Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,726 members, 7,875,814 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 10:12 PM

Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell (3566 Views)

How Can I Reject This Money From My Aunt / My Aunt's Husband Is A Monitoring Demon. / Living With My Aunt Who Is A Pastor's Wife Is Hell. Should I Run Away? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by Tripitaka: 1:27pm On Mar 13, 2020
Yesterday I read a post on FP about a girl who went to live with the aunt because things were difficult at home.
https://www.nairaland.com/5730436/living-aunt-pastors-wife-hell

It was a very interesting thread and while perusing the thread and seeing all the people especially women sympathizing with the lady, I couldn't help but keep wondering if all the tales we read on the internet about women and madams meting out inhumane treatments to their househelps were all fictitious or if these women and their accomplices are not on nairaland.

On the post in question, the girl made it clear that when she came in, the whole house was a mess and her aunt asked her to clean to which she vehemently refused, in her own words " I told her I can't do them". Now I ask, if that OP had gone to visit her grandparents and she was told to clean the house, would she have declined? If she met her own father's house a mess, would she decline cleaning It? I doubt. The fact that the aunt has a grownup daughter is inconsequential here after all the OP wasn't the one cleaning the house prior to her visit. What if the OP was not asked to clean the house, same house that will shelter her for a long time, would it not be a wise move to clean the house without being told? Again, the fact that she just came, is inconsequential.

She probably went there with the mindset of "I know I'll be maltreated, but I won't tolerate shìt, so I have to show them straightaway that I'm no pushover".

We are also ignoring the little manner of manner of approach and first impressions. You could ruin a beautiful prospect from the beginning. It would have been a masterstroke for the OP to clean that house out of her own volition or do it humbly when she was told or simply asked for the cleaning to be deferred till the next day. This singular act would have set the pace for a more conducive stay, but no she already had the mindset that she would not get "mummy and daddy treatment". In all honesty, I thought the OP to be rude and entitled. I could be wrong, but that's what I thought.

Now, my mom is a teacher, the old school type with over 25yrs experience and it would be an understatement to call her strict. My mom could starve you for a whole day if you threw away food, she does not tolerate the slightest of nonsenses. Growing up, we had househelps and my mom treated them same way. On the outside, you would think she handles them differently, but no. At a point, my dad stopped bringing maids, as he said it's better for my mom to tackle us in a particular way than another person's child.

On the internet, we all claim to be humanitarians, human rights activists, crime fighters, child right activists and all that, but most importantly, we are all human being open to all sorts of vices and tendencies. I make bold to say that no one would treat their help same way they treat their own children. It doesn't mean they are mistreating the help, it just means that there are certain privileges open to their kids which the help may not enjoy. Your kids attend a 200k per term school, the help attends a 100k per term school. All are good schools, but ...

I had a neighbour who was childless for 11 yrs, eventually they had to adopt a 2yr old child. The child was their crown, the wife could take a bullet for her. After some years, they had their own child. That moment, the wife remembered that the other kid was adopted. Then everything changed.

My point, do not go to someone's house and expect to be treated like their own child or family. Why? Because you're not their child or family. There are so many privileges you may not enjoy. It is what it is. This fact means that you have to put in the extra yards and also understand that the children of your host may get away with certain things, but you can't.

There is no justification for mistreating someone, absolutely none, so anyone who wants to argue must stay on course.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by YOUNGELDER1(m): 1:36pm On Mar 13, 2020
Well said ..

1 Like

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by sndk1(m): 1:43pm On Mar 13, 2020
This generation is heading to doom. People now support evil all in the name of false claim of wokeness and to appeal to the larger population online. The worst thing is that foolish people who supported the ill-manner of the girl were calling the wise ones foolish in that thread. The way majority supported the girl and her bad attitude has made me lost respect i used to have for most members of this forum. These same women who will not tolerate disrespect from their relations and servants are the ones who supported the girl the most. SMH.

It's her duty to make first impression to her host not the other way round. Besides, she was obviously aware that her father and the host had discussed her stay long before she went there, so it cannot be said that she was a visiting guest.

More so, she probably arrived in the morning or afternoon hour and was asked to clean the kitchen in the evening. It's not even as if she probably trekked from Sokoto to Lagos, so the excuse that the host was wrong on sending her on an errand on the same day does not make sense.

Most people are using the bad experience they had elsewhere to judge this particular case, which is a bad thing to do. Stereotyping host relatives as evil is not good.

People should stop expecting royal treatment after exhibiting commoners' behavior.

