Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,311 members, 7,943,754 topics. Date: Monday, 09 September 2024 at 12:15 AM

What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? (2628 Views)

What Your Say : Are Muslim Females Truly More Beautiful Than The Christian Ones? / What Constitute Grounds For A Divorce? / Grounds For Breaking Up? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by bayleaf(m): 12:44pm On Jan 14, 2011
I sometimes wonder, what makes marriages crash. Are marriages not for better for worse? so what could possibly make a man/woman decide he/she has had enough and want to leave?
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by Atreides(f): 12:48pm On Jan 14, 2011
As for me,the only reasonable grounds for divorce are Infidelity and Abuse,whether it's physical/emotional/whatever,as long as my life/the lives of my children are in danger.
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:52pm On Jan 14, 2011
Atreides:

As for me,the only reasonable grounds for divorce are Infidelity and Abuse,whether it's physical/emotional/whatever,as long as my life/the lives of my children are in danger.
bayleaf:

I sometimes wonder, what makes marriages crash. Are marriages not for better for worse? so what could possibly make a man/woman decide he/she has had enough and want to leave?

besides the abuse infidelity etc

people just change am sure you aint the same person you where 20 ago, the change make many things drift apart to the extend that you no longer compatible
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by bayleaf(m): 1:07pm On Jan 14, 2011
ZIM DRILL:

besides the abuse infidelity etc

people just change am sure you aint the same person you where 20 ago, the change make many things drift apart to the extend that you no longer compatible
being compatible, what does it really mean, given that we are all from different backgrounds and there aint no way we gonna be the same.
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by bayleaf(m): 1:10pm On Jan 14, 2011
Atreides:

but the vows you must have taken would read ''for better for worse''. if that be the case, then are you not expected to work things out?
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by Atreides(f): 1:19pm On Jan 14, 2011
bayleaf:

but the vows you must have taken would read ''for better for worse''. if that be the case, then are you not expected to work things out?
What kind of useless working it out is that? How will i 'work it out' if he's abusive? Is it when i'm dead that i will 'work it out'? Or should i let him be physically/emotionally abusing my children because i took vows? There are things you work out and there are things you don't. Things like compatibility/changes that occur over the years,those are what you can work out. You could even try to work through infidelity in some instances. If you can work through it,fine. If not,fine. Even the bible gives infidelity as the only grounds for divorce. At least you tried. But abuse? That's a no-go area.
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by MrsChima(f): 1:27pm On Jan 14, 2011
There should be no reasons to divorce someone UNLESS they are being unfaithful by defiling the marital bed. The sole purpose of dating or courting is to get to know the basics and extended basics of each other. Compatibility and chemistry is very important for couples to maintain their marriage.

IF you are not equally yoked with the person whom you married then how can you expect anything to be "smooth sailing"? Couples should DISCUSS BEFORE marriage the dos and don'ts in the marriage. Each couple have their own deal breakers and what is their deal breaker may not be your deal breaker.

We as humans have the tendencies to compare our relationship with other relationships that are out there. I have always stated that the grass isn't green on the other side. If it not green on your side how can it be green their side?

Infidelity and Abuse of any kind in my opinion are the MOST REASONABLE to divorce someone. But, each couples have their own reasons they will feel justified.
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by bayleaf(m): 1:33pm On Jan 14, 2011
Atreides:

What kind of useless working it out is that? How will i 'work it out' if he's abusive? Is it when i'm dead that i will 'work it out'? Or should i let him be physically/emotionally abusing my children because i took vows? There are things you work out and there are things you don't. Things like compatibility/changes that occur over the years,those are what you can work out. You could even try to work through infidelity in some instances. If you can work through it,fine. If not,fine. Even the bible gives infidelity as the only grounds for divorce. At least you tried. But abuse? That's a no-go area.
well if you say abuse, was your partner not doing that b4 u got married?how come you went ahead to marry he/her?what really is the basis for courtship then if fundamental issues like physical/emotional abuse cannot be discovered b4 marriage. or are you saying he just woke overnight and start being abusive?
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by Orton10(m): 1:41pm On Jan 14, 2011

