Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,814 members, 7,872,709 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 08:25 PM

Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State (8737 Views)

Any Southern Nigerian Voting A P C Needs To Be Examined / Yoruba Unity Forum To Host Southern Nigerian Peoples Confab / How Come Southern Nigerian Marry White People. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ShangoThor(m): 11:23pm On Jan 26, 2011
[size=20pt]Solution precis - Last Option B - Creation of Southern Nigerian State[/size]

[size=15pt]Once again, tribalism is for primitive minds, there are no major differences in our DNA.[/size]

A proposal to form a State consisting of a massive Christian block, a tolerant Polity and Society toward the more progressive Muslims
of the South and traditional religions.

It would range from Lagos and the Benin Republic border in the West to the Cameroon border in the East. It would also extend to
parts of Kwara in the North and spread across parts of the Middle Belt up to Jos.

The peoples of the middle belt would have a choice via a a "UN sponsored referendum" regarding which part of the country they
would like to Join and the secession of Southern Nigeria.

Ironically, the push for the implementation of Sharia Law in some Northern States might have made the Job easier (map included below).

We can relinquish control of, or claims to Abuja, or split it depending on the wishes of the indigenes (even though Abuja is well planned
and modern, we would be able to do better, in the South).

The New country of Southern Nigeria could be called something else (because I believe so much irreparable damage has been done to Nigeria
that it can't be successfully rebranded).

The setup of the New State would ensure that no single Polity or Group of peoples would dominate and ensure minorities will never be dominated
by implementing Political and Economic Structural changes in the State (True Federalism, Separation of Powers
Independence of the Judiciary, Rule of Law, Transparent Government, Independent and entrenched Taxation body with published figures.

In addition, the economy has to be restructured. We inherited from our colonial vampires a system where we were only allowed to
export raw materials and not refined or manufactured products, (check out the history of the World Trade Agreement), this was the policy
throughout the Empire, and the policy has just been reversed recently under the Obama US Administration. Furthermore, we have a system
where the FG at the centre controls all resources and mineral rights in individual states, and the main focus or emphasis is based on
"Distribution" as opposed to "Production", the distribution of the receipts of mineral or resource sales to all the individual States.
This encourages apathy, greed and lazyness. If the FG were to serve the role as a massive Welfare state, some of the payments should go
directly to individual citizens to alleviate poverty and not to pot-bellied politicians. I do not believe in freebies,
the emphasis should be changed to that of "Production", that's the only way that we can create wealth in the country, a surplus thus
taking advantage of our massive population. A massive population by the way is only advantageous if they are productive.

Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ShangoThor(m): 11:26pm On Jan 26, 2011
[size=20pt]Comprehensive detailed Solution[/size]

The ideal solution (which assumes that we are in control of the situation), is to employ different approaches to attaining
'True Federalism' within the borders of Nigeria, the State as it currently exists, where total control is relinquished to
the invidual States on financial, indigenous, mineral resource issues amongst others (loads of detail which can be debated to be discussed here).

The State itself would have to be restructured too with regards to constitutional principles, 'Separation of Powers' with a strong and
independent 'Judiciary' and completely based on the 'rule of law' and guaranteed transparency entrenched by law (Freedom of Information Act);
Independent and entrenched Taxation body with published figures

The problem we have at the moment is that the Majority of Nigerians have completely lost confidence in the apparatus of the State.
This single fact is counter-productive and killing the 'Stake Holding' relationship between the State and her citizens and cannot be simply
argued away by those in favour of 'inaction' or the 'status quo'.

In addition, the economy has to be restructured. We inherited from our colonial vampires a system where we were only allowed to
export raw materials and not refined or manufactured products, (check out the history of the World Trade Agreement), this was the policy
throughout the Empire, and the policy has just been reversed recently under the Obama US Administration. Furthermore, we have a system
where the FG at the centre controls all resources and mineral rights in individual states, and the main focus or emphasis is based on
"Distribution" as opposed to "Production", the distribution of the receipts of mineral or resource sales to all the individual States.
This encourages apathy, greed and lazyness. If the FG were to serve the role as a massive Welfare state, some of the payments should go
directly to individual citizens to alleviate poverty and not to pot-bellied politicians. I do not believe in freebies,
the emphasis should be changed to that of "Production", that's the only way that we can create wealth in the country, a surplus thus
taking advantage of our massive population. A massive population by the way is only advantageous if they are productive.

