Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,046 members, 7,946,582 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 09:21 PM

Jambitee: Read This - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Jambitee: Read This (243 Views)

If You Can Read This You're A Genius. / OAU CHM101 Students, Read This! / Before You Buy Your Jamb Form, READ THIS [avoid Mistakes] . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Jambitee: Read This by Nobody: 9:42am On Jan 23, 2020
ORACLE TUTORS.
Uses of English.
Verbs: verbs are words which describes actions, states of being or occurrences.
The reason for the definition is that there are some verbs that do not perform actions. So it will be insensitive to say that all verbs perform actions and to define verbs as action words. You will learn more about this latter in this lesson.
There are types and forms of verbs. I will teach everything accordingly.
Types of Verbs.
Lexical verbs: these are verbs that can stand alone and have complete meanings. Examples: go, sing, dance, come, write, give etc.
I go to school
She dances very well every time.
Lexical verbs, in present tense, can be divided into two, they are singular and plural. Singular verbs always end with letter "S" as in; sings, walks, jumps, goes, knows, strikes etc. While plural verbs do not end with letter "S" as in; sing, walk, jump, go, know, strike etc.
Note: a singular verb must be used after a singular subject ( the doer of an action)
The man comes here always.
Dara sings pleasantly.
The man ( one person) the verb singular (comes)
Note: after a plural subject, a plural verb must be used
The men come here always.
Helping verbs: there are many types of helping verbs but I will explain three, which are; primary helping verb, modal verb, anomalous verb.
1. Primary helping verb: AM, IS, ARE, WAS, WERE etc.
Note: a continuous form of verb (verb + ing) can come after primary helping verb.
I am SINGING in the church.
Note: a past participle form of verb can come after primary helping verb if the sentence is in reported speech.
I am KNOWN by people as a writer.
The assignment is WRITTEN.
2. Modal verb: can, could, may, might, shall, should, will,would, ought to, had to,need, must, dare.
Note: modal verbs attract plural lexical verbs either the subject is singural or plural.
I can FLY (not FLIES) like a butterfly.
I must SEE you today.
3. Anomalous verbs: has,have, had.
These attract past participle forms of verbs.
Note: you have to read present tense, past tense and past participle very well.
Go - went - gone, sing - sang - sung, burst - burst - burst, get - got - got, hang (criminal) - hanged - hanged etc.
I have GONE there.
He has got to the place.
Special notice: all singular verbs end with letter "s" as in; is, has, comes etc.
Even "WAS" that is in past tense form ends with letter "s" thereby making it singular.
HAD is the past tense of HAS and HAVE.

FORMS OF VERBS.
1. stative verbs: they express states of being rather than actions. I explained earlier that there are some verbs that do not perform actions. So, there are ways they - stative verbs- can be used. They relate with thoughts, emotions, feelings, senses etc.
Examples of stative verbs: see, understand, hear, smell, love, hate, seem, listen, recognize, agree, believe, perceive, include, imaging, suppose, know, like,dislike, want, remember, appreciate,mind, depend, consist, comprise, detest etc.
English users are to be careful with stative verbs. Why? If you use a stative verb in (ing) before a primary helping verb, it can be bad English or it may be wrongly used
Buhari is seeing Kudi ( wrongly used) the statement means that Buhari and Kudi are dating each other.
I am loving you ( bad English)
These are correct sentences below;
Buhari sees Kudi
I love you.
They understand you.
Do you listen to me ( not ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME)
2. Dynamic verbs: these are action words. They attract (ing). These verbs describe the action that can start and finish. They demonstrate the action words that can be seen to be demonstrated. When someone RUNS, you can see the action - that is dynamic. But when someone LOVES another person, can the verb be seen to be demonstrated? No! Someone can claim to love someone and still kill that person
3. To - Infinitive verbs: these are the base to form of verbs. To infinitive will surely have TO + a verb in base form.
To go, to sit, to jump, to come etc.
PATTERNS OF VERBS.
1. Verbs followed by ING.
The are the lexical verbs that attracts other lexical verbs that end with ING. Examples: stop, start, love, like, hate, enjoy, finish, mind, help, avoid, deny, admit etc.
I can't stop LOVING you.
He starts BEHAVING like an animal.
Do you mind EATING any food?
I enjoy DRINKING alcohol a lot.
2. Verbs followed by TO - infinitive: grow, afford, love, start, like, hate,want, prefer, eat, dance, look, stand, come, go, remember, agree, plan, decide etc.
So, after any of the verbs, a verb that has TO + the base form of the verb should follow.
I want TO GO.
He swims TO IMPRESS people.
3. Verbs followed by ING and TO - INFINITIVE.
examples: love, hate, help, start, prefer, etc. I believe you should have understood this.
TERM VERBS
I saw him crossing the road/ I saw him cross the road, which one is correct?
I watched him jumping over the fence, I watched him jump over the fence, which one is also correct?
Both sentences in each example is correct - the sentences are good English.
However, there is little difference in the first two examples and the second. How? Why?
There are actions that are completed and actions that are not completed.
" I watched him crossing the road" this means that you look at him very well as he crosses the road ( completed)
"I watched him cross the road" this means that you see him but you do not see him cross the road completely. Perhaps when he starts crossing, you look away or you leave. ( uncompleted)
However, many scholars justify this with another method. They say that some actions are quick and some are long - that means some actions take long time before they can be completed.
I saw him come ( short time)
I saw him coming ( long time)
So, as a student, when you see such question, make sure you ask yourself that is the action demonstrated for short or long time.
Thank you!