Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,990 members, 7,852,341 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 04:35 PM

To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? (2061 Views)

She Came With 3 Friends To Meet Me At The Eatery - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian / 10 Things Most Girls Do When Going To Meet Their Boyfriends / To Meet Or Not To Meet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Atreides(f): 7:26am On Feb 26, 2011
Okay so this is a serious topic and i would very much like serious responses.
About 2 years ago(early 2009) i met this guy on fb. We met on a group page for a show and after a bit he sent me a friend request and we started talking. We have a lot in common-same taste in books,novels,he's funny,he listens,etc etc. I'm not gonna say he's the only one who understands me or any of that romance novel crap because he's not. I have a great family. I'm close to my dad,i'm verry close to my sisters(even though they're older we're like the evil triplets cos we're soo in sync),my best friend's a guy,he's crazy(like batsh*it crazy)but he's dependable;i call him and he's there. I have friends,a social life-my point is,i'm not some lonely,dark serial killer-esque teenager;my life is good. There are lots of people who i can talk to and there are lots of people who understand me-he's just one of them.
He's also older;not with 15 years or something(because that would be gross),but he's significantly older. I've always been able to relate very well to people older than i am so his age was never an issue. Sometimes i'm under a lot of pressure(from my parents,teachers,etc)to get to a certain point,achieve certain goals,and i work well under pressure but it's still pressure. When i talk to him the pressure kinda lessens,it's like he's a safety valve. Or something. He's different from all the guys around me,he's more experienced,he's really intellectual(like he's smart and he helps me with school stuff and we talk politics etc etc),he's cute(not hot,but cUte). So(obviously)i crushed on him(like in 2009). But that's the good thing about crushes-they go away after a bit. Mine did. We stopped talking for a while(in early 2010) because i was busy with my exams and all,but after my exams we started talking again. Somehow the fact that he crushed on me came up,and then i admitted that i crushed on him too at the same time. I was like why didn't he say anything at the time,and he was like he didn't wanna be the creepy online stalker guy who hits on teenage school-girls,and we laughed over it. Before this mutual revelation,he said he was coming to Lagos for work(he lives in Gh) and that would i meet him? And i was like suure,that'd be cool. But when this revelation occured i started to feel awkward about it. Luckily for me,i got the call to start school(Finally!) a few weeks ago and so i left Lagos. In my mind i was thinking,well fate doesnt want us to meet and that's that,only for him to say would i mind it if he took a flight to Benin to come see me?
Right now i'm just having second thoughts about the whole thing. I know he's a good guy-and yes,i know people you meet online can pretend and all that,but people you meet in person can pretend as well. I know he's not some lecherous 60 year old grandpa because we talk,on the phone,we skype,i know he's who he says he is. In the over 2 years we've known each other,he's never crossed any lines,never made any inappropriate suggestions or anything like that-he's just a really good friend who i enjoy talking to. He's the guy who's helped me out with some school stuff,pushed me past my writer's block,just been there. I like to think i'm a good judge of character. The only problem is,now,i'm not sure i wanna meet him.
If you were me,what would you do?
Would you physically meet a person you met online?
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Pweety4me(f): 7:41am On Feb 26, 2011
@OPĀ  cheesy grin I understand how u feel, all of a sudden u get scared of the 'unknown' although u think u know him & all that, girl u just have to be brave sometimes if this guy has done all the above that u wrote & u think he's really worth the risk/chance?of seeing him physically then DO.

But girl are u like in college or something?

I think u can meet him, i believe i would even if i were nervous or somefin, i mean if that person has actually helped in your life then y not?

I'm sure your smart enuff, but always put your safety in the back of your head, don't go meet him in sum dark cage. . .lol jk.