What methods should we employ in order to implement such Political and Economic structural change in the polity??

Organize, collaborate and cooperate, grassroots action, for the purpose of starting a 'Petition', collect signatures all over Nigeria,
(particualrly Southern Nigeria) and the diaspora by using the internet, digital media and other methods, this can be used to embarass
the Government internally, abroad amongst the Western Media (because its time to use them). In relation to Jos and the implication
of "State sponsored murders", we would be able to use such a petition to take action against or sue the FG at the International Court of Justice,
Hague for the dereliction of duties to her citizens regarding guaranteeing human rights and property.

We would lobby all the Super Powers,
and present it to the UN, which would eventually pave the way for a "UN sponsored referendum" regarding the secession of
Southern Nigeria (OPTION B).

(OPTION B).

If structural changes mentioned above cannot be achieved because our Northern Countrymen block this (after all it would force them to
make their citizens productive), then we would have to push the UN to conduct a "UN sponsored referendum"
regarding the secession of Southern Nigeria (OPTION B). The formation of Southern Nigeria would be a lot more successful if we
enshrined all of the principles mentioned above under a 'Secular Constitution').

Most importantly, the formation of 'Southern Nigeria' (could be called something else) would receive the backing of all the
'Major World Powers', whilst China would sit on the fence.

[size=20pt]Once again, tribalism is for primitive minds, there are no major differences in our DNA.[/size]
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ezeagu(m): 11:31pm On Jan 26, 2011
Option B - Give me an Igbo state or leave Nigeria as it is.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ShangoThor(m): 11:49pm On Jan 26, 2011
ezeagu:

Option B - Give me an Igbo state or leave Nigeria as it is.

Five reasons discerning the non-feasability of a Strong centred Eastern (Igbo) state.

1. The lack of support for its creation by the International Community and International bodies such as the UN.

2. The lack of a general consensus amongst the majority of their populace to secede.

3. Minorities to be encorporated within the State might not want to be.

4. It is not in the ethnic character of its peoples to form large States, Kingdoms, or Empires.

5. The creation of such a State might end up counter productive to their economic interests by curtailing or confining
trade activities within the confines of the newly created State and might leave the State land locked if certain minority
communities disagree about being encoporated into such a State.

This is a rational discussion and debate, I would like to hear counter arguments.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ezeagu(m): 12:26am On Jan 27, 2011
ShangoThor:

Five reasons discerning the non-feasability of a Strong centred Eastern (Igbo) state.

1. The lack of support for its creation by the International Community and International bodies such as the UN.

So why would they support 'Southern Nigeria'?

ShangoThor:

2. The lack of a general consensus amongst the majority of their populace to secede.

How do you know this?

ShangoThor:

There are no minorities, it's an Igbo state.

ShangoThor:

4. It is not in the ethnic character of its peoples to form large States, Kingdoms, or Empires.

First of all what does this have to do with the present? Second of all you're wrong, and lastly what do you judge as a 'large' state, kingdom, or empire?

ShangoThor:

5. The creation of such a State might end up counter productive to their economic interests by curtailing or confining
trade activities within the confines of the newly created State

Why and how?

ShangoThor:

and might leave the State land locked if certain minority

If every Igbo community from Owerre and southwards somehow votes out of the Igbo state, it still will not be land locked.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ShangoThor(m): 12:35am On Jan 27, 2011
ezeagu:

So why would they support 'Southern Nigeria'?

How do you know this?

There are no minorities, it's an Igbo state.

First of all what does this have to do with the present? Second of all you're wrong, and lastly what do you judge as a 'large' state, kingdom, or empire?

Why and how?

If every Igbo community from Owerre and southwards somehow votes out of the Igbo state, it still will not be land locked.

Interesting answers, I'd be interested to hear what other Igbo personalities on this board have to say.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by fstranger1: 2:19am On Jan 27, 2011
You two are fools!
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by PhysicsMHD(m): 2:29am On Jan 27, 2011
This Shango Thor is starting to spam.

What's the point of raving about secession all over nairaland? Are forumites going to storm Aso Rock? Are all these on-line political manifestos going to reach anybody in a position to do anything in real life.

