Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,917 members, 7,879,809 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 07:25 AM

Nigerians In Diaspora: Will You Serve Nigeria In Any Capacity If Called Upon? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians In Diaspora: Will You Serve Nigeria In Any Capacity If Called Upon? (817 Views)

Buhari Will Be Ready To Serve Nigeria In 2019 / Can You Defend Nigeria From Boko Haram If Called Upon By The Military? / Nollywood Actor Prince Eke's Letter 2 GMB:Must You Serve Nigeria As A President? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians In Diaspora: Will You Serve Nigeria In Any Capacity If Called Upon? by igochopurs(f): 1:08pm On Dec 03, 2010
Or you will reject the offer to make a contribution because you believe Nigeria is dead?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Will You Serve Nigeria In Any Capacity If Called Upon? by Beaf: 1:18pm On Dec 03, 2010
Anybody that rejects an offer to help should be stoned on their return and any land / property they have aquired should be siezed.
. . .A bit draconian, but you get my answer. grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Will You Serve Nigeria In Any Capacity If Called Upon? by sochan: 1:38pm On Dec 03, 2010
The question needs to address the quality of people you expect them to serve with. The recent troubles of the NASS is a good example.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Will You Serve Nigeria In Any Capacity If Called Upon? by igochopurs(f): 2:33pm On Dec 03, 2010
@Beaf

You mean on the forehead or backside?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Will You Serve Nigeria In Any Capacity If Called Upon? by Gbawe: 2:54pm On Dec 03, 2010
sochan:

The question needs to address the quality of people you expect them to serve with. The recent troubles of the NASS is a good example.

Indeed. It would be extremely naive for anyone to view diasporan Nigerians as unpatriotic if they refuse to serve Nigeria . Some folks are justified , if they are now used to civility, in refusing to have anything to do with Nigerian public service. It is a savage "dog eat dog" environment capable of cowering even the most steely resolve. The example of Sanusi is pertinent. We should also then look at Okonjo-Iweala, Ezekwesili and other technocrats who made patriotic sacrifices to serve their motherland. In the end the system showed that it was not ready for folks who have gotten used to doing things the right way. On the other hand , there is the powerful arguement that change cannot come until more good people get involved so that goodness gains a foothold in our leadership stratosphere. Personally I will oblige (in fact I am working towards it already) but I can understand the viewpoint of others who flatly refuse to have anything to do with public office/service in Nigeria. We all have differently threshold of tolerance for corruption, downright incompetence, rascality, indolence and "business as usual" conduct.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Will You Serve Nigeria In Any Capacity If Called Upon? by igochopurs(f): 2:57pm On Dec 03, 2010
^^^^

What about Ayo Fayose, What about Ibori, what about Tinubu - who saw the call to serve as an opportunity to wealth beyond proportion. I guess their civility exposed them to more grandiose and in a bid to satisfy it, they end up stealing and stealing until they end up where they shouldnt be- Civility indeed.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Will You Serve Nigeria In Any Capacity If Called Upon? by Beaf: 3:03pm On Dec 03, 2010
igochopur$:

@Beaf

You mean on the forehead or backside?

No, I mean proper sharia level stoning, similar to the type based on the "eye for an eye" law of Moses. grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Will You Serve Nigeria In Any Capacity If Called Upon? by strangerf: 3:05pm On Dec 03, 2010
If called to come bang some Ibo chics I will heartily serve
If called upon to come kill some Biafrans, I will be happy to do so as well

Anything else, count me out!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Will You Serve Nigeria In Any Capacity If Called Upon? by jason12345: 3:12pm On Dec 03, 2010
strangerf:

shut up jor!!!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Will You Serve Nigeria In Any Capacity If Called Upon? by aljharem(m): 3:16pm On Dec 03, 2010
strangerf:

and let me add to that

if called upon to kill u i will do it with no buts wink
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Will You Serve Nigeria In Any Capacity If Called Upon? by Gbawe: 3:28pm On Dec 03, 2010
igochopur$:

^^^^

What about Ayo Fayose, What about Ibori, what about Tinubu - who saw the call to serve as an opportunity to wealth beyond proportion. I guess their civility exposed them to more grandiose and in a bid to satisfy it, they end up stealing and stealing until they end up where they shouldnt be- Civility indeed.

"Civility" can be embraced or rejected . Many Nigerians embrace it while abroad and thrive to become laudable Proffessionals. Those are the characters who may struggle to adapt to the lawlessness of Nigeria. On the other hand , many Nigerians abroad reject civility to embrace crimininality in the pursuit of quick cash. Ibori , for example, cannot be compared to Okonjo-Iweala. While she was swotting for proffessional exams he was busy perpetrating credit card fraud in the diaspora. You can therefore not provide examples of those who always had criminal tendencies as indicative of Nigerians who sincerely wanted to serve their country patriotically.

