Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,867 members, 7,872,883 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 02:01 AM

Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test - Health (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test (82714 Views)

Laila Abubakar Ali Dies Of Coronavirus In USA / Nigerian Student Volunteers To Help Fight Coronavirus In Nanjing, China (Photo) / Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by ojaydedon(m): 3:34pm On Mar 30, 2020
omocalabar:
Am sorry for that...I knew the guy personally. Am still in shock

am sorry for your loss..

lost a friend this month too.. so painful.. may God give you the fortitude to bear the loss
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by ojaydedon(m): 3:35pm On Mar 30, 2020
Xkale1234:
white men dey grow anyhow na

the weather and the type of food may contribute then
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by Eminibaaleomomo: 3:37pm On Mar 30, 2020
This biggi is 25year old?

1 Like

Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by Etinosa1234: 3:47pm On Mar 30, 2020
iammo:

people being treated with Hydrochloroquine haven't survived it you are talking of painkillers

US has approved it already..

people that died from it was as a result of overdose a
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by abbey621(m): 3:58pm On Mar 30, 2020
Eminibaaleomomo:
This biggi is 25year old?

It's like you don't watch American football, people twice as big as him are just 22 or younger....lol

1 Like

Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by sylve11: 4:23pm On Mar 30, 2020
Timileyin1234:
no mind am, like say e no get phone to the prescription of the medicine to use cure it
That is why I screenshot every solution I see online

Hmmm cool
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by yassinattah(m): 4:27pm On Mar 30, 2020
knowhowk:
Chloroquine Azithromycin and zinc Sulphate would have saved His life ,The info is everywhere online ,Those discouraging the Combination ,waiting for Nonsense Approval .Using the Pandemic to receive Donations would be happy that He died now .
all these drugs have something in similar biochemically and molecularly except Azithromycin though it is a macrolide,it doesn't help with Influenza or viral infection so why add it,or is it because it can mimick the structural conformation and block the covid receptors from binding molecularly
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by yassinattah(m): 4:49pm On Mar 30, 2020
ivolt:

Yes doctor!
Overweight 25-year-olds usually die of high fever and pneumonia while in ICU.
In fact, I read somewhere that their body is so full that no space for Corona to enter undecided
Please which research did you do that showed that being overweight doesn't allow Corona Virus to penetrate and where on earth did you see overweight at 25yrs of age usually die from high grade fever and pneumonia while in ICU���
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by sonnie10: 5:34pm On Mar 30, 2020
yassinattah:

all these drugs have something in similar biochemically and molecularly except Azithromycin though it is a macrolide,it doesn't help with Influenza or viral infection so why add it,or is it because it can mimick the structural conformation and block the covid receptors from binding molecularly
I think adding Azithromycin might help prevent opportunistic infections like bronchitis and pneumonia which is common for Covid 19 pt.
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by neurosci: 5:50pm On Mar 30, 2020
Akpaamunsi:

But all international students in USA have mandatory health insurance. So what are u saying?

Lol, no it depends on the school. Some universities require mandatory health insurance, while others don't. Most of those community colleges and public colleges require no health insurance. A lot on international students there have no insurance.
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by neurosci: 5:58pm On Mar 30, 2020
Nooil:

It's good you added most because I know for a fact that people without health insurance in the US treat themselves at home.

Lol, what do you know? Go to county hospitals in California, 90% have no insurance. In the US, it is a law: whether you have insurance or not, you must not be turned back at the emergency unit!
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by neurosci: 6:04pm On Mar 30, 2020
sonnie10:

This is not the case here. Every full time student is mandated to carry a health insurance. In fact you can’t register for classes without one. As you can see, he was a final engineering student in a four year college and must have had one.

This is not true. It depends on the school. Some schools require it, some do not. I never had health insurance in my first two years in the US and no international student in my school did.
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by neurosci: 6:06pm On Mar 30, 2020
sharpwriter:

You live in America....please educate the people about health insurance in the United States. Do migrants and citizens get treated without insurance or not, OR how does it work?