Find work, buddy .
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ifele(m): 2:41am On Jan 27, 2011
This is my proposal. Let Yorubas and all Southerners secede from Nigeria. For them to do this effectively they must

form a military alliance. A cooperative of some sort to take down the Northerners. Right now, militarily the

Northerners have some advantages over the South. For instance they have more military bases and combatants

especially JTF units in the Delta. A Southern alliance can effectively take out Nigerian forces if they get help from the

Super-Power(US, UK, Europe). But what will we give the Super-Powers in return for their help. Who knows, maybe

land and oil. In Nigeria there can never be a peaceful secession. There will be war for sure. And this would be very
dangerous for human lives. Revolutions leads to war. Revolutions and Wars have to planned carefully or else they
will fail. Biafran Civil War is a good example.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by Obiagu1(m): 3:54am On Jan 27, 2011
ShangoThor:

trade activities within the confines of the newly created State
and might leave the State land locked if certain minority

This is a rational discussion and debate, I would like to hear counter arguments.

The bolded is a valid point and I hate to say this, the East is too small for the very migrant Igbos.

Give me Southern Nigeria, Biafra or Alaigbo, I'll take any of those but the most feasible is Southern Nigeria.

@ PhysicQED, If you haven't seen the light now and realise that Nigeria is not a way forward, then something is fundamentally wrong.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ezeagu(m): 4:03am On Jan 27, 2011
Obiagu1:

The bolded is a valid point and I hate to say this, the East is too small for the very migrant Igbos.

No one is actually explaining that point along with how a 'Southern Nigeria' will solve the problem. How will an Igbo state (with other countries formed out of Nigeria) mean that the Igbo can no longer migrate. After you all have explained this explain to me how Southern Nigeria will make this impossible.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by Obiagu1(m): 4:18am On Jan 27, 2011
ezeagu:

No one is actually explaining that point along with how a 'Southern Nigeria' will solve the problem. How will an Igbo state (with other countries formed out of Nigeria) mean that the Igbo can no longer migrate. After you all have explained this explain to me how Southern Nigeria will make this impossible.

The scenerio is this: If we have only Alaigbo, then that is the only territory we can trade freely without fear of waking up one day and see/hear strange policies that will either force us to leave or make our lives miserable/harder. Ghana, Cameroon, etc can change policies and you'll see us returning back home from those countries.

With S. Nigeria, we have a bigger territory to operate without fear of tomorrow or strange policies targeted at us, bigger population and bigger and secured market to trade. Nigeria doesn't work because Northerners are murderers and no one will like to stay forever with murderers.

S. Nigeria gives us more room and more diversity, moreover, majority are christians.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by Becomrichn: 4:20am On Jan 27, 2011
good lucky, we Yoruba just want to join Benin republic. Ok. good lucky in your dream world. When they arrest you at airport in many countries for holding fake passport.

Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by fstranger1: 4:22am On Jan 27, 2011
Becomrichn:

good lucky, we Yoruba just want to join Benin republic. Ok. good lucky in your dream world. When they arrest you at airport in many countries for holding fake passport.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Classic Becomrich!
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by PhysicsMHD(m): 4:23am On Jan 27, 2011
Obiagu1:

@ PhysicQED, If you haven't seen the light now and realise that Nigeria is not a way forward, then something is fundamentally wrong.

It's not that. Nigeria probably needs to split.

I've seen the light and when Biafra is a reality I'll be the first to wish you congratulations.

It's just that "secession" is not preferable to a negotiated divorce and that all this pretentious online posturing and grandstanding kind of irks me.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by Obiagu1(m): 4:25am On Jan 27, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

It's not that. Nigeria probably needs to split.

I've seen the light and when Biafra is a reality I'll be the first to wish you congratulations.

It's just that "secession" is not preferable to a negotiated divorce and that all this pretentious online posturing and grandstanding kind of irks me.

What's the difference between secession and "negotiated divorce"?
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ezeagu(m): 4:32am On Jan 27, 2011
Obiagu1:

The scenerio is this: If we have only Alaigbo, then that is the only territory we can trade freely without fear of waking up one day and see/hear strange policies that will either force us to leave or make our lives miserable/harder.

grin No offence, but that has to be a joke okwa ya?

