Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,726 members, 7,938,243 topics. Date: Monday, 02 September 2024 at 08:40 PM

Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 (5649 Views)

Jonathan’s Biggest Economic Mistakes — Pat Utomi / Pat Utomi To Run As Delta State Gov In 2015 / Ekwunife Declares To Vie For Anambra Guber Race (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by Nobody: 12:57am On Dec 28, 2010
a very nice man
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by sochan: 1:01am On Dec 28, 2010
I wont waste my vote on him. .i dont think he has a chance, not now!

so who should I vote for then, if a vote for PU is a wasted vote. I just dont get people. Nigerian really do deserve the leaders they get, never willing to put out to get a good result
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by Eziachi: 1:11am On Dec 28, 2010
Why can't someone like Utomi go to the senate, house of Rep or state house of assembly? Why can't he be a local govt chairman and make waves from there. Running for something that even an unborn baby knew he has no chance in Nigerian version of democracy. Waste of time.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by MissEZ(f): 2:20am On Dec 28, 2010
I honestly think that Pat Utomi Running for president is a welcome development, however the man has failed to do ground work. Unfortunately Nigerians need to be aware of u and your achievements for you to get ahead in the game (this is not to say PAt U hasnt achieved anything, but how many people know him). Most of the Nigerian Citizenry are in the rural areas, poor and concerned with their daily bread (sad but true), they only know those who feed them. Pat Utomi is a very smart man intellectually, it takes alot more than intellect to win an election. I wish he had played his card right, this man will be good for Nigeria as far as his intention goes and maybe what he can do.

For those who are thinking grassroot doesnt matter, you are wrong in thinking that, even in the united states of America, they recognize grassroot politics, thats why Obama and Mccain visited small towns, factories and their workers and such, You need the goodwill and trust of the people to win.

I really wish this man stood a chance though, he would definitely be good for us, especially the youths at this time.

That being said, The problem with Nigeria is not just the leaders, its the people as well. How we let a few people hijack our country and hold us hostage beats me.  Sometimes i wonder if the masses realize that we are way more than these politicians combined. Lets begin to rise up (esp YOUTHS) adn speak out against the injustice being done to us, WE deserve better.

One more thing, GEJ is clueless, the sooner Nigerians realize this, the more possible it will be to avert another 4 year disaster. That man is ill equipped to rule the country and is a time bomb waiting to happen. I know alot of people do not share this sentiment, but it is true
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by Nobody: 2:23am On Dec 28, 2010
Let him bring it on!

I'm so tired of the likes of Atiku, Buhari and even Jonathan.

A different message, a different voice, and a different method of going about his actions.

But if he's rubbish like the rest of them, plz dont bother wasting our time.

I'll read more about this guy later.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by Nobody: 2:25am On Dec 28, 2010
Miss EZ:

I honestly think that Pat Utomi Running for president is a welcome development, however the man has failed to do ground work. Unfortunately Nigerians need to be aware of u and your achievements for you to get ahead in the game (this is not to say PAt U hasnt achieved anything, but how many people know him). Most of the Nigerian Citizenry are in the rural areas, poor and concerned with their daily bread (sad but true), they only know those who feed them. Pat Utomi is a very smart man intellectually, it takes alot more than intellect to win an election. I wish he had played his card right, this man will be good for Nigeria as far as his intention goes and maybe what he can do.

For those who are thinking grassroot doesnt matter, you are wrong in thinking that, even in the united states of America, they recognize grassroot politics, thats why Obama and Mccain visited small towns, factories and their workers and such, You need the goodwill and trust of the people to win.

I really wish this man stood a chance though, he would definitely be good for us, especially the youths at this time.

That being said, The problem with Nigeria is not just the leaders, its the people as well. How we let a few people hijack our country and hold us hostage beats me.  Sometimes i wonder if the masses realize that we are way more than these politicians combined. Lets begin to rise up (esp YOUTHS) adn speak out against the injustice being done to us, WE deserve better.

Is it really too late to be known?

That's what campaign is for, no?

