Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,126 members, 7,916,314 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 08:15 PM

Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights (49948 Views)

Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights / West Brom Vs Arsenal : Carabao Cup (0 - 6) Live - European Football (EPL, UEFA, / Listen To The Lagosian In NYC Football Round Table Podcast: EPL, UEFA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by Dextre(m): 2:17pm On Jul 01, 2020
SocialJustice:
They should drop it abeg, body hot me when I paid the new subscription price and I'm not a sports person. Nigerians should learn to live with economic realities.

Nigerians should stop learning to survive and demand for a better life. Nigeria is dying gradually, such a shame
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by Correcto: 2:18pm On Jul 01, 2020
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by nedekid: 2:19pm On Jul 01, 2020
Nbote:
If dem born dem well make dem try am and see if Nigerians wont dump their thieving asses.. Those football rights are d major reason most Nigerians renew their subscriptions
I de pay but no one in my house de watch Ball.
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by nedekid: 2:28pm On Jul 01, 2020
cucumbae:
What I mean is that they charge Nigerians higher than other African countries.
I don't think they charge highest than other countries.
I think the main problem is the devaluation of our naira. If we were paying 10k for compact plus bouquet 5 years ago, we ought to be paying like 45k now. After all naira was 145 to the dollar and it is now 450 to same dollar.
Dstv cannot increase subscription at par with the devaluation as Nigerians cannot afford it. Hence dstv has grown poorer as most Nigerians with greatly reduced purchasing power.
Thanks to the recessionists ruling the country.

8 Likes

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by DelphiOracle(m): 2:29pm On Jul 01, 2020
blowjohn:

Economic realities are subjective.

When your salary comes in time, you eat chicken. As the salary reduces you eat products of Chicken (Eggs) and subsequently you begin to eat chicken's food, (maize and millet), and finally, when salary is finished, you become chicken itself, spending your time walking around just looking for what to eat"!

Everyone is on a different level.
u b comedian

2 Likes

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by banhammy: 2:38pm On Jul 01, 2020
No problem. I will watch it online
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by lullygold18(m): 2:42pm On Jul 01, 2020
SocialJustice:
They should drop it abeg, body hot me when I paid th ;De new subscription price and I'm not a sports person. Nigerians should learn to live with economic realities.

Are you saying you are a woman by not been a football person grin
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by Myketuale(m): 2:42pm On Jul 01, 2020
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by sexylassie2(f): 2:43pm On Jul 01, 2020
Dasuks:

You're right on SA being their largest market, but at the same time your numbers say NGR is a third of their total business. Dependency in most economic settings is 20%. A third is heavily material and crucial to any kind of operation. I bet their margins are higher in Naija, regardless of what this article says.

How much do they spend on their ppl or focus on delivering better service... In SA there would be some kind of organized framework for them to operate within. In Naija, they r quite notorious for cutting corners. That being said tho, they leave and another int'l operator will enter, or maybe even a capitalized local. Nigerians just want better service (cost and quality) eh.

Nigeria is actually the cheapest market in sub price when compared to other market

dont forget, the high cost of running a biz is high here

3 Likes

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by chinonsolife342: 2:47pm On Jul 01, 2020
blowjohn:

When your salary comes in time, you eat chicken. As the salary reduces you eat products of Chicken (Eggs) and subsequently you begin to eat chicken's food, (maize and millet), and finally, when salary is finished, you become chicken itself, spending your time walking around just looking for what to eat"!

u deserve a bottle of chilled beer for this quote jare.

1 Like

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by JaceBlaze: 2:47pm On Jul 01, 2020
sexylassie2:

Not true, south Africa is where all the money is made not Nigeria.

18.9 million subscribers in the whole Africa.

8.9 million sub's in south Africa.

10.7 million in other African countries

In Nigeria there are about 6,237,000 sub
That is 33% of revenue .

This info is for last year.

Preach..

1 Like

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by Midastorch(m): 2:50pm On Jul 01, 2020
Nbote:
If dem born dem well make dem try am and see if Nigerians wont dump their thieving asses.. Those football rights are d major reason most Nigerians renew their subscriptions

Brov, the DSTV is the most boring Satellite Television on the planet, thank God for Netflix.....
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by Bigfish121(m): 2:51pm On Jul 01, 2020
My DStv subscription just finished today.to bring out the 7k for sub nor easy ooo
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by chaloskyx: 2:55pm On Jul 01, 2020
LET THEM DROP IT NAU THEY KNOW THATS HOW PEOPLE WOULD ALSO DROP DSTV AFTER INCREASING SUBSCRIPTION YOU NOW WANT TO SHORTCHANGE US BY REDUCING OUR VIEWING CHANNELS YOU ARE NOT SERIOUS
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by FLOTAN(m): 3:00pm On Jul 01, 2020
‘’The results show that percentage increase in expenses exceed a percentage increase in revenues, an indication that while it is spending more on its operations, it is not making enough to keep up’’. This quote means they’re still making profit and not loss. The concern here is that they’re not making enough profit. So, instead of dropping soccer which arguably is the most demanded content, why not reduce other operational and overhead expense subheadings and be more creative in cost savings? There will certainly be a major deep in revenue if soccer is removed.

