Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,265 members, 7,884,410 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 10:18 AM

IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira - Business (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira (17881 Views)

The 15 Fastest Growing Economies In Africa 2016 — IMF / What Is Devaluation Of Naira? / Landing Cost Of Petrol Increases Because Of Devaluation Of Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by DeeJay20: 11:07am On Feb 21, 2011
EzeUche_:

We need to protect our local industries. Aba should be the manufacturer capital of West Africa, so why open this flood gates?

CO-SIGN. U have my vote!!!

This is the real issue, The Naija Govt should make sure
that Industrial/Capital goods are not on the Banned List for Nigerian Businessmen.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by DeeJay20: 11:17am On Feb 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Quote from: GenBuhari on February 18, 2011, 07:04 PM
Buhari resisted devaluation and IBB came and devalued and ever since 90% Nigerians have been plunged into abject poverty.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is what we are on about

What GenBuhari stated is true, u need to really study your history, i take is
you were alive in the 1980's!!!
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by DeeJay20: 11:27am On Feb 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Quote from: EzeUche_ on February 18, 2011, 08:18 PM
Devaluation was a MAJOR part of the SAPs was it not? Coupled with opening up our economies to free trade.

U - SAID: Devaluing a currency has little or nothing to do with SAP . . . Our SAP package included that.

Where in the World do you get your information from?

IMF recommendation  = SAP = Devaluation of Currency, Its the Heart/Core
of their  Fraud!!!.

I wonder about your understanding of Basic Issues  sometimes 
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by Nobody: 11:33am On Feb 21, 2011
Any attempt to devalue the naira will be met with the Tunisian or Egyptian option. Both the World bank and IMF are tools that the imperialists are using to keep the developing countries perpetually under their grips. Why would any world class financial institution like the IMF advocate a currency devaluation for a consumer based economy like Nigeria? if not that they are pursuing the agenda of their masters.

According to the IMF the yuan is artificially kept low and now the naira is overvalued. They want to protect their economies by making finished goods from china unattractive hence jobs are not outsourced to china. Oil is becoming too expensive and something has to be done about it! Nigeria is about the 6th largest exporter of crude oil……, it may be a good place to start from. GEJ and his team must not take this advice because it is from the pit of hell.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by Nobody: 12:36pm On Feb 21, 2011
[size=18pt]WHY NOT SCRAP THE NAIRA

Adopt the US Dollar?

WHY NOT?

WHY NOT?

Or the chinese Yuan ?
[/size]
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by manny4life(m): 2:03pm On Feb 21, 2011
coldhearts:

my bad, apparently your problem is reading cos i said "dump the dollar if needed" and Nigeria may be a mere country to you but it is not to me. Anyway  emphasis on "if needed or come up with a better idea"- (an acknowledgement that my idea wasn't necessarily all that) . Eitherway, any idea can be used as a bargaining tool against devalue.

Yes even a few countries like Russia, China, south korea and many more considered that last year, i'm not sure if they did that yet.
I may not be good in business/ monetary issues but i do know that the dollar is overvalued which can have a long term negative effect on economies of the world even in Nigeria - common sense (if you did not get this point- go and google it up or read some books, it will help with your reading abilities too); perhaps IMF needs to focus on that dollar first before heading for the Naira or mere naira in your case.

It's ok I would accept you bad but reading is certainly not my weakest point. "DUMP THE DOLLAR IF NEEDED" is simply NOT a bargaining tool to be used against devaluation. Dumping the dollar is an option to be considered not now, perhaps in the future.

You are right, Treasury secretaries of big economic nations gathered in 2009 at the World Bank Group In Penn. Ave Washington for a Three day Summit after Mr. Tim Geithner became U.S. Treasury Secretary. They talked about the almighty $$$, they did not reach an agreement. Countries talked about U.S. debt instruments that was affecting global economic balance, yet they did not agree. If I recollect, Russia proposed to trade with the middle east a handful of its gas resource using gold standards, at least that was some way of dissing the Almighty $$$, yet these countries are very careful about the $$$. Last year, Mr. Obama was at the World Economic Summit where he accused China of devaluing its currency to spur demand of its products driving their economic boom, China in turn accused U.S. of its debt instruments and the reason it dragging down the world economy and a need to gradually introduce another currency to gradually replace the dollar in the long run.  Anyway I won't go into further details, but the dollar is overvalued because it worked hard to get there not through any other means.