9 Likes

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by PrimadonnaO(f): 1:54pm On Mar 13, 2020
Kindly clarify your main points @OP, because it would seem you're speaking from both sides of your mouth.

Did you say your mum mistreated her maids, too?

The girl in the initial story, yes she obviously lacked tact for refusing to clean the house when she was asked. But if we have to be objective here, would it have been so hard for them to treat her like a guest on the first day? The aunt simply isn't a good person. The girl in the story was childish and entitled, but she'd have learnt. If her refusal to clean on day one was what set the tone for her maltreatment, then her aunt who's a pastor's wife is such an unforgiving person.

The children of the house will always have more privileges than the non-biological children, but it doesn't have to spell ill treatment for those kids.

Growing up, my cousins lived with us. The last of them moved out when I was 13... They are all married or abroad right now. My oldest bro was 18. So, you see, they lived us, with my mum raising them for nearly 18 years. Some were brought in as infants. They were all way older than even my eldest sibling. My mum having her own children changed nothing. Yes, they did more chores (probably because they were older), but we did chores, too. They sent us on errands without restraints. These cousins could beat us up or punish us when we did wrong stuff and we dared not report to my mum, because it would make no difference. Instead, she'll add to the beating. My cousins were that free. Two of my male cousins were nicknamed "bulldozers" because they could eat up a whole pot of food in two seconds. Our food! Free access to the kitchen. To eat to their very fill. Their visitors were free to visit. The could take us out on special occasions without thinking twice about it.

So yes, even if kids aren't your biological children, an inability to love them and treat them with kindness and consideration is wickedness. It's not a natural phenomenon that should be sucked up.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by Asquare84(m): 2:03pm On Mar 13, 2020
i have once stayed with my aunt in Abuja, i will be the one to wash cars, clean the house and weed grasses, and fetch water. still yet my aunt will showed me how evil human being can be once you step your feet in their house ( she is my mother your sister), she will insult me to my root and till date some of those insult open my eyes to a lot things about my maternal people, but yet her husband that is not even related to me will always take me like his own blood. woman are wicked and evil

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by SpyAC(m): 2:37pm On Mar 13, 2020
Hppy to hear all this from you all, wished the kind of treatment that my uncles wife (ie my mothers eldest brothers wife) gave me could be giving to u all, but she tut she was maltreating me, but I took it as part of training, now am surviving bcs of all this ill treatment.. But truths is, no woman born of woman will ever take/treat u better than ur biological mother. So pray hard for ur parent. I undergo all the hell in her hand bcs I lost my parents earlier in life, but thank God today that am a full grown man today

1 Like

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by Tripitaka: 3:44pm On Mar 13, 2020
PrimadonnaO:
Kindly clarify your main points @OP, because it would seem you're speaking from both sides of your mouth.

Did you say your mum mistreated her maids, too?
It will be nice if we stay on course. That said, I my point was that my mom meted out punishments to helps same way she did to us her kids. She never went easy on us. But for a stranger who doesn't know how my household worked, they would think my mom was strict on the help, simply because she isn't her own child. I thought this was clear in my OP.

The girl in the initial story, yes she obviously lacked tact for refusing to clean the house when she was asked. But if we have to be objective here, would it have been so hard for them to treat her like a guest on the first day?
Except that she isnt a guest, she is family. When I was younger, my mom made it a rule thatdirty plates don't stay in the sink overnight. It doesn't matter if you've been lifting elephants all day. The plates in the sink must be washed.
Also, why should they treat her in some special way on her "first day"? So that her narrative will be "when I came newly, they were so nice to me, all of a sudden they changed". No?

If her refusal to clean on day one was what set the tone for her maltreatment, then her aunt who's a pastor's wife is such an unforgiving person
First impression is everything, even in the workplace and can set the tone for a relationship.

The children of the house will always have more privileges than the non-biological children, but it doesn't have to spell ill treatment for those kids

At least, we agree on this

So yes, even if kids aren't your biological children, an inability to love them and treat them with kindness and consideration is wickedness. It's not a natural phenomenon that should be sucked up.

I'd like to think you construed my OP perfectly. Cheers

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by franchasng: 3:55pm On Mar 13, 2020
Cc: Tripitaka

First you are right, the poster of that first thread is a stubborn girl, maybe due to one-sided parenting for blatantly refusing to do the first task given to her by her host Aunt. I agree with that.

