Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,809 members, 7,933,103 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 07:08 PM

Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! (25076 Views)

Nigeria Needs To Devaluate Naira, Ease Dollar Restrictions- Sanusi / Nigeria Needs President Buhari As Minister Of Defence, Not Petroleum / Buhari To Split NNPC Into Two…plans Fresh Bid Round For Oil Blocks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by kcjazz(m): 3:55am On Dec 26, 2010
@OP
Please separate the problem from the consequence.

If we have to split the country as you mentioned, then it should be into 36 states or by tribes which I think is not possible. We need a strong leader at the center. I do not support violence in any form, but we need to sit down as a country to ask ourselves questions and find solutions.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by lagbaja20: 4:04am On Dec 26, 2010
Faeb:

Stop it abeg!
You don't need us and we don't need you. Nobody needs anybody and everybody can survive on their own if need be, we need to be confident in our abilities to weather any storm.

By the way, what culture and history does the SW share with Akwa Ibom, Rivers, Bayelsa and 90% of Delta state?

I'm not saying there can't be synergy, but there certainly isn't a "need."

Well for starters, the SS has no experience in nation building, like the SW and SE. IF GEJ performance is anything to go by, then as an autonomous nation you would be in for a rude shock. The north, without doubt, would overrun you and take over your resources, like Saddam Hussein did to Kuwait. Nation building is more complicated than bribing pastors with $50.000, you couldn't even do that successfully. Furthermore, the SS does not seem to have charismatic leaders they can rally behind, like the SW, SE, and the North.

I repeat the SS, especially people of the ND, cannot survive alone without the help of either the SE or the SW. The Igbos in the SS can go along with the SE and the rest could join the SW if they want. Anyhow, the SS cannot be trusted to stand alone!
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by OAM4J: 4:40am On Dec 26, 2010
Splitting at this time will be difficult (though not impossible) and will come with its own complications. The 1st challenge is: 'what will be the defining lines?'

If we dont identify the real reasons why we cannot live peaceable together and deal with it, how are we going to be sure that after splitting, Egbas will not be at logger head with the Ijebus, Ijesha with Ekitis, Kanuri with Nupes, Irhobos with Itsekiri, Binin with Ishan, owerri with Aba, etc.

I dont think the solution is splitting, there is beauty and strength in our diversity, if we only know how to maximize it. The real solution to our problem is True federalism with a smaller and less powerful center.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by Nobody: 4:42am On Dec 26, 2010
OAM4J:

Splitting at this time will be difficult (though not impossible) and will come with its own complications. The 1st challenge is: 'what will be the defining lines?'

If we dont identify the real reasons why we cannot live peaceable together and deal with it, how are we going to be sure that after splitting, Egbas will not be at logger head with the Ijebus, Ijesha with Ekitis, Kanuri with Nupes, Irhobos with Itsekiri, Binin with Ishan, owerri with Aba, etc.

I dont think the solution is splitting, there is beauty and strength in our diversity, if we only know how to maximize it. The real solution to our problem is True federalism with a smaller and less powerful center.

Ekitis have no problem with anyone. WHO we have problem with are our politicians and "elections". Apart from that, wetin we wan [b]logger [/b]anyone's [b]head [/b]for?  undecided We're a peaceful bunch  cool
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by OAM4J: 4:51am On Dec 26, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Ekitis have no problem with anyone. WHO we have problem with are our politicians and "elections". Apart from that, wetin we wan [b]logger [/b]anyone's [b]head [/b]for?  undecided We're a peaceful bunch  cool

Ekitis were always at logger heads with the Ondo people before the state was divided - fact. The point of my argument is that in the event the Yourubas becoming a nation, we cannot be too sure that the debate of Igbos vs Yoruba vs Hausa will not be shifted to to the debate of Egba vs Ijebu vs Ekiti vs Ondo vs Ijesha. Even if Ekiti should become a nation, the debate might shift to Ado vs Ikere vs Ikole etc.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by Nobody: 4:55am On Dec 26, 2010
OAM4J:

Ekitis were always at logger heads with the Ondo people before the state was divided - fact. The point of my argument is that in the event the Yourubas becoming a nation, we cannot be too sure that the debate of Igbos vs Yoruba vs Hausa will not be shifted to to the debate of Egba vs Ijebu vs Ekiti vs Ondo vs Ijesha. Even if Ekiti should become a nation, the debate might shift to Ado vs Ikere vs Ikole etc.