It doesnt mean he has to start passing out bags of rice o grin
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by MissEZ(f): 2:36am On Dec 28, 2010
When i say known, i call it as it is. HE NEEDS TO BE KNOWN. Its not too late, but for that to happen, he needs to be aggressive about it.

Aspa your statement of handing out bags of rice, my position on that is "if need be". We do not live in an ideal society. As long as he is not rigging elections,bribing officials and such, i think its an okay price to pay. Am i encouraging corruption? No, but in order to gain the support of the people in the villages, he needs to earn their trusts, and that includes showing that he cares about their welfare. My dear this is not america where u can promise to improve standard of living and health care and they will believe u.

A good example is my village. Its small, and most people are not educated. Would u believe that when we went home and gave money to some of our old family members for xmas, we gave the old man 1000 naira note adn gave his grandchild 2 50 naira notes (N100), the old man wey no go sch thought that the kid had more money than him cos his money came in two notes. this was in early 2000. People in rural areas dont understand big language, what they understand is your ability to provide for them.

Its sad, but thats the truth. You and i can sit and reason with Uncle Pat and understand that he means well, not everyone can, and like someone rightly said, to be apeople person, you need to communicate at their level of understanding. If he needs to give rice to become a good president for Nigeria, if that gives him the chance he needs to get there, i think he should go ahead,  AS LONG as he is not rigging elections or stealing ballot boxes, or bribing INEC officials and such, i think that is a small price to pay. I am all for doing things by the book, but isnt that why good men never lead us? You cannot be a sucessful politician in Nigeria and not make atleast some small concessions or play the game abit. SAD but true. Me i have moved past those days when i said, no giving of rice, men if that will get the awareness he needs from the rural areas (since thats what they understand) make him give them rice and become our president.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by Becomrich12: 2:39am On Dec 28, 2010
He cant win, there are just 4 party that can win in Nigeria. he is not in any of them. So he cant win.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by Nobody: 2:49am On Dec 28, 2010
Miss EZ:

When i say known, i call it as it is. HE NEEDS TO BE KNOWN. Its not too late, but for that to happen, he needs to be aggressive about it.

Aspa your statement of handing out bags of rice, my position on that is "if need be". We do not live in an ideal society. As long as he is not rigging elections,bribing officials and such, i think its an okay price to pay. Am i encouraging corruption? No, but in order to gain the support of the people in the villages, he needs to earn their trusts, and that includes showing that he cares about their welfare. My dear this is not america where u can promise to improve standard of living and health care and they will believe u.

A good example is my village. Its small, and most people are not educated. Would u believe that when we went home and gave money to some of our old family members for xmas, we gave the old man 1000 naira note adn gave his grandchild 2 50 naira notes (N100), the old man wey no go sch thought that the kid had more money than him cos his money came in two notes. this was in early 2000. People in rural areas dont understand big language, what they understand is your ability to provide for them.

Its sad, but thats the truth. You and i can sit and reason with Uncle Pat and understand that he means well, not everyone can, and like someone rightly said, to be apeople person, you need to communicate at their level of understanding. If he needs to give rice to become a good president for Nigeria, if that gives him the chance he needs to get there, i think he should go ahead,  AS LONG as he is not rigging elections or stealing ballot boxes, or bribing INEC officials and such, i think that is a small price to pay. I am all for doing things by the book, but isnt that why good men never lead us? You cannot be a sucessful politician in Nigeria and not make atleast some small concessions or play the game abit. SAD but true. Me i have moved past those days when i said, no giving of rice, men if that will get the awareness he needs from the rural areas (since thats what they understand) make him give them rice and become our president.

I get what you mean and I concur with you.

It seems like people, educated or uneducated, cares not what their prospective president has done/ can do, but more about how popular he his. Popularity can be bad or good.

As long as Utomi makes himself heard often with sweet words, then he has a good chance.

In this country, the likes of IBB are still being taken serious, the likes of OBJ still respected.

