Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,775 members, 7,875,931 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:52 AM

Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters - Crime (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters (77956 Views)

FBI Arrests Many Nigerian Fraudsters In US / White Man In Tears, Was Scammed By Nigerian Fraudsters / Finnish Policewoman Gets Scammed Of N73m By Nigerian Fraudsters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jun 16, 2020
joepepsy:
Prayer without work is dead.
That's why we are praying that The Most High should raise workers for the Country.
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by etrange: 11:10pm On Jun 16, 2020
Carlyboi:

Read my piece again bro....especially to the last word when I say America’s banking and financial institutions are weak and somewhat porous I have my reasons and if you’ve any idea on the different tricks and scheme used in perpetrating these crimes you’d agree...and in terms of support there’s no part in my piece where I supported internet fraud or these scammers I only said something bout the American system making it way easy for most of them and btw is wasn’t talking bout romance scam here.

I read to the end. I only had problems with the order of your presentation. It would have been better if you had criticised the crime and the criminals before calling out the limitations of the victim. But you called out the victim before going ahead to criticize the crime and the criminals. Like they say, we should chase away the kite before blaming the hen for exposing its chicks.

Back to your argument on the limitation of the US banking system being the reason for its predicament; fact is, majority of the scams targeted at the US from Africa are business or romance scams and, unless you have technical details, I'm vehemently disagreeing with the porosity of the American banking system being the reason behind the victimization of its people. I am into IT so I know there is always room for improvement but going by the data on ground, technical porosity is not the major issue here. I stay in North America. I've also stayed in Nigeria. American banks are more tech dependent than banks even in Asia so naturally, tech crimes are higher. But like I said, there are factors that kept them in this position and it's not because thier security outfit is weaker than that of other countries who are not targeted as much. Many other countries use banking technologies imported from the US. The reason the US is targeted is far more sociological than technical. I will give you five:

1) Social ties. America has more social ties with the rest of the world than any other country. Virtually all thier social media platforms are universally used. (Nigerians don't use QQ, the Chinese version of Facebook). This makes them more exposed.

2) Immigrant influx. Immigration comes with good and bad. The US has the highest number of immigrants in the world. It is also the first destination choice for Nigerians. Logically, the crimes from landed immigrants will be higher than in any other country.

3) Linguistics. We only have 6 countries in the world that speak English natively. For most cyber crimes to take place, a common language is needed. This makes the US one of the six most targeted countries by Nigeria cyber criminals. Other factors listed here make then stand out.

4) Currency strength. These scammers aim at missions with great revenue and scamming people off powerful currencies offer just that. Of the English speaking countries, the US has the second strongest currency.

5) Susceptibility. Like I said in my first post, the average tech user in the western world is more likely to fall for these scams than the Nigerian counterparts.

In summary, the US banks are not the safest in the world. It doesn't even come close those of Canada and Europe and like every other part of IT, there is room for improvement but the reason for the cyber crime victimization from Africa is less technical as the so called porosity is not to th extent where a 12 year old or (according to your first post) would easily break in.

The US has what I'd call a 'big country' issue.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jun 16, 2020
Goldenfinger:
...sir am interested throw more lite
It will shock you. Check this username Donnie , He post alot of truth about Our History that is hidden.
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by jaxxy(m): 11:13pm On Jun 16, 2020
EliteBiz:

Are they blacks It seems you don't know the curse on blacks, Go down the history lane, not the false history that the western world feeds the world, the true history, it is hidden. I am confidently telling you something is spiritual, but I sound dumb to you, I understand, its expected.

If u have facts about the black race not fiction spill it let’s hear it.

There nothing that makes the white man better than a black man. There is no curse. There has been oppression. There was a time black where more advanced from historic Egypt and Ethiopia. Blacks only fell back due to naivety and white oppression. Atleast that’s my assumption from the little history I know. I’m not sure the white were oppressed and enslaved as a race.

If a black can change his thinking and mentality he will do exactly and more than the white man. This is a fact.

History favored the whites they got the upper hand. That’s all.
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jun 16, 2020
bright007:
grin
American visa issuance to Nigerians just got more elusive.

