Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,256 members, 7,880,971 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 10:12 AM

Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn (31685 Views)

Three Nigerian Sisters Who Are All Pilots Become Centre Of Attraction / Bristow Helicopters Sacks 100 Pilots, Engineers / Two Nigerian Sisters Who Are Pilots (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by Innov8ve1: 8:24pm On Aug 03, 2020
Nawah o
Guys are you bored? Join this telegram group to get the funniest memes and viral videos on social media today

Click link below to join
https://www.naijadailyfeed.com/p/memes.html

Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by emerged01(m): 8:28pm On Aug 03, 2020
This is the right time to make demands from govt. it is definitely the right time! Enough of corruption!!
Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by sugah: 8:32pm On Aug 03, 2020
abnot:

In my opinion the pilots were greedy and inconsiderate based on the little I know and read about. .

https://newswirengr.com/2020/08/03/breaking-air-peace-allegedly-sacks-most-of-its-pilots-over-pay-dispute/
You should read this to get a better picture.... at least it has mails attached for evidence.
I didn't see any pleading, all I saw was a typical Nigerian businessman attitude...threatening to shutdown the airline instead of hashing out an issue with a professional workforce, Lying with reckless abandon (after deducting 30% of March salaries so he wouldn't sack anyone still went ahead to sack 15 people before this 69). When it was rumored last week or so that the pilots went on strike they issued a memo claiming it was the job of detractors..how come they are now admitting to it? They didn't pay their staff for 4 months but were busy doing giveaway on Instagram.
I really loathe Nigerian companies

4 Likes

Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by frog12: 8:35pm On Aug 03, 2020
all these small airlines they go out of BUSINESS
Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by Kobicove(m): 8:37pm On Aug 03, 2020
helinues:

Why will the news shock Buhari? Is Air peace the only airline in Nigeria?

It is currently the only serious Nigerian airline
Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by faceland: 8:38pm On Aug 03, 2020
sugah:

Where did you read this one?
Not according to this more detailed report

https://newswirengr.com/2020/08/03/breaking-air-peace-allegedly-sacks-most-of-its-pilots-over-pay-dispute/

I wish people would stop thinking like civil-servants. They were sitting at home all day, they got pay-cut and they are protesting? You are paid to solve a problem! If you are not solving a problem, you don't deserve pay!

5 Likes

Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by Killdemboth: 8:40pm On Aug 03, 2020
abnot:

Exactly. We get so beclouded my personal interest here. I have stayed in Ethiopia and also visited Kenya, Rwanda and Tanzania. With the exception of Rwanda all these countries run strongly protectionist regimes. The possibility of hiring a nigerian pilot over a pilot of their own is very low. Nigerians ought to know by now that the best way out is building a strong aviation industry for your country instead of dragging down and tearing apart a carrier that is trying to build capacity against the odds just to have your way. Look at how emirates terminated the contracts of its pilots in the most embarrassing way. If they were Emiratis they wouldn't have treated them like that

I tell you. Especially country like Kenya, they'd rather close their Airline than employ a foreigner over their own citizen. They are that shrewd.

2 Likes

Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by EdiskyHarry: 8:45pm On Aug 03, 2020
God bless ibom airline
God bless gov udom Emmanuel
God bless akwa ibom state
God bless the United States of Niger delta.

2 Likes

Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by Reference(m): 8:47pm On Aug 03, 2020
Story, story. Everyrhing is Covid blamed but the truth is that with an ever disintegrating and sinking middle class the airline industry will be sucked into the abyss.

Since OBJ signed the death warrant of Nigeria's middle class with the nationalisation policy of the late Murtala the avarage lifespan of any new airline is a decade.

Air Peace is just on that cycle of ineviatable decline. Transport anywhere in the world is a mass market sector do I cannot see how any airline cayeeing for 1 percent of the population is expected to survive any economic shock whatsoever thoughless of making a profit.

Bon Voyage Air Peace. Join the historical list of jet setters.

1 Like

Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by Reference(m): 8:50pm On Aug 03, 2020
EdiskyHarry:
God bless ibom airline

Ibom Air wll last a bit longer at taxpayers expense of course then the goverment will shut it down as well as a profligate white elephant in a decade and a half"s time. Nigeria doesn't have what it takes to operate a sustainable aviation industry.

