Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,556 members, 7,881,887 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 11:29 AM

Man Blinded 10 Years Ago Can See Again - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Man Blinded 10 Years Ago Can See Again (571 Views)

OMG! See How Phone's Camera Flash Blinded This Little Baby / OMG! Phone Camera Flash Blinded This Little Baby / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Survived Cancer 15 Years Ago (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Blinded 10 Years Ago Can See Again by okpismart: 4:34am On Dec 29, 2010
A blind man has been able to see for the first time in 10 years due to an artificial cornea. Source: HWT Image Library

A NEW artificial cornea has allowed a blind man to see for the first time in 10 years.

Norman Simpson badly damaged the front of his one good eye in an accident.

Corneal transplants from donor eyes failed and doctors said there was nothing more they could do, Sky News said.

But the artificial cornea - the window at the front of the eye - has improved his vision so much he can read newspapers and see his wife again.

"The first person I saw was Carmel. She came up to me and I could see her smiling face. That was lovely," he said.

The new device, called a kerato-prosthesis, consists of a plastic lens that slips through a stabilising ring.
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2010/11/03/1225947/490078-eye.jpg
http://www.news.com.au/world/man-blinded-10-years-ago-can-see-again-thanks-to-new-artificial-cornea/story-e6frfkyi-1225975557663?from=public_rss
Re: Man Blinded 10 Years Ago Can See Again by Joagbaje(m): 8:26am On Dec 29, 2010
Great ! But this should have been in the science section.
Re: Man Blinded 10 Years Ago Can See Again by manmustwac(m): 10:37am On Dec 29, 2010
^^^There is no science section. But i guess in a way we can call it a MIRACLE!
Re: Man Blinded 10 Years Ago Can See Again by Joagbaje(m): 11:29am On Dec 29, 2010
^^^
you can't tell me you don't know what I meant. I meant Health section. This is Health science. A miracle is a divine intervention. Science is discovery.
Re: Man Blinded 10 Years Ago Can See Again by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:40am On Dec 29, 2010
So what is a miracle?
Re: Man Blinded 10 Years Ago Can See Again by Azibalua(f): 12:54pm On Dec 29, 2010
medically we know that damage to the cornea is the second highest reason for blindness and usually in countries with  donor banks they are usually implanted in individuals

the use of the artificial cornea to correct refractive error in an individuals eyesight is  process known a keratoprosthesis discovered by the french  ophthalmologist Guillaume Pellier de Quengsy this is a scientific discovery used to enhance visualisation
some researches as regards this were carried out in sweden with ten patients as well and their vision were improved

we thank god for scientific discoveries and we know there ll be more
Re: Man Blinded 10 Years Ago Can See Again by Joagbaje(m): 1:03pm On Dec 29, 2010
^^^
Sorry ,So what's the point here ma. Is this a spiritual miracle for religious section or medical achievement For health section?
Re: Man Blinded 10 Years Ago Can See Again by manmustwac(m): 1:15pm On Dec 29, 2010
moved to health section. smiley
Re: Man Blinded 10 Years Ago Can See Again by Joagbaje(m): 1:17pm On Dec 29, 2010
manmustwac:

moved to health section. smiley

E sé púpò grin
Re: Man Blinded 10 Years Ago Can See Again by manmustwac(m): 1:22pm On Dec 29, 2010
Joagbaje:

E sé púpò grin
??
Re: Man Blinded 10 Years Ago Can See Again by thweraja10: 5:21pm On Dec 29, 2010
Good initiative

(1) (Reply)

Honeywell / Assistance! / How Does One Overcome Addiction?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.