Obiagu1:

Ghana, Cameroon, etc can change policies and you'll see us returning back home from those countries.

Why would Ghana discourage Alaigbo, wait, why would Ghana discourage Nigeria splitting (mutually)? And Cameroon?

Obiagu1:

With S. Nigeria, we have a bigger territory to operate without fear of tomorrow or strange policies targeted at us, bigger population and bigger and secured market to trade.

And don't forget fierce competition and distrust that's going nowhere. I understand this Southern Nigerian thing is more to do with land than anything else, but I'd rather have a smaller car that's working (with original parts).

Obiagu1:

Nigeria doesn't work because Northerners are murderers and no one will like to stay forever with murderers.

S. Nigeria gives us more room and more diversity, moreover, majority are christians.

That would be the answer if the conflict was only between Northerners and Southerners, but like I've told someone before Nigeria is not split only between North and South. And you can keep the Christian stuff because that will be thrown out when ethnicity comes to play.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by jason123: 4:33am On Jan 27, 2011
Becomrichn:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by GAR3TH(m): 4:35am On Jan 27, 2011
. . .and splitting solves our power problem how?
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by Obiagu1(m): 4:45am On Jan 27, 2011
ezeagu:

Why would Ghana discourage Alaigbo, wait, why would Ghana discourage Nigeria splitting (mutually)? And Cameroon?

You didn't understand me. Ghana and Cameroon could make us, Igbos, return back to Alaigbo like Ghana did to Nigeria or Nigeria did to Ghana (Ghana-Must-Go) or make trading and business hard for us like Ghana is currently doing to some extent to Nigerians with silly tariffs and levies etc.

Have we tried to picture a scenerio where every Igbo returns to Alaigbo from Lagos? If that scenerio seems pleasant to you, then we don't have much to argue.

I wish I had time tonight.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by PhysicsMHD(m): 4:52am On Jan 27, 2011
Obiagu1:

What's the difference between secession and "negotiated divorce"?

Secession is not negotiated.

It's declared and discussion or agreements about who goes where and who gets what do not come into play.

My prediction is that if such discussions do not take place, permanent or long lasting hostility between the countries coming out of the original country would ensue and make politics/economics/peace more difficult in the region.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by Obiagu1(m): 4:58am On Jan 27, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Secession is not negotiated.

It's declared and discussion or agreements about who goes where and who gets what do not come into play.

My prediction is that if such discussions do not take place, permanent or long lasting hostility between the countries coming out of the original country would ensue and make politics/economics/peace more difficult in the region.

I don't care how it comes about but let there be a split.
A negotiated one is preferable though.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by alex101(m): 5:04am On Jan 27, 2011
Those who don't want to leave the cesspit called nigeria should not sabotage the effort of those whot want to. All these talk of 'e go beta one day' is all bull@hit. If any of you 'one nigerianist' sabotage any attempt at secession, you and your generations unborn will rot in hell! angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by naijaking1: 5:27am On Jan 27, 2011
Secession, negotiated split
Why not simply draw a sharia line from east to west, and you'll have very natural and religiously harmonious countries.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ChinenyeN(m): 1:56pm On Jan 27, 2011
Since your topic is about option B, I'm assuming there is an option A. Mind telling us what that is?
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by T9ksy(m): 4:27pm On Jan 27, 2011
Posted by: Obiagu1 Today at 04:18:32 AM
With S. Nigeria, we have a bigger territory to operate without fear of tomorrow or strange policies targeted at us, bigger population and bigger and secured market to trade. Nigeria doesn't work because Northerners are murderers and no one will like to stay forever with murderers.

S. Nigeria gives us more room and more diversity, moreover, majority are christians

Obiagui, i guess your notion of S. Nigeria includes Yorubaland?

Over the years, you igbos have done nothing but call us names and denigrate our yorubaness.

what makes you think we yorubas want to be in the same country as you guys?

we have had enough of your duplicitous character nor do we want you dumping your fake goods on our people.

Next, you lot will come and start bragging about how you own 90% of yorubaland.