The conflict with Ondo was history. Last time I checked, Ondo and Ekiti are in very good terms.
I see where you're heading tho. . . .
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by Ivynwa(f): 4:56am On Dec 26, 2010
@poster
Glad to see somebody thinking almost exactly the way I do. Life will be better and development will be faster for us all if we split up, we are too large to handle. Zoning to me is child's play, it is the direct synonym of tribalism. Divided into smaller 5 or 6 nations, resources and amenities can get to reach people. I pray they realize that before that zoning thing causes a big problem. Let us not be negative anyway because I detest bloodshed in the name of politics and the struggle for power.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by lagbaja20: 5:02am On Dec 26, 2010
Ivynwa:

@poster
Glad to see somebody thinking almost exactly the way I do. Life will be better and development will be faster for us all if we split up, we are too large to handle. Zoning to me is child's play, it is the direct synonym of tribalism. Divided into smaller 5 or 6 nations, resources and amenities can get to reach people. I pray they realize that before that zoning thing causes a big problem. Let us not be negative anyway because I detest bloodshed in the name of politics and the struggle for power.

What do you want?

A confederation?
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by Obiagu1(m): 5:10am On Dec 26, 2010
lagbaja20:

That is too strong a word;IMO, very stupit analogy
The midwest was created to ensure a more equitable share of the national cake. Its like saying Ebonyi ran away from Enugu

Lame embarassed
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by Obiagu1(m): 5:12am On Dec 26, 2010
Ivynwa:

@poster

No, SW and SE MUST be in one nation with or without the SS.
We want to deal with the Yorubas because we love them.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by lagbaja20: 5:23am On Dec 26, 2010
Obiagu1:

No, SW and SE MUST be in one nation with or without the SS.
We want to deal with the Yorubas because we love them.

It is not in our best interest to deal with you
You bring nothing different to the table!

I am sorry!
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by OchiAgha2(m): 5:50am On Dec 26, 2010
Let Nigeria split three or four ways. North, South-East, South-West, and Midwest. These are the nation states that should be created.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by lagbaja20: 6:17am On Dec 26, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

Let Nigeria split three or four ways. North, South-East, South-West, and Midwest. These are the nation states that should be created.

The north is made up of different nations; and who decides how we split again?
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by kettykin: 6:31am On Dec 26, 2010
It is too early to talk about the arrangement after splitting, if the south can run a confederal system where each unit ss , se, sw control 80 % of their resource that will be fine . The split can help the minorities realize how their ibo phobia has put then in a wilderness for 40 year,the
yorubas despite their size and years of existence can not live alone that is why they foot drag on issues pertaining to breakup.

The ibos might find it difficult abandoning all their investments in the north and west for a small waste land with little oil and coal.

The niger deltan risk becoming the new middle east with mad rush for ammunitions to secure their oil lands.

The best bet is to find a more secure and rewarding way to live in nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by lagbaja20: 6:52am On Dec 26, 2010
kettykin:

It is too early to talk about the arrangement after splitting, if the south can run a confederal system where each unit ss , se, sw control 80 % of their resource that will be fine . The split can help the minorities realize how their ibo phobia has put then in a wilderness for 40 year,the
yorubas despite their size and years of existence can not live alone that is why they foot drag on issues pertaining to breakup.
The ibos might find it difficult abandoning all their investments in the north and west for a small waste land with little oil and coal.
The niger deltan risk becoming the new middle east with mad rush for ammunitions to secure their oil lands.
The best bet is to find a more secure and rewarding way to live in nigeria.

Do you care to elaborate?
When Yorubas asked that we all go our separate ways, what did the rest of the country call them?
What was Zik's stance on SNC? And, what was his stance on a possible break-up of the country? BTW, Zik is Ibo!
Do you exactly the groups at the forefront of Nigeria's independence from the Whitman?
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by OchiAgha2(m): 6:57am On Dec 26, 2010
lagbaja20:

The north is made up of different nations; and who decides how we split again?

The major ethnic groups of course. However, minority voices should be heard as well.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by dayokanu(m): 7:00am On Dec 26, 2010
If there is a break, Yorubas can stay on their own, If the Edo and Part of Delta want to join fine and if not Good also.