The $$$ holds the highest trading standards and volume against any other trading currency in the world (Pounds and Euros) combined. The ONLY Negative effects it's having on world economies is because U.S. has the largest debt instruments, lots of countries hold U.S. treasury bonds and because of lagging deficits with over spending (the most), that's gradually weakening the $$$. Just to correct you, it's not affecting the world trade/economies because of its value; why won't a country hold its reserves in a high standard valued currency. Why would Nigeria for instance choose euro over dollar when dollar has 10x higher volume than euro. Any attempt to devalue the $$$ in a small % point;  in my opinion would grind many countries to a halt for instance like China. That is the reason why U.S. is very cautious about it's Almighty $$$

I have no response to your "try and read up some books"; I claim no expertise knowledge, but at least I can share some personal and educative knowledge with you.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by manny4life(m): 2:36pm On Feb 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

What Most Nigerians have experienced is corruption - not the result of common sense implementation of devaluation as one could obtain in a more common sense environment (corruption not a major factor).

Knowing the meaning of the term, DEVALUTION, DOES NOT suddenly give one understanding of what the situation really is. As I have said earlier, DEVALUATION in and of itself is NOT AN EVIL. It is used when it is necessary-- keyword NECESSARY. Many countries have in the past and previous times successfully devalued their currency to their advantage, so I see no reason for irrational reaction at the mere idea of devaluation, even worse a mere proposal from the IMF/world bank. From a majority of the comments on the issue it is easy to gather that many are quite unaware of the base situation we are in, financially, as a nation. So, I would not take most of the commenter seriously, and certainly would not support any of them speaking on my behalf, or the nations.

We have watched billions drain out from right under our noses in our democracy. Simply knowing the definition of a term and when it applies DOES NOT make one an expert.

No matter how many terms one can claim to know, there remains a big difference between an INFORMED opinion, and an opinion based on rumours and fears created  out of more rumours and fears.

** edited

In your opinion, why do u support devaluing th $$$?

I would make no excuse for anyone against this proposal; while they nor I claim expertise on the matter, they offer individual assessment on the issue. Ms. Kobo, I don't mean any offense but forgive me but have you done an open-ended research that involves gathering real data (not book data), working on that data and finally presenting your finding to be used as a forecast. That's exactly what's going on here; this is a like research topic for all Nlers and we are asked since we have this problem, what are your views on this issue. Some are proponents (you) while others are opponents (I), we are being asked to look beyond book numbers and focus on real market/public data or assessment to present our findings.

From my conclusion, before we devalue we need to know where we stand in production of goods (not just services). Book (real)data is telling us we are growing @ about 7%, which is quite above average for a developing nation, but the question is ARE WE DEVELOPING? You don't need what govt reports to do your assessment; pick a state as a sample, then look at what standards advanced developing nations which have cities of 15 million or more people have and then scale that back by at least on a 1/3 ratio or 33.87% to throw that into Lagos and then tell me what your findings are. You would be amazed to find that Lagos (the economic backbone of Nigeria is lagging behind). You talked about China, pick a city in China, perform your analysis and submit your findings; you will find out the NIGERIA isn't developing; no good or improved basic transport networks (including road, rails), low utility infrastructures, and the list goes on.

The Nlers looked at all these factors and then concluded that it won't be a good decision for our dear country to devalue its currency. China kept her currency low only [b]AFTER[/b]it started to recognize production export boom and NOT BEFORE. Again until you have a ground basis for devaluing a currency, do not attempt to do so. Devaluing of a currency is meant to keep products/services at a competitive rate and as for me, I don't see one.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by coldhearts(f): 2:50pm On Feb 21, 2011
@manny4life
ok i see your point a bit but i cannot comment cos i'm not that good in business/monetary issues but on a less serious note -what kind of hard work did the dollar do to get high up there, jumping ropes, running, cleaning out competitors at will cheesy . Time to get the naira working but i doubt that will happen with the IMF - that lazy naira angry.
I might be tempted to even agree with the person above you which is to adopt the chinese yuan or dollar, not sure if that is wise though, i'm still in favor of the naira. Now should the need arise, preferrably yuan cos the dollar is risky right now judging from what you wrote.
Ok i derailed, i'd let the experts handle it but i know that the Naira should NOT devalue any further. I think some people here explained how it works in lay man's terms e.g kazey's post- i think that just about says it all.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by Kobojunkie: 3:20pm On Feb 21, 2011
manny4life:

In your opinion, why do u support devaluing th $$$?

The above tells me me you don't even understand my stance on this at all.
manny4life:

You don't need what govt reports to do your assessment; pick a state as a sample, then look at what standards advanced developing nations which have cities of 15 million or more people have and then scale that back by at least on a 1/3 ratio or 33.87% to throw that into Lagos and then tell me what your findings are. You would be amazed to find that Lagos (the economic backbone of Nigeria is lagging behind). You talked about China, pick a city in China, perform your analysis and submit your findings; you will find out the NIGERIA isn't developing;  no good or improved basic transport networks (including road, rails), low utility infrastructures, and the list goes on.

NO, I disagree! you do need government reports to do your assessment and to proffer your solutions please. I mean doctors do need access to a patient's record, and understanding of the actual patient's situation, before they can prescribe solutions.

See, I didn't come back in until you suggested having nairalanders sign petitions to STOP the CBN from implementing this particular PROPOSED solution. I can look around much of nigeria and also conclude from just that, that the 7% growth numbers we have been throwing about for the last 2 years is FALSE by following your method there. But maybe when I see the numbers, I will find out that it is possible to have 7% growth, 8 quarters straight and still see no sign of development in the cities and towns, and lives of people. Who knows . . . so no, you need data.

I believe the Naira was devalued in 2008 by Soludo, and the bottom has yet to drop out since then. I don't know why no one seems to want to mention that. Who knows!!!

I would rather we have Sanusi make the decision right now than try to open this one up to nairalanders who themselves have opinions that are not clued in on the facts but born out of their fears of the mighty IMF being the problem in it all. grin
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by manny4life(m): 3:58pm On Feb 21, 2011
coldhearts:

@manny4life
ok i see your point a bit but i cannot comment cos i'm not that good in business/monetary issues but on a less serious note -what kind of hard work did the dollar do to get high up there, jumping ropes, running, cleaning out competitors at will cheesy . Time to get the naira working but i doubt that will happen with the IMF - that lazy naira angry.
I might be tempted to even agree with the person above you which is to adopt the chinese yuan or dollar, not sure if that is wise though, i'm still in favor of the naira. Now should the need arise, preferrably yuan cos the dollar is risky right now judging from what you wrote.
Ok i derailed, i'd let the experts handle it but i know that the Naira should NOT devalue any further. I think some people here explained how it works in lay man's terms e.g kazey's post- i think that just about says it all.

It's ok to comment after all it's nairaland and not a national debate; however the $$$ got to its high is during it's economic boom. Let's set aside their debts for a second, U.S. has the highest GDP per person, U.S. has the highest export figures though China exported a whole lot after U.S., U.S. economy unlike others is one to reckon with. The dollar got to its top spot because of its fiscal and monetary policies; the $$$ is a friendlier currency that for instance euro and pound or any other because of its economy. So Yes if you call all u explained why the $$$ jumped to its spot like cleaning its competitors out, then YES. The dollar is risky and the time I last checked, it was at "moderate risk" not high nor very high risk. Why do u think the U.S. congress proposed not to increase the debt ceiling (the highest debt can go), that is to reduce expenditure, cut on their deficits and strengthen the $$$ that is currently shaky. Once $$$ remains confident, U.S. can reduce it's debt by at least 50%, then things would be back to normal.