Before they use to give one person in every 20 that visits. Now it will be one in a hundred.

Tueeer!

This country is a sshit hole
U can say that again and again
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by abiolaoladipupo(m): 11:14pm On Jun 16, 2020
DenreleDave:
Thank God no time to abuse igbo or Yoruba

If only Nigerians know the opportunities we are losing as a nation on the internet.
My frnd changed is ip address today and tried assessing online opportunities.. Coman see as opportunities plenty.

The most painful thing is that these opportunities ain't available to Nigerians... Nigerians are barred.. Ordinary south Africans can explore it
Meanwhile our people still praise fraudsters not knowing these people have tarnished our image outside.

I went to bank today to collect western union, just less than 30 dollars oo. Immediately I mentioned WU to the security men, see how they created chance for me among plenty crowd....

They think I am part of those yahoo boys.. Las Las I still settle them o coz they were asking for sumtin.. Anybody dt wants to collect WU is a gee boy for their face.. Chai naija

That's how my Aunt sent some money to my mom through Western Union ooo. Na so the mumu guy for bank cut 10,000 and gave me 27000 . I was shocked and showed him the receipt that was sent to me from America that everything is supposed to be 37,000 , then he said he has removed his share. Which share oga? I dey owe you money? Abi i resemble yahoo boy? If you no gemme my money now i go shout everybody go hear. Na so he pack all the money give me.
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jun 16, 2020
GidiWoodsMan:

Nigerians are GREEDY! The greedy behaviour is so normal among everyone these days and it's actually scary and unnatural at the same time!
Absolutely Correct
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by Nobody: 11:15pm On Jun 16, 2020
abiolaoladipupo:

That's how my Aunt sent some money to my mom through Western Union ooo. Na so the mumu guy for bank cut 10,000 and gave me 27000 . I was shocked and showed him the receipt that was sent to me from America that everything is supposed to be 37,000 , then he said he has removed his share. Which share oga? I dey owe you money? Abi i resemble yahoo boy? If you no gemme my money now i go shout everybody go hear. Na so he pack all the money give me.
Are you serious...?
Has it gotten to this LEVEL.. ?
Tell me more...
Chaiiiiii
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by GMBuhari: 11:16pm On Jun 16, 2020
so your suggestion is prayer ? how about rioting , revolution, mass abduction of politicians, forcing them to release their properties to the fg, lynching their relatives, and their enablers all over the country ?

This country does not need prayers, if that's what you needed over 5 million churches in a few states alone, God himself would have come down to settle the scores

What we need is a very revolution, bloodless or bloody , no matter how much you lie to yourself, Nigeria's problem is the kind of leaders we have

Yes, i am pro buhari and i am proud of that, but those who surround him are vultures

senators , HOR, Governors , aides, PA , heads of ministries , every political appointees are all enriching themselves

How much pallatives have you gotten so far ? our resources , national wealth is enough to make Dubai envy Nigeria , but no , one person stole $20Billion plus and bought citizenship of a country who doesn't extradite it's citizens

Your law makers, your so call economic and financial crimes comission, your ICPC , your airlines , your police force , your customs / border patrol ,
all have failed you because once palms are greased mouths are shut

CORRUPTION OF YOUR ELITES is why YOUTHS ARE COMMITTING CRIMES TO THIS LEVEL

EliteBiz:
Firstly - Cyber crime (yahoo yahoo) can't stop in Nigeria, obviously.

Secondly - There will gradually be more restrictions and harsh treatment on Nigerians all over the world.

Thirdly - Nigeria as a country is currently at the edge of collapse (Economy, Security, Terrorism infact everything...... Everything about Nigeria is going backwards on a fast speed).

In conclusion - The Problem of Nigeria is Nigerians and not only leaders. We are our own problem. Truth is bitter. GREED is in the soul of 99% of Nigerians at the moment.

Solution - This country needs serious prayers, spiritual aide, physical realm can't handle nigeria's issue at the moment. If you can pray, please let us pray, Nigeria's issue is beyond physical, it is grace that we receive that we never collapse, sincerely. Pray for your country!

