Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,499 members, 7,904,905 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 09:19 PM

Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business (33289 Views)

Sam Larry: I Gave Mohbad 2M To Perform At My Mum's Burial, He Never Showed Up / Akin Alabi: My Mum's Driver Thought I Was A Yahoo Boy - Nairabet CEO / More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by nedekid: 2:37pm On May 28, 2020
How much is a bag of onions?

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by Taywon: 2:46pm On May 28, 2020
internationalman:
No one comes to Nairaland when they are having trouble spending their money....

I plan on being the first person so I could transfer at least 10k each to every very active members...

So help me God

Start with me BOSS
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by Nobody: 3:01pm On May 28, 2020
Onions business want to make some1 cry...
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by madgoat(m): 3:14pm On May 28, 2020
Blessamaka:

Did you come to criticize my post or help?

How come u speak good English as an onions seller shocked
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by IFNOTGOD(m): 3:18pm On May 28, 2020
Blessamaka:
My post might be lengthy but I'll try my best to be brief but please read to the end.

I'm in my early twenties (20's) and currently a student in one of the prestigious university in Nigeria.

Before I got admission, I usually help my mum to sell onions in Ajegunle market aka boundary market in Lagos State.

Ever since schools were shut down due to the pandemic I've been scared of helping my mum because of the despicable rules or laws guiding the business which i might not be able to keep to it thereby putting my mum in trouble and that's the only means of survival for me and mum for now.

My mum belongs to a group of people that sells same product and they are usually referred to as Union and the leaders are the one dishing out those annoying laws.

Examples of such laws are:

1. You don't buy more than the quantity of goods apportioned to you else you will be fined and suspended from selling but the so called leaders go contrary to these laws

2. They tell you when to buy goods i.e before buying new goods, you sell your old goods for 7days not minding if the quantity apportioned to you is enough or not. My self as a case study, we were apportioned 3 bags of onions and I sell 3 bags in 3 days so me and my mum would stay at home for 4days before going to buy new goods.

3. They tell you when to start selling which is 10:00am everyday excluding Sunday and this law was before the pandemic

4. They tell you how to sell i.e the size of onions you are to sell for a particular amount as if they borrowed you money or they are the one giving you money always to buy goods.

And many more of these unimaginable laws. Right now I confused! I don't know the best way to go about this and I really do wish to start selling because I'm broke and I've so many responsibilities to care for financially.

I need legal help, advice on how to go about this until I get something else to do or probably a work or a different business.

The reason for going into business is to make profit and save for rainy days but the reverse seems to be the case here.

Please help me move to front page to get more reviews in regard to this

Just like u have OPEC, these people are trying to regulate the market so everyone has a fair share of sales, profit more like everyone is suppose to at least make something for their family.

If u are allowed to sell n buy much quantities, inorder to make quick sales u force d price down a little bit lower Dan ur competitors u spoil d market for all.

Let me ask u, do u really think if u all were allowed to trade without these rules u will have d customers u boast of?

Leave their laws for Dem, it has worked for Dem n borrow a leaf from the present oil gloth dat has force the price of crude oil down making even ur own country to lost its major source of income, because of how Saudi Arabia n Russia produced more oil n were ready to sell at any price

Don't b greedy my dear
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by ccffwx: 3:19pm On May 28, 2020
BigTableShaker:
You want to break the system abi?
You must be Igbo.
Ajegunle market is not Ariaria or Onitsha market pls.
SMH.

Violation of Rule 2 and this moniker wasn't banned.

She and the biased mods must be Yoruba. Oya let me see if I will be banned since we are all above the law. Mtscheeeew.
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by PharmD911: 3:28pm On May 28, 2020
[..
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by Arijude(m): 3:33pm On May 28, 2020
PharmD911:

Ghanaians made their trading law stricter cos of Igbo so it's not a Yoruba thing.
and what does that mean? They are just as afraid as you people when it comes to trade competition. They know Igbos are the main trade competitors in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by SarkinYarki: 3:33pm On May 28, 2020
Blessamaka:
My post might be lengthy but I'll try my best to be brief but please read to the end.

I'm in my early twenties (20's) and currently a student in one of the prestigious university in Nigeria.

Before I got admission, I usually help my mum to sell onions in Ajegunle market aka boundary market in Lagos State.

Ever since schools were shut down due to the pandemic I've been scared of helping my mum because of the despicable rules or laws guiding the business which i might not be able to keep to it thereby putting my mum in trouble and that's the only means of survival for me and mum for now.