But then, that cannot take away the fact that the Aunt is not a good person, just like majority of married Nigerian women when it comes to maltreating maids, helps, visiting in-laws, etc.

Every Nigerian child have a sad tale to tell about one wicked Aunt or sister-in-law who maltreated him or her when he visited for a holiday or went to live with her, its a common story in Nigeria. And this is one reason its now difficult to get a house help or maid or relatives to come live with you, because every Nigerian parent even though they are poor and suffering prefer to live with their kids in hunger than send him to one rich relative's house only for the wife or woman to turn their poor child to a house slave angry

Nigerian women love maltreating and oppressing those they feel they are financially or economically better than.

Men hardly maltreat maids, house helps, their drivers, etc. Even in Nigerian workplaces, its always the female bosses that are the baddest and unapproachable.

Take it or leave it, our black sisters have so many issues. I don't know why most married women don't like peaceful environment where everybody is happy and smiling; if they are not fighting their hubby, they are hating one in-law, or snubbing some neighbors or hating one of their husband's friends or maltreating their house helps or visiting in-laws and poor visitors, its a common thing in every Nigerian home cry

That is why internet is good to expose these issues, Nigerian ladies make una try to change small, stop making life difficult for people around you. Treat your maids and in-laws and poor people around like humans. You donate food to motherless babies homes, you dash beggars money but you come back home to starve your maid and give her house chores that 10 persons cannot finish in one week, and you think you are a righteous woman that will make heaven, kontinu ooo

Their husbands know but most times men are helpless because women can be toxic if you don't handle them with caution.

So I still stand my ground that majority of Nigerian women are bad towards maids, house helps, domestic staffs, in-laws and those below them economically and financially. There is nothing to argue about that.

Only very few married ladies are exception and if you go figure out, such ladies probably grew up in midst of guys or their husband have been fighting them about the issue.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by sisisioge: 4:06pm On Mar 13, 2020
Hmmmm...OP had some good points here and there but majority were words in the dark...you never had such experience, simple. You know what they say about being more knowledgeable about the comforts of shoes if well tried? Yeah...

The aunty had kids in the house but still managed to have a maggot filled kitchen, yet she took it upon herself to teach the new entrant how to clean...think about her "wokeness"! That's the basis of everything else, why didnt she teach her own kids this before the new girl arrived? By the way, new girl isn't a maid, she is her niece. And her reaction is very understandable albeit rude.

Anyways, I'm not going to dwell on the girl's rudeness or her expectations. All I know is I grew up in a family that could hold their own, had to spent 90 specifically days with an aunt so as to concentrate on passing an exam, aunty turned me and my sister to maids while having her own kids in the house....simple. Her kids stopped sweeping, mopping the floor, cooking, laying her beds and washing her cloths...those became our chores. Remember we were cousins of those kids in the same age group, imagine how unfairly treated we must have felt we were sweating it out while they watched TV! Please!

On a bright note, we learnt a lot from that encounter...we learnt the importance of treating others fairly, we learnt not to dwell on unnecessary extended family relationships, we learnt to do those chores better and learnt that Christianity is in fact a personal relationship with God, not a clearance for participants good behaviour. Our own aunty too was an elder in the church grin.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by Tripitaka: 4:11pm On Mar 13, 2020
franchasng:
Cc: Tripitaka

First you are right, the poster of that first thread is a stubborn girl, maybe due to one-sided parenting for blatantly refusing to do the first task given to her by her host Aunt. I agree with that.

But then, that cannot take away the fact that the Aunt is not a good person, just like majority of married Nigerian women when it comes to maltreating maids, helps, visiting in-laws, etc.

So I still stand my ground that majority of Nigerian women are bad towards maids, house helps, domestic staffs, in-laws and those below them economically and financially. There is nothing to argue about that.

Only very few married ladies are exception and if you go figure out, such ladies probably grew up in midst of guys or their husband have been fighting them about the issue.

Maybe, the aunt is a mischievous person, we do not know as there is no evidence pointing to that.

For Nigerian women being bad, I honestly do not know but I was surprised that a host of females here were sympathizing with the girl. But You know that there is always a difference between our online and offline persona.

2 Likes

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by franchasng: 4:23pm On Mar 13, 2020
Tripitaka:

Maybe, the aunt is a mischievous person, we do not know as there is no evidence pointing to that.

For Nigerian women being bad, I honestly do not know but I was surprised that a host of females here were sympathizing with the girl. But You know that there is always a difference between our online and offline persona.
I didn't say Nigerian women are bad, pls quote me correctly.

