Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,622 members, 7,888,987 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 07:51 PM

What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? (19789 Views)

How To Discipline Your Child The Smart And Healthy Way-UNICEF / Marital Discipline: 3 Ways To Discipline Your Spouse / My Aunt Doesn't Want Me To Discipline Her Children. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Oghenerobo2002(m): 6:27pm On Aug 12, 2020
SegFault:

Wow and out of all the ones that did not have "peer influence" or "bad parenting" where are they? So all the Nigerians that have been seeing went through "bad parents" and "peer influence" complete rubbish, I tell you. Flogging a child does nothing except for expose that child to violence, I can tell you that 90% of African fathers beat their wives and believe that it is a good thing, what about the huge amount of corrupt people in this country? Let us not continue with those questions self.
A child grows up to make decisions for his/herself, hence bad society. You can't tell me that the whites are better than us when it comes to parenting. I must add that hitting the wives is out of the equation
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Hathor5(f): 7:05pm On Aug 12, 2020
Give them a time out, e.g. make them sit in a corner. The younger the child, the shorter the time they should sit. A few minutes will do.

Take away their favorite toy/game for a day.

Don't let them see their friends/play outside for 1-3 days.

Make them do some extra chores.

Reduce their pocket money if they get any.

Don't allow them to watch TV for a day or two.

Don't allow them to eat sweets/dessert after dinner.

Let them write a short text in which they reflect on their deed and why what they did is wrong.

Tell them to confess they are the culprit if they wronged someone secretly (e.g. neighbor) and tell them to apologize.

And if they are old enough, always discuss with them why what they did is wrong.

Never punish in anger. Calm down first.

Don't punish to punish. Your goal is to achieve a change in behavior and understanding.

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by mhizoma(f): 7:50pm On Aug 12, 2020
when a child misbehaves

you caution the child

give him/her time out that is facing the wall for 10 mins at a corner

flogging the child but this is when the two above didn't work
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Abiodunspectre(m): 9:16pm On Aug 12, 2020
Beating a child when they do something wrong will only worsen their behavior. So in most cases all you need is the right help. FCMB is launching her Digital Health Advisory Services tomorrow in collaboration with Wellvis.org which will make it easier for Nigerians to access quality healthcare from the convenience of their homes, offices or even on the go. https://on.fcmb.com/30HnRLF
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Vyzz: 9:22pm On Aug 12, 2020
Glorylynn:
Who are you and what have you become grin grin?Pele o liquid metal grin grin wink .... Well I used to think flogging is a good way of correcting kids but right now my OT has changed

Bro, I was talking about me...

I know the type of kid I was back then and if it wasn't for my dad's strictness and my mama's advice... I would have made so many terrible mistake that would have affected this me....

Those things helped reshape me... I don't k ow for u or others thats why I said "for me"..

It worked on me...

Am not sure about u guys...
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Nobody: 9:46pm On Aug 12, 2020
A child or children are gift from God, But how can one be a good parent?
Let the bible God's word answer the question/
Visit https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/wp20150601/how-to-be-a-good-parent/
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by buzorcharles(m): 10:08pm On Aug 12, 2020
Starlight10:
aww thats cute, but you need to look a bit longer and ensure he understands he needs to serve his punishment since hitting him is never an option.

My boy has the energy of 2 boys. He can't sit at a place for more than 2 minute's even when watching his favourite cartoon. He never believe the word NO.
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by WeRblessed(f): 11:11pm On Aug 12, 2020
Never hit a child

Speak/correct them with love

Answer their questions

Live your words/practice what you preach.
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Thazard(m): 12:48am On Aug 13, 2020
Sensitivity:
Thank me later grin
Lol
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by themaestro08(m): 11:51am On Aug 13, 2020
Positive parenting - the principle that no child is bad, only good and bad behaviour. Cues from this method include:
• no violence or abuse
• effective communication
• encouraging good behaviour with rewards, praises, compliment and so on.

this method of parenting has prove to be incredibly effective. Its a vast topic but IMHO its the best way of raising a child.
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by themaestro08(m): 12:01pm On Aug 13, 2020
Righteousness89:
Stick and Carrot Approach!

[s][/s]You Thoroughly Discipline the Child when He needs to be Disciplined! Do not Spare the Rod!

You also Cuddle and Show Him/her love after that.

There is Nothing Ancient about Flogging a Child.. if you fail to Discipline your Child, He/She will Discipline you when the time comes..

Flogging is a Form of Discipline, and if he/She needs to be flogged, don't Spare the Rod.[s][/s].

You should lost custody of your kids if you have any. You are a dangerous and primitive human being, I find you right repulsive and obnoxious.

I have received all manners of the flogging you are advocating for here, and it change nothing. In fact it make me realise how right I have been for sticking to what I morally believe to be right. All that needles pain haven't change me(even if it ever does then it was only temporary due to being under an authoritarian)

Shame on you man! An abuser and a bully is what you are. Why not trigger a fight with a giant and see how you will be returned to your home in a wheelchair

And you preach gods words here 24/7 . typical religious scammer.
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by themaestro08(m): 12:07pm On Aug 13, 2020
dgr8truth:
Flogging still remains the best form of discipline. Most of us today that are around 35yrs upward are products of no nonsense fathers and luckily how lives turn out well.

Never give in to the intricacies of children, flog them when appropriate, don't play politics with their lives. The earlier we incorporate fear into them the better for our society.