Even loss making subsidiaries are sometimes tolerated for strategic reasons. We believe the monopoly status enjoyed by this company needs to be stopped and not soccer.

On the other matter, It’s possible to become a land owner if you take the right steps. With as little or much as N600k you could be on your way to making your dreams a reality. Check profile for offers.

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by abbiboy: 3:05pm On Jul 01, 2020
Una headache...me will not reveal my source,but i can watch my uefa champs league in peace without thurder n lightening interrupting.

Bad market has setin..startimes chinko over to u.
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by abbiboy: 3:07pm On Jul 01, 2020
Nbote:

Waste of money.
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by Gerrard59(m): 3:11pm On Jul 01, 2020
sexylassie2:

Not true, south Africa is where all the money is made not Nigeria.

18.9 million subscribers in the whole Africa.

8.9 million sub's in south Africa.

10.7 million in other African countries

In Nigeria there are about 6,237,000 sub
That is 33% of revenue .

This info is for last year.

Thank you this post. On daily basis, I am vindicated when I say the vast majority of Nigerians don't understand elementary economics. People keep yapping about DSTV as if it's an essential utility.

7 Likes

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by caprini1: 3:11pm On Jul 01, 2020
YINKS89:
Drop it and see how startimes would grab it quick quick... They don kuku dey show Europa and Copa del rey
They also show English FA cup, Turkish,Dutch,french ,Chinese ,US and south American leagues.Just EPL,Laliga and champions League remaining.
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by spenca: 3:12pm On Jul 01, 2020
This is a premise to them hiking subscription rate, dont for once believe that they are considering dropping Nigeria
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by ajl: 3:16pm On Jul 01, 2020
Stupid Nigerians throwing their money at UK. I prefer they don't show premier league and champions league on Nigerian TV anymore, if the youths and people will forget their own league but pay so much attention to foreign league. They will rather watch premier league than participate in important national issues that will affect their lives. Thats why Nigerians remain poor. There is too much focus on outside and foreign things. So, people are not thinking of ways to solve local problems.

4 Likes

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by pasol4real(m): 3:17pm On Jul 01, 2020
blowjohn:

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Chai, you ppl will not kill someone on this platform

1 Like

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by Karleb(m): 3:22pm On Jul 01, 2020
GemUnique:
Drop it or not, won't stop Nigeria from being what she is

What he is!

I am a Menist!

1 Like

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by ajl: 3:29pm On Jul 01, 2020
shiwex:
Paying all these huge amount of money to South African company. What exactly do Nigeria/Nigerians gain from the deal, its just a loose loose situation. We need to invest this money in developing our own sport so others can pay us Rights like other countries, in Europe and Latin America.

Nigerians for the most part are a bunch of clueless people who always choose to remain wretched. Even me that live in America, I cut off my cable service several years ago. I use to pay between $60 to $100 every month, and I kept the service just because of soccer as they always offer the service as packages. Often you can't choose soccer channels alone. I realized it was only soccer I was watching as I did not have time to watch other channels. These days I watch playback on YouTube, and NBS show 2 matches free on Saturdays. That's enough. Virtually, Nigerians and other Africans are dashing UK $250 million every year, and another $100 million to Europe generally. See why these western countries are richer while Africans are getting poorer. Show me one African media product that Europeans will pay to watch.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by meobizy(f): 3:36pm On Jul 01, 2020
Na them know. My subscription fees can pay for unlimited internet. Na downloads win am in the end.
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by GemUnique(m): 3:44pm On Jul 01, 2020
Karleb:

What he is!

I am a Menist!
grin grin grin grin
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by SarkinYarki: 3:52pm On Jul 01, 2020
Nbote:

What exactly did they steal from you? There is no business justification for paying 250 million dollars for the Nigerian rights when the Nigerians can barely afford it as a result of crashing Naira

3 Likes

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by ItrendNaija(m): 3:52pm On Jul 01, 2020
When will a worthy competitor to DSTV rise up?
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by kinggSamuel(m): 3:58pm On Jul 01, 2020
that means I will stop watching pay tv. all I watch on paytv is football . I will instead concentrate on watching motivational videos and others. and again the football that gives us joy Nigerias bad policies want to deprive this from us.na wa
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by fashrola(m): 4:01pm On Jul 01, 2020
Nodogragra4me:

How does it work?

No just worry except you have unlimited data to stream TV contents
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jul 01, 2020
cucumbae:
What I mean is that they charge Nigerians higher than other African countries.

They don't.

Ghana charges at least N1000 more than Nigeria per package. Kenya and South Africa too charge higher

We are charged the cheapest rate for Multichoice countries in Africa

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Onazi Ogenyi Releases Pre-wedding Photos / 15-Year-Old Ethan Nwaneri Becomes Youngest Premier League Player In History / Mikel Obi Enjoys A Stroll With His Russian Partner And Their cute Twin Daughters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.