And for those calling for split, be aware that if that occurs, it can't happen peaceful, people will die. Pray

Nigeria should have ruined a long time, it is the little prayers that is buying time, The spiritual controls the physical. Now, more prayers are needed, sadly, People don't believe in prayers anymore, sincerely, please Pray!
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by CanadaOrBust: 11:18pm On Jun 16, 2020
EliteBiz:

Nigeria(most blacks) is a spiritual nation, go and check your history. Values and all will start from within. The Spiritual controls the physical. Research.

I keep seeing this “the Spiritual controls the physical” everywhere. Please what proof do u have about that sir? Can u please give us a solid example where the spiritual controlled the physical. Or we should believe it simply because it sounds nice? All evidence around us suggest that the physical controls the physical, though the spiritual can sometimes have impact. We are now dealing with corona, eventually what will ameliorate it is physical vaccine, just as was the case with other pandemics. We were defeated and colonized by Europe because they had better physical power - guns. Same way WW2 was won - physical atomic bomb. Etc. If u have equivalents of these vis a vis spiritual, please present them.

1 Like

Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jun 16, 2020
GMBuhari:
so your suggestion is prayer ? how about rioting , revolution, mass abduction of politicians, forcing them to release their properties to the fg, lynching their relatives, and their enablers all over the country ?

This country does not need prayers, if that's what you needed over 5 million churches in a few states alone, God himself would have come down to settle the scores

What we need is a very revolution, bloodless or bloody , no matter how much you lie to yourself, Nigeria's problem is the kind of leaders we have

Yes, i am pro buhari and i am proud of that, but those who surround him are vultures

senators , HOR, Governors , aides, PA , heads of ministries , every political appointees are all enriching themselves

How much pallatives have you gotten so far ? our resources , national wealth is enough to make Dubai envy Nigeria , but no , one person stole $20Billion plus and bought citizenship of a country who doesn't extradite it's citizens

Your law makers, your so call economic and financial crimes comission, your ICPC , your airlines , your police force , your customs / border patrol ,
all have failed you because once palms are greased mouths are shut

CORRUPTION OF YOUR ELITES is why YOUTHS ARE COMMITTING CRIMES TO THIS LEVEL

You have tangible points, I agree. But my friend, There is a difference between religion and Prayer. I am not a fan of religion. True, Corruption of Elites, do you think the Elites can be defeated, lol, its their world my friend, They are in charge because they serve the ruler of this world system. I stick to buying time through prayers so some good deeds can occur and some eyes open. I hope u understand me.
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by DenreleDave(m): 11:23pm On Jun 16, 2020
abiolaoladipupo:

Imagine
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jun 16, 2020
CanadaOrBust:

I keep seeing this “the Spiritual controls the physical” everywhere. Please what proof do u have about that sir? Can u please give us a solid example where the spiritual controlled the physical. Or we should believe it simply because it sounds nice? All evidence around us suggest that the physical controls the physical, though the spiritual can sometimes have impact. We are now dealing with corona, eventually what will ameliorate it is physical vaccine, just as was the case with other pandemics. We were defeated and colonized by Europe because they had better physical power - guns. Same way WW2 was won - physical atomic bomb. Etc. If u have equivalents of these vis a vis spiritual, please present them.
I like you, You explained your words well. But this is where wisdom is, The things we can see with our eyes (Physical realm) is just 1% of the whole package. The spiritual is the real deal. Let me ask u a question, if you decide to steal money tomorrow, where is the thought gonna come from? Answer me
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by DenreleDave(m): 11:24pm On Jun 16, 2020
abiolaoladipupo:

gringringringringrin
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by Carlyboi(m): 11:25pm On Jun 16, 2020
etrange:

I read to the end. I only had problems with the order of your presentation. It would have been better if you had criticised the crime and the criminals before calling out the limitations of the victim. But you called out the victim before going ahead to criticize the crime and the criminals. Like they say, we should chase away the kite before blaming the hen for exposing its chicks.