Anywaz, I'll read more about him and determine my own opinion. But from now, I hope he represents himself well amongst the people. Enough of Atiku and JEGA, it's because they're the only one running is why they keep on with their jargons.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by MissEZ(f): 2:53am On Dec 28, 2010
From what i know of PAt Utomi, he is a smart man, but when he speaks of Nigeria, he talks as if it is an ideal setting. But is it? No its not. Can it be? yes it can, but for now, work with what you see on ground
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by Nobody: 2:57am On Dec 28, 2010
I believe each candidate can claim intelligence, but it's what each can do with it that really matters sha
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by MissEZ(f): 3:05am On Dec 28, 2010
Good point. But babe, u ma know sef say no be everybody wey claim intelligence go fit show am. my point is just that from the get go, you know that the man go school, lol,  but like u said, its not a true measure of what someone can do
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by ladej(m): 3:47am On Dec 28, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Is it really too late to be known?

That's what campaign is for, no?

It doesnt mean he has to start passing out bags of rice o grin
yeah it is actually. 4 months to go and he's still not a house hold name. money of course would be a constraint, as in he has to be everywhere, billboards, TV, online, everywhere. and as someone rightly pointed out, grassroots. hit almost every major city while spreading the word in the smaller communities.
Miss EZ:

Good point. But babe, u ma know sef say no be everybody wey claim intelligence go fit show am. my point is just that from the get go, you know that the man go school, lol,  but like u said, its not a true measure of what someone can do
true say. yar adua went to school. so did george bush. grin
Miss EZ:

From what i know of PAt Utomi, he is a smart man, but when he speaks of Nigeria, he talks as if it is an ideal setting. But is it? No its not. Can it be? yes it can, but for now, work with what you see on ground
hes an economist with an extremely utopian view of nigeria, hence the idealistic stance
Becomrich?:

He cant win, there are just 4 party that can win in Nigeria. he is not in any of them. So he cant win.
this is extremely simplistic. why not break it down further.
Eziachi:

Why can't someone like Utomi go to the senate, house of Rep or state house of assembly? Why can't he be a local govt chairman and make waves from there. Running for something that even an unborn baby knew he has no chance in Nigerian version of democracy. Waste of time.
cos he probably feels he will effect the most change at a presidential level
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by jensinmi(m): 3:58am On Dec 28, 2010
Miss EZ:

One more thing, GEJ is clueless, the sooner Nigerians realize this, the more possible it will be to avert another 4 year disaster. That man is ill equipped to rule the country and is a time bomb waiting to happen. I know alot of people do not share this sentiment, but it is true

Miss EZ:

Its sad, but thats the truth. You and i can sit and reason with Uncle Pat and understand that he means well, not everyone can, and like someone rightly said, to be apeople person, you need to communicate at their level of understanding. If he needs to give rice to become a good president for Nigeria, if that gives him the chance he needs to get there, i think he should go ahead,  AS LONG as he is not rigging elections or stealing ballot boxes, or bribing INEC officials and such, i think that is a small price to pay. I am all for doing things by the book, but isnt that why good men never lead us? You cannot be a sucessful politician in Nigeria and not make atleast some small concessions or play the game abit.  SAD but true. Me i have moved past those days when i said, no giving of rice, men if that will get the awareness he needs from the rural areas (since thats what  they understand) make him give them rice and become our president.

I wholeheartedly agree with both of the above statements.

Irrespective of who you are, politics involves some games. Once you go into it, you have to be willing to play ball even if to a limited extent. DON'T RIG AND DON'T BRIBE, but don't think politics is like regular life (where as the bible says, you do good things in secret and the Lord will reward you in the open). In most places, you are only as good as what people see you doing as a politician. Things you do in secret may be good for the people but unless they see what you have done, then in a lot of cases, you may as well not have done anything.

That is why you see politicians on the cover of newspaper over every single project they commission or complete. While this is often abused, you cannot overlook the importance of playing this game and making use of those photo opportunities. Likewise, you have to reach people on a level they can understand. The University lectures someone said Pat Utomi has been giving around Nigeria are good; but those are for people in Universities. How can the common man relate to Pat Utomi?? The conductor on the street, Iya selling Akara, and so man others. I believe there are only 2 ways.