I said majority of Nigerian married ladies or women maltreat their maids, house helps, visiting in-laws, and poor people. They should improve, we are not asking for too much, just for them to live in peace with all and treat others like humans, that's all.

Someone must not be your child or sibling or husband or relative before you treat them right.

2 Likes

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by Tripitaka: 4:24pm On Mar 13, 2020
Hmmmm...OP had some good points here and there but majority were words in the dark...you never had such experience, simple. You know what they say about being more knowledgeable about the comforts of shoes if well tried?

Oge, you do not know my story. I'm actually speaking from a place of personal first hand experience. I too lived with an aunt and if i told you tge number of years, your mind will be boggled. Yes. But she was a typical Nigerian mother who would never spare the rod.

The aunty had kids in the house but still managed to have a maggot filled kitchen, yet she took it upon herself to teach the new entrant how to clean. That's the basis of everything else, why didnt she teach her own kids this before the new girl arrived?

I'm sure you know that the OP was being hyperbolic when she talked about the maggots perhaps to add credibility to the story. Heck, That's the family kitchen. They certainly don't cook in a kitchen filled with maggots.

I maintain that no woman will treat a help exactly same way they treat their own kids. This may not amount to maltreatment, but their is always a difference.

1 Like

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by sndk1(m): 4:28pm On Mar 13, 2020
sisisioge:
Hmmmm...OP had some good points here and there but majority were words in the dark...you never had such experience, simple. You know what they say about being more knowledgeable about the comforts of shoes if well tried? Yeah...

The aunty had kids in the house but still managed to have a maggot filled kitchen, yet she took it upon herself to teach the new entrant how to clean...think about her "wokeness"! That's the basis of everything else, why didnt she teach her own kids this before the new girl arrived? By the way, new girl isn't a maid, she is her niece. And her reaction is very understandable albeit rude.

Anyways, I'm not going to dwell on the girl's rudeness or her expectations. All I know is I grew up in a family that could hold their own, had to spent 90 specifically days with an aunt so as to concentrate on passing an exam, aunty turned me and my sister to maids while having her own kids in the house....simple. Her kids stopped sweeping, mopping the floor, cooking, laying her beds and washing her cloths...those became our chores. Remember we were cousins of those kids in the same age group, imagine how unfairly treated we must have felt we were sweating it out while they watched TV! Please!

On a bright note, we learnt a lot from that encounter...we learnt the importance of treating others fairly, we learnt not to dwell on unnecessary extended family relationships, we learnt to do those chores better and learnt that Christianity is in fact a personal relationship with God, not a clearance for participants good behaviour. Our own aunty too was an elder in the church grin.

Stop stereotyping host relatives as evil, it is not good, whatever firsthand experience you had elsewhere notwithstanding. In fact, you probably acted like the girl, which is reason why your own host returned your bad manner in multiple folds. And, the fact that you or anyone will believe the "maggot filled kitchen" statement and other subsequent nonsense allegations from a girl who blatantly refused to obey first simple instruction from her host showed that you are not a wise person. The host did not order her to go and kill anyone, she's just a mannerless, entitled and lazy girl.

About the host's children, probably, they had more busy stressful day on the said day than the girl, so questioning why the auntie chose not to send her children on the errand does not make sense.

On a general note, first impression, if there's a need for it, on a situation like that is incumbent on someone in the girl's position not her host.

People should stop expecting royal treatment after exhibiting commoners' behavior.

5 Likes

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by franchasng: 4:34pm On Mar 13, 2020
sisisioge:

I said it here that every Nigerian adult have a dark tale story to tell about one or two wicked Aunt or sister-in-law that treated them like slave when they went for holiday or to live with them, that's if we can be honest to ourselves.

I myself being the last of the family decided to spend my after waec holiday in an elder brother's house in another city, this decision turned out horrible for me.

This lady (my own brothers wife oh) who even knew I didn't came to live with them or came from poverty, and even knowing how precious I was to my mother and how I was pampered at home like an egg decided to turn me, fragile me oh to a camel now working round the clock without eating grin grin

Honestly married Nigerian ladies are wicked I swear lolz cheesy

Sometimes I keep wondering if some evil spirit do jump in and possess Nigerian ladies once they marry, especially when they marry a financially stable man, maybe oh cos the same ladies commenting and reading these threads will still log out to start maltreating their house maids, helps, in-laws and poor visitors to their homes for no justifiable reason. Abeg ladies make una change...we the men making the money aren't complaining of people finishing the money, watching people feed from our pocket gives us joy and energy to work harder, stop maltreating poor people around you, stop maltreating your domestic workers and visiting in-laws, these things have negative impact on your husband's income and life span cos as you maltreat these poor kids and poor people, they cry silently and curse you/your family which can bring ill fortune your way by bringing hard luck to your hubby or even causing strange deaths, be careful Nigerian ladies, be careful!! Treat your maids, in-laws and poor people with love, they are humans like your children!!