Back to your argument on the limitation of the US banking system being the reason for its predicament; fact is, majority of the scams targeted at the US from Africa are business or romance scams and, unless you have technical details, I'm vehemently disagreeing with the porosity of the American banking system being the reason behind the victimization of its people. I am into IT so I know there is always room for improvement but going by the data on ground, technical porosity is not the major issue here. I stay in North America. I've also stayed in Nigeria. American banks are more tech dependent than banks even in Asia so naturally, tech crimes are higher. But like I said, there are factors that kept them in this position and it's not because thier security outfit is weaker than that of other countries who are not targeted as much. Many other countries use banking technologies imported from the US. The reason the US is targeted is far more sociological than technical. I will give you five:

1) Social ties. America has more social ties with the rest of the world than any other country. Virtually all thier social media platforms are universally used. (Nigerians don't use QQ, the Chinese version of Facebook). This makes them more exposed.

2) Immigrant influx. Immigration comes with good and bad. The US has the highest number of immigrants in the world. It is also the first destination choice for Nigerians. Logically, the crimes from landed immigrants will be higher than in any other country.

3) Linguistics. We only have 6 countries in the world that speak English natively. For most cyber crimes to take place, a common language is needed. This makes the US one of the six most targeted countries by Nigeria cyber criminals. Other factors listed here make then stand out.

4) Currency strength. These scammers aim at missions with great revenue and scamming people off powerful currencies offer just that. Of the English speaking countries, the US has the second strongest currency.

5) Susceptibility. Like I said in my first post, the average tech user in the western world is more likely to fall for these scams than the Nigerian counterparts.

In summary, the US banks are not the safest in the world. It doesn't even come close those of Canada and Europe and like every other part of IT, there is room for improvement but the reason for the cyber crime victimization from Africa is less technical as the so called porosity is not to th extent where a 12 year old or (according to your first post) would easily break in.

The US has what I'd call a 'big country' issue.

I agree with some of the things you said and as for the factors you listed every educated,enlightened and exposed person knows some of those are highly probable reasons for the US been the biggest or worst hit but like I opined you also later agreed maybe reluctantly that their Banking and financial institutions and systems aren’t among the most secured in the world and for a country which has not billions of dollars to cyber crime and internet fraud related activities say for the last 30yrs they need to absolutely do better...if the security is tightened it would be a lot harder for these boys to keep emptying the wallets of average Americans.

Trust me right now those boys are having a free passage and making a killing for their illicit and heinous crimes and also maybe public sensitization would do a lot of good for their citizens generally especially in situations whereby the victims release their personal info and banking info card details to these fraudsters for whatever reasons not that they were stolen or hacked.
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by mordred44: 11:26pm On Jun 16, 2020
Gee boys and bad leaders is tarnishing naija image
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by ospreywin(m): 11:28pm On Jun 16, 2020
The image is already tarnished, nothing else.
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jun 16, 2020
mordred44:
Gee boys and bad leaders is tarnishing naija image
The UK will soon Ban us.
They are making arrangements towards that.
It was said early this year before CORONA became overwhelming
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by abbiboy: 11:30pm On Jun 16, 2020
EliteBiz:

Secondly - There will gradually be more restrictions and harsh treatment on Nigerians all over the world.

Thirdly - Nigeria as a country is currently at the edge of collapse (Economy, Security, Terrorism infact everything...... Everything about Nigeria is going backwards on a fast speed).

In conclusion - The Problem of Nigeria is Nigerians and not only leaders. We are our own problem. Truth is bitter. GREED is in the soul of 99% of Nigerians at the moment.

Solution - This country needs serious prayers, spiritual aide, physical realm can't handle nigeria's issue at the moment. If you can pray, please let us pray, Nigeria's issue is beyond physical, it is grace that we receive that we never collapse, sincerely. Pray for your country!

And for those calling for split, be aware that if that occurs, it can't happen peaceful, people will die. Pray

Nigeria should have ruined a long time, it is the little prayers that is buying time, The spiritual controls the physical. Now, more prayers are needed, sadly, People don't believe in prayers anymore, sincerely, please Pray!