1. Either by him going to them and showing he cares (in the eyes of a lot of our people that means "dropping something." Be it rice or recharge card.
or
2. Showing them an example of what he has to offer in terms of achievements in governance just like everyone is shouting "Fashola" now around the country. I know experience doesn't count for much here in Nigeria as most of those who claim experience have failed us.

Don't get me wrong. Pat Utomi is trying hard, and my vote will go to Ribadu or him irrespective of whether I believe they will win or not. But we need to see that as Miss EZ stated, Nigeria is not an ideal study.

Even the people on the street will tell you that your grammar is too much and that you should tell them what you brought for them. It's really sad but that is the truth on ground as of right now.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by igomen: 6:37am On Dec 28, 2010
Pat I am with you all the way.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by oyinda3(f): 6:50am On Dec 28, 2010
This is great news. i'm definitely in!!!!

Miss EZ:

I agree. Pat Utomi is largely unknown. how can he expect to win if he doesn't do something about this?
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by marabout(m): 7:33am On Dec 28, 2010
The reasons Utomi cannot win (maybe even the governorship of his state) are the same reasons why we're where we are.

A country repeatedly shooting itself in the foot. How are we gonna move forward.

American prediction of things falling apart may well come true.
GOD help us.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by blank(f): 8:01am On Dec 28, 2010
Pls, what makes him "the sharpest tool in d box". Is he not the same person that as head of Volkswagen Nigeria, he caused it 2 go under with his impracticable n unworkable ideas?

He just knows economic principles in theory n we all know dat sometimes, u av 2 finetune such with the realities on ground.

Also, Nigeria is more than just in economical trouble. We need someone with the capacity 2 work our cultural n political differences into strengths.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by mbulela: 8:27am On Dec 28, 2010
why is it so difficult for the likes of Duke, Utomi, Fashola, Ribadu and Falana to come together and root out the monster called PDP?
If they love Nigeria as much as they claim and are as progressive as they say they are, why can't their individual ambitions take a back burner?
I am not surprised by the actions of PDP, I am more disappointed by the lack of cohesion amongst the progressives.
Each is trying to do his thing and display his individual intelligence.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by rasputinn(m): 8:30am On Dec 28, 2010
Good for him,but on which platform is he hoping to actujalise this ambition.
Build a structure first sir,build a political structure
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by sochan: 9:04am On Dec 28, 2010
Listen guys,

I think we are all getting it wrong. All this assumption that PU is not doing what he needs to do is so far off the truth. Let us establish one fact, PU is not working with the sort of Budget PDP and co and working on, that said, he is working tirelessly to get his message accross. He holds seminars in Universities and other major institutions, he goes out to meet the common man in factories and market stall.

But let us not forget that he is not doing all the sensationalizing and money throwing that is very common with Nigerians politics and makes people popular and known.

Like I have said, the same problem affecting PU is the same that affects Wole Soyinka, Donald Duke, etc. We are just not willing to move with this sort of politics, Simple reason, we are politically lazy.

Even the Ribadu man, they are people who believe he will not win, and for the same reason, Nigerians are not prepapred to get involved in change. It is much easier for us all to sit at out computers and continue talking PU down and his chances.

Simple question, how many of uS are going to get invloved in the electorial process?
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by dcopolopo(m): 9:17am On Dec 28, 2010
Who is Pat Utomi? Is he a Northerner?
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by sochan: 9:21am On Dec 28, 2010
@Miss-Ez

You make some very valid points, but lets not forget that Pat is now working on the same budget as PDP and co, and besides, how foolish can our people remain to think that the same bread and garri politics that has been in existance for so long has also failed to provide for thier simple needs.

What we need is the well educated amonsts us taking the message to the less educated. Start by telling the people in your village why they need to shy aways from those with empty promises, educate them about thier rights. That is what every well meaning Nigerian needs to do. And not expect Pat to start giving our rice, because that is how one gets votes, so how is he different from the others?

