Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,336 members, 7,881,243 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 03:02 PM

Why sharia council reject power rotation– Baba Ahmed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why sharia council reject power rotation– Baba Ahmed (642 Views)

2023 Election Highlights Imperative Of Power Rotation By Farooq A. Kperogi / Power Rotation: Fayose Reading PDP’s Constitution Upside Down – Atiku / 2023 Presidency: Northern Elders Reject Power Shift To South (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why sharia council reject power rotation– Baba Ahmed by oshozondii: 9:40am On Nov 30, 2019
Dr. Nafiu Baba Ahmed, is a lawyer and Secretary General of the Supreme Council for Sharia in Nigeria

What should be the role of religious leaders in Nigeria’s politics?

I can only speak about Muslim leaders. My own view on the kind of role they should play, because I have seen the role of the Christian leaders, now let me talk about my own perspective. We had a governor, a Christian cleric in Taraba state who died, who had numerous cases with EFCC. We have had another one in Plateau who is claimed to be a religious bigot. They had bad records. Their religious teaching or faith has not impacted on their leadership role as leaders. In my view, Muslim leaders should not engage in partisan politics ,seeking political office. This is against the background that the democracy we practice harps on perpetual division within the society through political parties that are struggling for power. This is bound to cause a division. If a respected Islamic scholar contests for position under a particular party, then others will begin to see you from that party, not as a scholar or clergy; whatever you say, they will look at it from party angle. What they should do is to remain as successor of Prophet who teaches and stands for the truth and justice irrespectiveof whoever, whether the government or the governed. Tell the people what and how they should live. That is their role and any move to join partisan politics will cost them their respect and reputation. But equally, they should actively be involved in ensuring the emergence of credible leadership at the different levels in the country. If scholars remain with true teaching on the religious doctrines, they will exert serious influence in determining who is to be what in politics, rather than going to governors’ offices for favour.

Would your organization want to see sharia practiced across Nigeria, in the 36 states?

No, no. You cannot implement sharia in Cross River, Akwa Ibom or Enugu, Anambra or Ebonyi. It ‘ll look absurd, and it’s against the teaching of Islam. We’ll live together with those states who are predominantly Christians because that is how God wants it and told us what to do. We respect people’s religion as I respect my own.

Our mission is to see the implementation of sharia in states that are predominantly Muslims. In the North, seven states, Southwest, four states, only Ondo and Ekiti have lesser Muslims numbers. Even if it is implemented in those states only Muslims will be applied to.

Do you support power rotation or zoning arrangement between the North and the South?

My view and that of my Council and other Muslim organizations we relate with is that democracy is a game of numbers. Henceforth, we’ll not associate with any political party that seeks to subvert the fundamental principles of democracy which is numbers. Why should the majority accept minority leadership just for a principle of zoning. Let anybody qualified to contest for any position or feels he has sufficient numbers of support and credibility get it, so be it. We’ll not support any zoning. Anybody that comes with parochial thought of zoning or rotation, we’ll reject. Any credible person, be he Hausa, Yoruba or any person could canvass for support and free to be elected. The argument of the advocates for rotation does not hold water , it is self-serving and I feel that they don’t have the numbers so the only way for them to scale through is hide under this, with negative propaganda. Nobody can intimidate us , we ‘ll never accept this arrangement.
https://www.sunnewsonline.com/why-sharia-council-reject-power-rotation-baba-ahmed/
Mynd44
Seun
Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Why sharia council reject power rotation– Baba Ahmed by Abdul05: 9:44am On Nov 30, 2019
democracy is a game of numbers.meaning majority rule while minority suffer.God punish you.Nafiu!

1 Like

Re: Why sharia council reject power rotation– Baba Ahmed by TorukMakto: 9:51am On Nov 30, 2019
Terrorist council

The same Sharia Boko Haram and Yoruba Muslims are fighting for?
Re: Why sharia council reject power rotation– Baba Ahmed by orisa37: 9:53am On Nov 30, 2019
BABA AHMED IS AN EGYPTIAN.
Re: Why sharia council reject power rotation– Baba Ahmed by Racoon(m): 10:28am On Nov 30, 2019
See the barbaric humanity I'm sharing nationality with? sad Political Islam does not tolerates sharing or participatory democracy.
Re: Why sharia council reject power rotation– Baba Ahmed by Racoon(m): 10:29am On Nov 30, 2019
God punish Lord Lugard for amalgamating this contraption called Nigeria.
Re: Why sharia council reject power rotation– Baba Ahmed by TooMuchStuff: 10:49am On Nov 30, 2019
Hypocrisy of the highest order. Where do u see the Prophet dispensing justice to everyone in the Quran? I have studied the English Quran severally and can authoritatively tell that Islam is a pure political movement of "We" against "them"

Lagos, Osun, Ogun Ekiti Ondo and Oyo are all Christian dominated states.

All of SS and SE and all of Middlebelt except Niger and Kwara are all Christian dominated states too.

Taraba, Adamawa and Gombe are in the bag too

3 Likes

Re: Why sharia council reject power rotation– Baba Ahmed by BlackfireX: 10:56am On Nov 30, 2019
Yoruba Moslems will be confused right now....

Hahahahahahahaha

2 Likes

Re: Why sharia council reject power rotation– Baba Ahmed by DogmaNation: 11:13am On Nov 30, 2019
grin grin grin
2023 Yorubas will cry blue murder,but the rest of the South will just be laughing, because we finally got our revenge! Spits angry angry

2 Likes

Re: Why sharia council reject power rotation– Baba Ahmed by myright: 11:47am On Nov 30, 2019
following
Re: Why sharia council reject power rotation– Baba Ahmed by wingmanIII: 1:12pm On Nov 30, 2019
But you love quota system.
Animal
Re: Why sharia council reject power rotation– Baba Ahmed by tartar9(m): 1:37pm On Nov 30, 2019
TooMuchStuff:
Hypocrisy of the highest order. Where do u see the Prophet dispensing justice to everyone in the Quran? I have studied the English Quran severally and can authoritatively tell that Islam is a pure political movement of "We" against "them"

Lagos, Osun, Ogun Ekiti Ondo and Oyo are all Christian dominated states.

All of SS and SE and all of Middlebelt except Niger and Kwara are all Christian dominated states too.

Taraba, Adamawa and Gombe are in the bag too

With how you dominate most of the states,no wonder christains make up like 70% of Nigeria's population.
Re: Why sharia council reject power rotation– Baba Ahmed by TooMuchStuff: 1:42pm On Nov 30, 2019
tartar9:

With how you dominate most of the states,no wonder christains make up like 70% of Nigeria's population.
Knew u are coming..!
The only Nairalander that wish me banned for life.

(1) (Reply)

Buhari To Launch $50m Transportation University In Daura / Nigeria Is Our Country, No One Should Be Afraid - Sowore / CPJ Fumes As Nigerian Govt Freezes Sahara Reporters Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.