Oga nigerians problem is not spiritual u lazy people should allow God to rest in his heavenly abode.
Inbtw ur counterpart in other climes jail this miscreants perpetually in prison foreva more until sanity is restored in the system.
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by nextstep(m): 11:34pm On Jun 16, 2020
Please also US should use their tools to investigate their own citizens. USA remains the #1 hot spot for fraud.... $1.9billion in 2019 alone:

https://www.aarp.org/money/scams-fraud/info-2020/ftc-fraud-complaints-rise.html

Let that sink in. Oyinbos - living in a rich country with all services provided - are defrauding each other to the tune of 1.9 billion dollars. Yet it's the small small naija criminals that make the headlines. Where are the articles and statements from the Secretary about home-grown forgery, grand larceny, Ponzi schemes, as well as misdeeds in its own banking and investment sectors?
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by abbiboy: 11:37pm On Jun 16, 2020
mosegifted:
Somebody should please tell this man to STFU, check the statistics of black hackers around the world you will see USA and RUSSIAN toping the list, you see this guys hack into people's emails to extract classified information and the rest of them, is there any fraud bigger than that

Its because we have mumu govt officials that done knw their left from right and allow any nation to tag us fraudsters by the time we strt issuing foreign govts warning concern such that is when they will desist from this rubbish.Na our useless govt cause am.
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by abiolaoladipupo(m): 11:37pm On Jun 16, 2020
EVILFOREST:

Are you serious...?
Has it gotten to this LEVEL.. ?
Tell me more...
Chaiiiiii

I was surprised he treated me like dangote's pikin and he demanded for my whatsapp number while he was attending to me , never knew he wants me to be his new customer. Cus i asked within myself what for? Why is this one asking for my whatsapp number . But i Shocked him when i told him to give me my money or i shout so everyone could know what was going on between us. I told him I'll have to decide either to give you money or not , no be everybody wey dey use WS be yahoo boy. I believe he'll never try it with someone else ever again in his life.
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by mordred44: 11:38pm On Jun 16, 2020
EVILFOREST:

The UK will soon Ban us.
They are making arrangements towards that.
It was said early this year before CORONA became overwhelming
i won't be surprise if that happens
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by Crispels(m): 11:40pm On Jun 16, 2020
VirginSearcher:
Crime is not specific to we Nigerians alone even though I know say we no dey try, however if the system was good it wouldn't have been so bad like this

False. Many Nigerians will claim that bad leadership and unemployment in Nigeria is responsible for high rate of cybercrime among young Nigerians but I beg to differ. Take these idiotic young guys to California and they will rather scam than work! I live in the US and I’m talking based on experience. The major issue here is greed, covetousness and a lack of patience. There are many people abroad - where the system works and they have access to jobs. Yet, many of them refused to work legally but chose to toe the path of internet fraud. Why? Because they want to ride flashy Benz cars, buy expensive stuff and live an underserved luxury life. Life is a process. You can’t expect yourself to start today and get there tomorrow. Things take time - hard work, failures, more work and perseverance. And the worse part is that Nigerians are ignoring the harm being done to the country. Nigerians need to stop celebrating and glorifying cybercriminals. Those guys are ruining the image of the country.

2 Likes

Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by DexterousOne(m): 11:42pm On Jun 16, 2020
abiolaoladipupo:

Hahahaha

Bad person
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by Nairalandmonika: 11:42pm On Jun 16, 2020
EliteBiz:

U were making sense until u said Nigeria need serious prayers.
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by CanadaOrBust: 11:43pm On Jun 16, 2020
EliteBiz:

I like you, You explained your words well. But this is where wisdom is, The things we can see with our eyes (Physical realm) is just 1% of the whole package. The spiritual is the real deal. Let me ask u a question, if you decide to steal money tomorrow, where is the thought gonna come from? Answer me

Sir, these are not semantics. I gave you SOLID EXAMPLES not questions. Reciprocate with solid examples. Something like, when the Europeans wanted to defeat Benin Kingdom they offered up very powerful prayers until the kingdom fell. Or in case of a pandemic, all the babalawos, pastors, and imams converged and kept offering incantations and prayers until the virus miraculously disappeared

1 Like

Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jun 16, 2020
Nairalandmonika:

U were making sense until u said Nigeria need serious prayers.
Share your solution
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by Litmus: 11:45pm On Jun 16, 2020
[quote author=Angelfrost post=90746113]
Excuses as usual... The system is worse in some other countries, but their citizens don't indulge in internet fraud!!!