I will go out to buy one thing or the other like 100 times in a day, even when we lived in a duplex in a very serene estate oh.

What gave me some succour then was that I was not alone lol

From the frequent errands she sends me everyday, I got to meet and knew other depressed, dejected and helpless teenagers like me that also came for holiday in either their brother's house or uncle's house or came mainly as house maids, and we will be sharing and discussing our miseries, and when I listen to some other's story, it seemed like mine was a bit better even though I was dying already grin

There was no phone then, only land lines and my family house had none where I could call home to tell my mom to come and rescue me before she meets my corpse cheesy

I begged to go back to my parents, but I spent a whole 9 months in that house of horror, but it was like eternity....despite the beautiful house and cars, I felt like I was in hell fire cry

All these experiences and more made me to promise myself never to watch anybody around me maltreat a maid or house help or any less privilege person before my own eyes, and reason I told my wife she must not have any maid and if she ever does in future for any reason, she must be ready to treat them like our own kids if not, I will send them back to their parents cos I can't condone it

4 Likes

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by grafixdon: 4:40pm On Mar 13, 2020
Op, well said.

That girl is very stubborn, your aunty asked you to clean the house, you have the gut to say no. Someone who is going to feed you, clothe you and provide most of your needs.

I'll never take any relatives who doesn't assist or pay me back in anyway, you can't be eating my foods without being useful to me.

2 Likes

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by Whyzaid(f): 4:46pm On Mar 13, 2020
If I should tell you what I faced in my papa house with my very own mum, you may not believe it. If I had heard about nairaland then, maybe I would have created a lot of thread seeking for advice on how to cope with my mum. But today, we are friends. The lady should just focus on the good side of that madam and continue with her life

2 Likes

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by worworbabe: 5:19pm On Mar 13, 2020
She kept a messy house, waiting for the girl to come and clean up even though she has her own daughters.

The kind of abuse some of you went through has beclouded your reasoning.

So you think that's ok and acceptable?

I can never bring my children up to accept this kind of abuse. That's how one woman removed her slippers and told me to take them out. I looked at her like, "You mean, me?" she could easily have walked to the door to remove the said slippers.

5 Likes

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by drmikeadams(m): 6:04pm On Mar 13, 2020
Asquare84:
i have once stayed with my aunt in Abuja, i will be the one to wash cars, clean the house and weed grasses, and fetch water. still yet my aunt will showed me how evil human being can be once you step your feet in their house ( she is my mother your sister), she will insult me to my root and till date some of those insult open my eyes to a lot things about my maternal people, but yet her husband that is not even related to me will always take me like his own blood. woman are wicked and evil
. cheesy grin. "Women are wicked and evil",,,,,that na statement of fact,,,they will still hide under going to church or been born again
Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by sisisioge: 6:22pm On Mar 13, 2020
franchasng:
I said it here that every Nigerian adult have a dark tale story to tell about one or two wicked Aunt or sister-in-law that treated them like slave when they went for holiday or to live with them, that's if we can be honest to ourselves.

I myself being the last of the family decided to spend my after waec holiday in an elder brother's house in another city, this decision turned out horrible for me.

This lady (my own brothers wife oh) who even knew I didn't came to live with them or came from poverty, and even knowing how precious I was to my mother and how I was pampered at home like an egg decided to turn me, fragile me oh to a camel now working round the clock without eating grin grin

Honestly married Nigerian ladies are wicked I swear lolz cheesy

Sometimes I keep wondering if some evil spirit do jump in and possess Nigerian ladies once they marry, especially when they marry a financially stable man, maybe oh cos the same ladies commenting and reading these threads will still log out to start maltreating their house maids, helps, in-laws and poor visitors to their homes for no justifiable reason. Abeg ladies make una change...we the men making the money aren't complaining of people finishing the money, watching people feed from our pocket gives us joy and energy to work harder, stop maltreating poor people around you, stop maltreating your domestic workers and visiting in-laws, these things have negative impact on your husband's income and life span cos as you maltreat these poor kids and poor people, they cry silently and curse you/your family which can bring ill fortune your way by bringing hard luck to your hubby or even causing strange deaths, be careful Nigerian ladies, be careful!! Treat your maids, in-laws and poor people with love, they are humans like your children!!

