups, they were mostly under 36. Ojukwu led a war at 35. Gowon led this nation at 27. My point is that the youth in that generation had more balls than the youth of today. The youth of today rant on social media and think life is about making money and balling. Rise and say NO! Two million youth matching to Aso Rock can bring down a government.

My brother....I've said this same thing before too. I'm still wondering while we (youth...myself included) are so tamed.

The only answer I could find is that "The Elites do not want the masses to be liberated".

The Elites are profiting from the backwardness of the masses.

So, they will not give them good and adequate education that will empower and embolden them to fight for their rights. Even the so called "right" they don't even want us to have any.

The Elites dangle a very big carrot � and also hold a long stick to control the hungry masses. They institute poverty for their own selfish gains. So anyone that makes effort to reach for the carrot must have really been lashed.

Trust me. The masses are technically tamed/controlled. We are the only people that will have opportunities to change a bad government every 4years, but will still vote for a worst one. They will receive #2000 carrots and sell their votes.

We need the likes of Sowore that's demanding for better governance. Our current youth will not. They will rather play Nairabet, sniff ganja and drink tramadol. Yahoo-yahoo is now legitimate business. The ladies want quick money...so prostituting pays them. The Elites are in perfect control and are also not ready to make things better for the masses.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by Nobody: 8:53am On Nov 28, 2019
frankfrancis871:
sad

[s]Nobel laureate, my foot!

One day, our people will arise and the oppressors will gnash their teeth in pain; till then we remain resolute and committed. [/s]

O ma she o.

You read all of that and this was what you were able to produce from your cranium?

You probably weren't even conceived when Soyinka was fighting for the masses and being imprisoned for it.

What a shame!

Social media likes and shares has eroded the minds of so many youths and even the elderly ones who should know better but will come online and be spilling bogus grammar to impress faceless people.

Soyinka has done his own bit. Right from when he was a youth. The man is over 80 years old, yet some hapless youths want him to keep leading protests all around Nigerian landscape.

Ask them what their own contributions are and they will tell you they are Marlians.

Shior. Iranu.

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by Nobody: 8:57am On Nov 28, 2019
tete7000:
Baba Soyinka too dey bother himself over trivial matters. Sometimes I feel he likes being petty. What I read matches his explanation and people are free to give whatever interpretation they like to whatever anyone says. If you don't want to be misinterpreted, don't talk, and when you speak too much grammar, expect much misrepresentation from the people. At his age, you will expect him to understand this basic principle...

So if people misinterpret his words, he should not correct them?

And I thought everyone had a freedom to express themselves.

Put some respeck on his age, boy.

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by Nobody: 9:09am On Nov 28, 2019
makewetalk2:
All these old men should just ride their wheelchairs in peace. People are moving forward and you are disturbing us with an old man's reaction. You guys should let these civil servants enjoy their old age. Tomorrow you will post another topic complaining about how he reacted to post that you just made. Just let people be! Post resourced materials, not trivials.

Does anyone know any child who has an Opera voice?
Most preferably a child from a very poor home who can qualify for a scholarship.

Hopefully when, or should I say if you clock 80 years on earth, a toddler who doesn't know his left from his right will ask you to shut the fvck up and ride your wheelchair in peace, irrespective of whatever you might have managed to achieve in life.
Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by JastSiryin(m): 10:36am On Nov 28, 2019
UnitedNigeriaUN:
The Media is being used to tear Nigeria and Nigerians apart...

Media in this part of the world is solemnly for propaganda.
You don't know what you're saying... American media is even worse
Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by nengibo: 10:46am On Nov 28, 2019
so called activists who lost there voice during Apc led regime, spits**
Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by GEEBITE: 11:33am On Nov 28, 2019
Gowon was 32 heading to 33.Though still a relatively young age but let us always try to set records straight.
emkz:

Nobel no be beans oh.

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by emkz: 12:38pm On Nov 28, 2019
GEEBITE:
Gowon was 32 heading to 33.Though still a relatively young age but let us always try to set records straight.

Thanks for the correction!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Is Your Best Novelist? / Dirty Diamonds Of Boko Haram Part 2....by Eze Eke / Funmi-lion: A Tale Of A Lioness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.