Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,953 members, 7,903,064 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 July 2024 at 11:35 PM

Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? (28096 Views)

Is Medicine And Surgery As Lucrative As It Seems / Chartered Accountancy Vs Legal Profession: Which One Is More Lucrative? / How Lucrative Is The Legal Profession? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Alphaman007: 12:32pm On Jul 18, 2020
gunners160:
Truth be told, a lot of those gibberish courses we studied in school back then are no longer needed again and not just law profession.
I think it is high time Nigeria change her curriculum and focus more on science related courses

Sociology, psychology, business admin, criminology, political science etc no get use

Lol remove psychology bro

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Louisananda7(m): 12:34pm On Jul 18, 2020
The real situation is that no course is lucrative again in Nigeria, even medicine

2 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by gunners160(m): 12:35pm On Jul 18, 2020
Alphaman007:

Lol remove psychology bro
even psychology. I am a graduate of psychology so I knw wat I am talking about
in other countries Psychology is lucrative but not here in Nigeria

8 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by gunners160(m): 12:36pm On Jul 18, 2020
Louisananda7:
The real situation is that no course is lucrative again in Nigeria, even medicine

but to a certain fault it is OK
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by salt1: 12:39pm On Jul 18, 2020
For the first time in my life, I am grateful to God that I didn't study Law as I dreamt of doing in the secondary school

9 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by BigotMan(m): 12:41pm On Jul 18, 2020
the same situation persists in all other countries not only in nigeria

some lucky ones hit it big while many do not

depends on your client, firm or just downright luck

you just need to be smart and have the passion for it

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Brunicekid(m): 12:42pm On Jul 18, 2020
Not just Lawyers... So many other professionals face similar issues pointed out by the OP.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by lekki1444: 12:42pm On Jul 18, 2020
PEOPLE STILL STUDY LAW ? DINOSAUR PROFESSION

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by josite: 12:43pm On Jul 18, 2020
no other profession as lucrative as legal profession but can u wait?.i mean very long wait,longest wait.if u cant wait .go join nnpc or cbn or police checkpoint right now or bank robbery gang.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Etinosa1234: 12:44pm On Jul 18, 2020
salt1:
For the first time in my life, I am grateful to God that I didn't study Law as I dreamt of doing in the secondary school

Bro...it has advantages ooo..given the respect people give the law profession..but make sure u have a skill...

for someone from a poor background to make it in law can take years...but if u are rich and have connects or Jus lucky... then it will be early

3 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by faoogoke(m): 12:44pm On Jul 18, 2020
Etinosa1234:
OP...are u a lawyer/Law student...

I'm a Law student and I have few years b4 I graduate but as of recent..I've been discouraged abt the course...The course is great alright but it's not in demand and I'm not ready to spend 5yrs and spending more than 300k in law school and get paid 20k a month.. So I'm learning a skill that will make way for me...
One reason that made me give up on the law profession is the fact that Law schools in Nigeria are churning out thousands of Lawyers in a country that has legal apathy. They'll prefer to "leave the matter to God" than to fight it in court hence depreciating the demand for lawyers
Another thing is that it's very competitive.... from what I've heard ..it takes a while to get to top of the ladder in the legal profession..abeg..I wan make my Papa quick enjoy the fruits of his labour
And the third reason I gave up was that my roommates in the hostel don dey call me charge and bail grin. I don dey reject am..So a whole me..A Law graduate that spent 6 years in school will be hanging around the court and be shouting "Bros u get case"
I've already decided that I'll just get the cert for people to know that I'm a graduate..

Simply my opinion...Don't disturb me

God bless you for this piece of your mind. I pleaded with my son after I noticed these and other things about the profession. Thank God he took my advice. Plus they are a corrupt bunch.

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by CeokRicchezza: 12:45pm On Jul 18, 2020
In Falz voice "It's the life we chose I could have been in chambers - No regrets this one dey pay pass"

Awon my dad and mum are lawyers so I want to be a lawyer too. Even those without connection too wants to be lawyers.

9 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by josite: 12:46pm On Jul 18, 2020
ukaface:
But is it same for female lawyers?