My mum belongs to a group of people that sells same product and they are usually referred to as Union and the leaders are the one dishing out those annoying laws.

1. You don't buy more than the quantity of goods apportioned to you else you will be fined and suspended from selling but the so called leaders go contrary to these laws

2. They tell you when to buy goods i.e before buying new goods, you sell your old goods for 7days not minding if the quantity apportioned to you is enough or not. My self as a case study, we were apportioned 3 bags of onions and I sell 3 bags in 3 days so me and my mum would stay at home for 4days before going to buy new goods.

3. They tell you when to start selling which is 10:00am everyday excluding Sunday and this law was before the pandemic

4. They tell you how to sell i.e the size of onions you are to sell for a particular amount as if they borrowed you money or they are the one giving you money always to buy goods.

And many more of these unimaginable laws. Right now I confused! I don't know the best way to go about this and I really do wish to start selling because I'm broke and I've so many responsibilities to care for financially.

I need legal help, advice on how to go about this until I get something else to do or probably a work or a different business.

The reason for going into business is to make profit and save for rainy days but the reverse seems to be the case here.

This is where your education should come in ..Look for other way to sell in the four days you are free , you can talk to hotels and big restaurants that use a lot of onions
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by ASPIREX: 3:36pm On May 28, 2020
Blessamaka:

I read your write-up twice. I must say I am very impressed. There is yet hope for Nigeria.
While not advising you to fight an already entrenched process within such a system, I am of the opinion that you remain in the business and continue studying what is happening there.

One day you will see the right opportunity to strike and revolutionise how that particular commodity is sold in Boundary and indeed in Nigeria at large. Hopefully this will liberalise other segments and make the consumer king again after being sujected to these shenanigans and modern day Shylock's.

Another thing I would like to suggest to you is that you should expand your frontiers in Ajegunle and Boundary even up to coconut and then Apapa. You have a very thick population in that axis and people must eat. Fortunately, you have started learning the ropes of trade and commerce very early and in the very best of sectors too.

I have a proposition for you which will be sent to you by way of a recommendations, a business suggestion,a realistic plan and an effective strategy. I have sent you a pm.

Should this excite you then do respond and we take it up from there.

Only remote help please.

No physical meeting please.

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by PharmD911: 3:36pm On May 28, 2020
[.
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by Yankee101: 3:40pm On May 28, 2020
Start home delivery

Get all your customer's phone number as they come in. Print a business card with a designated business number and pass them out

It's an opportunity to expand to all types of fresh vegetables

Tell them you can deliver all types of fresh vegetables (and any other type of groceries you can easily get) and deliver within a radius

1. Use fixed max distance
2. Use minimum amount to spend to get home delivery
3. Add transport premium to total price
4. Quietly gather contacts and don't tell anyone lest they report you to the so called union

It's an opportunity, seize it

If you expand in the future and can handle large shipments from the North, let me know, I can link you up to get direct home delivered to you (large quantities only!)
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by masterflowx(m): 3:42pm On May 28, 2020
BigTableShaker:
You must be Igbo.
SMH.

I can see that you are a real table shaker for real... grin
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by oyiluck: 3:44pm On May 28, 2020
There is literally little or nothing u can do abt d rules but hw abt dissolving into two separate entities since u have sufficent knowledge abt it. From there u can operate as two but ideally operating as 1
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by eyinjuege: 4:03pm On May 28, 2020
Some good ideas here
Sell in another market
Online marketring- get on instagram, Facebook and start selling your product. Say you do home deliveries too. Shikena.
Look for another market to be buying yourbonions if they won't allow you buy for your online customers
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by kezy58: 4:10pm On May 28, 2020
benzene00:
do we look like onion sellers to you

You're Irredeemably stupid!...
keep shut if you can't help rather than show your stupidity to the world!

2 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by ghettochild(m): 4:11pm On May 28, 2020
The same alayabiagba market.... Hmmmm
Sister, anyway my mum has a shop there too n I was trained to the university from the proceeds from her business..
Everyone affected must form a coalition and revolts against those rules but first everyone affected must contact a lawyer... I know how this people are... I mean the leaders.. Selfish n self centered...
Anyways ya all b prepared for war sha..
Inbox me
+27737839889
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by ghettochild(m): 4:12pm On May 28, 2020
eyinjuege:
Some good ideas here
Sell in another market
Online marketring- get on instagram, Facebook and start selling your product. Say you do home deliveries too. Shikena.
Look for another market to be buying yourbonions if they won't allow you buy for your online customers
There's no other market.. This people ar so organized that... Those who sell by d roadside n are nt members, their goods are seized
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by AngusTV: 4:18pm On May 28, 2020
naijacutee:

Absolutely, and I agree with you. Tribalism is basic human instinct.

