Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,234 members, 7,943,433 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 03:14 PM

Comrade Sammy George And The IYC PRESIDENCY 2020 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Comrade Sammy George And The IYC PRESIDENCY 2020 (182 Views)

The (iyc) Abuja Cum Northern Nigeria Chapter Frowns At Faceless Group Criticism / Fayose: Bode George And Makinde Want To Kill Me Like Bola Ige / The War For Igbo Presidency 2020| Tunde Vs Nwobodo,opc,ipob With Over 300comment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Comrade Sammy George And The IYC PRESIDENCY 2020 by GYLIN: 1:35pm On Feb 17, 2020
The 1 Thing I will take very Critically Important is Building Trust for Success.

Imagine, being in a large ballroom with nearly 5,000 leaders from different countries representing different sectors. You’re in attendance to discuss the most important leadership issues of the day, and 96% of the attendees agree that one specific topic needs to be a high priority in relation to all their other priorities. You would guess the vast majority of leaders would have a plan in place to deal with such a widely accepted, high-priority business issue, right?

Wrong.

The high priority business issue that is critically important for success? Building and maintaining stakeholder trust.

The number of leaders who have a defined plan to address this issue? Just 34%, and Comrade Sammy George is among this percentage.

Building trust starts with your most important followers, stakeholders: workforce. If your workforce trust you and the organization, they are much more likely to go above and beyond to do good work, take risks that fuel innovation, and deliver excellent service to colleagues and citizens.

But as Global Youth Leadership Initiative survey reports, even though nearly all leaders say building and maintaining trust is important, it’s hard work to build trust with stakeholders. In fact, survey respondents said it’s easier to build trust with vendors and suppliers than it is with the workforce. No wonder only a third of leaders have a defined plan for building and maintaining trust in their organization.

Building trust with the people isn’t easy because it never stops. It’s not like other business strategies that have a beginning, middle, and end. You don’t conduct a trust initiative by holding a few team-building events, hanging up motivational posters around the office, giving out t-shirts with pithy hashtag statements on them, and then consider the task done. Building and sustaining trust is part of your leadership and organizational ethos. It’s a way of being, not just doing.

So how can you get started in creating a high-trust culture?
Comrade Sammy George deliver his four key steps:

1. Start with ME. The most important and impactful thing I will do to build trust is to be trustworthy. Leaders are always being watched, and my behavior sets the standard for what is and isn’t acceptable in the workplace. It’s the little things that count when it comes to building trust, and those little things are my behaviors. Do I walk the talk? Do I use behaviors that build or erode trust? Building trust is a skill I have learn and develop, it’s not something that just happens automatically.

2. Create a Safe Environment. An environment of psychological safety is the fertile soil that allows the seeds of trust to grow and flourish. Psychological safety describes an individual’s perceptions about the consequences of taking interpersonal risks in his/her work environment. It consists of taken-for-granted beliefs about how others will respond when one puts oneself on the line, such as asking a question, seeking feedback, reporting a mistake, or proposing a new idea. My Leadership will foster safety by encouraging and rewarding the people who demonstrate vulnerability.

3. Connect. In my experience, a primary cause of low trust between workforce and their leaders or organization is a lack of personal connection. Connecting with workforce involves building rapport, communicating, and acting with their best interests in mind. People trust those they know and like, and unfortunately, many leaders don’t take the time to foster personal relationships. Granted, in large organizations it’s not possible for senior leaders to have a personal relationship with every employee. But my leadership will be more transparent in sharing information about themselves and the organization, interacting with the workforce in town hall meetings or events, taking time to attend smaller department or group meetings, and generally making themselves more available and known to team members.

4. Foster Collaboration, not Competition. Research has shown that collaboration has more positive effects on team and organizational outcomes than competition. Unhealthy competition creates a scarcity mentality and perceptions of mistrust among team members, whereas collaboration encourages people to develop trust and reliance on each other to accomplish goals as a collective unit. At IYC Eastern Region, we have a saying that defines our philosophy about the power of collaboration in teams: No one of us is as smart as all of us.

Nearly every leader agrees that building and maintaining employee trust is a critical priority for organizational success, yet few actually have a plan to make it a reality. Building trust is not an easy-peasy, one-time effort. It takes constant effort and vigilance, however, the results are worth it because it’s the foundation of your personal leadership and organizational success.

The Ijaw Youth Council Worldwide, You will have his Trust.
It is COMRADE SAMMY GEORGE
for IYC President 2020.

(1) (Reply)

Dtsg To Partner Ngos To Reorientate Youth On Positive Mind Set / Reviewing Efforts Of State And Non-state Actors In The Fight Against Corruption / Exposed: 11,000 Rivers Civil Servants Forge Their Ages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.