Abegi, stay in your alaigbo whilst i stay in my Oduduwa.

if we really have to trade with each other then we can meet in a designated market by the border.

we are not compromising the territorial integrity of yorubaland for no ph.ocking S. Nigeria bunkum just 'cause you guys are landlocked.
TOUGH!!!
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ShangoThor(m): 5:20pm On Jan 27, 2011
[size=16pt]Five reasons discerning the non-feasability of a Strong centred Western (Yoruba) Odua state.[/size]

3. Minority Yoruba communities might not want to be encorporated within the State.

4. The Largest Yoruba population, spiritual home (Ile Ife) and Largest formed polity (Oyo Empire) exists in Western Nigeria. Majority
populations in a Separate State do not secede from them only to Join up with the minority population in a neighbouring country (Benin Republic).
This would destabilize the Benin Republic as the Yoruba's become the largest ethnic group in the country. Also Benin Republic is a Francophonic
country and the French interest in Africa is questionable especially as they have been implicated in the Genocidal acts that were perpetrated in
Rwanda. [size=14pt](This one is for BecomeRich @!)[/size]

5. The Kwara question?, historical split exixts in that Polity, might present problems if justication to secede is based on ethnicity alone.

[size=20pt]Once again, tribalism is for primitive minds, there are no major differences in our DNA.[/size]

Becomrichn:

Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ShangoThor(m): 5:23pm On Jan 27, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Since your topic is about option B, I'm assuming there is an option A. Mind telling us what that is?

[size=20pt]Solution precis - Fix the State[/size]

1. Start a petition online and all over Nigeria, target Southern Nigeria (cooperate)

2. Publish results, embarass the government internally and globally, use the global media, lobby the UN and Super Powers.

3. Demand the implementation of Political and Economic Structural changes in the State (True Federalism, Separation of Powers
Independence of the Judiciary, Rule of Law, Transparent Government, Independent and entrenched Taxation body with published
figures.

4. Start a class action against or sue the FG at the International Court of Justice, Hague for the dereliction of duties
to her citizens regarding not guaranteeing human rights and property (JOS).

5. Assuming all of the above ends up fruitless =====> we opt for "OPTION B", which is point 6 below

6. Form 1 major alliance across the South and parts of the Middle Belt in favour of lobbying the UN for a "UN sponsored referendum"
regarding the secession of Southern Nigeria.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by archive(f): 5:30pm On Jan 27, 2011
We would do so much better if we could find a way of working together and going forward as we are now. A large country like nigeria, which is growing at a rapid rate would be a more powerful force than smaller states. also, this would just not work. we just need to change our mind sight. split nigeria up and the separate states will find something else to fight about within their own borders. ethnic division, as such may cease but this won't get rid of greed and the poor mentality that nigerians across the country have today.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by archive(f): 5:34pm On Jan 27, 2011
ShangoThor:

[size=20pt]Solution precis - Fix the State[/size]

1. Start a petition online and all over Nigeria, target Southern Nigeria (cooperate)

2. Publish results, embarass the government internally and globally, use the global media, lobby the UN and Super Powers.

3. Demand the implementation of Political and Economic Structural changes in the State (True Federalism, Separation of Powers
Independence of the Judiciary, Rule of Law, Transparent Government, Independent and entrenched Taxation body with published
figures.

4. Start a class action against or sue the FG at the International Court of Justice, Hague for the dereliction of duties
to her citizens regarding not guaranteeing human rights and property (JOS).

5. Assuming all of the above ends up fruitless =====> we opt for "OPTION B", which is point 6 below

6. Form 1 major alliance across the South and parts of the Middle Belt in favour of lobbying the UN for a "UN sponsored referendum"
regarding the secession of Southern Nigeria.

we can't even register people properly. how the hell are we going to organise an honest petition? and using the internet? come on now,

you're already assuming that we'll 'embarass the govt' - predicting the results are we?

what makes you thunk that the UN want to take on this task? what's in it for them?

answer these questions
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ChinenyeN(m): 5:56pm On Jan 27, 2011
Option C, then?
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by aljharem(m): 6:04pm On Jan 27, 2011
kai

i dey laugh oooooo

@OP

how did adamawa become a southern state undecided

also why should nigeria spilt

do you think southern nigeria would be a paradise undecided

do you not think that the problem in nigeria today will continue in this your southern nigeria dreams

why are you wasting your time undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sng To Hold Another Rally On Saturday, January 21 At Ojota / Breaking News: Supreme Court Sacks Kebbi Gov, Orders Fresh Election / Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.