Make I know the advice wey I go give my cousin

tell her to speak and dress very hot and smart and when she meets a very very successful lawyer,try hook him and in few years time she is a partner in the law firm.thank me later.

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by clockwisereport: 12:46pm On Jul 18, 2020
atomic bomb comes to mind
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Timieric: 12:47pm On Jul 18, 2020
Yes it's very lucrative.i am a legal practitioner based in Ado Ekiti.and I can unequivocally say it's very lucrative.Also, if it's your calling, you won't regret being in the profession.T.E Omotoso Esq.

8 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by IgbalodeRaymond: 12:48pm On Jul 18, 2020
Vianna:

Nobody is discrediting any ones job. It's just an opinion.

And mind you, I'm not a guy.
I love your boobs
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Coolgasman(m): 12:49pm On Jul 18, 2020
It is only that medicine that you said that is now lucrative in Nigeria along with pharmacy, nursing. The rest you'd have to go the hard way to make it
Louisananda7:

4 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by ukaface(f): 12:49pm On Jul 18, 2020
josite:

tell her to speak and dress very hot and smart and when she meets a very very successful lawyer,try hook him and in few years time she is a partner in the law firm.thank me later.
this is serious....Nawa o

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by AK481(m): 12:50pm On Jul 18, 2020
Nope ..
They earn as low as 15k
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by CeokRicchezza: 12:52pm On Jul 18, 2020
bekpo:

U must have been a very stupid and an unfortunate fellow for saying this to d most noble profession! Your frustration is second to none!

what's wrong with this one? Someone brought out reality, you're saying rubbish. Noble ko, Ignoble ni

20 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by ukaface(f): 12:52pm On Jul 18, 2020
Coolgasman:
It is only that medicine that you said that is now lucrative in Nigeria along with pharmacy, nursing. The rest you'd have to go the hard way to make it
nursing in Nigeria is just inbetween.
It depends on where you working,your certificate,your experience.
Though it's possible a nurse with no experience earns 70k,while some might earn 40k.
Nursing is fair
But it's better outside Nigeria,I mean u.k and u.s a.
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by clockwisereport: 12:53pm On Jul 18, 2020
egbaguy2:
I think lasisielenu has said it all with his skits..... My Lord,if I may..... May I my lord

my lord, all power belong to you

where is your affidavit?

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 12:53pm On Jul 18, 2020
OP, I support your motion.

In 2013, I got an admission into UNILAG to study Law, but I quickly offered myself brain and dumped the course after the first semester because I had envisaged that it will be a total waste of time. I was not feeling the course, more so, viewing the way my predecessors in the profession were and narrated their experiences during court ordeals wasn't something to envy. I didn't even have the strength to read the many books required of us, yap unnecessarily about Politics and History like market women nor jump from court to court to convince acquitted victims to give me cases for me to make a living. I was not cut out for all that. I disappointed a lot of people because they had thought I was perfect for the profession. But amidst that hype about the profession spelled frustration, for me.

Years down the line, I haven't regretted my decision a bit even though I haven't been able to return back to school in peace sha, since I frustrated the first plan. grin

Looking at my "once upon a time" coursemates, I don't envy them. Some are doing well, for the ones whose parents could pull funds to establish them upon graduation from Law school, push contracts for them or even sent them abroad to work for better Law firms. Sheybi I have one who has now become a multi-level marketer. Ozwo! cheesy. The worse is, some earn as low as 40K, 50K, even 70K. God forbid. For all the 6 years wey I spend for school come serve join? undecided

Professional course for that matter. I will rather sell food on the streets mehn.

Las las, that profession na just hype and scam.

