Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,730 members, 7,875,829 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 10:37 PM

Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State (8739 Views)

Any Southern Nigerian Voting A P C Needs To Be Examined / Yoruba Unity Forum To Host Southern Nigerian Peoples Confab / How Come Southern Nigerian Marry White People. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by Obiagu1(m): 12:53am On Feb 02, 2011
Eziachi:

In as much as I don't ever believed in one Nigeria from day one. Anything called Southern Nigeria as one country will be far worse than Nigeria as we see it today.
It will be like jumping from a frying pan into fire.
How on earth, will anyone, after eventually freeing self from Nigeria and then will choose to replace it with another mini Nigeria called Southern Nigeria?
There are no such thing as Southern Nigeria as long Ndigbo is concerned, if there were such a thing, I think it ended in 1967, when some of them joined hand with the northerners to fight their so-called southern brothers.
How can you create another nation with Yoruba and Ndigbo inside it and expect progress? You measure how futile such a country will be even through NAIRALAND alone. No chance!!
The day Nigerians will eventually wake up from their slumber and decide to go their separate ways because the crude oil that kept forcing them together is either finished or something new happens, everybody will go back to their pre-1914 of Lord Lugard status.

Then based on choice and individual interests, whomever chooses, can form a new marriage (nation) with whoever it find comfort/trust with or another choice to stay on your own , no matter what.
There is no hidding the fact that Ndigbo, Ibibio, Efik and possibly Annang may likely form a nation based on the fact that they had always got on well better than others, over many generations in the past.  They had never had any known or recorded disagreements in the past and such a union must also be based on the choice of each and everyone of them.

Why would an Igbo nation stop Igbos from emigrating? That is not just a baseless sentiiment but also meaningless.
Many Igbos like Ojukwu's father, my grandfather and others was making their money/building their businesses in far away Congo, Equatorial Guinea (Known as Panya then) as early as 1930s. As we speakm my family still the sole Franchise owner of Citreon Trucks in both Gabon and the Congolese nations.
Igbo businesses are more secured in far away Cameroon, Togo, Gabon and presently South Africa than they they are in Ogbomosho, Sapele or Katsina etc.
So what the heck are you talking about migration, especially in today's open world? 

My position on this is, it's much harder for Biafra or Odua to secede alone. Negotiation has to be devoid of sentiment; it has to be based on reality.
How possible is it that Biafra can secede alone? If we all see the need for the south to leave Nigeria, then after such secession, it will be put to referendum to decide what we want, confederation, federalism or outright split.

This is my position.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ShangoThor(m): 1:01am On Feb 02, 2011
Eziachi:

Ignorant is a disease. I don't even think you know what we are actually debating.

Your arguments are so coherent ? ? ?

During Slavery, there were Africans that supported the misery it inflicted!
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ShangoThor(m): 1:04am On Feb 02, 2011
Obiagu1:

My position on this is, it's much harder for Biafra or Odua to secede alone. Negotiation has to be devoid of sentiment; it has to be based on reality.
How possible is it that Biafra can secede alone? If we all see the need for the south to leave Nigeria, then after such secession, it will be put to referendum to decide what we want, confederation, federalism or outright split.

This is my position.

I concur, it is such a straight forward argument and strategy, its about business, straight forward logic
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ShangoThor(m): 10:35pm On Apr 25, 2011
bump!
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by EzeUche3(m): 10:36pm On Apr 25, 2011
I am glad to see you back ShangoThor. smiley
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ShangoThor(m): 10:41pm On Apr 25, 2011
Yep, I am and we have a great task ahead of us, all Southern lives are precious at this stage and since some Northern factions are the ones doing the killing, they will pay. They will be dealt a decisive blow of immense proportions.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ShangoThor(m): 12:14pm On Apr 26, 2011
bump! We urgently need to stop the loss of innocent life in Nigeria.

Let's bring civility and humanity back, Southern Nigerians deserve it.

God bless Africa
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ShangoThor(m): 9:44pm On Dec 26, 2011
bump
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ShangoThor(m): 12:44am On Dec 27, 2011
bump
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by Nchara: 1:22am On Dec 27, 2011
please remove Adamawa from your map. It is a BH territory. We can then discuss the rest of the places.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by NegroNtns(m): 1:32am On Dec 27, 2011
A proposal to form a State consisting of a massive Christian block, a tolerant Polity and Society toward the more progressive Muslims
of the South and traditional religions.

It would range from Lagos and the Benin Republic border in the West to the Cameroon border in the East. It would also extend to
parts of Kwara in the North and spread across parts of the Middle Belt up to Jos.