Using the yuan isn't a good idea for a several reasons; that currency is really undervalued so why hold your reserve in something that's not worth s/h/i/t in the international exchange? If the Yuan wants to take over, then it would revalue it's currency but keep in mind that that will slow down their economy because they are less competitive. No country proposed to let their currency take over $$$, for several fears and people like you and I, our confidence index is higher in the dollar/pound/or euro than the Yuan or any other currency otherwise. That is why these Treasury Secretaries could not agree on what nation to take the lead but resolved for the U.S. to begin cutting expenditure to strengthen the $$$ to boost economic trade confidence and what other standards could be used to deviate from the $$$.

Sorry I could not explain in lay mans terms, but on the contrary, I am against devaluation of currency like that of Nigeria Naira; it's unsafe for the fellow Nigerian nor its economy and I'm totally against it. Though we are lagging behind on so many things due to corruption, but this proposal would cause more harm than good in the long run because we are still corrupt. Corruption is the key, and if we weren't corrupt, devaluation wouldn't have been an option for us.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by kulutempa: 4:01pm On Feb 21, 2011
@Kobojunkie, you have raised some very important issues here and I have to say that the question we should be asking ourselves is simply this:  

If you have savings and you keep spending it on things like expensive toys which you think will impress your neighbours, what happens when you run out of money?   Is it not better to invest in things that will improve your station in life such as skills training, further education etc?  

I believe these are the same questions a country blowing through her reserves to defend her currency should ask herself.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by auwal87(m): 4:07pm On Feb 21, 2011
So, does it mean that $1 will equal N1 Trillion in the next 8 years? undecided
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by manny4life(m): 4:13pm On Feb 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

[b]The above tells me me you don't even understand my stance on this at all.
[/b]NO, I disagree! you do need government reports to do your assessment and to proffer your solutions please. I mean doctors do need access to a patient's record, and understanding of the actual patient's situation, before they can prescribe solutions.

See, I didn't come back in until you suggested having nairalanders sign petitions to STOP the CBN from implementing this particular PROPOSED solution. I can look around much of nigeria and also conclude from just that, that the 7% growth numbers we have been throwing about for the last 2 years is FALSE by following your method there. But maybe when I see the numbers, I will find out that it is possible to have 7% growth, 8 quarters straight and still see no sign of development in the cities and towns, and lives of people. Who knows . . . so no, you need data.

I believe the Naira was devalued in 2008 by Soludo, and the bottom has yet to drop out since then. I don't know why no one seems to want to mention that. Who knows!!!

I would rather we have Sanusi make the decision right now than try to open this one up to nairalanders who themselves have opinions that are not clued in on the facts but born out of their fears of the mighty IMF being the problem in it all.  grin

Madam Kobo, no one is disputing Mr. Sanusi position or otherwise, you live here in the states, when a proposal is made particularly something that has to do with the public finance, you see they call meetings (not just one but several) to find out best options to be used to maximize a situation. Nairalander have an opinion be it out of fear or courage, knowledge or stupidity, these should all be accounted for during a decision making process and if Sanusi is on Nairaland, I think he should listen to the most silly opinions and relate to the fears of the people of Nigeria. Nigeria is growing on an average of 7% by IMF, and by 9% by World Bank and this was last year. Growth in an economy is bound to be somewhat consistent unless a major change affects its stability either negative or positive. It's true that a growth of 7%, you can see the difference in cities, but I think you are confusing growth with development. Nigeria is growing and its growth is consistent but we are not using our growth to transform into development. There is inconsistent distribution of wealth to effect development, there is stagnancy in govt. resources readily available to trasform growth to developments. Nigeria is growing per @ that rate with relative to its GDP that's what they mean, but we not developing so please don't confuse the two.

Yes I understand your stance all along; I was only surprised at one of your responses.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by manny4life(m): 4:21pm On Feb 21, 2011
Like seriously, can you guys stop it already with this " Nigeria is blowing away her reserve to defend her currency". I have asked before and ask again, someone please let me know how Nigeria is defending or propping up her currency?

auwal87:

So, does it mean that $1 will equal N1 Trillion in the next 8 years? undecided

LOL, that would be SUPER HYPERINFLATION, It will never come to that grin grin grin
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by Kobojunkie: 4:28pm On Feb 21, 2011
manny4life:

Madam Kobo, no one is disputing Mr. Sanusi position or otherwise, you live here in the states, when a proposal is made particularly something that has to do with the public finance, you see they call meetings (not just one but several) to find out best options to be used to maximize a situation. Nairalander have an opinion be it out of fear or courage, knowledge or stupidity, these should all be accounted for during a decision making process and if Sanusi is on Nairaland, I think he should listen to the most silly opinions and relate to the fears of the people of Nigeria.