I will go out to buy one thing or the other like 100 times in a day, even when we lived in a duplex in a very serene estate oh.

What gave me some succour then was that I was not alone lol

From the frequent errands she sends me everyday, I got to meet and knew other depressed, dejected and helpless teenagers like me that also came for holiday in either their brother's house or uncle's house or came mainly as house maids, and we will be sharing and discussing our miseries, and when I listen to some other's story, it seemed like mine was a bit better even though I was dying already grin

There was no phone then, only land lines and my family house had none where I could call home to tell my mom to come and rescue me before she meets my corpse cheesy

I begged to go back to my parents, but I spent a whole 9 months in that house of horror, but it was like eternity....despite the beautiful house and cars, I felt like I was in hell fire cry

All these experiences and more made me to promise myself never to watch anybody around me maltreat a maid or house help or any less privilege person before my own eyes, and reason I told my wife she must not have any maid and if she ever does in future for any reason, she must be ready to treat them like our own kids if not, I will send them back to their parents cos I can't condone it

grin grin grin grin grin experiencing it helps us become better.
Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by sisisioge: 6:24pm On Mar 13, 2020
sndk1:

Stop stereotyping host relatives as evil, it is not good, whatever firsthand experience you had elsewhere notwithstanding. in fact, you probably acted like the girl, which is reason why your own host returned your bad manner in multiple folds. and, the fact that you or anyone will believe the "maggot filled kitchen" statement and other subsequent nonsense allegations from a girl who blatantly refused to obey first simple instruction from her host showed that you are not a wise person. the host did not order her to go and kill anyone, she's just mannerless, entitled and lazy girl.

About the host's children, probably, they had more busy stressful day on the said day than to girl, so questioning why the auntie chose not to send her children on the errand does not make sense.

On a general note, first impression, if there's a need for it, on a situation like that is incumbent on someone in the girl's position not her host.

I see you even speculating about MY experience and also the girls account... No wonder they said we should try walk a mile in a man's shoes to feel the fit! Let me leave you to it. Cheers.
Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by SweetCunt97(f): 6:45pm On Mar 13, 2020
But why welcome a visitor with dirty house and stinking maggoty sink? No welcome nothing, just to ask her to go clean the house.

2 Likes

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by Mizwisdom(f): 8:14pm On Mar 13, 2020
Tripitaka:
Yesterday I read a post on FP about a girl who went to live with the aunt because things were difficult at home.
https://www.nairaland.com/5730436/living-aunt-pastors-wife-hell

It was a very interesting thread and while perusing the thread and seeing all the people especially women sympathizing with the lady, I couldn't help but keep wondering if all the tales we read on the internet about women and madams meting out inhumane treatments to their househelps were all fictitious or if these women and their accomplices are not on nairaland.

On the post in question, the girl made it clear that when she came in, the whole house was a mess and her aunt asked her to clean to which she vehemently refused, in her own words " I told her I can't do them". Now I ask, if that OP had gone to visit her grandparents and she was told to clean the house, would she have declined? If she met her own father's house a mess, would she decline cleaning It? I doubt. The fact that the aunt has a grownup daughter is inconsequential here after all the OP wasn't the one cleaning the house prior to her visit. What if the OP was not asked to clean the house, same house that will shelter her for a long time, would it not be a wise move to clean the house without being told? Again, the fact that she just came, is inconsequential.

She probably went there with the mindset of "I know I'll be maltreated, but I won't tolerate shìt, so I have to show them straightaway that I'm no pushover".

We are also ignoring the little manner of manner of approach and first impressions. You could ruin a beautiful prospect from the beginning. It would have been a masterstroke for the OP to clean that house out of her own volition or do it humbly when she was told or simply asked for the cleaning to be deferred till the next day. This singular act would have set the pace for a more conducive stay, but no she already had the mindset that she would not get "mummy and daddy treatment". In all honesty, I thought the OP to be rude and entitled. I could be wrong, but that's what I thought.

Now, my mom is a teacher, the old school type with over 25yrs experience and it would be an understatement to call her strict. My mom could starve you for a whole day if you threw away food, she does not tolerate the slightest of nonsenses. Growing up, we had househelps and my mom treated them same way. On the outside, you would think she handles them differently, but no. At a point, my dad stopped bringing maids, as he said it's better for my mom to tackle us in a particular way than another person's child.

