Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,277 members, 7,943,598 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 07:14 PM

Parboiling Your Rice: Does It Reduce Starch Or Nutrient Content? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Parboiling Your Rice: Does It Reduce Starch Or Nutrient Content? (2327 Views)

What Nutrient Does Cooked Groundnut Give To The Body / Do You Know A Fruit Commonly Called 'ebelebor'? What About Its Nutrient & Uses? / Am I Missing Any Impotant Nutrient By Not Eating Snail(how Nutritious Is Snail?) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Parboiling Your Rice: Does It Reduce Starch Or Nutrient Content? by Holla2: 8:50am On Dec 14, 2010
I had this little argument with my visiting niece this morning: to parboil rice or not.
She says rice (not ofada grin) is polished with nutrients and that parboiling washes  the nutrient coatings away.
I insist that the starchy content of rice in Nigeria is generally high (the water turns milky even while you wash) and that parboiling helps reduce the excess starch.
What do you think?
Re: Parboiling Your Rice: Does It Reduce Starch Or Nutrient Content? by Nobody: 8:57am On Dec 14, 2010
i do not think the starch is excessive to begin with. and parboiling definitely robs it of a lot of good stuff.
Try eating un-parboiled rice for a week(i.e. whenever rice comes on the menu smiley)
then eat parboiled rice the following week.
you'll discover that in comparison, not only is the parboiled one very bland to the taste, but it also gives you noticeably less energy,

ergo

(1) (Reply)

8 Foods That Makes You Smell Bad / Simple, classy cakes...... / Many Nigerians Are Sick Because Of The Calories In Eba, Fufu, Amala, Poundo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.