Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,130 members, 7,949,891 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 10:12 PM

EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG (1302 Views)

Yemi Adenuga: Irish People Attack Nigerian Vying For Post / Unveiling Ex-military Officers Vying For Governorship, Senate Seats / African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-iweala From Vying For WTO Director (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by Nemere2020: 10:27am On Jun 18, 2020
The African Union has disqualified Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala from vying for the office of the Director General of the World Trade Organisation, SaharaReporters has exclusively gathered.

In July 2019, the Executive Council of the AU invited member states to present nominations into the office of the DG of the WTO so that the AU would agree on a consensus candidature.

Nigeria initially nominated Fedrick Agah while Benin and Egypt fielded Messrs Eloi Laourou and Abdulhameed Mamdouh respectively.

On June 4, 2020, Nigeria withdrew the nomination of Fedrick Agah and replaced him with Okonjo-Iweala.

However, in a document from the Office of the Legal Counsel of the African Union, Reference Number: BC/OLC/24/5056.20 dated June 15, 2020 and sighted by SaharaReporters, the African Union says the nomination of Okonjo-Iweala violates Rule (11), 1, 2 and 3, Rule 12 and Rule 15(3) of the rules of procedure of the committee on candidatures within the International System of the AU as well as Council's Decisions Ex CI 1072 (XXXV), Ec CI Dec 1090 (XXXVI) and Assembly Dec 795 (XXXIII).

The AU says its Executive Council had endorsed the nominations of Fedrick Agah, Eloi Laourou and Abdulhameed Mamdouh before Nigeria sought to substitute its nomination.

Meanwhile, the council's endorsement was for the nominees in person and not for their countries.

In addition, the AU says Nigeria's new nomination of Okonjo-Iweala did not meet the submission deadline and there are no more vacancies into, which Nigeria can make nomination.

The AU wrote, "It is a recognised principle of international law that a sovereign state has the right to substitute and replace a nomination of its citizens as it may wish for a position.

"However, the sovereign right does not endow that state any right to change existing rules, relevant decisions of the Executive Council and decisions of the ther policy organs of the union. A decision of the Executive Council should only be changed by another decision of the council not by any member state and a decision of the Assembly should be changed by a decision of the Assembly not by a member state."
Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by jidamsel43(m): 10:28am On Jun 18, 2020
You mean our own Okonjo -Iweala.

Anyway, it's glaring that Nigeria always tarry before taking decision. It is not the fault of our leaders but the fault of all Nigerians.

Nigerians leaders are not from heaven . The masses are the way their leaders are.
Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by Mrkcee(m): 10:29am On Jun 18, 2020
Na wa o
Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by Nigeriabiafra80: 10:29am On Jun 18, 2020
Lol
My sister,I thank God for u
Buhari would have use you to borrow ooff Nigeria from world map and label you corrupt
Thank God,
Our plan for you is greater than that position,after you would have been our next president

2 Likes

Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by Nemere2020: 10:30am On Jun 18, 2020
Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by seunmsg(m): 10:31am On Jun 18, 2020
Can AU stop her from contesting?
Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by JeffreyD1(m): 10:31am On Jun 18, 2020
Buhari and i are shocked by AU action

Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by Poloyanabo2(m): 10:31am On Jun 18, 2020
seunmsg:
Can AU stop her from contesting?
It seems they can!
Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by Cyberterror: 10:32am On Jun 18, 2020
Gambari's move failed.
Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by BlowYourMind: 10:32am On Jun 18, 2020
It don happen
Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by omoiyamayor(m): 10:34am On Jun 18, 2020
Nigeriabiafra80:
Lol
Buhari would have use you to borrow ooff Nigeria from world map and label you corrupt
Thank God,
Our plan for you is greater than that position,after you would have been our next president
she would have thought of that before accepting the nomination
Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by Racoon(m): 10:34am On Jun 18, 2020
The substitution window was still open then so what is the problem? This is just an AU underground Diplomatic schemings.