Your "civility indeed" jibe makes no sense to me . Undoubtedly , countries like the USA and the UK are far more civil than Nigeria. Diasporan Africans then have the choice of working hard , within a civil environment , to become successful . Those who make that choice are very visible and they make us proud. Look into how Tinubu , Fayose (an alleged UK 419ner), and Ibori spent their time in the diaspora to understand that these guys probably did not answer a call to serve . More like they deliberately positioned themselves (like most Nigerian leaders with dubious backgrounds) to become filthy rich at Nigeria's expense.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Will You Serve Nigeria In Any Capacity If Called Upon? by igochopurs(f): 3:41pm On Dec 03, 2010
Your initial post glorified all diasporians until i reminded you of the thieves amongst them.

I disagree with your connotion of Nigeria as a lawless country - because people disobey the law doesnt mean the entire country is lawless.

Look through Nairaland, people send negatives vibes to every law that is enacted- example, mandating people to put on helmets while on motorbikes, people here shouted the law is not necessary, and many more like that- so, is it the country that is lawless or the people who just find it hard to obey every law that is in place? and when you point them to the law, they shout you down and tell you why should we obey any law- driving is an ample example. People run through the red lights, drive on the other side of the traffic, are you saying Nigeria is lawless because a few refuse to obey the law of the land?

Therefore, it is wrong to connote the country Nigeria as a lawless country and to say that only those who had lived in the diaspora that can bring about civility or i dont realy know what you are talking about there.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Will You Serve Nigeria In Any Capacity If Called Upon? by Gbawe: 4:20pm On Dec 03, 2010
igochopur$:

Your initial post glorified all diasporians until i reminded you of the thieves amongst them.

My bad . I just thought , like most folks, you are thinking of responsible diasporans[b] who can actually add value [/b] to our nation when you start a topic concerning Nigerians coming back home to serve their nation. Next time I will make allowance for opportunist Nigerians ,engaged in criminality abroad, in my reflections over the type of diasporans who can move Nigeria forward.

I disagree with your connotion of Nigeria as a lawless country - because people disobey the law doesnt mean the entire country is lawless.

Lets not get into this . A Nation may be viewed as lawless when the rule of law is regularly flouted. I live in Nigeria and love many aspects oif Nigerian life. For now , Nigeria is lawless . That is not to say the situation cannot change for the better.

Therefore, it is wrong to connote the country Nigeria as a lawless country and to say that only those who had lived in the diaspora that can bring about civility

You are simply making things up .  Many nations Nigerians relocate to are far more civilised than Nigeria. That is the truth even if some of us don't wan't to accept it. If a Nigerian who has spent the past two decades in the USA , to become proffessionally successful, refuses to take up a Government appointment in Nigeria then that is understandable and it is his prerogative. Given his personal circumstances , he may be no less patriotic than those who shout from the rooftop that they are going back home to do their bit. This is my simple point you misrepresent. I make a simple observation and you are even attempting to derail your own thread. Whether we like it or not , service of a very ill motherland may not be for all diasporans. If this thread is to be interesting and informative then it must be neutral i.e it must not descend into an o.rgy of villification against Nigerians who are wary of coming back to serve their nation when they may have very good reasons to stay put.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Will You Serve Nigeria In Any Capacity If Called Upon? by igochopurs(f): 4:44pm On Dec 03, 2010
^^^

I hate too much english- honestly. You have lost me there. I dont know what i am making up. LOL.

I am not saying there are no civilised countries out there, i am simply disagreeing with your notion of Nigeria being a lawless country.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Will You Serve Nigeria In Any Capacity If Called Upon? by sochan: 4:51pm On Dec 03, 2010
@Gbawe,

You have said it all, and please no one should class Ibori amongst meaningful diasporans, the bloody thief had stealing nailed to his forehead.

that said, the Nigerians people are still not ready to welcome true change which might be brought in by diasporan, but then again why move so far, even the good people in nigeria do not get involved, because they understand that the system does not favour them. So i think until the environment is right, you will struggle to get many diasporans taking up the offer, and in most cases they are justified.

If the truth must be said, Nigeria can be very unforgiving
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Will You Serve Nigeria In Any Capacity If Called Upon? by DapoBear(m): 6:25pm On Dec 03, 2010
Would even the most patriotic Nigerian abroad be willing to leave their high-paying job in field X to be a mechanic or pure water seller if this is what Nigeria somehow wanted them to do? I don't think so.

I don't mind earning less money to serve in Nigeria (well, depending on how of a paycut), but I'd like to do what I was trained to do.

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Considers Bakare As Running Mate / Does Nuhu Ribadu Own Oil Blocks In Nigeria, Mansions In Dubai, Europe, & U.S? / Anambra Workers Walk Out Of Public Service Lecture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.