Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,431 members, 7,964,762 topics. Date: Wednesday, 02 October 2024 at 07:59 PM

Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG (26817 Views)

Citizens Who Paid Bribe By Zone In Nigeria, 2023 - StatiSense / Samuel Ohiri: Police Played No Role In My Release, I Paid Ransom - Imo Monarch / Buhari Paid Ransom To Kidnappers - Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by Matinho: 11:32am On Feb 20, 2020
Yes o. Dem Dey give bounty for every dead cobra,guy men come Dey breed am for house.Unfortunately, in a desire to do good in a poor part of the world, a situation worse than when it began is usually created.
donbachi:
People go dey stage their own kidnapping everyday....na so 4 india,govt paid people to kill a specie of deadly snake...when they saw how they were making.they started rearing the snake at home and when the govt discovered it...dat payment thing ended..na so snake take full india today.
Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by NinaArsenal(f): 11:34am On Feb 20, 2020
That means my parents can demand for the 500 thousand naira they paid for my release when I was kidnapped last year November by armed Fulani herdsmen along Abuja Kaduna express road..
How can we process it oo
Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by Kingstanding: 11:36am On Feb 20, 2020
helinues:
And na Fg kidnapped them?

2023 presidency ambition Don dey make Mr Falana miss yarn these days
. You're among of this country problem. Let someone kidnapped in UK or USA and see what their government will do. They don't joke with the lives of their citizens.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by denko(m): 11:36am On Feb 20, 2020
I weep for my country seeing these comments. So demanding for citizens right is now a rocket science.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by Dayodragon: 11:36am On Feb 20, 2020
If this will be passed to Bill, security will be serious in Nigeria
Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by Amanda4life: 11:38am On Feb 20, 2020
Good music to my soul.

I wish other countries can can support us
Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by DavidEsq(m): 11:38am On Feb 20, 2020
When has security become a justiceable right or duty?
Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by Jabioro: 11:39am On Feb 20, 2020
I just wanted ro walk away..
Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by DavidEsq(m): 11:40am On Feb 20, 2020
Kingstanding:
. You're among of this country problem. Let someone kidnapped in UK or USA and see what their government will do. They don't joke with the lives of their citizens.
Give me an example of what Falana is saying in a foreign land. Olodo somebody

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by Amanda4life: 11:40am On Feb 20, 2020
helinues:
And na Fg kidnapped them?

2023 presidency ambition Don dey make Mr Falana miss yarn these days

May you be kidnapped , so you can feel the pain
Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by yemiyemi: 11:42am On Feb 20, 2020
hisexcellency34:
Lagos lawyer, Femi Falana, SAN, Wednesday, called on Nigerians paying a ransom to secure freedom for their abducted loved ones to feel free to approach the courts to compel the federal government to refund same because, in his words, “the responsibility for protecting lives and properties lies squarely with the government.”

Falana disclosed this yesterday at the 18th Anti-Corruption Situation Room, ACSR, organized by the HEDA Resource Centre in partnership with the McArthur Foundation.

The senior advocate who was the keynote speaker at the event also flayed anti-graft agencies in the land for what he called the selective prosecution of corrupt cases; a development he stressed, makes winning the fight against corruption difficult.

Falana said: “If a family pays a ransom to secure freedom of their abducted ones; they should approach the courts and demand a refund of the amount paid because the primary responsibility of government is to secure the people.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/02/nigerians-free-to-sue-fg-for-refund-of-ransom-paid-to-kidnappers-%e2%80%95-falana/

Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by AfroKnight: 11:42am On Feb 20, 2020
See young people mocking this man.

It’s the same way he was mocked when he challenged the illegal permit for protest that the police demanded from protesters.

When he won the case, you guys suddenly knew your rights.
There are lacunae in our laws and a lawyer like Falana helps to clarify grey areas by challenging the status quo.

One day, this man will retire and then you all will look for lawyers to defend your basic rights.

1 Like

Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by TOPCRUISE(m): 11:43am On Feb 20, 2020
"I pledge to Nigeria my country.
To be faithful, loyal and honest.
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity and uphold her honour and glory
So help me God."

If you make this pledge, you have the right to sue the federal government if you pay ransom to kidnappers to secure your freedom or the freedom of your loved ones.
Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by Amanda4life: 11:44am On Feb 20, 2020
infogenius:
Storytellers.
These guys don see Nigerians finish.

A govt that can't protect it's citizens except for cows
A govt that can only impoverish
Is it the Govt that will pay refunds for ransoms?

Someone will just wake up in the morning and start talking trash thinking he is talking logic!

They can be taken to court.