1 Like

Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by proeast(m): 10:35am On Jun 18, 2020
Look at how Egypt is running the AU like it's a ministry in Cairo yet some zombies still believe Nigeria is the giant of Africa.

Just imagine their useless excuse. Well, they have lost their best opportunity of taking the post because Ngozi Okonjo Iweala is their best chance of clinching it.

Dark continent cry

1 Like

Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by Ayekotoo(m): 10:35am On Jun 18, 2020
I don't believe this. Let me check France24 for more updates.
Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by Nobody: 10:38am On Jun 18, 2020
With the way she ran Nigeria's economy aground, she's probably not qualified anyway.

If we have to put a southeasterner there, I'd have preferred Soludo.

But it's obviously too late anyway.

Ngozi Okonjo Iweala should pay for messing up Nigeria's economy as the coordinating minister of the economy under kleptomaniac Good luck Jonathan.

1 Like

Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by Fuckalldmods(f): 10:49am On Jun 18, 2020
Hmm
Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by longetivity(m): 11:08am On Jun 18, 2020
i blame buhari for this
Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by gambia(m): 11:15am On Jun 18, 2020
Do they have the power to do such?
Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by Nobody: 11:20am On Jun 18, 2020
TripleOh7:
With the way she ran Nigeria's economy aground, she's probably not qualified anyway.

Ngozi Okonjo Iweala should pay for messing up Nigeria's economy as the coordinating minister of the economy under kleptomaniac Good luck Jonathan.

Doubt if your mom could write her name let alone in two-life time achieve half of what Ngozi has achieved, you are here casting aspersions to her person.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by Asgard13: 11:37am On Jun 18, 2020
TripleOh7:

If we have to put a southeasterner there, I'd have preferred ?Soludo.

Where’s haunty kemi?
Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by seunmsg(m): 11:37am On Jun 18, 2020
Poloyanabo2:

It seems they can!

I don’t think so. Age can contest without the support of AU.
Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by Asgard13: 11:38am On Jun 18, 2020
Yoruba’s already celebrating cool

Sick country
Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 11:42am On Jun 18, 2020
Nigeriabiafra80:
Lol
Thank God,
After you guys have finished pounding your chests when you heard she's been nominated
Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by SaintBeehot(m): 11:43am On Jun 18, 2020
Racoon:
The substitution window was still open then so what is the problem? This is just an AU underground Diplomatic schemings.
AU also has Protocols and law which must be followed in order to strengthen the cooperataion between it member state.
Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 11:44am On Jun 18, 2020
heldcloser:

Doubt if your mom could write her name let alone in two-life time achieve half of what Ngozi has achieved, you are here casting aspersions to her person.
Using your logic,you should stop doing same to Buhari too

1 Like

Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 11:46am On Jun 18, 2020
Not surprised
Yoruba's are always the first in everything positive
Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by SaintBeehot(m): 11:46am On Jun 18, 2020
TripleOh7:

this your Bigotry is on another level, Nigeria is in consideration here and not any region in Nigeria.
Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by SaintBeehot(m): 11:55am On Jun 18, 2020
seunmsg:

I don’t think so. Age can contest without the support of AU.
what they're trying to do here is; trying to strengthen the relation between their members. Egypt won't be happy if she get elected, they'd think Nigeria is trying to play a fast one.
Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jun 18, 2020
SaintBeehot:
this your Bigotry is on another level, Nigeria is in consideration here and not any region in Nigeria.

Take a deep breath, drink some iced tea (water will do), and re-read what I posted there.

Hopefully your bigoted mind will allow you see that there's no bigotry in that post of mine.
Re: EXCLUSIVE: African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-Iweala From Vying For WTO DG by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jun 18, 2020
[s]
Asgard13:

Where’s haunty kemi?

[/s]

(1) (2) (Reply)

“KILL ARMY OFFICERS WHEREVER YOU SEE THEM" NNAMDI KANU ORDERS IPOB MEMBERS AUDIO / Nigerian Navy_ For Fishermen & Pirates / Let Us Talk Cows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.