Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,957 members, 7,873,083 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 07:50 AM

Attention:advice Needed On P.s.f - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Attention:advice Needed On P.s.f (790 Views)

Help Needed On Volkswagen Passat 2006 Model / Advise Is Urgently Needed On 1999 Volvo / Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Attention:advice Needed On P.s.f by Nobody: 2:13pm On Dec 23, 2010
Goodday House,
After months of Ignoring my Power steering fluid level,I made an observation today to find out its below the Low level lid.I know most manufacturers suggest a life time warranty but I guess my case is different.My issue now is do i top the PSF or flush out the old one? and/or any suggestion on brands to use as non is made available on the owners manual.I drive an 06/07 honda accord.Any Advice is welcomed.Thanks
Re: Attention:advice Needed On P.s.f by BizBooks(m): 2:56pm On Dec 23, 2010
@ Babs2aroks,

Greetings. I think a Power Steering Flush will be the best thing to do though it will be more expensive than simply topping off. But let's wait and see if Siena or any other expert will proffer an opinion.
Re: Attention:advice Needed On P.s.f by KunleA2(m): 4:57pm On Dec 23, 2010
If the fluid is not contaminated or dirty, i would see any reason not to top it. The fluid goes thru the system at a very high rate of pressure generated by the power steering pump.

I would rather see you top it off and keep your peace of mind. My fear is that if the flush was done my someone incompetent, you will start having problems.

But if you are sure your mechanic knows what he is doing, then flush it.

Happy Motoring.
Re: Attention:advice Needed On P.s.f by Fhemmmy: 5:05pm On Dec 23, 2010
Like Kunke said, if the fluid has not gone bad, or you dont see any residue inside it, you could just top it up and be happy.
However, if you suspect that the fluid had gone GaGa, you could flush it out and pour new into it, however, make sure you use a genuine one and not some under the bridge fluid.

Good luck
Re: Attention:advice Needed On P.s.f by Nobody: 5:34pm On Dec 23, 2010
@Bizzbooks
@Kunle
@Fhemmmy
Thanks for your contributions the steering is actually not having any problem turning, but since i noticed the low level,I have not been comfortable.I myself dont Fancy going to the Mechanics and in all honesty both cars i got from this forum have been good to me with no major problems or flaws as i try my best to keep a good scheduled maintanace. I think il stick to toping up the fluid but wouldnt i have to match the same fluid viscosity.Or steering fluids dont have any certai grade? and what product or grade does the manufacture suggest.thanks for the contributions and God bless.More Suggestions are welcomed
Re: Attention:advice Needed On P.s.f by KunleA2(m): 5:40pm On Dec 23, 2010
Just go to any reputable filling station to get the p.s fluid.

Buy a major Brand name.
Re: Attention:advice Needed On P.s.f by sultaan(m): 7:24pm On Dec 23, 2010
Donot just put any PSF in your car.

FYI ,(I may be repeating myself again) Honda is the only car company that use some exclusive fluids in their cars.

The best fluid to use will be the Honda PSF(found at your local dealer), just as in their transmission. If you use regular PSF your system will foam up(I know cos I've done it)

Other rare option you may have is to look for a PSF bottle with "approved for Honda" on it I think valvoline makes one.At the back of a PSF bottle they'll write its specification and the ones its equivalent to with motor company. The one for Honda only has Honda on it.
Re: Attention:advice Needed On P.s.f by Nobody: 8:21pm On Dec 23, 2010
thanks Sultaan,valvoline is a good brand but I have searched locally for it but to No avail.(after my first oil change with valvoline 5W-20) I have had to resort to mobil 20w50 which is the only grade in the nigerian market.I will have a look around tomorow for any alternative with "honda" on it
Re: Attention:advice Needed On P.s.f by sultaan(m): 8:31pm On Dec 23, 2010
You should do all you acn to get the right oil /parts and go by a good service interval.
Read to section on oil change in the manual and see what they write on using 10w30, then you can imagine what happens when you use 20w50.

all you have to do is suck some of the PSF from reservior and top off with new compatible PSF fluid and repeat as desired instead of trying to pull apart and flush(if very dirty)

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/AC0606/AC0606MAINIXA.pdf
Re: Attention:advice Needed On P.s.f by bowakoko: 9:43pm On Mar 18, 2013
Hi Sultaan, I read with keen interest your contribution regarding use of genuine power steering oil Forrester Honda.
For the past 3 weeks I have been searching for original power steering oil for my Honda accord 2003 but no luck. I reside in Lagos. Please do you know where I can find this pso in Lagos and the brand me?
I will be glad if anyone with the information can mail me ( l do not visit NL often)

MY EMAIL ADDRESS
bowakoko@yahoo.com.

Thank you all.
Bowl

(1) (Reply)

Femmy2010 **cotonou King* Where Are You: Need Your Help Pls / Registered Very Clean 98/99 Toyota Sienna Xle For Sale - N850k / This Is Urgent! Cars Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.