Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,271 members, 7,932,156 topics. Date: Monday, 26 August 2024 at 07:44 PM

N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run (949 Views)

Police Spends N600m On Procurement Of Dogs / The Christmas Tree That Cost Imo State Govt N600M / Test Run Of Port Harcourt Mono Rail (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by AloyEmeka8: 11:15pm On Dec 03, 2010
[size=14pt]N600m water plant collapses at test run[/size]
Friday, 03 December 2010 00:00 Hir Joseph, Lafia

Part of the N539 water treatment plant that collapsed during test run along Shendam road in Lafia, yesterday.

The overhead tank of a N539 million water treatment plant in Lafia, the Nasarawa State capital, collapsed yesterday during a test-run by the contractor. Water had been pumped into the tank for the first time when it keeled over and fell.

Ibrum Integrated Services Limited, which has N1.6 billion water project contracts in the state, was given six months from May, 2008 to complete the Lafia project with specifications to refurbish the old water works, provide two additional overhead tanks at the plants’ booster station along Shendam Road and NTA area, and to provide underground pipes through the metropolis to channel water to the various sections of Lafia.

But the project suffered serious hitches, with the completion period dragging on till yesterday, when the company’s engineers invited government officials to witness the test run at the booster station along Shendam Road.

The main tank, whose capacity was put at 3 million gallons, was filled to the brim in the test run, but its stands then began to wobble, made a screeching noise before pumping water to the various channels. Engineers and government supervisors who stood at the foot of the main tank had a premonition of impending disaster coming and they took to their heels, leaving behind some construction vehicles behind.

The stands then collapsed and the overhead tank came crashed down, ramming into construction equipment and sending water surging water into adjoining offices and all the way down the Shendam Road. Even though the booster station’s premises was hard hit, no one was hurt as the engineers and government officials had all scampered away. Nasarawa State Commissioner for Water Resources James Agule Kasse spoke to newsmen shortly after he led the Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Timothy Anjide for an on-the-spot visit to the collapsed structure, thanking God that no lives were lost.

Kasse blamed “technical problems” for the tank’s collapse but told newsmen the management of the contractors was yet to report to Lafia to give reasons. He said, “The contractor is not around. We want to meet with the contractor first because the project is still under him, and is only being test run.”

The project was expected to be presented for commissioning soon.

http://www.dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7784:n600m-water-plant-collapses-at-test-run&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8
Re: N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by AloyEmeka8: 11:39pm On Dec 03, 2010
Trust Naija engineers.
Re: N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by gongoaso1: 12:15am On Dec 04, 2010
LWKMDDD

grin grin grin
Re: N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by mrmayor(m): 12:16am On Dec 04, 2010
Aloy_Emeka:

Trust Naija engineers.
grin grin grin grin grin grin yep, I love this country, see as contractors and government officials tear race, grin grin grin grin Only in Nigeria do people use Engineer,Architect,Nurse etc as official title. Your VP is Architect Sambo. I can bet my last bottle of Kai kai, that company is a Briefcase Company till they got the contract, with no track record to show.
Re: N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by AloyEmeka8: 2:12am On Dec 04, 2010
mrmayor:

grin grin grin grin grin grin yep, I love this country, see as contractors and government officials tear race, grin grin grin grin Only in Nigeria do people use Engineer,Architect,Nurse etc as official title. Your VP is Architect Sambo. I can bet my last bottle of Kai kai, that company is a Briefcase Company till they got the contract, with no track record to show.

Roflmao grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by Nobody: 2:18am On Dec 04, 2010
but but you were all "mourning" this morning? shocked
Re: N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by DisGuy: 2:46am On Dec 04, 2010
The overhead tank of a N539 million water treatment plant in Lafia, the Nasarawa State capital, collapsed yesterday during a test-run by the contractor. Water had been pumped into the tank for the first time when it keeled over and fell.

Kasse blamed “technical problems” for the tank’s collapse but told newsmen the management of the contractors was yet to report to Lafia to give reasons. He said, “The contractor is not around. We want to meet with the contractor first because the project is still under him, and is only being test run.”

The project was expected to be presented for commissioning soon.

xyz
Re: N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by aljharem(m): 2:49am On Dec 04, 2010
angry angry angry

can i ask what is funny about this

so we northerners do not deserve a good source of water angry
Re: N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by Abagworo(m): 2:51am On Dec 04, 2010
Rotflmfao!

I for like see as the government officials and the pot bellied contractor take run.Nde Osin.
Re: N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by AloyEmeka8: 4:54am On Dec 04, 2010
Don't hire a Nigerian trained engineer. tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by strangerf: 5:00am On Dec 04, 2010
I am sure the project manager is Ibo,
Like Emeageali, like the rest of them
Very incompetent people
This is one big scam from our Ibo brothers!