You are very stupid for using the generic term "we" . Not everyone is a primitive child bully and abuser like you. Shame on you!

May I ask? What impact has your generation that were well flogged made? Richer? Moral? Peaceful? Nothing.

Rubbish!
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by dgr8truth(m): 12:52pm On Aug 13, 2020
themaestro08:

You are very stupid for using the generic term "we" . Not everyone is a primitive child bully and abuser like you. Shame on you!

May I ask? What impact has your generation that were well flogged made? Richer? Moral? Peaceful? Nothing.

Rubbish!

Quite sad how you spit out offensive words at me not because I insulted you or deprived you of your happiness but for my own personal comment on a public forum.

Exercise restrain with foul words, and learn to accommodate other people's opinions, not everyone is out for a gutter/pig fight. Shalom!!
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by themaestro08(m): 1:03pm On Aug 13, 2020
dgr8truth:

[s][/s]Quite sad how you spit out offensive words at me not because I insulted you or deprived you of your happiness but for my own personal comment on a public forum.

Exercise restrain with foul words, and learn to accommodate other people's opinions, not everyone is out for a gutter/pig fight. Shalom!![s][/s]

I was harsh on you because not only are you a child abuser you are also advocating violence against children l, which is beyond evil.

I experienced the horrors of child violence first hand and its not pretty. Its sad seeing people like you encouraging appalling behavior .
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by dgr8truth(m): 1:29pm On Aug 13, 2020
themaestro08:

I was harsh on you because not only are you a child abuser you are also advocating violence against children l, which is beyond evil.

I experienced the horrors of child violence first hand and its not pretty. Its sad seeing people like you encouraging appalling behavior .

I am just wondering how is beating a child for an obvious bad acts amounts to child abuse or violence against him/her.

It's a free world, you may choose to discipline your child or not.

As I have said before I am not cutout for a gutter fight and you were not harsh on me, you showed what you really are as a person.
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by themaestro08(m): 2:16pm On Aug 13, 2020
dgr8truth:

I am just wondering how is beating a child for an obvious bad acts amounts to child abuse or violence against him/her.

As I have said before I am not cutout for a gutter fight and you were not harsh on me, you showed what you really are as a person.

A simple question will you beat your spouse if he/she behaves badly? How about your colleague at work? How about you treat your child the same (with respect and empathy)? How about discussing with the child so both of can find a great solution? No. Instead, you choose to be violent for reasons unclear to me

Notice how you throw around the word "beat" , if you are that powerful why not join UFC? And watch how guys like kabib numegovdev will mold you into shape grin

My friend i don't mean any malice, I just want you to understand violence method of parenting, in whatever form, be it kicking, flogging, spanking and so on is counterproductive, ineffective and pose long-term damage to that kid you cherish.
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by cfafang: 5:03pm On Aug 13, 2020
udoekere:
In your own opinion what way do you think is the best to discipline a child

I have read and have seen alot of pic of children being brutalize in the name of discipline which prompted me in creating this thread

so whats the best way to discipline a child without being cruel

this is so true , we parents need to continue to re-learn and unlearn because some of the kind of wrong bringing up would continue to perpertuate
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Image123(m): 3:09am On Aug 14, 2020
kingxsamz:
Flogging is the best way to shape a child, yet Nigerians are still the worst set of humans, even to themselves. Rubbish.

So you assume that flogging is local to Nigeria? Thank God for Internet oh, you will have probably been a cannibal.
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Nobody: 5:34am On Aug 14, 2020
dgr8truth:

Can you beat your wife or some random person on the street because he did something wrong? You guys don't understand the implications of exposing children to violence, by TV, by flogging, by beating your spouse or unfortunately in school. Teaching your children is the best way, tell them something then explain by using examples why something is wrong or right. And once again teach them to reject herd mentality and morality, you will thank yourself later.
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Nobody: 1:16pm On Aug 14, 2020
ModestGal:

Lol, how much is in your bank account?

Why should you in cooperate unnecessary fears in children? Thats why Nigerians youth are one hell of coward people, and their ancestors are still ruling them. What is the benefit of incooperating fears that would make children lack confidence
I love this, nice reply
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by VirginFinder: 11:44pm On Aug 14, 2020
freeborn02:

You don't need all these you are doing. The guy that intentionally write like that, not as if he doesn't know better. So, your corrections won't stop anything or make him to change

But it will stop innocent folks from copying him... cool
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by freeborn02: 12:27am On Aug 15, 2020
VirginFinder:

But it will stop innocent folks from copying him... cool

No one is"innocent" not to know that is not the conventional way to write.

You reason holds no value
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by VirginFinder: 12:49pm On Aug 15, 2020
freeborn02:

No one is"innocent" not to know that is not the conventional way to write.

You reason holds no value

Some are. They have even started. Not everybody here is lettered.
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by mutter(f): 1:12pm On Aug 15, 2020
It is very wrong to hit or flog a child.
It is even more wrong to justify it with the bible.
Some of us just take one text from the bible and read it in isolation.

I grew un in Nigeria and it was the most natural thing to hit a child.
However after some years and allot of reflection i changed my views about hitting children.
It is child abuse.
Kindly watch my video on this topic��

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INZVY06e_OQ

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Quality Nigerian Husbands Will Be Scarce By 2023 - Women Group / Lady Raises Alarm Over Academic Pressures Her Parents Put On Her Brother / Housewife Arrested For Battering Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.