This would include the Yoruba speaking part of Kwara and Kogi states.

We have all it takes to run Yoruba as a successful country. We are mostly united and fight a common course.

Voting pattern in Yorubaland has always been similar, and internal bickering and power struggle would be greatly reduced.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by OchiAgha2(m): 7:03am On Dec 26, 2010
dayokanu, I think Southern Nigeria should remain united for the minority sake. It is my belief that the minorities fear domination from either the Igbo or the Yoruba. However, these minority group are too small to have a functioning nation of their own.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by bidemi12(m): 7:05am On Dec 26, 2010
splitting the country will be an impossible task. what with oil and greed in the mix. until oil runs out and the mentality of nigerians the way it is presently then it will be till death do us part. There is no law, no police, no justice, so why would pdp and the fat calbal agree to split nigeria. Life as it is, is too sweet now so why change it? fracking country.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by Nobody: 7:11am On Dec 26, 2010
bidemi12:

splitting the country will be an impossible task. what with oil and greed in the mix. until oil runs out and the mentality of nigerians the way it is presently then it will be till death do us part. There is no law, no police, no justice, so why would pdp and the fat calbal agree to split nigeria. Life as it is, is too sweet now so why change it? fracking country.

By the grace of God, they will make it possible.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by dayokanu(m): 7:12am On Dec 26, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

dayokanu, I think Southern Nigeria should remain united for the minority sake. It is my belief that the minorities fear domination from either the Igbo or the Yoruba. However, these minority group are too small to have a functioning nation of their own.

Its their choice, We cant decide to have them in a country if they dont want to, I dont want some SS people calling my people leeches just in a bid to remain in the same country with them, I believe the SW and even the SE can do without SS oil and troubles.

In a Yoruba country, Yoruba language would almost be the second national language, I dont know how an Edo or Delta man would adapt to this.

Also a SS nation, where would the capital be? Also Yoruba language would be overwhelmingly the dominant language with about half the country speaking it.

What would be the difference between a Southern Nigeria country and the current Nigeria.

A Southern Nigeria country might be worse for other groups because Yorubas would be the new Hausas but with better intellectual abilities.

Because of the power the of the SW block votes during elections, It might be difficult for other groups to have a major influence. By and large we are back to the same problems bedeviling current Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by lagbaja20: 7:14am On Dec 26, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

That is why SS should split into how many groups they want and either decide to join one of the other two groups or stay alone. I really do not think the SW benefits anything from cooperating with the SE, I just dont think so. It would be a mistake for the SW to allow legions of resentful and disgruntled people in their midst. The SW can stand alone. The SE can stand alone as well. But for both to come together, that would be a mistake of unimaginable proportion. I think the minorities are more fearful of the North than they are of the Yorubas and the Igbos. Yes, the SE is the least endowed region and may want to dominate them, but to say they are fearful of the SW is just ludicrous. The SW is one of the most endowed region in Nigeria, not to talk of the huge human capital she possesses.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by bidemi12(m): 7:16am On Dec 26, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

By the grace of God, they will make it possible.

Amin aunty mi.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by lagbaja20: 7:18am On Dec 26, 2010
dayokanu:

Its their choice, We cant decide to have them in a country if they dont want to, I dont want some SS people calling my people leeches just in a bid to remain in the same country with them, I believe the SW and even the SE can do without SS oil and troubles.

In a Yoruba country, Yoruba language would almost be the second national language, I dont know how an Edo or Delta man would adapt to this.

Also a SS nation, where would the capital be? Also Yoruba language would be overwhelmingly the dominant language with about half the country speaking it.

What would be the difference between a Southern Nigeria country and the current Nigeria.

A Southern Nigeria country might be worse for other groups because Yorubas would be the new Hausas but with better intellectual abilities.