I disagree!!! Please also mention that when meetings are called on these issues here in the states, INFORMED parties are invited,  not the UNINFORMED, to speak on the issues. Nairalanders definitely have a right to personal opinions but when it comes to the decision making process to rescue our economy, I don't know any company out there that invites the UNINFORMED simply because they have a dictionary and have looked up the meaning of the terms. cheesy

manny4life:

Nigeria is growing on an average of 7% by IMF, and by 9% by World Bank and this was last year. Growth in an economy is bound to be somewhat consistent unless a major change affects its stability either negative or positive. It's true that a growth of 7%, you can see the difference in cities, but I think you are confusing growth with development. Nigeria is growing and its growth is consistent but we are not using our growth to transform into development. There is inconsistent distribution of wealth to effect development, there is stagnancy in govt. resources readily available to trasform growth to developments. Nigeria is growing per @ that rate with relative to its GDP that's what they mean, but we not developing so please don't confuse the two.

Again, I know the difference and enough the lectures . Please FOCUS instead on understanding the message more please.

I was using your assessment method to look at our growth too since you claimed it is OK and ACCEPTABLE to not know the details, but by simply taking a look around, still be able to make conclusions on issues like this one.

manny4life:

Yes I understand your stance all along; I was only surprised at one of your responses.

No, I doubt it. Because if you did, I don't see why you ask me why I am in support of devaluation.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by kulutempa: 4:30pm On Feb 21, 2011
manny4life:

Like seriously, can you guys stop it already with this " Nigeria is blowing away her reserve to defend her currency". I have asked before and ask again, someone please let me know how Nigeria is defending or propping up her currency?

LOL,  that would be SUPER HYPERINFLATION, It will never come to that grin grin grin

In the same way that you blow your savings on new clothes to look good and sharp and then ask your bank for an overdraft  grin
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by manny4life(m): 4:45pm On Feb 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I disagree!!! Please also mention that when meetings are called on these issues here in the states, INFORMED parties are invited,  not the UNINFORMED. Nairalanders definitely have a right to personal opinion but when it comes to the decision making process to rescue our economy, I don't know any company out there that invites the UNINFORMED simply because they have a dictionary and have looked up the meaning of the terms. cheesy

Again, I know the difference and enough the lectures . Please FOCUS instead on understanding the message more please.

I was using your assessment method to look at our growth too since you claimed it is OK and ACCEPTABLE to not know the details, but by simply taking a look around, still be able to make conclusions on issues like this one.

No, I doubt it. Because if you did, I don't see why you ask me why I am in support of devaluation.

Ok I don't know about your city and state, but in here in VA we do things differently. I don't know what lecture u are talking about, I still don't knwo what FOCUS u speaking on and what message it si that you don't clearly understand.
I never said it was OK and ACCEPTABLE, use my words and in the context like I used it. I said when u do research (individual assessment aka survey), you don't need book data, u can use market/public assessment to present ur findings. Beside yes, its OK and acceptable because you often tend to find the real opinion rather than biased recorded ones.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by Kobojunkie: 4:53pm On Feb 21, 2011
manny4life:

Ok I don't know about your city and state, but in here in VA we do things differently.
I doubt things are done differently in other states because I have watched CSPAN on days that I am bored out of my mind and it is the same, from state to state. Experts who are INFORMED are called in to educate the law makers, not lay people off the streets. And when people do come in, they come in brandishing numbers and figures to support their side of the issue.
manny4life:

I don't know what lecture u are talking about, I still don't knwo what FOCUS u speaking on and what message it si that you don't clearly understand.
I never said it was OK and ACCEPTABLE, use my words and in the context like I used it.
I referred to this part of your own post. I twisted it using the disparity between growth and development in Nigeria to help you understand how this is not a good way to access any issue.

