Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,035 members, 7,966,816 topics. Date: Saturday, 05 October 2024 at 12:57 AM

COVID-19: Our Elected Officials Ought Take Pay Cut - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / COVID-19: Our Elected Officials Ought Take Pay Cut (479 Views)

Nigeria Is Poor, Elected Officials Should Earn Minimum Wage – Soludo / Insecurity In FCT: There's A Disconnect Between Wike & Elected Officials-kingibe / COVID-19: Our Vaccine Experience, By Sanwo-Olu, Hamzat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

COVID-19: Our Elected Officials Ought Take Pay Cut by CanadaOrBust: 12:58pm On Apr 15, 2020
Who else thinks the least our elected officials ought do is take a transparent pay cut in solidarity with the suffering masses??

Jacinda Ardern and New Zealand cabinet take pay cut because of coronavirus
By Isaac Yee, Eric Cheung and Emma Reynolds, CNN

Wed April 15, 2020

(CNN)New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said she and her cabinet will take a 20% pay cut for the next six months because of the coronavirus pandemic.

"We acknowledge New Zealanders who are reliant on wage subsidies, taking pay cuts, and losing their jobs as a result of the Covid-19 global pandemic," Ardern said Wednesday in a news conference. "Today, I can confirm that myself and government ministers and public service chief executives will take a 20% pay cut for the next six months."
She added that the pay cut will not affect her government's fiscal policies, but is intended to show leadership that her cabinet has taken.
New Zealand has been praised for its response to the outbreak. Ardern shut the country's borders to foreign visitors on March 19 and announced a four-week lockdown on March 23, requiring all non-essential workers to stay at home except for grocery shopping or exercising nearby. https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/15/world/jacinda-ardern-pay-cut-coronavirus-intl/index.html

Re: COVID-19: Our Elected Officials Ought Take Pay Cut by Nobody: 7:34pm On Apr 15, 2020
CanadaOrBust:
Who else thinks the least our elected officials ought do is take a transparent pay cut in solidarity with the suffering masses??

At this point, such pay cut is very necessary. Nice thread.
Lalasticlala.
Re: COVID-19: Our Elected Officials Ought Take Pay Cut by Day169: 8:40pm On Apr 15, 2020
That's the ideal.
.. but you and I know the reality!
Re: COVID-19: Our Elected Officials Ought Take Pay Cut by socialmediaman: 8:57pm On Apr 15, 2020
Nigerian politicians can take salary pay cuts, and some of them are currently doing that, the problem is, their salaries probably contribute less than 0.5 - 1% of their incomes. For instance, a governor’s security vote could run into billions, sometimes up to N2 billion Naira, which he doesn’t account for and still uses state purse to fund his security, while he probably earns less than N3 million monthly. So yes they would gladly take pay cuts but that doesn’t solve the problem of waste in Nigeria and doesn’t in anyway show sacrifice as they’ll definitely find ways to replenish from state purse

Similar for house of assembly members and their constituency development and jumbo allowances.
Re: COVID-19: Our Elected Officials Ought Take Pay Cut by CanadaOrBust: 10:29pm On Apr 15, 2020
Quinex:
At this point, such pay cut is very necessary. Nice thread.
Lalasticlala, this is front-page worthy.

Thanks dear. I think the more our politicians see topics like this, the more they’ll strive to be more like their foreign counterparts - instead of just being only totally corrupt!
Re: COVID-19: Our Elected Officials Ought Take Pay Cut by CanadaOrBust: 10:40pm On Apr 15, 2020
socialmediaman:
Nigerian politicians can take salary pay cuts, and some of them are currently doing that, the problem is, their salaries probably contribute less than 0.5 - 1% of their incomes. For instance, a governor’s security vote could run into billions, sometimes up to N2 billion Naira, which he doesn’t account for and still uses state purse to fund his security, while he probably earns less than N3 million monthly. So yes they would gladly take pay cuts but that doesn’t solve the problem of waste in Nigeria and doesn’t in anyway show sacrifice as they’ll definitely find ways to replenish from state purse

Similar for house of assembly members and their constituency development and jumbo allowances.

0.5 - 1%? R u serious?? But how did we get this way. How come these other countries are not like this.
Anyway, so let the cut be a percentage of that security vote or whatever they call it. So much to learn from this your short post, by the way. I suspect u r an insider of some sort. cheesy
Re: COVID-19: Our Elected Officials Ought Take Pay Cut by PoliteActivist: 2:31am On Apr 16, 2020
CanadaOrBust:

Pay cut my a*s. They should be shot. Where is Jerry Rawlings when u need him
Re: COVID-19: Our Elected Officials Ought Take Pay Cut by Nobody: 8:43am On Apr 16, 2020
CanadaOrBust:

Thanks dear. I think the more our politicians see topics like this, the more they’ll strive to be more like their foreign counterparts - instead of just being only totally corrupt!
I observed, what drives corruption the most is selfishness. Except they're compelled, ordinarily, our leaders won't consider pay cut even if Nigeria is the worst hit. Here, it's all man for himself. So, yes, they have to keep seeing and hearing what their counterparts do abroad, maybe it'll awaken their conscience.
I stumbled on this thread this morning;
https://www.nairaland.com/5796659/reps-receive-march-salary-defer
Just buttressed what we've been saying sad

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

You Are Talking Rubbish, IPOB Fires Kemi Olunloyo Over Rumored Nnamdi Kanu's Dea / Revealed! How 150 People D1ed In Kano State Mysteriously, Resident In Panic / We Didn’t Distribute Spoilt Beans To Benue Idps And Refugees – SEMA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.