Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,358 members, 7,891,577 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 03:21 PM

Thirsty - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Thirsty (313 Views)

The Thirsty Fish--story Of A Homeless Teenager / Thirsty Desire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Thirsty by iamglad(f): 10:49pm On Dec 03, 2019
We had had a long day. The sun was blazing hot. I absent-mindedly trudged out of the sea of gray and white uniforms. Getting home was the most important thing on my mind because getting home would lead me to get earthenware that bore cool, fresh water. The thought made me swallow involuntarily. I winced. My throat was constricted because only sticky saliva that was almost none existent found its way down my patched throat. I could have easily had cold satchet water outside the school, but that would have meant walking the 20 minute drive from school to home. The purpose of the water bought would have then been defeated. Better to stick with hiking a rickety ride to my bustop and walking the not short distance home, to my earthenware pot.

I was relieved when I finally alighted from the overcrowded bus. Greasy, sweaty faces, repugnant armpit odours and uncouth barbaric chatters were the price I had to pay if I really wanted to get home on time. The first buses to leave the school gate were the ones that bore the loud and dirty chatterboxes - the rowdy students who had spent their transport fares on yoghurts and sausages and now, would board buses in pairs making a fourteen passenger bus bear 26 people instead. The other little cabs that admitted civil students and would not allow for the barbarity of pairing( or is it doubledecking now?) came much later. Waiting for them would have also meant enduring the angry glare of the two o'clock sun.

Anyway, I began my walk home, consoled that in some 20 minutes, I'd be home. Halfway home, I met a pack of students from a neighbouring school - the likes of the ones that board the first buses. My eyes met with the most appealing sight. Cold water. The degree of my thirst, well nigh made me forget my principles - never stooping so low as to beg. To think that I really would have, appalled me. Those students were the true colour of repulsive. What with their necks shiny black with grime, and their dirtysocks clad feet raising one hell of a dust as they walked!

I decided I didn't want any of what was theirs. Just as I was about to turn my eyes from their company and continue on my journey after choosing to maintain my integrity, they did the most damning thing! They unanimously threw the half empty satchets of water they were drinking away.

What on Earth! Wait... Prior to this time, I wouldn't have thought much of this. It was pretty much normal for students to throw water away. Even I, did it most times. My eyes rested longingly on the sweating satchet that was now covered with sand. My eyes followed the gentle spurts of the cold liquid as it found its way through a tiny opening and into the sand. Closing my eyes for a split second and swallowing for the second time that afternoon was a reflex.

My eyes trailed the backs of those who had committed this sacrilege. They continued in thier garrulous way, oblivious to what had been done. Just for the briefest of moments, my eyes misted over. I quickly blinked to stall what might happen next and continued on my way home.

I vowed never to waste water again, no matter how small. I figured placing the half empty satchets on pavements or low walls along the street was better than throwing the whole thing away. At least I was sure it would be useful to some persons, even if it was in the minutest of ways. Perhaps someone thirty is watching from behind, and hoping to God, that he could partake of the water.

If you come across such satchets anywhere, just know that I have passed by that way. I have had a satchet of water to drink and have been unable to finish it.

The End
Re: Thirsty by iamglad(f): 10:50pm On Dec 03, 2019
Lesson: When next you waste something, remember it is the prayer of someone else.

Lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

The Importance Of The Advent Reading / Closed / Avid Non-fiction Reader And Researcher, Good Writers Should Apply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.