FROM YOUR OWN POST
You don't need what govt reports to do your assessment; pick a state as a sample, then look at what standards advanced developing nations which have cities of 15 million or more people have and then scale that back by at least on a 1/3 ratio or 33.87% to throw that into Lagos and then tell me what your findings are.
There was absolutely no need for the lecture on the difference between growth and development that followed.
manny4life:

I said when u do research (individual assessment aka survey), you don't need book data, u can use market/public assessment to present your findings. Beside yes, its OK and acceptable because you often tend to find the real opinion rather than biased recorded ones.
Again, the message is, making individual assessments are one thing, but concluding you have enough from that to then want to impact the final decision, which is what I took from your suggestion that nairalanders sign petitions to demand the proposal be rejected, is another.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by Guyman02: 5:12pm On Feb 21, 2011
Afterall Zimbabwe devalued their currency to the extent that even if you throw a million zimbabwean dollar on the streets of Harare; nobody will pick it up. Is that what these guys are now planning for us?
The same IMF that is pushing GEJ to send our soldiers to Ivory Coast and install their puppet and former Deputy Director Allasane Ouattara forcefully into power is now asking him to devalue the Naira? Allah kiyaye!!! angry angry angry
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by Kobojunkie: 5:36pm On Feb 21, 2011
kulutempa:

In the same way that you blow your savings on new clothes to look good and sharp and then ask your bank for an overdraft  grin

I just got what you were saying . . . . ROFLMAO!!
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by kulutempa: 6:25pm On Feb 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I just got what you were saying . . . . ROFLMAO!!

My pleasure Kobojunkie. You see, there are no free lunches and there is always a price to pay, even for looking good for a while. Same thing for countries. My solution is simple: build up your foreign reserves when the going is good just like Joseph did in Egypt during the 7 fat years. If you don't you may live to regret it when the hard times come around as they always do.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by kulutempa: 7:14pm On Feb 21, 2011
BREAKING NEWS: Nigeria resumes oil savings, pledges greater transparency.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-21/nigeria-resumes-saving-from-oil-revenue-pledges-transparency-aganga-says.html

Looks like someone in the government is getting it at last!

I particularly like this comment by one of the economic experts quoted in the article:
"There should be a corresponding increase in reserves whenever oil prices rise. Also when reserves are depleted we should be able to see tangible benefits on the other side which account for that spending"

@Kobojunkie, you weren't far off the mark even though you don't consider yourself an economist. Well done.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by OmoOlorun: 10:53pm On Feb 21, 2011
If they succeed in getting us to devalue our currency again, then we are in trouble. The West uses currency to keep nations of the world under control. When they introduced SAP to us (through those old people that went abroad to study book without the street wisdom of our mothers selling pepper in the market) they said "you need to devalue your currency so that your exports can be cheap outside your shores and you can be competitive. They lied to us and we took the bait. We never exported enough to warrant devaluing or currency to the point that we all became poor. The man on N300 per month remained on it while the money could no longer by a single made in Italy pair of shoes. On the other hand, the same Western Countries through IMF that said we should devalue our currency wants China which has been a major exporter to revalue its currency upwards. China has gained grounds against the West by refusing to comply. They have pegged their currency where it pays them. We in Nigeria should follow suite. We should peg our exchange rate at the place that pays us not where the IMF want us to be. No Country in the world that took IMF ever prospered while under IMF control including New Zealand, Australia. We don't need IMF intervention in our economy. We can take care of ourselves. IMF thanks but no thanks.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by Kobojunkie: 10:56pm On Feb 21, 2011
OmoOlorun:

If they succeed in getting us to devalue our currency again, then we are in trouble. The West uses currency to keep nations of the world under control. When they introduced SAP to us (through those old people that went abroad to study book without the street wisdom of our mothers selling pepper in the market) they said "you need to devalue your currency so that your exports can be cheap outside your shores and you can be competitive. They lied to us and we took the bait. We never exported enough to warrant devaluing or currency to the point that we all became poor. The man on N300 per month remained on it while the money could no longer by a single made in Italy pair of shoes. On the other hand, the same Western Countries through IMF that said we should devalue our currency wants China which has been a major exporter to revalue its currency upwards. China has gained grounds against the West by refusing to comply. They have pegged their currency where it pays them. We in Nigeria should follow suite. We should peg our exchange rate at the place that pays us not where the IMF want us to be. No Country in the world that took IMF ever prospered while under IMF control including New Zealand, Australia. We don't need IMF intervention in our economy. We can take care of ourselves. IMF thanks but no thanks.