But has anything great been built on basic human instinct? It is a person's instinct to remain lazy in bed and not go to work, can they thrive by following instinct? It is a mans instinct to have reckless sex with multiple partners. With STIs everywhere, will they thrive? If someone is hungry and has no money, it is their basic instict to steal. Should they?

Has any great society been built by sitting down and letting basic instincts take over? All the great teachers - Jesus, Mohammed, Gandhi, Buddha, Mandela teach about denying our basic instincts as the route to greatness. To slap back when slapped is basic instinct and a society where 90% people follow basic instinct looks like Nigeria. Continue that way?

You are intelligent
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by dazsolution(m): 4:27pm On May 28, 2020
The problem is very common in the western part of Nigeria. Imagine woodsellers, nylon sellers, rice& beans sellers, charcoal selleers, pepper seller, grinding machine operators etc all have association with different rules of operation.
MY ADVICE: I gave a friend of mine this advice last year after graduation & it worked. I pray it work for you too.
Register your mum's business as SME. What gives the union the power is because they are registered as a business body, you can do the same. The only problem you may encounter is that of your source of supply. This means you should look for another supplier outside the market...
If not, you can come to the north. There freedom of trade here to some large extent. Anybody can sell anything.
This is just my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by lanchy: 4:35pm On May 28, 2020
The system is designed to regulate the price of onions, simple. It regulates the volume available and sets the price as well, thus controlling supply and thus being able to control prices.

In simple terms it is a cartel, you will know this if you go against it, they will ruin your business!! Your only way around it is to open new turfs (shops away from the cartel control), engage (register your own ghost members, that way they help you buy more) more underlings to be able to use them to buy more onions from the cartel and resell at the new turf.

Finally start stealing their customers, sell slightly cheaper (at first) at the new store and direct all customers there!!!!

Next find out their suppliers and cut them out!! Buy direct and in bulk.

After you succeed contact me, I will of course kneel and kiss your ring hand as you are on your way to being a don(na), capable of taking over their business after building market share.
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by abyus15: 4:45pm On May 28, 2020
It's not only in Lagos they make such silly laws its throughout all the south west states and somehow it looks absurd
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by otipoju(m): 5:05pm On May 28, 2020
benzene00:

Dont be silly!!!
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by Blessamaka(f): 5:05pm On May 28, 2020
madgoat:

How come u speak good English as an onions seller shocked

Truly you are a mad goat
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by webm: 5:14pm On May 28, 2020
BigTableShaker:
You must be Igbo.
SMH.

Can't you see that Ariaria or Onitsha market is for progress? How will people grow in this kind of system/laws? The reason there are many millionaires in Ariaria market or Onitsha market is that these kinds of rules don't exist there. You're allowed to grow more than anybody else if you can. That's how things should be.

You may think you're insulting Igbos but you're actually showing your ignorance of a working system. I bet you that those marketers won't grow an inch year to year. Very terrible!!

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by Legendguru: 5:42pm On May 28, 2020
Oh
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by seanjy4konji: 5:48pm On May 28, 2020
Saintinoo:

I stopped reading when i saw "one of the prestigous university in Nigeria"

what do you mean by that, no Nigerian university is prestigious.
please let's talk about onion...or gtfo
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by FGonline: 6:05pm On May 28, 2020
benzene00:
foolish animal,wasted sperm,agboro,idiot,monkey banana,ewe Gambia,atulu hausa,adamu,ona nihe
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by tasceige(m): 6:38pm On May 28, 2020
Connect the north, get your goods and product to your customers online and other location..
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by shumuel(m): 6:55pm On May 28, 2020
Blessamaka:

I guess these rules was put in place to allow equal opportunity for all, i believe the best option is to buy extra bags of Onions an sell at home during the remaining days, or you find another market you can sell when you have sold the ones you are allowed to sell at that market,, or find something else to sell for the remaining days

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by Dreamflyin(m): 7:22pm On May 28, 2020
Blessamaka:

This nonsense will only be possible in SouthWest markets. God! Are we in a socialist economy? What nonsense. No growth, no expansion, nothing. This is not business. It's isusu.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

CBN Suspends 19 Banks From Forex Sale To BDCs / Dangote Begins Installation Of Oil Refinery Equipment / Teju Ajani Appointed the Managing Director for Apple in Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.