Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,507 members, 7,908,406 topics. Date: Friday, 02 August 2024 at 05:19 AM

Soyinka, Abdulsalami Abubakar To Monitor Supreme Court Imo Review - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka, Abdulsalami Abubakar To Monitor Supreme Court Imo Review (35852 Views)

Atiku Pays Homage To IBB And Abdulsalami Abubakar / Atiku Abubakar To Name Wike As Running Mate - Tribune / Buhari, Jonathan, Shonekan, Obasanjo, Abdulsalami Abubakar Meet In Aso Rock (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Re: Soyinka, Abdulsalami Abubakar To Monitor Supreme Court Imo Review by Reptyle(m): 11:43am On Feb 19, 2020
Myself2:

To err is human, but to admit to an error is divine ........

Nothing wrong if the supreme court justices admit they mada a mistake and reverse themselves

I agree with you.

But elsewhere, judicial reviews are done to correct dangerous precedents with the benefit of hindsight or against current realities, and not set them.

Also judicial reviews are usually undertaken by neutral parties after sometime has passed so as not to create a disruption of order but set a new precedent.

The current supreme court has only nine active judges out of it's full complement of 14. For a case of these kind, you must have a panel of atleast seven at every given time.

What that means is that you are most likely going to have the same judges, bar one or two, sitting to review their own judgements that were delivered only a few weeks ago? Isn't that an aberration?

I read somewhere that the PDP has written to the CJN asking that five out of the seven judges that presided over the Imo case, should recuse themselves from this review. If that happens, it means only four judges will be available for the review. That is less than the seven required to form a quorum. So what's the point?

So while I agree that judicial reviews are normal and necessary sometimes, we should not allow the procedure to be so whimsical abused by our selfish politicians.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Former Bauchi Governors To Refund One Trillion Naira To Bauchi Gov't Committee / Many Soldiers Killed, Dozens Injured As Insurgents Invade Base In Borno / COVID-19: Lagos State Approves ₦5,000 Cash Transfer To Residents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.