They do. In some situations, they may not be able to access elective treatments. But nobody shows up at the emergency unit - with or without insurance - and gets turned back. There is a law that prohibits that!

1 Like

Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by neurosci: 6:21pm On Mar 30, 2020
YungMillionaire:

You can not be an F1 student in America without health insurance. There is no way he doesn't have health insurance.

This is not true. Check my previous answers.
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by Image123(m): 6:48pm On Mar 30, 2020
LordReed:

Bwahahahahaha! Yeah its easier to blame the things you can see than the ones you can't.

You refused to see unfortunately. The report was very clear yet you missed it.
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by Aichmophobia: 7:00pm On Mar 30, 2020
Aichmophobia:
May his soul rest in peace.
I can imagine the pain of the bereaved family... undecided

What's tha business?
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by Steamasters: 7:25pm On Mar 30, 2020
How sad. RIP.
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by sonnie10: 7:47pm On Mar 30, 2020
neurosci:

This is not true. It depends on the school. Some schools require it, some do not. I never had health insurance in my first two years in the US and no international student in my school did.

Most likely, you were not s full time student. Also it might have been added to your total cost without you paying attention since fees were not paid out of pocket.
Did you officially waive it?

1 Like

Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by ivolt: 8:39pm On Mar 30, 2020
yassinattah:

Please which research did you do that showed that being overweight doesn't allow Corona Virus to penetrate and where on earth did you see overweight at 25yrs of age usually die from high grade fever and pneumonia while in ICU���
Read between the lines, the guy got my message clearly.
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by sharpwriter(m): 8:54pm On Mar 30, 2020
neurosci:

They do. In some situations, they may not be able to access elective treatments. But nobody shows up at the emergency unit - with or without insurance - and gets turned back. There is a law that prohibits that!

Thanks ... it is good to ask in order to gain more knowledge.
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by neurosci: 10:02pm On Mar 30, 2020
sonnie10:

Most likely, you were not s full time student. Also it might have been added to your total cost without you paying attention since fees were not paid out of pocket.
Did you officially waive it?

No, unlike insurance, being a full-time student is what is required of every international student, no matter the school one attends, except in exceptional circumstances which must be authorized by USCIS. Several colleges in the United States have no insurance for their students, one of which I attended in my first two years. In such schools, international students are encouraged to purchase private insurance, but this is not mandatory, neither is it verified or required, just encouraged. Therefore, there's no way it would have been added to tuition, as the school simply does not have it. Schools that require international students to have insurance are mostly schools that do actually have their own insurance, where they simply add it to tuition, one of which I believe you must have attended.

And what do you mean by "fees were not paid out of pocket?"
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by roladex(f): 10:22pm On Mar 30, 2020
TheGiftedOne:
Too bad. Had this happened in Nigeria we would have blamed it on negligence and incompetence. Unfortunately even in the so called civilized country, he still died without even a fight from the medics. My condolences to the bereaved family and friends.
this guy fine o
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by BENEAMATA: 12:01am On Mar 31, 2020
GeneralShepherd:
This is criminal negligence
as in abi e no wan better for u.s.a ni ? no health insurance package but he can pay through his nose to get a degree all the way from naija in their uni . and they won't even dispense the chloroquine without doctor's prescription . na so this gentleman just go like that just weeks to achieving one of his life's ambition ? up yours to that bumbling idiot POTUS .
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by sonnie10: 3:06am On Mar 31, 2020
neurosci:

No, unlike insurance, being a full-time student is what is required of every international student, no matter the school one attends, except in exceptional circumstances which must be authorized by USCIS. Several colleges in the United States have no insurance for their students, one of which I attended in my first two years. In such schools, international students are encouraged to purchase private insurance, but this is not mandatory, neither is it verified or required, just encouraged. Therefore, there's no way it would have been added to tuition, as the school simply does not have it. Schools that require international students to have insurance are mostly schools that do actually have their own insurance, where they simply add it to tuition, one of which I believe you must have attended.