Anyhow goodluck.
smiley
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Tingles(m): 7:53am On Feb 26, 2011
Scared he might not like you in person? Afraid he won't be the guy in your dreams? Now is the time to leave fantasyland, face reality. Just don't meet him alone.
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Atreides(f): 8:03am On Feb 26, 2011
@Pweety,yeah i'm in college. Freshie.
And LOL at meeting him in some dark cage. You know we even talked about it-he was like,maybe i'll come see him in his hotel room(jokingly) and i was like,you wish. Not while i still have a brain in my head. And he's like,yeah,he knows-he was jus messing with me. The plan was i give him directions to a restaurant/fast-food place/whatever-just an open place,and my sisters could even come along(cos being so close means i talk about my family so it's almost like he knows them).
@tingles,the fear of the unknown is there,but i think it's more like the fear of change. I just feel like something will happen. I get this feeling like he's still into me and what if he makes a move,and then there's a shift and everything changes. Dude i just wanted to meet up with a friend,gist a bit and go my way. I don't want to deal with any 'feelings',i don't want a relationship-i like things just the way they are. And i want them to stay that way.
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Pweety4me(f): 8:14am On Feb 26, 2011
Atreides:

@Pweety,yeah i'm in college. Freshie.
And LOL at meeting him in some dark cage. You know we even talked about it-he was like,maybe i'll come see him in his hotel room(jokingly) and i was like,you wish. Not while i still have a brain in my head. And he's like,yeah,he knows-he was jus messing with me. The plan was i give him directions to a restaurant/fast-food place/whatever-just an open place,and my sisters could even come along(cos being so close means i talk about my family so it's almost like he knows them).
@tingles,the fear of the unknown is there,but i think it's more like the fear of change. I just feel like something will happen. I get this feeling like he's still into me and what if he makes a move,and then there's a shift and everything changes. Dude i just wanted to meet up with a friend,gist a bit and go my way. I don't want to deal with any 'feelings',i don't want a relationship-i like things just the way they are. And i want them to stay that way.

@Atreides Yea i so get it, fear of the unknown basically, from his side & urs, i dunno about u making it a sisters affair? grin tongue

Lol just go mehn. . .if u don't u won't ever know, i know its sucks not being able to control what some1 may do
undecided
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Orton10(m): 8:17am On Feb 26, 2011
Babe how old is this guy anyway??
And you said he works??
C'mon that should means that he's older than you wif nofin less than 5 good years!!
If I'm not mistaken, this is exactly what you gurls call Infatuation right??

Before I comment of this, how old is he??
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Nobody: 8:21am On Feb 26, 2011
Sound like a nice guy.

But as you know, many people have different personality on - line.

If you must meet him, lower your expectations, as to avoid disappointment. Meet him in a crowded place, (me and you know you are so small grin so do not take such risk) in fact go with a friend two if possible.
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Atreides(f): 8:23am On Feb 26, 2011
@Pweety,the sisters thing was just a suggestion-but since we would be meeting in an open place,we wouldn't need chaperones.
@Orton,i freely admit it was a crush initially,but that crush died off a long time ago. We're friends. I don't think i could be blindly infatuated with someone for over 2 years. We have a lot in common and we're good friends.
And he is older. I don't want to say how much older because i think everybody'll start harping on his age and that would kinda divert attention from the issue at hand.
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Pweety4me(f): 8:24am On Feb 26, 2011
Go with roki she get plenty experience for this kind tin cheesy tongue grin
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by LordReed(m): 8:36am On Feb 26, 2011
Hey lil sis, glad to see school is in top gear. Give it your best ok?
Now bout this guy, whatever you may think his age is an issue cos his responses and decisions will be characteristic. However it doesn't stop you from friendship. Meet with him in a public place and do not I repeat do not heed any suggestion to go to a more private place because your gisting was getting sweet. Someone along would prevent you from getting in over your head but since it's just a friend thing no probs.

Your apprehension is natural, we all get it no matter what age because of that first impression thingy.

I must say I have a lingering suspicion about this guy though, I mean he wants to take a flight to see a teenager? Hmmm. . .
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Nobody: 8:37am On Feb 26, 2011
Atreides na wa o. You sound like myself lol.

I have a friend online and actually met him last month. You will regret it if you don't. I say go for it wink And meet in a public place, if possible. If not, then have him come to your family's house lol. The friend I met actually visited my family and I while we were staying with my aunty.
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Nobody: 8:37am On Feb 26, 2011
Pweety4me:

Go with roki she get plenty experience for this kind tin cheesy tongue grin
yes Ooo I have met load of guys offline tongue
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Pweety4me(f): 8:51am On Feb 26, 2011
rokiatu:

yes Ooo I have met load of guys offline tongue
Duhhh tongue
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Atreides(f): 8:53am On Feb 26, 2011
ogugua88:

Atreides na wa o. You sound like myself lol.