Question for you. Do you have any real data to show SAP was to blame, and not the fact that we had a corrupt Government who bungled the implementation of SAP?
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by Kobojunkie: 11:00pm On Feb 21, 2011
“We’ve not been as transparent as we should be, but it’s not because we’re trying to hide anything,” said Aganga, a former executive of Goldman Sachs Group Inc. “It’s just because we’ve not captured our data in the way we should and have not made them available as other countries have made them available.”

The decline in foreign currency reserves increased the risk to the economy from any renewed drop in oil prices, Fitch said.

Reserves, including the excess crude account, slid to $32 billion in December from $42 billion in January 2010 because of the government’s expansionary policy, Aganga said. Some of the money was also used to stabilize the exchange rate, he said.

Transparency

The government is meant to save money when oil prices exceed the estimate in its annual budget. That forecast was set at $65 a barrel for 2011, compared with the $92 oil is currently trading at in New York.

“There should be a corresponding increase in the reserves” whenever oil prices rise, said Bismarck Rewane, chief executive officer of Financial Derivatives Co., a Lagos-based fund manager. Also, when the reserves are depleted, “we should be able to see tangible assets on the other side which account for that spending.”

Nigeria’s Planning Ministry will soon be making information on foreign currency reserves available to the public, Aganga said. Reserves are now rising again, reaching $34 billion on Feb. 16, he said.

A lot more like what @OAMAJ was suggesting should be the case.

The reserves fell from $42 billion down to less than $500 million. Even though Aganga claims it is back up to $34 billion now.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by OmoOlorun: 11:10pm On Feb 21, 2011
Kobojunkie, where on earth has IMF succeeded in turning any nation's economy around? SAP was an off the shelf set of policies which needed to be tailored to our environment before implementation. IMF and World bank have since realized that taking a policy off the shelf without modification only worsens situation in countries they were implemented. At the moment, Ireland got a bailout from IMF which the people have rejected because rather than help their economy, the demand would only harm them. IMF tells you that your civil service needs to be pruned down but they hardly give you a solution to the social problem that will be created when you relieve people of their jobs. The shortcomings are just too numerous to list.

You need to start producing things that are of export quality before you talk about currency manipulation to aid your exports. We had non of those before we devalued our currency. In fact our few export companies died.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by Kobojunkie: 11:12pm On Feb 21, 2011
I did not use the abbreviation IMF in my question to you. Given that we have since then maintained a relationship with the IMF/WorldBank even after the failure of SAP for us,I think it is best to focus on why SAP actually failed us, not waste time on analyzing the relationship between IMF/WorldBank and Nigeria, a relationship which has also benefited us over the years. I am more interested in an answer to what I asked please. Looking at SAP itself, what was it of the SAP policy that failed us? Or was the problem more than we had in place a corrupt regime that failed in implementing the policies contained?
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by OmoOlorun: 11:40pm On Feb 21, 2011
Agreed you did not use IMF. I mentioned IMF because SAP is an offshoot of IMF and World Bank. Key policies in SAP are privatization and deregulation. I do not have the kind of data you require but common sense (which by the way has never failed me and our mothers) tells me where the problem lies. Yes those were carried out and privatization only enriched a few and made amenities out of reach of the masses. Privatization and deregulation (which are key policies of Capitalism) also happened around the world. Greedy and corrupt leaders are as much in the West as they are in Nigeria. If you allege that corruption was the cause of SAP's downfall, why are Western economies failing now? Hasn't free market as we know it failed? I would say greed is the cause of Western downfall. UK and USA jobs have been shipped abroad where higher profit margins are guaranteed. What has become of NITEL's privatization or NEPA or other state owned institutions? Certain things just won't work in Nigeria because our culture and thinking are different. We need to seek out what works for us and implement not what IMF wants.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by Kobojunkie: 11:46pm On Feb 21, 2011
OmoOlorun:

Key policies in SAP are privatization and deregulation.
Are we not just NOW fighting for exactly that? Privatization and Deregulation??