Because of the power the of the SW block votes during elections, It might be difficult for other groups to have a major influence. By and large we are back to the same problems bedeviling current Nigeria

I agree with everything you posited above!
However, I do think to some extent the SE need the oil in the SS.
The SE is the least endowed region in Nigeria
Other than palm kernel, what do they have?
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by GAR3TH(m): 7:20am On Dec 26, 2010
what is the education rate, how old and were do most of these nairalanders live?
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by OchiAgha2(m): 7:22am On Dec 26, 2010
dayokanu:

You brought up some interesting point. I agree with you on some point, but others point, I disagree with. The point that I agree with you on concerns the good people of the SS. They should have the right to choose a nation that they wish to be a part of. I see no problem with that. However, some SS groups cannot have a nation of their own, because they will be too small. It will be foolish for them to have a nation of their own. Plus, some SS groups do not even get along, in which they are is open hostility against them.

Yoruba language is dominant in the South-West, I do not deny that. However, I disagree with you concerning that the Yoruba would be the new "Hausa" in a Southern federation. The Hausa are truly unique. Plus, in a Southern federation, the Yoruba and the Igbo populations are proportional.

The reason why a Southern federation would work is due to the fact of the Yoruba/Igbo rivalry. That would be beneficial for minorities, because they could be the deciding vote. A minority can truly have power.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by OchiAgha2(m): 7:24am On Dec 26, 2010
lagbaja20:

I agree with everything you posited above!
However, I do think to some extent the SE need the oil in the SS.
The SE is the least endowed region in Nigeria
Other than palm kernel, what do they have?

Who told you the SE is the least endowed region in Nigeria? We have oil, coal and palm kernel as you have said. The presence of oil  in large quantities in Imo, Abia and now Anambra is more than any of the oil found in South-West. What the South-West lacks in oil, since the oil reserves in Ondo State are nothing compared to the oil reserves found in the South-East is the large natural gas reservoirs that are found in your region. Let us not forget the cocoa.

Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by OchiAgha2(m): 7:26am On Dec 26, 2010
The only region that I have seen that could have a nation, is the only region that has tasted freedom and that is the Eastern region. No other region has shown that they can be self-sufficient. It can be said that the in-fighting that has plagued the Yoruba people throughout much of their history could prove disastrous for a nation of their own. Don't people remember the Western crisis?
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by udezue(m): 7:33am On Dec 26, 2010
Biafra-(Igbo,Efik-Ibibio,Ogoni,Ijo,Idoma, and Igala)

Oduduwa-(Yoruba-Itsekiri,Bini, and Esan)

Arewa-(Hausa,Fulani,Nupe, Kanuri,Jukun)

MiddleBelt-(Tiv,Gwari,Berom,Angas,Kataf,Ebira)
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by lagbaja20: 7:33am On Dec 26, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

The only region that I have seen that could have a nation, is the only region that has tasted freedom and that is the Eastern region. No other region has shown that they can be self-sufficient. It can be said that the in-fighting that has plagued the Yoruba people throughout much of their history could prove disastrous for a nation of their own. Don't people remember the Western crisis?
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Nice try!
Whatever makes you sleep well tonight!
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by kcjazz(m): 7:35am On Dec 26, 2010
Even on a thread that supports splitting, we can't even reach conclusions on how the split should go. That to me shows why we must sit down as a nation and explore our options before we consider this issue.
Have we created employment for this youths that cause violence? In an election year, no candidate has a plan to reduce our unemployment rate to at least 20% in a well laid out blueprint.
How has Kaduna and Kano become relatively "peaceful" even as Christians still live among them while Jos, a once peaceful state has become totally restless?

We talk of splitting the country as if it entails moving to another continent, truth is, we will share boundaries with this people, and in no time the same people will infiltrate the new states to create chaos. We need to explore all options and that includes providing the right environment for development for our people, until then we will continue to suffer from this issue and sadly breaking up is not a long term plan.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by OchiAgha2(m): 7:35am On Dec 26, 2010
udezue:

Biafra-(Igbo,Efik-Ibibio,Ogoni,Ijo,Idoma, and Igala)

Oduduwa-(Yoruba-Itsekiri,Bini, and Esan)

Arewa-(Hausa,Fulani,Nupe, Kanuri,Jukun)

MiddleBelt-(Tiv,Gwari,Berom,Angas,Kataf,Ebira)

That could possibly work. However, the only group that is a question mark for me is the Ijo. We know how the Ijo are an independent bunch. And the Idoma and Igala may want to join the other Middle Belt groups.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20)

Should I Return To Nigeria? / Labour May Re-consider Nationwide Protest Following Measures Announced By Tinubu / President Tinubu Attends NDA's 60th Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.