- Absence Of Love.
- Unfaithfulness
-Trust Issues
- External Influence
- Childlessness
- Financial factors
- Physical Abuse
- Permanent Disabilities
- Personal Expectations
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by MrsChima(f): 1:44pm On Jan 14, 2011
Orton1_0:

-Absence Of Love.
- Unfaithfulness
-Trust Issues
- External Influence
- Childlessness

- Financial factors

THe only thing that you posted REASONABLE is Unfaithfulness. I am sure you promise to love them THROUGH BETTER AND WORSE. The others can be modified.
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by Atreides(f): 1:46pm On Jan 14, 2011
bayleaf:

well if you say abuse, was your partner not doing that b4 u got married?how come you went ahead to marry he/her?what really is the basis for courtship then if fundamental issues like physical/emotional abuse cannot be discovered b4 marriage. or are you saying he just woke overnight and start being abusive?
Erm this is a hypothetical situation oh. . I don't have any kind of husband,much less an abusive one,and i don't see that in my future. I agree with you that there re usually signs during dating/courtship,and that some women choose to be blind to said signs and go ahead with the marriage anyway. Or it could be that they hope to change the man after marriage. Thinking like that is wrong,yes,but abuse is wrong as well. Two wrongs do not make a right Whether the man showed signs before the marriage or not,i believe NO WOMAN should remain in an abusive relationship because of the vows she took. In any case,by abusing her the man has already broken and nullified the vows. Divorcing him wouldn't really be breaking any vows because he did that in the first place.
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by delicious1(m): 1:51pm On Jan 14, 2011
Adultery.
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by xynerise: 1:52pm On Jan 14, 2011
Nagging wife, impatience, misunderstanding. They should have the fear of God and things we go back 2 normal.
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by Orton10(m): 1:54pm On Jan 14, 2011
MRS CHIMA
^
Lol, i just did.
For-better-and-for-worse??
C'mon, cut dat cliche and lets be realistic here, most marriages are based on lies and deceit so you don't expect a partner to stick arround and play along simply because he took a matrimonial vow in some church?
Gal, when i get married [i.e. If i even get married] the moment i notice either of the above vice/factors, hmm, i'm gonna bail out for good. Life is to short n precious to waste. My opinion.
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by bayleaf(m): 1:58pm On Jan 14, 2011
Atreides:

Erm this is a hypothetical situation oh. . I don't have any kind of husband,much less an abusive one,and i don't see that in my future. I agree with you that there re usually signs during dating/courtship,and that some women choose to be blind to said signs and go ahead with the marriage anyway. Or it could be that they hope to change the man after marriage. Thinking like that is wrong,yes,but abuse is wrong as well. Two wrongs do not make a right Whether the man showed signs before the marriage or not,i believe NO WOMAN should remain in an abusive relationship because of the vows she took. In any case,by abusing her the man has already broken and nullified the vows. Divorcing him wouldn't really be breaking any vows because he did that in the first place.
i wasn't referring to you in my previous explanation.i was just trying to describe a general situation.
i actually have a friend whose husband beats her black and blue. but he was that way b4 marriage, so should they divorce for that reason now that they are married and have 3 children?
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by MrsChima(f): 1:59pm On Jan 14, 2011
Orton1_0:

MRS CHIMA
^
Lol, i just did.
C'mon, cut dat cliche and lets be realistic here, most marriages are based on lies and deceit so you don't expect a partner to stick arround and play along simply because he took a matrimonial vow in some church?
Gal, when i get married [i.e. If i even get married] the moment i notice either of the above vice/factors, hmm, i'm gonna bail out for good. Life is to short n precious to waste. My opinion.

