Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,817 members, 7,969,454 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 08:09 AM

Us Attempts To End Birthright Citizenship - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Us Attempts To End Birthright Citizenship (1904 Views)

Nigerian Man Used Me For Money And Citizenship / Illegal Immigrants In The US Will Be Entitled Citizenship / Jus Soli - Right Of Soil - Birthright Citizenship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Us Attempts To End Birthright Citizenship by dancewith: 12:23pm On Jan 01, 2011
The United States of America is attempting to amend their constitution to exclude birthright citizenship to children of Illegal immigrants born in the United States.

Next week, at least five states plan to begin an unusual coordinated effort to cancel automatic United States citizenship for children born in this country to illegal immigrant parents. Birthright citizenship, legally known as Jus Soli, is popular in the American continent, with countries like Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, St Kitts and Nevis, Barbados, Turks & Caicos, US, Cayman Island etc practicing it.

The Republican dominated houses have made this a priority in the new year but it remains to be seen if they will succeed as the repeal will require 2/3 majority approval from all the states and must be signed by a Democratic president who may likely veto it.

Birthright citizenship was enacted in the 14th amendment to secure the right of minorities (mostly slaves) at the time who were denied citizenship despite being born in the US.

You may recall that many Nigerians and Mexicans have been using the birthright citizenship to good effect by slipping into the states when pregnant to have their babies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/01/us/01immig.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha2
Re: Us Attempts To End Birthright Citizenship by AngieFan(f): 1:40pm On Jan 01, 2011
That will never happen.
Re: Us Attempts To End Birthright Citizenship by tpia1: 4:16pm On Jan 01, 2011
but it remains to be seen if they will succeed

true.

might be very difficult because there are so many other factors hinged on this issue.

Birthright citizenship was enacted in the 14th amendment to secure the right of minorities (mostly slaves) at the time who were denied citizenship despite being born in the US.

not saying the minorities involved will mind the amendment, however.
Re: Us Attempts To End Birthright Citizenship by Emmyk(m): 5:26pm On Jan 01, 2011
dancewith:
Nigerians and Mexicans have been using the birthright citizenship to good effect by slipping into the states when pregnant to have their babies
Ha! Very funny dude. Hope you were the one that include this
Re: Us Attempts To End Birthright Citizenship by morpheus24: 3:27am On Jan 02, 2011
It should happen as soon as possible. The system they have now is not sustainable in the long run. NOne the less their required population growth index requires that they grow faster at a rate they are underperforming at therefore this will not be an issue in the short run.
Re: Us Attempts To End Birthright Citizenship by dancewith: 9:10am On Jan 02, 2011
morpheus24:

It should happen as soon as possible. The system they have now is not sustainable in the long run. NOne the less their required population growth index requires that they grow faster at a rate they are underperforming at therefore this will not be an issue in the short run.

I agree this will end at some point. The UK ended theirs in 1983 while Ireland ended theirs in 2004. But I am unsure if a country like Canada, whose population is less than 33million despite having the largest landmass in the world, would wish to end theirs in the near future.

I believe the US may end the diversity visa ahead of those born on their soil. The concept of Jus soli is so important that even in the UK, for those born there, though not given automatic citizenship, almost always go on to get it. It is the same with France and Spain.

It would be interesting to see what happens here this year.
Re: Us Attempts To End Birthright Citizenship by Mudley313: 4:31pm On Jan 02, 2011
read the article you posted yourself well my friend. it says "CHILDREN OF ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS". these are bills to curb illegal immigration and ofcourse we know it's targeted at mexicans by xenophobic republicans who now run the house. these crackers are scared of being overan population-wise in the future by latinos. you know how political power can come with population. if not, birthright citizenship is CONSTITUTIONAL and if you understand how the US governmental system is structured you know it's almost imposible to change something enshrined in the constitution

has nothing to do with population control as the doofus above are trying to imply
Re: Us Attempts To End Birthright Citizenship by morpheus24: 2:15am On Jan 03, 2011
Mudley313:

read the article you posted yourself well my friend. it says "CHILDREN OF ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS". these are bills to curb illegal immigration and ofcourse we know it's targeted at mexicans by xenophobic republicans who now run the house. these crackers are scared of being overan population-wise in the future by latinos. you know how political power can come with population. if not, birthright citizenship is CONSTITUTIONAL and if you understand how the US governmental system is structured you know it's almost imposible to change something enshrined in the constitution

has nothing to do with population control as the doofus above are trying to imply

Ah simple minded folk. Never can see past propaganda can yah!
Re: Us Attempts To End Birthright Citizenship by Mudley313: 4:39pm On Jan 03, 2011
morpheus24:

Ah simple minded folk. Never can see past propaganda can yah!

Ah complex minded folk. my reading comprehension is good enough to read and understand what exactly the article posted above is clearly talking about and not jump into unfounded conspiratorial conclusions originating from some annonymous nigerians online
Re: Us Attempts To End Birthright Citizenship by morpheus24: 6:02pm On Jan 03, 2011
Mudley313:

Ah complex minded folk. my reading comprehension is good enough to read and understand what exactly the article posted above is clearly talking about and not jump into unfounded conspiratorial conclusions originating from some annonymous nigerians online

Right right the overwhelming assumption and therefore answer to the question stems from the fear of a  brown mexican invasion of the US i.e (FEAR), nothing to do with other factors enumerated by us complex minded folk right. irrelevant in your simple observation.

In your world te The obvious answer is the simplest right. Its a republican propaganda machine yet the United states conducts a legal diveristy lottery scheme aimed at non european countries immigrating legally into the country which those crackers are and have been fully aware of since its inception.

Right!
Re: Us Attempts To End Birthright Citizenship by worry246(m): 6:54pm On Jan 03, 2011
morpheus24
You think that using long words makes you look clever WRONG.
At the end of the day America will follow so many other countries and refuse automatic citizanship to babies born to non citizens.
Re: Us Attempts To End Birthright Citizenship by morpheus24: 7:04pm On Jan 03, 2011
worry246:

morpheus24
You think that using long words makes you look clever WRONG.
At the end of the day America will follow so many other countries and refuse automatic citizanship to babies born to non citizens.

If you are intimidated by long big words go and pick up a dictionary and educate yourself on them instead of reflecting your insecurities. I didn't invent the words. I just use them.

Ps Give  me one good reason why they shouldn't change it under that its entrenched in their constitutin(which was intended for different reasons) info

Nigeria does Nigeria confer citizenship to children who's parents are non Nigerian or do they?

The following persons are citizens of Nigeria by birth-namely-

(a) every person born in Nigeria before the date of independence, either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents belongs or belonged to a community indigenous to Nigeria;

Provided that a person shall not become a citizen of Nigeria by virtue of this section if neither of his parents nor any of his grandparents was born in Nigeria.

(b) every person born in Nigeria after the date of independence either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents is a citizen of Nigeria; and

(c) every person born outside Nigeria either of whose parents is a citizen of Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

4 Things Every Nigerian Should Know Before Travelling Abroad / Moving To Sweden. / Live: My Tour Around South West Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.