On the internet, we all claim to be humanitarians, human rights activists, crime fighters, child right activists and all that, but most importantly, we are all human being open to all sorts of vices and tendencies. I make bold to say that no one would treat their help same way they treat their own children. It doesn't mean they are mistreating the help, it just means that there are certain privileges open to their kids which the help may not enjoy. Your kids attend a 200k per term school, the help attends a 100k per term school. All are good schools, but ...

I had a neighbour who was childless for 11 yrs, eventually they had to adopt a 2yr old child. The child was their crown, the wife could take a bullet for her. After some years, they had their own child. That moment, the wife remembered that the other kid was adopted. Then everything changed.

My point, do not go to someone's house and expect to be treated like their own child or family. Why? Because you're not their child or family. There are so many privileges you may not enjoy. It is what it is. This fact means that you have to put in the extra yards and also understand that the children of your host may get away with certain things, but you can't.

There is no justification for mistreating someone, absolutely none, so anyone who wants to argue must stay on course.

LordKO
Sisisioge
Dominique
Franchasng
Safarigirl
Mizwisdom

What is there to add again, you have said my mind

5 Likes

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by safarigirl(f): 9:09pm On Mar 13, 2020
STOP NORMALISING ABUSE

STOP LETTING PEOPLE THINK IT IS OKAY TO BE A DEMON

Why will anyone welcome a visitor to their home with a dirty kitchen? If you are a pig every other day of the week, try and clean up for that day the visitor is coming.

Would the aunty have tried it if a 17-year old mane relative of her husband had been thee visitor, or is it only girls that should be turned to maids?

It is men that are supporting suchh trash behavior, because 80% of the time, it is girls that have to deal with evil women, they just sit by and do nothing

It is the same men that marry abusive women and look away when the abusive women are being wicked. Men are the biggest enablers of domestic abuse

STOP NORMALIZING ABUSE

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by safarigirl(f): 9:16pm On Mar 13, 2020
SweetCunt97:
But why welcome a visitor with dirty house and stinking maggoty sink? No welcome nothing, just to ask her to go clean the house.

can you imagine the nonsense?

Even slaves are first shown to their rooms and given a welcome your before anyone asks them to lift a finger.

A woman with children, welcomed a child to her maggot-infested home and someone is saying "What if it was her grandparents?"

So many people do not deserve to have children in this country, if this is how they want to treat children. God is just giving kids to devilish people these days.

3 Likes

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by safarigirl(f): 9:22pm On Mar 13, 2020
sndk1:

Stop stereotyping host relatives as evil, it is not good, whatever firsthand experience you had elsewhere notwithstanding. in fact, you probably acted like the girl, which is reason why your own host returned your bad manner in multiple folds. and, the fact that you or anyone will believe the "maggot filled kitchen" statement and other subsequent nonsense allegations from a girl who blatantly refused to obey first simple instruction from her host showed that you are not a wise person. the host did not order her to go and kill anyone, she's just a mannerless, entitled and lazy girl.

About the host's children, probably, they had more busy stressful day on the said day than the girl, so questioning why the auntie chose not to send her children on the errand does not make sense.

The host kids had more stressful day than someone that traveled? More stressful tthan someone who had to leave her father's house to stay with virtual strangers?

What Kind of evil person are you? You and the three people that liked this nonsense are sadists and masochist's. You have a history of abuse in your family

I'm so pissed off by this nonsense. If there was Child Protective Services in Nigeria, most of you would never be allowed to have kids.

Nobody is passing any narrative, but for you to endorse this kind of behavior, you must be an evil relative as well.

May God not allow us to die and leave our kids behind with people like you.

And as for the OP, the next time you want to start such a vile thread that supports child abuse and domestic abuse, don't you EVER tag me in it. I could have gone my whole life without reading the rubbish you lot are writing here. Nonsense.

5 Likes

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by SweetCunt97(f): 9:24pm On Mar 13, 2020
grafixdon:
Op, well said.

That girl is very stubborn, your aunty asked you to clean the house, you have the gut to say no. Someone who is going to feed you, clothe you and provide most of your needs.

I'll never take any relatives who doesn't assist or pay me back in anyway, you can't be eating my foods without being useful to me.

Just imagine! Stop normalizing abuse ooo. Child of the sibling you grew up and played with came visiting and the first thing u do is ask d person to clean ur dirty house? U no offer am water or anything o... Abeg u must b a wicked person. U for talk say na househelps u want na.