Are you speaking for OPC or for yourself? Nothing happens in Yorubaland outside a political consultation and consensus reached first amongst the commonwealth and agreed to by our human rights group, OPC.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ezeagu(m): 1:39am On Dec 27, 2011
Negro_Ntns:
our human rights group, OPC.

Nairaland we hail thee.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ShangoThor(m): 1:41am On Dec 27, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Are you speaking for OPC or for yourself?  Nothing happens in Yorubaland outside a political consultation and consensus reached first amongst the commonwealth and agreed to by our human rights group, OPC.

Reply: U.N. Sponsored Referendum in relation to Separation or Demarcation. Let the citizenry decide.

What is about to unravel is bigger than me, you, OPC, MEND, MASSOB etc.

Mark my words, worse atrocities are about to be perpetrated.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by NegroNtns(m): 1:49am On Dec 27, 2011
Shango, but isn't this a domestic problem we are talking about? What is the need to involve UN? There is no problem affecting West that OPC cannot resolve at moment. . . . I dont know about future events, but at moment, bruh, trust me. . . . OPC is on it!

I dont know how about East or anywhere else, maybe they need UN but no, we dont need UN in West. Beyond Nigeria, Yorubaland stands on its own. . . no more amalgamation.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ShangoThor(m): 1:52am On Dec 27, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Shango, but isn't this a domestic problem we are talking about? What is the need to involve UN? There is no problem affecting West that OPC cannot resolve at moment. . . . I dont know about future events, but at moment, bruh, trust me. . . . OPC is on it!

I dont know how about East or anywhere else, maybe they need UN but no, we dont need UN in West. Beyond Nigeria, Yorubaland stands on its own. . . no more amalgamation.

What if you're wrong 'bruh'?
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by NegroNtns(m): 2:00am On Dec 27, 2011
about which part? I will be wrong to say I know what future holds. I cannot contest your claim that the worse is yet to come but I am not sure that lumping Yoruba with all those other people you mentioned reverses the situation.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ShangoThor(m): 2:26am On Dec 27, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

about which part?  I will be wrong to say I know what future holds. I cannot contest your claim that the worse is yet to come but I am not sure that lumping Yoruba with all those other people you mentioned reverses the situation.

It is time to think and act wisely. "There are plenty of ways to skin a cat"!
You cannot guarantee that Yorubas were not killed in the recently perpetrated atrocities and neither can you inform me about which body OPC is accountable to or about their command structure.

Besides the arguments discerned above, I personally do not like placing my faith in an ethno-centric solution. My Position and experience dictates that I would do all within my ability to protect and represent the interest of innocent civilians.

There is no need to fear the outcome of a U.N. Sponsored Referendum. The citizenry might opt to split into Southern Nigeria first, and then Eastern and Western states afterwards. What is important is the existence of a mechanism, a route to achieve the objective.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by NegroNtns(m): 2:34am On Dec 27, 2011
Suggesting a first split into North-South before a second split into East-West infer that the individual East, West region cannot independently resolve the dividion without the assist of the other. It also gives the appearance that the North is a formidable force and in addition to the cooperative of the two, East and West, a third and external party is also needed to supervise the division and security.

Am I correct, is this what you intended?
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ShangoThor(m): 2:42am On Dec 27, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Suggesting a first split into North-South before a second split into East-West infer that the individual East, West region cannot independently resolve the dividion without the assist of the other.  It also gives the appearance that the North is a formidable force and in addition to the cooperative of the two, East and West, a third and external party is also needed to supervise the division and security. 

Am I correct, is this what you intended?

All I am saying is that any resolution has to involve the Citizenry. It's the citizens that wield Sovereignty and not groups like OPC. Otherwise, it would be a slippery slope to tyranny. Yoruba people are either enlightened or they are not.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by Chyz2: 2:47am On Dec 27, 2011
In southern nigeria, I foresee political gang up against the SE as is happening now and always.Do you people want continuous marginalization? southern nigeria cant work.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ShangoThor(m): 2:54am On Dec 27, 2011
Chyz*:

In southern nigeria, I foresee political gang up against the SE as is happening now and always.Do you people want continuous marginalization? southern nigeria cant work.

Chyz, the only reason why the Nation State is not working is because of how it is structured. Are we so arrogant that we cannot agree to let the people decide in a U.N. Sponsored Referendum?
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by Chyz2: 3:07am On Dec 27, 2011
ShangoThor:

Chyz, the only reason why the Nation State is not working is because of how it is structured. Are we so arrogant that we cannot agree to let the people decide in a U.N. Sponsored Referendum?