I have a friend online and actually met him last month. You will regret it if you don't. I say go for it wink And meet in a public place, if possible. If not, then have him come to your family's house lol. The friend I met actually visited my family and I while we were staying with my aunty.
OMG you sound like me too! Before the 'revelation' we were also considering him coming to our family house just to say hi to everybody first.
rokiatu:

Sound like a nice guy.

But as you know, many people have different personality on - line.

If you must meet him, lower your expectations, as to avoid disappointment. Meet him in a crowded place, (me and you know you are so small grin so do not take such risk) in fact go with a friend two if possible.
I will kill this pikin today. .
@Reed,i hear ya.
@pweety,grin grin grin "
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Mobinga: 8:59am On Feb 26, 2011
He wants to hit it. Don't go
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Nobody: 9:07am On Feb 26, 2011
Atreides, sorry hunni . . . I am just trying to save your small head grin
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Nobody: 9:11am On Feb 26, 2011
Atreides:

OMG you sound like me too! Before the 'revelation' we were also considering him coming to our family house just to say hi to everybody first.

Yeah, you should. You sound comfortable with your family anyway. To be honest, it will show how serious he is about you anyway. Many people were asking to see me. When I mentioned meeting at my grandmother's or my aunty's they all ran like bats in sunlight lol. All but my true friend anyway. So, I think you should tell him to meet you at your family's place.
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Atreides(f): 9:17am On Feb 26, 2011
rokiatu:

Atreides, sorry hunni . . . I am just trying to save your small head grin
Because your own head is soo big,shey?
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Nobody: 9:23am On Feb 26, 2011
How did you know? shocked shocked shocked

My head is soooooooo big mannh!

But better then a small head grin grin

[size=3pt]P.S sorry Ooo I am going offtopic in your thread. Mrs chima have infected me with her disease.[/size]
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Pweety4me(f): 9:25am On Feb 26, 2011
@Atre How tall is the dude? & is he fit(body wise)? tongue
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Atreides(f): 9:28am On Feb 26, 2011
Pweety4me:

@Atre How tall is the dude? & is he fit(body wise)? tongue
He's 6'1. And it's not like i've seen his shirtless chest or anything so i don't know whether he has a 12-pack or not,but he's fit.
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Pweety4me(f): 9:32am On Feb 26, 2011
^& u? cheesy
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Atreides(f): 9:40am On Feb 26, 2011
I'm fit too. Though i don't know why that matters-it's not like we're gonna be doing anything with it.
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Pweety4me(f): 9:44am On Feb 26, 2011
Atreides:

I'm fit too. Though i don't know why that matters-it's not like we're gonna be doing anything with it.

Lol cool down, i meant ur height baby girl tongue
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Atreides(f): 9:48am On Feb 26, 2011
Pweety4me:

Lol cool down, i meant your height baby girl tongue
grin grin grin
Okay. I don't know how tall i am exactly(lol). Maybe 5'8,5'9? I'm still growing taller.
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Pweety4me(f): 9:52am On Feb 26, 2011
Atreides:

grin grin grin
Okay. I don't know how tall i am exactly(lol). Maybe 5'8,5'9? I'm still growing taller.
Ok it no bad. . .when exactly is he coming?anywayz wait 4 d rest to come i'm sure u'll be intrigued with some of the stuff they will come up with. smiley
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Nobody: 10:22am On Feb 26, 2011
Read ur post and culdnt help but laugh. U think this has anythin 2 do with havin 'a social life' already? Dont b surprisd if the crush returns. Just know u cn neva be in control, try as u might. One thing though: meet up. Enjoy ur life. Lose urself basically
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Atreides(f): 10:28am On Feb 26, 2011
Jeez. The 'having a social life' bit was meant to show that i have a life,i have friends,i have people who i can talk to and people who understand me-it's nothing like the 'oh he's the only one who understands me' crap. He's not the only one who understands me-he's just one of them. I thought that was clear.
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by obowunmi(m): 10:44am On Feb 26, 2011
I met my current girlfriend on fbk. Meet up but don't meet with him alone. Take a friend or so and bring your own transportation --- DO NOT ask for a complimentary ride. Like someone said, have fun. Its always fun meeting someone new.
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by obowunmi(m): 10:49am On Feb 26, 2011
My story sorta reads like urs, I met her online in 2008, I didn't meet her in person until Nov 2010. We've been together ever since.
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Phate07(m): 11:00am On Feb 26, 2011
Atreides:

Okay so this is a serious topic and i would very much like serious responses.
About 2 years ago(early 2009) i met this guy on fb. We met on a group page for a show and after a bit he sent me a friend request and we started talking. We have a lot in common-same taste in books,novels,he's funny,he listens,etc etc. I'm not gonna say he's the only one who understands me or any of that romance novel crap because he's not. I have a great family. I'm close to my dad,i'm verry close to my sisters(even though they're older we're like the evil triplets cos we're soo in sync),my best friend's a guy,he's crazy(like batsh*it crazy)but he's dependable;i call him and he's there. I have friends,a social life-my point is,i'm not some lonely,dark serial killer-esque teenager;my life is good. There are lots of people who i can talk to and there are lots of people who understand me-he's just one of them.
He's also older;not with 15 years or something(because that would be gross),but he's significantly older. I've always been able to relate very well to people older than i am so his age was never an issue. Sometimes i'm under a lot of pressure(from my parents,teachers,etc)to get to a certain point,achieve certain goals,and i work well under pressure but it's still pressure. When i talk to him the pressure kinda lessens,it's like he's a safety valve. Or something. He's different from all the guys around me,he's more experienced,he's really intellectual(like he's smart and he helps me with school stuff and we talk politics etc etc),he's cute(not hot,but cUte). So(obviously)i crushed on him(like in 2009). But that's the good thing about crushes-they go away after a bit. Mine did. We stopped talking for a while(in early 2010) because i was busy with my exams and all,but after my exams we started talking again. Somehow the fact that he crushed on me came up,and then i admitted that i crushed on him too at the same time. I was like why didn't he say anything at the time,and he was like he didn't wanna be the creepy online stalker guy who hits on teenage school-girls,and we laughed over it. Before this mutual revelation,he said he was coming to Lagos for work(he lives in Gh) and that would i meet him? And i was like suure,that'd be cool. But when this revelation occured i started to feel awkward about it. Luckily for me,i got the call to start school(Finally!) a few weeks ago and so i left Lagos. In my mind i was thinking,well fate doesnt want us to meet and that's that,only for him to say would i mind it if he took a flight to Benin to come see me?
Right now i'm just having second thoughts about the whole thing. I know he's a good guy-and yes,i know people you meet online can pretend and all that,but people you meet in person can pretend as well. I know he's not some lecherous 60 year old grandpa because we talk,on the phone,we skype,i know he's who he says he is. In the over 2 years we've known each other,he's never crossed any lines,never made any inappropriate suggestions or anything like that-he's just a really good friend who i enjoy talking to. He's the guy who's helped me out with some school stuff,pushed me past my writer's block,just been there. I like to think i'm a good judge of character. The only problem is,now,i'm not sure i wanna meet him.
If you were me,what would you do?
Would you physically meet a person you met online?

Maybe you should really consider giving him a chance. Meet with him and see what he has to offer. wink

But make sure you play it safe. Go with someone else, preferably, a guy. Cheers! cheesy
Re: To Meet Or Not To Meet. What Would You Do? by Nobody: 11:22am On Feb 26, 2011
You know its a kinda Mysterious anything u're hooked up wiv someone Online, u easily fall for notin online and the scenario is somewhat inexplicable.
Altreidas, i'ld like to inform u that we guys 're more impressive, expressive and also confident wiv ourself when approachin an opposite sex online unlike on the real surface.
Here's ma advice = Be Ur Normal Self, Study and Pay close attention to Ur Guest to see if he'ld stutter frm his online self, Let ur converso be more of a canal talk and Plz Dont Dare Open Up Entire self Excessively be it Emotional or Whateva , u might jxt be selin urself 4 the cheap!

Goodluck.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can U Marry A Lesbian? / Will You Allow Your Partner To Stay In Touch With Their Ex? / When A Girl Says ''i Don't Hate You''

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.