4 Likes

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by safarigirl(f): 9:29pm On Mar 13, 2020
sisisioge:

I have never experienced such a thing, but I can NEVER endorse such a behavior

I Am FIERCELY protective of children, I can't even stand to see them being shouted at. I am even more careful with kids that are not mine, so, for anyone to theink this behavior is right in any way, or it teaches any sort of lesson, or there is one light at the end of the tunnel, is highly manipulative

The Truth is that abuse begets abuse, and the abused will one day, become the abusers. People who have been abused have rationalized it as normal, they have convinced themselves that it builds character, so, they become what they most loathed as adults, and abuse their own kids. Only few abused people actually release themselves from that vicious cycle.

This is not normal behavior. Nobody's kid should be reduced to a help because of unfortunate circumstances. Nobody deserves to be used by relatives, they did not bring themselves to the world, and shouldn't be made to suffer for it.

Let God bless somebody in this life, that is all we pray for. May our children not suffer for something that is not their fault

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by safarigirl(f): 9:30pm On Mar 13, 2020
SweetCunt97:
Just imagine! Stop normalizing abuse ooo. Child of the sibling you grew up and played with came visiting and the first thing u do is ask d person to clean ur dirty house? U no offer am water or anything o... Abeg u must b a wicked person. U for talk say na househelps u want na.
it is a step-sibling now, the aunty probably never liked her mother, and the useless father just asnt her to suffer for it
Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by grafixdon: 9:40pm On Mar 13, 2020
SweetCunt97:

I'm very wicked, I know. But stop being emotional. Put yourself in her sister's shoes, you have a sister inlaw who does absolutely nothing than to seat and watch Telemundo, no help whatsoever, just to wake up and eat your food, how would u feel? I'm sure you'll never take that shit.
Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by sndk1(m): 9:54pm On Mar 13, 2020
safarigirl:
The host kids had more stressful day than someone that traveled? More stressful tthan someone who had to leave her father's house to stay with virtual strangers?

What Kind of evil person are you? You and the three people that liked this nonsense are sadists and masochist's. You have a history of abuse in your family

I'm so pissed off by this nonsense. If there was Child Protective Services in Nigeria, most of you would never be allowed to have kids.

Nobody is passing any narrative, but for you to endorse this kind of behavior, you must be an evil relative as well.

May God not allow us to die and leave our kids behind with people like you.

And as for the OP, the next time you want to start such a vile thread that supports child abuse and domestic abuse, don't you EVER tag me in it. I could have gone my whole life without reading the rubbish you lot are writing here. Nonsense.

Just shut up and stop typing nonsense everywhere since you lack ability to comprehend and judge well. Some of you just come online to form nonsense. Shouting abuse abuse everywhere as if abuse is worse than insult in the context under discussion.

Only a foolish person will not see action of a girl who insulted her host like the girl did as an abomination. Don't even think that I will entertain your foolishness here, so look elsewhere for foolish people like you.

As a matter of fact, when I was just a little above her claimed age of 21, I was already making waves in the international community and relating with important international figures in respectful manner, yet here you are defending and calling her a kid. A kid that was bold enough to blatantly refuse to obey a simple instruction, and one wonder how come she did not die after being forced to do the same work, since she made the world to believe that it was a heavy task. Nonsense.

Also, it's only a foolish person who will consider subsequent claim of someone who acted the way she did as truth, at least not in the same case.

5 Likes

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by SweetCunt97(f): 9:58pm On Mar 13, 2020
grafixdon:

I'm very wicked, I know. But stop being emotional. Put yourself in her sister's shoes, you have a sister inlaw who does absolutely nothing than to seat and watch Telemundo, no help whatsoever, just to wake up and eat your food, how would u feel? I'm sure you'll never take that shit.

Guy don't b silly. It's definitely normal for a visiting relative to help around the house.. U simply painting a picture that is non existent of that girl's character. Let's call a spade a spade. If na me, I for do about turn return to my papa house,... Who she eep

1 Like

Re: Reaction: Living With My Aunt Has Been Hell by Mariangeles(f): 10:15pm On Mar 13, 2020
No one, not even the parents have the right to abuse a child in the name of discipline.
Adults who torture children are worse than monsters. angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Women, What Do You Bring To The Table? - Men / Enugu Govt. Denies Report On Alleged Stoppage Of Issuance Of Birth Certificates / Why Do Some Women Deny Their Husband Sex After Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 173
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.