20 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by lekki1444: 12:54pm On Jul 18, 2020
truth be told law is the most lucrative career ever. you can be broke today and tomorrow you can earn 100 million naira just like that. i know a guy like that named dagogo karibi whyte.. he is a lawyyer with gazillion dollars. the thing about law is that it is not meant for everybody. if you dont have an enchanting personality and tonnes of charisma just forget it. now with an enchanting personality yu will eventually find your way into the gas and oil sector or hanging with some rich politicians and you will be the one brokering deals for them and writing the legal documents and you will earn like 100 million naira a day. that is the story of my man dagogo karibi whyte.

and so yes law is extremely lucrative but if you lack charisma and the ability to schmooze with rich men just forget it

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Lastmankc(m): 12:54pm On Jul 18, 2020
gunners160:
Truth be told, a lot of those gibberish courses we studied in school back then are no longer needed again and not just law profession.
I think it is high time Nigeria change her curriculum and focus more on science related courses

Sociology, psychology, business admin, criminology, political science etc no get use

Even that useless Archaeology

3 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by clockwisereport: 12:54pm On Jul 18, 2020
ukaface:
But is it same for female lawyers?
Make I know the advice wey I go give my cousin
na for only rape cases those ones dey showcase power
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jul 18, 2020
The profession is okay just that there are less opportunities in this part of the world. But if you are hardworking and differentiate yourself, you will surely make it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by SavageBoy: 12:55pm On Jul 18, 2020
Let's just say it's the situation of things in this country. Law is a very nice course to study but Nigeria as a whole is not helping matters.

I really admire the dressing and charisma of Law students in my school,if you see them they are always walking in pack with their black and white or all black(for girls).Their girls set die,I would like to befriend a female Law students before I leave unigrin

But one thing is that many are very proud,addressing themselves as my fellow learned colleague as if me sef no dey learnedgrin
Any how sha I don't blame dem,considering how difficult it is to get Law and keep up with requirements

But the funny part is all of these after graduation is near-useless if you don't have one sort of mad connection, except if you're very fortunate, and this most times come if you know person wey know person

So it's just naija that is the problem, if not Law is a quite profitable and noble course

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by SocialJustice: 12:56pm On Jul 18, 2020
Vianna:
In my opinion, I think it's no longer as lucrative as it used to be and it's a very sorry situation. A lot of lawyers roaming the streets, they are suffering. Some of the many problems are

1. Too many graduates, little job slots

2. Senior colleagues are not ready to give the younger ones a chance

Most lawyers are "charge and bail" . They roam the streets and advertise their services to potential clients and they don't even have a place to call office. Many of them loiter in court premises all day under the hot sun and await the arrival of the police, hoping that the police would bring some accused persons who do not have lawyers to defend them. The moment this happens, the lawyer would approach the accused (usually agberos, louts and unfortunate Nigerians who the police had decided to transfer his frustrations on. ) and offer his service either directly to the accused persons, or through his relatives or friends who followed him to court. After a certain meagre fee is paid. The lawyer will appear before the magistrate and orally apply for bail, which in most cases would be granted if the offence(s) is a bailable one.

Being a lawyer in today's Nigeria is overrated, studying in school for 5 years to become a lawyer is a waste of time. To me it's more meaningful if used as a part time job while you venture into business or entrepreneurship.
You sound like a lawyer in distress, I'm not saying you're.

Law is a trade with so many opportunities. You have only listed one which falls under Law of torts but there are property law, commercial law, Law of Agreement, tax law, trusts, marriage law, and so many others.

Even the charge and bail you spoke of could also be very lucrative for a lawyer who knows what it's doing.

Lawyers are eligible to work everywhere and in all industries. Banking, oil and gas, technology, Sovereign Wealth Funds, WHO, WTO, government, civil service, just name any sphere of life, lawyers are needed.

I currently hold a degree in arts but law is my dream profession, there's so much more I can achieve as a lawyer. I can get an LLB in 2 years through graduate entry in the UK, Nigeria is 5 years, what a waste of time, then I can choose to do either SRA or Bar exams. I prefer SRA but Bar could hold its own opportunities.

Lack of jobs is a big problem in Nigeria, all professional courses are affected - doctors were advised to go into farming by the minister of labour, there are jobless doctors and engineers all over the place.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

See An Unimaginable Way A School Teacher Gets Additional Income. / Choices You Might End-up Regretting In 10 Years / Why Are Some Female Customer Care Assistant Bankers Hyper-reactive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.