We dont needs to give rice for votes. Tell those who dont know why they need to choose right and act right. The saying give a child fish and you feed him for one day, but teach him to fish and you feed him forever comes to mind. That is exactly what we have being doing politically.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by juman(m): 9:30am On Dec 28, 2010
Mr. Pat Utomi is wasting his time. He always like to be refer to as former presidential candidate. He can't win local goverment election in the way he moves in politics talkless of presidential election.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by thompsons: 9:47am On Dec 28, 2010
Pat can serve in other sectors of the economy and have better impact than being a president,PRESIDENCY IS NOT THE ULTIMATE.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by sochan: 10:17am On Dec 28, 2010
Nigerians, we always like the easy way out. Critisizing one who dares tp dream, while we sit on our backsides doing absolutely nothing about moving the country forward. why dont those who think Pat is wasting his time tell us who they would rather have, and if they are going to be getting involved in the electorial process, or just sit and talk as usual.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by juman(m): 10:51am On Dec 28, 2010
sochan:

Nigerians, we always like the easy way out. Critisizing one who dares tp dream, while we sit on our backsides doing absolutely nothing about moving the country forward. why dont those who think Pat is wasting his time tell us who they would rather have, and if they are going to be getting involved in the electorial process, or just sit and talk as usual.

Mr. Pat should join hands with other progressive to present a formidable candidate to face PDP. Your success in politics depend on your political structure you have on ground. Even if the Mr. Pat contests in a councillor election against a local boy in his ward in Delta state, he will lose the election.
He is a General without troops.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by monkeyleg: 11:28am On Dec 28, 2010
@Juman,

So which progressives do you suggest he joins? Why dont you join his army and spread the word, except you dont believe in what he stands for?

The fact remains that we as a people do not know what we want. Please let someone suggest a candidate that is agreeable to all
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by nvo5(f): 12:06pm On Dec 28, 2010
monkeyleg:

@Juman,

So which progressives do you suggest he joins? Why dont you join his army and spread the word, except you dont believe in what he stands for?

The fact remains that we as a people do not know what we want. Please let someone suggest a candidate that is agreeable to all
i agree with  you, as for people who thinks he is  Igbo and christian
and can't win, I will advice don't vote someone because his your tribe, religion or the
person is in a winning party. you and I have the right to decide who leads
or rule this country.
sochan:

I wont waste my vote on him. .i dont think he has a chance, not now!

so who should I vote for then, if  a vote for PU is a wasted vote. I just dont get people. Nigerian really do deserve the leaders they get, never willing to put out to get a good result
vote for him, if you believe he can make a change, your vote is not a wasted vote. you never can
tell. IF every Nigerian will come up and say enough is enough our vote must count. pat Utomi
is going. As for me He is the Obama of Nigeria.
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by juman(m): 12:32pm On Dec 28, 2010
nvo5:

As for me He is the Obama of Nigeria.

grin grin grin He should study how Obama got into white house within very short time in politics.

Well, if you talk of business, Nigeria is very proud of him. But politics, he should ask seasoned politicians what it takes to be a good politician and able to stand for presidental election.

He thinks everywhere in Nigeria is like Lagos. He is comedian. People on the streets in many cities don't know him at all. Pls try and ask people on the street in your city.
Personally I like him, I always read anything and everything I come across in the news about him, because he is a briliant man, but he is not a "politician".
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by monkeyleg: 12:37pm On Dec 28, 2010
@nvo5,

My people are lazy, politically lazy. they believe that good governance is something you wish onto yourself. no one is prepared to work, that is why most sit and critisize, yet offer no solutions. These are the same people who would not give up a single hour for the benefit of our country. I have come to the stack conclusion that we are a damn selfish, greed and lazy bunch who have no moral authority to crisitsize those who try, after all that is all Pat is trying to do, go where you and I will not dare because of our selfish nature
Re: Pat Utomi Officially Declares To Run As A Presidential Candidate In 2011 by monkeyleg: 12:40pm On Dec 28, 2010
@juman,

Simple question are you prepared to give up 1 day to help Nigeria achieve good governance? Are you prepared to stand in a queue for days on end, if thats what it takes to see the right person elected? are you prepared to contribute financially and selflessly to the success of Nigeria? And I require an honest candid answer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

For The First Time Buhari Broke Gej Record / President Muhammadu Buhari: Converted Democrat Or Pretentious Dictator / Shiites To Challenge Proscription In Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.