Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,396 members, 7,881,436 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 07:35 PM

Thieves Stealing Toyota, Lexus Vehicles Using Key Fob 'Relay' - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Thieves Stealing Toyota, Lexus Vehicles Using Key Fob 'Relay' (59100 Views)

Help, Thieves Have Ruined My Car. / Get Your Direct Tokunbo Engines And Gearbox For Your Toyota And Lexus Vehicles / Key Fob Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thieves Stealing Toyota, Lexus Vehicles Using Key Fob 'Relay' by xeros20(m): 6:01am On Dec 06, 2019
adanny01:
I came across this and it seemed very interesting.

The writter said Toyota and Lexus, the car for illustration is Benz. Why
Re: Thieves Stealing Toyota, Lexus Vehicles Using Key Fob 'Relay' by MetaPhysical: 6:18am On Dec 06, 2019
I mean, I dont know why they are alarmed that it is possible to mimick the key fob. At its minimal the radio signal exchange between the fob and the car is using bluetooth, not infrared. The advantage it has for security is encryption, simple! If you exploit the encryption successfully, even a smart phone paired over bluetooth will unlock the car by simply deceiving it with touchtone signals. They should not be alarmed at all.

Keeping fob in freezer and in bank vault is all bullshyyte. The way to prevent this type of theft is first to disable the bluetooth system in the car, you will then have to use the milled key in the door to unlock the car. If its push start model...just rest the fob on the start button it will start. Why should that work if bluetooth is deactivated? Because the key start uses NFC but the door unlock uses bluetooth pairing.

2 Likes

Re: Thieves Stealing Toyota, Lexus Vehicles Using Key Fob 'Relay' by adanny01(m): 6:58am On Dec 06, 2019
roladex:
why u come dey open d yansh and format of how dem take dey steal the cars.u wan make our boys begin experiment

This method is high tech remember. The average car thief in Nigeria would rather use a gun.

1 Like

Re: Thieves Stealing Toyota, Lexus Vehicles Using Key Fob 'Relay' by EZARANDHOBS(m): 7:12am On Dec 06, 2019
Old news
Re: Thieves Stealing Toyota, Lexus Vehicles Using Key Fob 'Relay' by KushLyon(m): 8:26am On Dec 06, 2019
Sofistcatdmoron:
Americans have great hackers and programmers,they lead in software aspect,
but china rules in the world of hardware technology
No fu*ck with Russian hackers o grin
Re: Thieves Stealing Toyota, Lexus Vehicles Using Key Fob 'Relay' by TroubleMaker47(m): 10:07am On Dec 06, 2019
Raysleek:
If this is true then car companies will upgrade the fon security system. I smell many recalls
It's been on for yrs now in the UK.
Funny thing is that the signal amplifier and relay devices sells for barely $50 on Alibaba

1 Like

Re: Thieves Stealing Toyota, Lexus Vehicles Using Key Fob 'Relay' by gonkin(m): 11:24am On Dec 06, 2019
It's why I hate push to start. My old car had this conversation that can make u start the car remotely but I refused to install
Re: Thieves Stealing Toyota, Lexus Vehicles Using Key Fob 'Relay' by conductor250: 11:34am On Dec 06, 2019
[s]
MetaPhysical:
I mean, I dont know why they are alarmed that it is possible to mimick the key fob. At its minimal the radio signal exchange between the fob and the car is using bluetooth, not infrared. The advantage it has for security is encryption, simple! If you exploit the encryption successfully, even a smart phone paired over bluetooth will unlock the car by simply deceiving it with touchtone signals. They should not be alarmed at all.

Keeping fob in freezer and in bank vault is all bullshyyte. The way to prevent this type of theft is first to disable the bluetooth system in the car, you will then have to use the milled key in the door to unlock the car. If its push start model...just rest the fob on the start button it will start. Why should that work if bluetooth is deactivated? Because the key start uses NFC but the door unlock uses bluetooth pairing.
[/s]
Wireless key entry does not use Bluetooth.
Re: Thieves Stealing Toyota, Lexus Vehicles Using Key Fob 'Relay' by showafrica(m): 12:37pm On Dec 06, 2019
Raysleek:
If this is true then car companies will upgrade the fon security system. I smell many recalls

No need to recall, 2fa will come in by OTA. However, just put a secret switch in your car simple.
Re: Thieves Stealing Toyota, Lexus Vehicles Using Key Fob 'Relay' by NaijaHeadlines: 2:26pm On Dec 06, 2019
shocked
Re: Thieves Stealing Toyota, Lexus Vehicles Using Key Fob 'Relay' by Legendguru: 6:31pm On Dec 06, 2019
Hmmm
Re: Thieves Stealing Toyota, Lexus Vehicles Using Key Fob 'Relay' by Legendguru: 6:32pm On Dec 06, 2019
Oh
Re: Thieves Stealing Toyota, Lexus Vehicles Using Key Fob 'Relay' by Legendguru: 6:33pm On Dec 06, 2019
Ohh
Re: Thieves Stealing Toyota, Lexus Vehicles Using Key Fob 'Relay' by Awoo88: 7:49pm On Dec 06, 2019
old school things na him sure pass. padlock you gear lever. take chain tie your tire. Chikena!!
Re: Thieves Stealing Toyota, Lexus Vehicles Using Key Fob 'Relay' by MetaPhysical: 6:35pm On Dec 07, 2019
conductor250:
[s][/s]
Wireless key entry does not use Bluetooth.

Wireless is the category label of a set of communication technologies that are not connected with wire. When connected with wire they are categorized as "wireline".

Bluetooth, Near Field Communication (NFC), WiFi, Infrared, Satellite, Radar...are examples of wireless communication.

Note that Infrared, Satellite and Radar were previously classified under RF communications...and still are! All wireless linkages are in fact Radio Frequencies signalling. Another good example is DECT...or Cordless devices.
Re: Thieves Stealing Toyota, Lexus Vehicles Using Key Fob 'Relay' by MetaPhysical: 6:40pm On Dec 07, 2019
gonkin:
It's why I hate push to start. My old car had this conversation that can make u start the car remotely but I refused to install

Good judgement!

If you enable remote start you are instructing the car starter to ignore NFC and start using Bluetooth by default.
Re: Thieves Stealing Toyota, Lexus Vehicles Using Key Fob 'Relay' by Kfed4ril(m): 11:32am On Dec 08, 2019
squarelead:
That's serious o, na to dey buy other brands o

Oga if you read the article you will know that no other brand is safe.
The reason Toyota and Lexus are targeted is because the are also designed for resale in Africa and Middle East as such the demand is high.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Difference Between Honda Accord (eod) 2003, 2004 & 2005 Models. / Vintage 1967 Benz 230 Used As A Wedding Car At CMS Church Lagos / New 2018 Toyota Camry: Details And Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.