Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,183 members, 7,884,113 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 01:23 AM

Our Language Is Going Dead- A Case Study Of The Ogu (egun) Language Of Badagry - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Our Language Is Going Dead- A Case Study Of The Ogu (egun) Language Of Badagry (1188 Views)

Yewa Land Lagos History (anagos, Eyos, Ogu (egun), Ifonyin, Ije, Sabe And Ketu) / Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. / Our Language Is Going Dead- A Case Study Of The Ogu (egun) Language Of Badagry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Our Language Is Going Dead- A Case Study Of The Ogu (egun) Language Of Badagry by semasir: 10:08am On Feb 23, 2011
One major identity of any race without mincing words is their language. There is absolutely no race without an identified language to its roots. The Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, language is "the system of sounds and words used by humans to express their thoughts and feelings". Taking note of this, I wonder what the future holds for each culture or say ethnic group if their form of expression of feelings and thoughts are lost! A total loss I hear someone say? It is a big shame to cover up one's origin in the name of civilization and exposure.
I was born and nurtured in Badagry and had been living a few of my last four yrs now of my entire life out of Badagry but I can say it with all dignity that I am ashamed of most indigenes of this particular community called Badagry who deny this town of its pride only to come home during periods of their needs to get support and run off without looking back. 'if you fail to impact on your community, your community will fail to regard you'.
To get right on the point, parents are just not worth it being praised for their lack of seriousness to see that at least a minimal of their culture-the language is impacted on their wards; you can imagine a family where both are intra-related and understand the language and they fail to teach their children the ABC of their language? Excuse can be granted to inter-married couples but not sufficient likewise a big shame to those who fail to learn it as well forgetting very soon, history will never forget them to have ignored their moral obligation and with this, make the language extinct.

It is high time we all, regardless of our background, go back and learn our identity and try not to make our identity lost forever in history just like the dinassours had been.
Stand up for a just course now, our language must gain its pride amongst the rest and never be lost forever.

(1) (Reply)

Islamic Tribe Where Women Embrace Sexual Freedoms / Do White People Have Villages ? / Who Has Better Control Of English In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.