Death to Ndigbo
Re: N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by Nobody: 5:10am On Dec 04, 2010
strangerf:

I am sure the project manager is Ibo,
Like Emeageali, like the rest of them
Very incompetent people
This is one big scam from our Ibo brothers!

Death to Ndigbo

shocked shocked shocked
Re: N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by strangerf: 5:18am On Dec 04, 2010
Aloy_Emeka:

Don't hire a Nigerian trained engineer.  tongue tongue tongue tongue

I think you wanted to say, dont hire an Engineer trained in any of the southeastern or northern glorified high schools

Instead, hire Yoruba Engineers or Engineers trained in any of the world renowned universities in the SW, we are the best!
Re: N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by AloyEmeka8: 5:34am On Dec 04, 2010
strangerf:

I think you wanted to say, dont hire an Engineer trained in any of the southeastern or northern glorified high schools

Instead, hire Yoruba Engineers or Engineers trained in any of the world renowned universities in the SW, we are the best!

It's not as if you are a common electrician or mason. undecided undecided
Re: N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by strangerf: 5:36am On Dec 04, 2010
I have a degree from Yaba Tech you know
Re: N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by AloyEmeka8: 5:40am On Dec 04, 2010
strangerf:

I have a degree from Yaba Tech you know

The polytechnic that will be phased out in 2012?. You couldn't pass Jamb or what?. wink wink wink
Re: N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by strangerf: 5:46am On Dec 04, 2010
Yaba tech is the oldest higher institution in Nigeria
Better than the glorified high schools in the SE

It has now been upgraded to a university, City University of Lagos. This happened because the powers that be recognised its commitment to excellence
Yaba Tech's graduates are some of the finest in the country, some of the most sought after in the engineering industry in Nigeria.

It is one of the best institutions in Nigeria when it comes to Elect/Elect

I had 265 in Jamb, my second try, so I tansfered to OAU, after my ND program

You have nothing on moi!

Now may I know you?
Re: N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by AloyEmeka8: 5:58am On Dec 04, 2010
strangerf:

Yaba tech is the oldest higher institution in Nigeria
Better than the glorified high schools in the SE

I thought it was in the world and not Nigeria alone or have you forgotten their claim so quick?. Don't let them jack you o for robbing them their world title.
Re: N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by strangerf: 6:03am On Dec 04, 2010
Aloy_Emeka:

I thought it was in the world and not Nigeria alone or have you forgotten their claim so quick?. Don't let them jack you o for robbing them their world title.

That is purely a figment of your imagination
Yaba Tech never claimed to be what they are not.

Yaba Tech is in the SW, we dislike falsehood
We think differently from people like Emeagwali and brothers FLC!
Re: N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by aljharem(m): 6:12am On Dec 04, 2010
strangerf:

That is purely a figment of your imagination
Yaba Tech never claimed to be what they are not.

Yaba Tech is in the SW, we dislike falsehood
We think differently from people like Emeagwali and brothers FLC!

u are a really mumu cow animal

i am really angry at u angry angry

why do u give sw a bad name
Re: N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by aljharem(m): 6:13am On Dec 04, 2010
strangerf= bkbabe99
Re: N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by strangerf: 6:17am On Dec 04, 2010
alj harem:

strangerf= bkbabe99

Why?
Beacuse my English is flawless, unlike your atrociuos writing skill?
Re: N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by aljharem(m): 6:19am On Dec 04, 2010
strangerf:

Why?
Beacuse my English is flawless, unlike your atrociuos writing skill?

bros if u reply to this trend it would make me very angry
Re: N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by strangerf: 6:24am On Dec 04, 2010
alj harem:

bros if u reply to this trend it would make me very angry
Thread not trend
Thread : a series of e-mail messages or messages on a bulletin board about a particular subject

And in that context, the appropriate word is post, not trend
Illiterate, now go back to your village
Re: N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by AloyEmeka8: 12:23pm On Dec 04, 2010
alj harem:

strangerf= bkbabe99

Not even close. I will say StrangerF= Mr Cork
Re: N600m Lafia Water Plant Collapses At Test Run by satani22: 4:00pm On May 24, 2011
;d ;d

(1) (Reply)

The Politics Of Saraki And The Identity Crisis Of Northern Yoruba In Nigeria / Prez Jonathans Group Coordinator Declares For Atiku!: / National Executive Committee Of Pdp Expels Nwodo And Then He "resigns"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.