Interesting. Sighs.
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by Atreides(f): 2:44pm On Jan 14, 2011
@bayleaf,yes,she should. She should run as fast as her legs can carry her. Life has no substitute. He could kill her one day 'by mistake'. She shouldn't have married him in the first place sef.
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by Orton10(m): 2:48pm On Jan 14, 2011
Mrs.Chima:

Interesting. Sighs.
**FROWNS AT MRS CHIMA**
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by Spclst900: 3:05pm On Jan 14, 2011
Orton1_0:

MRS CHIMA
^
Lol, i just did.
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by Omolola1(f): 3:10pm On Jan 14, 2011
@Topic, Adultery! Adultery!! Adultery!!! the bible says so. . .
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by bayleaf(m): 3:25pm On Jan 14, 2011
Atreides:

@bayleaf,yes,she should. She should run as fast as her legs can carry her. Life has no substitute. He could kill her one day 'by mistake'. She shouldn't have married him in the first place sef.
that is what i am talking about. she knew he was abusive, she went ahead to marry him. now you are saying she should run. what was she thinking in da first place?
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by MrsChima(f): 3:27pm On Jan 14, 2011
If my husband ever was to sample some meat that is not from my toto factory.  He will be victoriously single.
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by Orton10(m): 3:33pm On Jan 14, 2011
^
Hmm. Iron Lady so you do manufacture 'totos' and you know tell me. Can i have some?. Lmfao
**Mr Chima i'm just kidding o**
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by Coolabbie: 3:42pm On Jan 14, 2011
@topic Adultery or abuse of any kind.
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jan 14, 2011
Orton1_0:

- Absence Of Love.
- Unfaithfulness
-Trust Issues
- External Influence
- Childlessness
- Financial factors
- Physical Abuse
- Permanent Disabilities
- Personal Expectations

where were all these be4 they tied the knot?
The issue is all these were in place then but they overlooked it cos they were carried away with lust and not true love. Few marriages break up due to ds reasons and something might have led to it,
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by MrsChima(f): 3:44pm On Jan 14, 2011
Orton1_0:

^
Hmm. Iron Lady so you do manufacture 'totos' and you know tell me. Can i have some?. Lmfao
**Mr Chima i'm just kidding o**

Yes, I manufactures PRIME A GRADE toto specially designed for Mr. Chima.
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by bayleaf(m): 3:46pm On Jan 14, 2011
Mrs.Chima:

If my husband ever was to sample some meat that is not from my toto factory.  He will be victoriously single.  
grin that factory must be an interesting one to work in.
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jan 14, 2011
Constant cheating/lies and physical abuse (<<< I have three brothers so he wouldn't be that dumb but[b] I will cut him[/b] at least once if he puts his hands on me,  before I get those papers to sign! I don't play that!  angry)
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by MrsChima(f): 3:49pm On Jan 14, 2011
bayleaf:

grin that factory must be an interesting one to work in.

You sure you are not friends with my husband?  I swear that sound like something Mr. Chima would say.
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by bayleaf(m): 3:57pm On Jan 14, 2011
nikkykay:

where were all these be4 they tied the knot?
The issue is all these were in place then but they overlooked it cos they were carried away with lust and not true love. Few marriages break up due to ds reasons and something might have led to it,
that is exactly the basis of my curiousity.
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by bayleaf(m): 3:58pm On Jan 14, 2011
Mrs.Chima:

You sure you are not friends with my husband? I swear that sound like something Mr. Chima would say.
i think i'd rather be friends with you. grin kiss tongue
Re: What Would You Say Are Reasonable Grounds For Divorce? by kcjazz(m): 4:18pm On Jan 14, 2011
Different things come into play before people contemplate divorce.
I do believe when one or both couples refuses to invest time and efforts to change the cause of discord. Then maybe they should consider a divorce. This requires time and patience.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Loved Her From A Distance But Now She's Getting Married! / PHOTO: 20 Year-old Nigerian Man Marries 78-year-old White Grandmother / Why Are Men Permitted To Cheat But Women Arent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.