Well, the structure has to be favorable and pretty much fare in every sense. We Igbos would like to go back to our tradition governmental system of ASSEMBLY and not any time of centralized system such as President or Governor of a state. If we want that but lets say MB and Yorubas dont want that because culturally it is alien to them then who does it work?
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ShangoThor(m): 3:17am On Dec 27, 2011
Chyz*:

Well, the structure has to be favorable and pretty much fare in every sense. We Igbos would like to go back to our tradition governmental system of ASSEMBLY and not any time of centralized system such as President or Governor of a state. If we want that but lets say MB and Yorubas dont want that because culturally it is alien to them then who does it work?

Chyz, seriously bro, why would you think others would not want the same thing? All respective regions would be able to keep their own resources and develop their own land, simple.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by CyberG: 6:09am On Dec 27, 2011
^ Sango, you make some very good points BUT don't engage people who are e-aggressive like Eziachi and co. You started the thread well including your non-tribalism full disclosure comments, please stay with it.

This is my opinion and thinking right now, not necessarily set in stone:

1. The status quo is not sustainable and we need change!
2. Your proposal of North - South indeed has a better chance of international support than sectional breakups.
3. A negotiated breakup involving everyone is far better than war and your initial proposals are sound.
4. Even before breakup, the East-West question needs to be addressed, what is the new nation going to do? Here is what I think:

Two dominant animals cannot drink from a bowl at the same time - like making two rams drink from a bowl will lead to fights. What we can do is to accept this as a fact of life and our existence, understand, work with it and mutually respect each other. The southern part of Nigeria could be sub-divided into 3 large parts, the West, Middle and East. Factoring in the tendencies of the people, it is important to get our laws right which will b supreme and upheld to the hilt. I think westerners are very accommodating and very friendly and do not care if you live among them BUT when you begin to make arrogant and empty statements like you are a majority in the land where your fathers were allowed to rent, make a living and develop, you invite evil upon the land. Also, it is a very common sentiment that when an easterner is allowed to rent a place, he goes and brings everyone of his clan to occupy this space even at the detriment of the owner and in violation of the spirit of brotherhood and friendship that allowed their fathers or original migrants to stay. This attitude is very obvious in many NL for example.

The westerners appear to be quite easy going even in foreign lands, work hard, make money and that is it for the most part but never make arrogant claims of how they are the majority in another man's land. They generally don't care much for whether they are not the governor or the president or leader so far as the people in those positions do a good job for what is the point of having your people there when you still suffer as much?

So, a deliberate policy that while in the same country, a settler from a different part of the country will NEVER attain the same rights as the original owners and this is to legally make it impossible for some tribes or people to cause troubles in say a hundred years! Americans speak so highly about their founding fathers and the values they imbued into their Constitution from day one. It will be impossible in every place of work for anyone to hire solely his kinsman, neglecting the closest natives of that area. These laws will be defended so fiercely by the states, people will never need to resort to self help. In essence, an easterner who moves to a different part of the country e.g. Lagos or Ogun, does that in total respect of these laws which are non-negotiable and even an accidental slippage will not be deemed of deserving a minor punishment. By the same token, a westerner who moves to Port Harcourt or Owerri does that knowing he lives in the same country and brothers with the natives and guaranteed by law but even if they were in their thousands, they will have no permanent rights to claims ownership of an inch of that land or covet someone else's heritage or seek to obliterate their culture.

The rights of every individual tribe to the smallest shall be defended as fiercely as that of any larger tribe - when the small or weak suffer, everyone suffers will be the rule. So, a tribe cannot decide to try and assimilate - either overtly or covertly - another tribe because they are small or weak. The armies shall be totally selected in equal measures from the constituents so that a majority does not exist in men, equipment or influence in favor of any part, etc. This is a minimum and people shall be sworn to citizenship, yes, so they are liable for their missteps. If a frame-work that exhaustively addresses this can be hatched, then the harmony of the majorities and minorities and their interests can be protected. One final thing, I saw some Dede1 saying he has some secret not meant for the public here on NL which is funny because there's nothing anyone can do without the agreement of others around you. Anything secret that cannot be discussed publicly speaks to the untrustworthiness and sinister motives of the subject. In fact, for someone who is an old man say in his 40s, only few years remain when he needs to be spoon fed and his ideas die a natural death when he is too weak or dies himself - just a thought.
Re: Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State by ShangoThor(m): 10:12pm On Jul 03, 2017
This still remains the easiest option, but if Southerners cannot (or refuse) to cooperate, I believe a Nation-state in the SW will be successful and no matter what, everybody will want to associate with success

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Police Arrests Year-old Baby In Benue State / Ebonyi State You May Not Know. / Nigeria's Debt Profile On All Time High

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.