2 Likes

Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by EdiskyHarry: 8:51pm On Aug 03, 2020
Reference:

Ibom Air wll last a bit longer at taxpayers expense of course then the goverment will shut it down as well as a profligate white elephant in a decade and a half"s time. Nigeria doesn't have what it takes to operate a sustainable aviation industry.
Ibom air all the way.

1 Like

Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by pompeiimagnus: 8:53pm On Aug 03, 2020
seunmsg:
Why blame CoronaVirus when it’s more convenient and politically expedient to blame Buhari? Buhari that caused shoprite to close all its shop and leave Nigeria must also be responsible for this. grin grin grin
See link below for your answer. Where did the emergency loan Buhari borrowed from the IMF disappear to? Many countries have financial packages to support industries e.g. airlines, severely impacted by the pandemic, for paying workers salaries since these companies aren't making any money at the moment. All the taxes these companies pay to the federal government, where are they? The government was busy fooling people with audio palliatives...
https://www.imf.org/en/News/Articles/2020/04/28/pr20191-nigeria-imf-executive-board-approves-emergency-support-to-address-covid-19

3 Likes

Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by abnot: 8:58pm On Aug 03, 2020
sugah:

You should read this to get a better picture.... at least it has mails attached for evidence.
I didn't see any pleading, all I saw was a typical Nigerian businessman attitude...threatening to shutdown the airline instead of hashing out an issue with a professional workforce, Lying with reckless abandon (after deducting 30% of March salaries so he wouldn't sack anyone still went ahead to sack 15 people before this 69). When it was rumoured last week or so that the pilots went on strike they issued a memo claiming it was the job of detractors..how come they are now admitting to it? They didn't pay their staff for 4 months but were busy doing giveaway on Instagram.
I really loathe Nigerian companies

Sugah this link is what I read before writing this. In march I never foresaw the lockdown extending beyond the announced two weeks. If your employer has a history of not owing you or cheating you and something like this happens give them a benefit of doubt. With the lockdowns and grounding for 4 months I don't need to see their financial statement to have an idea of how bad things are. I don't think anyone foresaw things getting this bad in march.
Regarding the threat what I saw was an emotional response from a founder who began to believe some insider pilots were out there to frustrate the dream as they carried out a protest at the airport. The airline is still a start-up and too young to be having it's pilots openly protesting as that will drive away passengers and further plough the airline downwards.

The airport terminals are empty as passenger traffic is picking up slowly. Not the best of times for everyone in the sector. If emirates can terminate thousands of contracts without blinking why can't pilots negotiate with their employers in line with the realities of today ?

They were confident last week that they'd be able to come to a compromise which I believe engineered them to deny the pilots striking story that was out in the media. But as it turned out another disruption was planned for today and they were better off taking precautionary actions with the hope that the business climate will improve.

5 Likes

Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by Purelypure(m): 9:01pm On Aug 03, 2020
They should tow the path of British Airway where all pilots accepted pay - cut, instead of sacking some
Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by Johnnyessence(m): 9:09pm On Aug 03, 2020
covid-19 virus caused it.

1 Like

Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by segun18(m): 9:10pm On Aug 03, 2020
johnmartus:
What right did Onyema have to sack anyone In peace airline. Airpeace belong to Nigerians .

No my brother. Airpeace is not a Govt owned Airline. Pls kindly do your research well

1 Like

Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by seborrhic: 9:10pm On Aug 03, 2020
LastProphet:

Airline with 7 planes has 69 pilots? Nonsense! No airline in Nigeria can have 20 pilots not to talk of 69, nonsense
Even d 3000 workforce is a scam.
I av never for one day seen Onyeama as a genuine businessman.He is a corporate Yahoo man to me.
Arik to me was even better than him,Arik just took poor financial and business decisions,trying to grow too fast,too soon, without the requisite funds coming partly from the business operations itself and not entirely borrowed funds.
I maybe wrong though.

4 Likes

Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by seunmsg(m): 9:11pm On Aug 03, 2020
pompeiimagnus:

See link below for your answer. Where did the emergency loan Buhari borrowed from the IMF disappear to? Many countries have financial packages to support industries e.g. airlines, severely impacted by the pandemic, for paying workers salaries since these companies aren't making any money at the moment. All the taxes these companies pay to the federal government, where are they? The government was busy fooling people with audio palliatives...
https://www.imf.org/en/News/Articles/2020/04/28/pr20191-nigeria-imf-executive-board-approves-emergency-support-to-address-covid-19

How many African countries gave financial packages to support industries?
Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by poiunt: 9:32pm On Aug 03, 2020
Chii59:

And some are passionate about their work, just that some kinds of jobs like being a pilot, in this case will always require you to work for someone, one way or another.

true
Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by omenka(m): 9:35pm On Aug 03, 2020
Brandstudio01:
One of the aftermath of COVID 19
Afermath? When we're still not done with it yet?