'but their citizens don't indulge in internet fraud!!', you say but is internet fraud the worst type of fraud?

Our values are poor and immoral as a society, nation, and people...
'I wonder what poor and immoral values your parents thought you.

We give undue honor to wealthy people regardless of their sources of wealth.
I would argue that it’s good for Nigeria that the people honour the wealthy; besides the fact that this has its origin in our traditional cultures, the doing encourages thrift instead of envy. It borders on envy being preoccupied by people’s source of wealth.

We don't acknowledge the value of honesty and integrity!!!
I suspect that outside your narrow circle of dishonest and disreputable acquaintances majority of Nigerians value honesty and integrity
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by DexterousOne(m): 11:45pm On Jun 16, 2020
Crispels:

False. Many Nigerians will claim that bad leadership and unemployment in Nigeria is responsible for high rate of cybercrime among young Nigerians but that’s not true. Take these idiotic young guys to California and they will rather scam than work! I live in the US and I’m talking based on experience. The major issue here is greed, covetousness and a lack of patience. There are many people abroad - where the system works and they have access to jobs. Yet, they refused to work legally but chose to toe the path of internet fraud. Why? Because they want to ride Benz, buy expensive stuff and live an underserved luxury life. Life is a process. You can’t expect yourself to start today and get there tomorrow. Things take time. And the worse part is that Nigerians don’t the harm being done to the country. Nigerians need to stop celebrating and glorifying cybercriminals
. Those guys are ruining the image of the country.

Well said

It's the glorification of fraudsters in our society that really soiled our name

Not really the fraud in itself

Elsewhere
Even if you are a crininal
You make effort to launder your image

Cos the society will frown on you

But in naija
Opposite
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by etrange: 11:47pm On Jun 16, 2020
Carlyboi:

I agree with some of the things you said and as for the factors you listed every educated,enlightened and exposed person knows some of those are highly probable reasons for the US been the biggest or worst hit but like I opined you also later agreed maybe reluctantly that their Banking and financial institutions and systems aren’t among the most secured in the world and for a country which has not billions of dollars to cyber crime and internet fraud related activities say for the last 30yrs they need to absolutely do better...if the security is tightened it would be a lot harder for these boys to keep emptying the wallets of average Americans.

Trust me right now those boys are having a free passage and making a killing for their illicit and heinous crimes and also maybe public sensitization would do a lot of good for their citizens generally especially in situations whereby the victims release their personal info and banking info card details to these fraudsters for whatever reasons not that they were stolen or hacked.

Get me, I am not defending the US (I don't even stay in the US). So I wouldn't be reluctant to point out thier flaws. I am only concerned on the focus cause collectively speaking, if we keep blaming tech, we may never address the real issues. You said it yourself the, a lot of funds are already going into tech but the crime rate keeps going up. You think it is due to lack of competency? No, it is because these other sociological factors are now playing more prominent roles. The US banks are not as safe as the European banks but they are far safer than the Asian, African, Oceanian and South American banks. Yet they are more targeted than all these other places, why? If anything, this shows that the crux of the solution has, over time, drifted away from tech. Also don't lose sight of the fact that the superiority of the European banks is majorly based on process engineering and not necessarily technology.

So while I agree they will always be room to do better. I think a good deal of the "better" is not necessarily in tech cause the tech is here is not as lightweight as you opined. I have seen the strongest of technologies helpless in the face of systematic loopholes. The two extra things the US needs at this point, in my opinion, are process re-engineering and public sensitisation.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The Police Squad Who Tracked Down Vampire And Killed The Notorious Criminal (Pic / Nigerian Yahoo Boy Arrested In Kenya Cries (Photos) / Lady Kills Her Boyfriend In Uyo After Sex, Absconds With His Benz (Graphic Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.