OmoOlorun:

I do not have the kind of data you require but common sense (which by the way has never failed me and our mothers) tells me where the problem lies. Yes those were carried out and privatization only enriched a few and made amenities out of reach of the masses. Privatization and deregulation (which are key policies of Capitalism) also happened around the world. Greedy and corrupt leaders are as much in the West as they are in Nigeria. If you allege that corruption was the cause of SAP's downfall, why are Western economies failing now?[b] Hasn't free market as we know it failed? I would say greed is the cause of Western downfall. UK and USA jobs have been shipped abroad where higher profit margins are guaranteed. What has become of NITEL's privatization or NEPA or other state owned institutions? Certain things just won't work in Nigeria because our culture and thinking are different. [/b]We need to seek out what works for us and implement not what IMF wants.

Wait a minute!! Are you somehow anti-Privatization and Anti-regulation as well?  Cause I don't see you answering the question but rather you seem to be going on with the BLAME GAME instead.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by OmoOlorun: 12:13am On Feb 22, 2011
This is not a blame game issue. I am saying wholesale government withdrawal will not augur well for Nigeria. It will lead to the system being hijacked by a few to the detriment of the majority. We need a system where the government plays an active part in the economy. Those who pushed for deregulation in the West are moving back to some form of regulation. Tighter controls on banks, on trade balances (exports and imports), on migration of labour etc. We in Nigeria are agitating for what has left the West bewildered. We will then find ourselves at the same spot 50 years down the line.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by Kobojunkie: 12:18am On Feb 22, 2011
OmoOlorun:

This is not a blame game issue. I am saying wholesale government withdrawal will not augur well for Nigeria. It will lead to the system being hijacked by a few to the detriment of the majority. We need a system where the government plays an active part in the economy. Those who pushed for deregulation in the West are moving back to some form of regulation. Tighter controls on banks, on trade balances (exports and imports), on migration of labour etc. We in Nigeria are agitating for what has left the West bewildered. We will then find ourselves at the same spot 50 years down the line.

Here is the problem I see with what you are doing. Rather than answering the question, you are feeding me with your opinion of issues, many of which are not even directly connected to the reason why SAP did not work in Nigeria. Privatization and Deregulation do not imply COMPLETE removal of government from the scene. Even out here in the West, it is not interpreted in that way -- I mean the media here is still subject to Government rules and monitored regularly. I am not certain if you have hear of the FEC in the US.

Now, getting back to the question, I am more interested in us discussing why SAP did not work for Nigeria. Reading through the policies, they seem like common sense ideas -- No need for the EXTREME interpretation since that was not even part of the deal. So, what went wrong?

PLEASE leave the west to focus on it's own issues and try to, try hard to answer the question asked instead. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by OmoOlorun: 12:43am On Feb 22, 2011
SAP did not work for us because it was designed for a working system. Nigeria did not have a working and effective framework to make SAP work. Moreover, there are various write ups that show that contrary to IMF and World Bank claim to the contrary, SAP has made developing nations poorer. Take for example major cuts to expenditure on health, education and development while debt repayment is made a priority. The greatest investment any nation could make is the development of the intellect of its people. Will cutting educational budget achieve this? The standard of living of the recipients gets reduced drastically. IMF gave Ireland money at an interest rate that would kill their economy. I was in the UK when this deal was being brokered and I heard the argument the British government was putting across to its people - "we have everything to gain from this deal". They borrowed at about 3% and lent to Ireland through the IMF at about 5%, so they would gain in the long term. The UK's reason for taking part in the bail out was not for Irish interest but to protect British banks exposed to Irish debts. The IMF represents some Western Countries' interest and would kill any economy in order to maintain the position of its current members.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

[photo] Westminister Market In Apapa On Fire / How Can A Nigerian Sign Up For Clickbank Affiliate Program? / Frozen Foods Business.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.