Please who is authorized to protect lives and properties

Government has all the equipment to protect our lives.

Or would they hand over the weapons to individuals to protect ourselves.

USA doesn't joke with its citizens both home and abroad.

Our leaders don't care about our lives.

Please people should support this move
Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by otino(m): 11:44am On Feb 20, 2020
It's logical, but not in Nigeria
Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by Dara30(f): 11:46am On Feb 20, 2020
That means everyone will claim the ransom
Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by Amanda4life: 11:47am On Feb 20, 2020
Even in the USA where people has the right to carry arms, the government still doesn't joke with the life of its citizen

If the government doesn't want to be paying the Ransom, they should provide good security or else give us arms and see if I will not defend my self very very well

100% better than them
Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by Perfecttouchade: 11:48am On Feb 20, 2020
Will the government pay? If only u want to get kidnapped again then u go ask FG for return of money paid to kidnappers..make we arrange u quality aluminium
Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by vaxx1: 11:50am On Feb 20, 2020
hisexcellency34:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/02/nigerians-free-to-sue-fg-for-refund-of-ransom-paid-to-kidnappers-%e2%80%95-falana/

Absolutely , he is very right and this shows Nigeria still have the brain. A Nigerian tax paying citizens that is kidnapped and secured his /her own own freedom on her own can demand refund back from the federal goverment and state in which it happens. the goverment had failed to honour their contract. "" protection of lives and property""
Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by Amanda4life: 11:52am On Feb 20, 2020
They protect themselves very very well but leave the citizens with Nigerian police they don't really take care of
Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by voltron14: 11:54am On Feb 20, 2020
FarahAideed:
If we are as a people payment of ransom should be banned with hefty penalty for both payer and reciever

Gradually coming out of the woodwork.

I thought you had left Nairaland for good?

grin
Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by adenigga(m): 11:55am On Feb 20, 2020
qualityovenbake:
For this obodo Nigeria ke! The person wey approach court for refund go old there.

Na adjournment den go take kill am. Lol!!!
Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by nedekid: 12:02pm On Feb 20, 2020
tsdarkside:
silly idea....

nigerians will only make a business out of it....

nigerian goverment seem to dont understand how nigerians are....
So let them make business out of it until gov sits up.
Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by useurkidney3121: 12:05pm On Feb 20, 2020
BlackfireX:
What is this charge and bail lawyer yapping....

Ogun ni o pa o. If ur father has worked so hard as much as Falana in his entire life, ur life would have been better than this
Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by captainamiedi1: 12:09pm On Feb 20, 2020
You are free to approach court but will federal govt pay?? FG under buhari is bigger than the law so better stay your house and plan on recovering
Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by udemzyudex(m): 12:10pm On Feb 20, 2020
truthfulparrot:
Who will the government approach for the
refund of millions of dollars allegedly paid by government to release those kidnapped by bandits and terrorists?
Things are so bad that a state governor entered the jungle to negotiate with bandits. If care is not taken, we will start paying taxes to bandits to live in peace.
The security situation in Nigeria is getting worst everyday and the President who happened to be an Ex General is confused.! We are in trouble.

Your thinking is low,are you asking us who the government will meet for a refund?

Did you even read the post?

1 Like

Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by Excellent7(m): 12:18pm On Feb 20, 2020
DavidEsq:
When has security become a justiceable right or duty?

Security is the most important right of citizens.
The practice in civilized societies is not much different from what Falana is talking about.
Security and Justice are among the important bedrocks of modern society. Without it there is anarchy.
Do you know that in some places if the road is bad and you report to the authorities and the do not respond fast, and your car suffers damage due to the bad road, you can repair your car and forward receipts to them and get refunded?
I am aware of a case some guys died due to government negligence. Their cars fell into a ravine in a road that should have been blocked, and no warning signs erected. The government paid indemnity to families of victims.
I once saw a road inside a metropolis that looked better tham a lot of our newly built "express roads" being scrapped and I asked a citizen why the road that was still good was been scrapped. The reply was epic; "the road had expired and had to be scrapped and rebuilt".
You do not really appreciate how bad things are in Nigeria until you experience other places.
Little wonder, I get annoyed when people praise the government for building roads!

1 Like

Re: Falana: Kidnapped Nigerians Who Paid Ransom Can Demand Refund From FG by chrisxxx(m): 12:23pm On Feb 20, 2020
Go to FG with your ransom receipt.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

10TH NASS: Tinubu Moves Against Double Nominations On Inauguration Day / Come Out Openly To Lead The Protest - Bayo Onanuga Tells Peter Obi / Labour Calls Off Strike!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.