Sure you know what that word means? undecided
Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by Miracle1991: 9:38pm On Aug 03, 2020
Since FBI discover the source of his money the guy don broke.
Niger Delta money is not coming again.

4 Likes

Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by sugah: 9:58pm On Aug 03, 2020
abnot:

Sugah this link is what I read before writing this. In march I never foresaw the lockdown extending beyond the announced two weeks. If your employer has a history of not owing you or cheating you and something like this happens give them a benefit of doubt. With the lockdowns and grounding for 4 months I don't need to see their financial statement to have an idea of how bad things are. I don't think anyone foresaw things getting this bad in march.
Regarding the threat what I saw was an emotional response from a founder who began to believe some insider pilots were out there to frustrate the dream as they carried out a protest at the airport. The airline is still a start-up and too young to be having it's pilots openly protesting as that will drive away passengers and further plough the airline downwards.

The airport terminals are empty as passenger traffic is picking up slowly. Not the best of times for everyone in the sector. If emirates can terminate thousands of contracts without blinking why can't pilots negotiate with their employers in line with the realities of today ?

They were confident last week that they'd be able to come to a compromise which I believe engineered them to deny the pilots striking story that was out in the media. But as it turned out another disruption was planned for today and they were better off taking precautionary actions with the hope that the business climate will improve.
The bolded is very incorrect. A pilots office is the cockpit and I gathered they needed a place to come together and discuss on a line of action to resolve the issue hence the carpark of the airport was chosen. (Insider source)
While its common knowledge that the aviation industry worldwide and even Nigeria was badly affected by the coronavirus, they were the only airlines that were still flying during the lockdown with chartered and evacuation flights so how come they are the only ones that sacked pilots that have refused to risk their lives for a meagre 20% of their salaries?
What I saw is an outburst of a proud man that believes he can get away with anything cos I don't see how a first reaction to an issue will be a threat to close down his own company..he obviously feels he is doing them a favor by running the airline but forgetting that an airline cannot survive without pilots and engineers.
Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by GamalNasser: 10:00pm On Aug 03, 2020
Salewa95:

You always say nonsense.

Is retail not hit by global pandemic? Yes or No?

The only retail still booming are the one that offer online services like Amazon.

But the usual model of Shoprite will be hit by the Covid situation no matter where they are on earth.

Do you know how many retail company that filed for bankruptcy in USA alone?

Shoprite made this decision last year before even COVID started and thats why revenues from NIGERIA wasn't considered in the 2019 financial report Because it was no longer a lead market...stop decieving yourself

1 Like

Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by LastProphet: 10:03pm On Aug 03, 2020
seborrhic:

Even d 3000 workforce is a scam.
I av never for one day seen Onyeama as a genuine businessman.He is a corporate Yahoo man to me.
Arik to me was even better than him,Arik just took poor financial and business decisions,trying to grow too fast,too soon, without the requisite funds coming partly from the business operations itself and not entirely borrowed funds.
I maybe wrong though.

You are very correct the guy is a classical yahoo business man

2 Likes

Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by NkemChukwudi: 10:04pm On Aug 03, 2020
VirginSearcher:
They should leave even if it is South Africa, Kenya, Ethiopia or Rwanda they will get a good job as pilot

Fantasist!
Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by sugah: 10:11pm On Aug 03, 2020
faceland:

I wish people would stop thinking like civil-servants. They were sitting at home all day, they got pay-cut and they are protesting? You are paid to solve a problem! If you are not solving a problem, you don't deserve pay!

Pray tell, how are they not solving a problem by flying passengers safely to their destinations?

A smart phone isn't supposed to be smarter than the owner........

1 Like

Re: Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn by nnamdi640: 10:15pm On Aug 03, 2020
helinues:

Why will the news shock Buhari? Is Air peace the only airline in Nigeria?
Don't you know that the man called Buhari is a shock absorber, anything can shock him.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Happy To Finally Resume My Aircraft Maintenance Engineering Licence Course / 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) / 5 Common Mistakes Graduates Make After Graduation That Hurts Their Success

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.