And what do you mean by "fees were not paid out of pocket?"

Out of pocket payment means paying fees without having to use credit or student loan.
Actually, schools do not have their own health insurance, there are always provided by private company for students in the school.
Well, the guy wasn’t an international student and as far I know, most student work and attend school at the same time especially those within that age bracket. It is very unlikely that he did not have health insurance either for school or from his job.
Personally I had health insurance through out my years of schooling, maybe because of my course of study. as we needed constant physical and immunization updates.
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by neurosci: 4:30am On Mar 31, 2020
sonnie10:

Out of pocket payment means paying fees without having to use credit or student loan.
Actually, schools do not have their own health insurance, there are always provided by private company for students in the school.
Well, the guy wasn’t an international student and as far I know, most student work and attend school at the same time especially those within that age bracket. It is very unlikely that he did not have health insurance either for school or from his job.
Personally I had health insurance through out my years of schooling, maybe because of my course of study. as we needed constant physical and immunization updates.

I never made any comments about the guy; I'm pretty sure he's most likely a US citizen, and I know his case has nothing to do with insurance.

Yes, I do know that a private company provides the insurance, but it is still the University insurance. Let me clarify this with a logical example: several universities use the insurance company Aetna; however, if international students buy their insurance directly from Aetna, it is invalid. They have to buy it directly from the school. I'm talking about schools that do require insurance here. So, even though the private company is Aetna, it is safe to say it is the University insurance since you cannot go directly to buy from Aetna as a substitution. You also don't make your payment to Aetna but the school. The school fixed the charges too. I understand what you're saying and I believe we mean the same thing, but a difference in context.
I'm guessing you studied nursing or something medical? Well, it's still because of your school not your major, because at schools where insurance is not required, no one is mandated to buy one, regardless of major.
Thanks for clarifying what you mean by "out of pocket."
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by DedeNkem: 6:44am On Mar 31, 2020
Some idiots in Nigeria still think COVID 19 is a hoax!
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by wowcatty: 6:57am On Mar 31, 2020
So sad but I don't believe this story for the following reasons

1. Federal law requires anyone who walks in to the emergency room to be taken care of with no question asked.
2. Why is his father refusing to say the name and location of the hospital if there's nothing else behind it? Doesn't he want them to pay for negligence, a badass lawyer's dream!
3. The picture looks like someone with existing conditions and mere walking into an emergency room especially now with coronavirus cases would have alarmed the ER nurses to give him urgent treatment.

Also Michigan is one of the Democrats states where the governor threatened doctors of losing their licenses if they administer Hydroxy chloroquine to coronavirus patients.
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by wowcatty: 7:04am On Mar 31, 2020
You are even worse than mumu if not so, you would know that there's a governor in Michigan who is refusing to work with Trump and sabotaging all his efforts.
able20:
Some mumu naija people will still tell you that Mr Trump is the best.
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by wowcatty: 7:16am On Mar 31, 2020
Thank goodness for people like you who know what is going on.

These morrrons commenting on what they know nothing about just love to bash Trump for no reason. Trump is doing more than his part to supply the states what they need but he can't force them to do the right thing. He can't babysit them and force them to stop hiding supplies in the warehouses or turn himself to a doctor and be flying around to take care of the patients by himself.
sirhamilton:

It would be nice if you don't make comments on a subject you have zero knowledge on. Don't say things based on hearsays on a public forum unless it's something you've personally experienced or have verified.

Sometime in 2018 I was sick and had no insurance at the time, I got medical attention first from an emergency room and then a few days later from a county hospital. I personally know a friend who got into an accident and had an emergency surgery, his bill was over 30k. It's not like this is free health care, no ER or hospital in the US turns you away; you get the needed medical attention and in a couple of weeks you get the bill in the mail
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by wowcatty: 7:28am On Mar 31, 2020
You can later receive $100,000 medical bill in the mail, but you will be treated first and then be sent to your primary physician. Those who don't have private insurance are either qualify for govt marketplace insurance or medicaid and Medicare if you are old. So if you are still not in any of these coverage, there are community healthcare services where you pay by sliding scale as little as $20. So if you still can't get any of these, you probably have more problems than health issues.
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by sonnie10: 12:54pm On Mar 31, 2020
neurosci:

I never made any comments about the guy; I'm pretty sure he's most likely a US citizen, and I know his case has nothing to do with insurance.

Yes, I do know that a private company provides the insurance, but it is still the University insurance. Let me clarify this with a logical example: several universities use the insurance company Aetna; however, if international students buy their insurance directly from Aetna, it is invalid. They have to buy it directly from the school. I'm talking about schools that do require insurance here. So, even though the private company is Aetna, it is safe to say it is the University insurance since you cannot go directly to buy from Aetna as a substitution. You also don't make your payment to Aetna but the school. The school fixed the charges too. I understand what you're saying and I believe we mean the same thing, but a difference in context.
I'm guessing you studied nursing or something medical? Well, it's still because of your school not your major, because at schools where insurance is not required, no one is mandated to buy one, regardless of major.
Thanks for clarifying what you mean by "out of pocket."
This is where you have it totally wrong. His status as a citizen has a lot to do with health insurance coverage. He has certain privileges in obtaining health care coverage which an international student doesn’t have. He would never pay same premium as international students. Even in terms of private insurance premium, his is solely base on his income or title as a student. Remember he is 25 years and can no longer be under anybody’s coverage but his own.
I did not study nursing like most Nigerians do. I found something else that needed more of maths and physics in the medical field which I have passion for and pursued it to the Glory of God.
Moreover, some semesters while in school, I had my private health insurance from a totally different company from that of the school, all I had to do was to show that it had equivalent coverage as the one provided by School and they never had problems accepting it.
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by neurosci: 5:04pm On Mar 31, 2020
sonnie10:

This is where you have it totally wrong. His status as a citizen has a lot to do with health insurance coverage. He has certain privileges in obtaining health care coverage which an international student doesn’t have. He would never pay same premium as international students. Even in terms of private insurance premium, his is solely base on his income or title as a student. Remember he is 25 years and can no longer be under anybody’s coverage but his own.

Lol, it seems like you don't understand that I'm trying to explain that I'm not interested in discussing the case of this young man. The reason I mentioned that he is likely a US citizen is because I'm trying to reiterate that I'm interested in discussing about international students, not US citizens. The reason I mentioned that his case has nothing to do with insurance is because I know that anyone who shows up at an emergency unit - with or without insurance - will not be turned back. So, summary: there's more to his story than we read here, but I'm not interested.

sonnie10:
Moreover, some semesters while in school, I had my private health insurance from a totally different company from that of the school, all I had to do was to show that it had equivalent coverage as the one provided by School and they never had problems accepting it.

Some schools do have this clause where they accept equivalent insurance coverage over theirs. As a matter of fact, many students from Europe don't even buy the school insurance because their countries' insurance is really good, and many universities here are aware of this and aware them (remember Europe has probably free healthcare). Same applies to many Canadian students. This was why I mentioned in the beginning that it all depends on school; every school has their own policy regarding insurance; some would take none other but theirs, some accept equivalents, while some do not require insurance at all. I was only trying to correct your impression in the beginning that every F1 student in the US is required to have insurance. That is not the case; it all depends on school.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Coronavirus Quarantine: How People Stock Their Homes With Food, Groceries (Pics) / Kenyans Duped Into Wearing Pants As Face Masks To Prevent COVID-19 / More Women In Kano, Katsina Abuse Drugs Than Men – Group Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.