Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,740 members, 7,885,961 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 06:24 PM

Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges (37552 Views)

Onitsha Port: More Containers Arrive Onitsha Via Barges- PICS & VIDEO / FG Begins Movement Of Cargoes From Lagos To Onitsha Port To Ease Apapa Traffic / Why Onitsha Port And Baro Port Can't Function For Now (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by Kcee254: 3:09pm On Oct 06, 2020
Proeast2:

You're right. Anambra state government should buy those waterfront lands and allocate them strictly for building of high rises which will make it the new CBD. This is how it is done elsewhere.

Seeing ships berthed at the Onitsha port with high rise buildings in the background would showcase Onitsha and Anambra state as an economic powerhouse. Ordinarily, watching the city from the Niger bridge could be breathtaking not to talk of when the waterfront is transformed cool
bro u dey my mind the same thing I was thinking thats what u just said kudos jo

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by BIGGESThead6: 3:13pm On Oct 06, 2020
Proeast2:

You're right. Anambra state government should buy those waterfront lands and allocate them strictly for building of high rises which will make it the new CBD. This is how it is done elsewhere.

Seeing ships berthed at the Onitsha port with high rise buildings in the background would showcase Onitsha and Anambra state as an economic powerhouse. Ordinarily, watching the city from the Niger bridge could be breathtaking not to talk of when the waterfront is transformed cool

Quit dreaming Bro, tell ya leaders to fix Onitsha now. grin grin

Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by ndiri(m): 3:22pm On Oct 06, 2020
EVideos:
*CHIEF DR GEORGE MUOGHALU OPENS THE ECONOMIC GATEWAY OF ANAMBRA AND SOUTH EAST, AS HE COMMISSIONES ONITSHA RIVER PORT.*

MANAGING Director/Chief Executive Officer (MD/CEO), National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA), Chief Dr George Moghalu, on Sunday said that with functioning of Onitsha Port- economic gateway of Anambra and the South East economy have been opened. He said that it will reduce unnecessary and avoidable expenses for transporting containers from Lagos ports and Port Harcourt port to South-East.Dr Moghalu, who disclosed this in NIWA office Onitsha during commisioning of the long awaited Onitsha Port.
He said, “it is obvious that my aim and commitment to bringing functions to Onitsha Port is no longer a mirage and elusive as many thought. My good intentions as an Anambra-born MD of NIWA are to make the port operational in order to boost economic activities in Anambra State and South East, create jobs and wealth, improve ease of doing business, give South East sense of belonging, reduce bottles necks in clearing goods and save monies wasted in transporting containers from different ports to the Southeast has been achieved and it is recorded in history today that containers are arriving in batches to this port after 42 years”.

In his statement, the former National Auditor of the ruling All Progressive Congress (APC) declared that making Nigeria's waterways navigable is key to reducing the pressure on our roads as most of the containers can be moved to their destinations safely by water.

"if our waterways are navigable and open, we can go by water, not by road. It is this aspect that drew my attention to the fact that the pressure we have on our road today can very well be avoided. For example, if 1,000 containers are coming from Apapa port and if half or even 70 per cent is going to end in the Southeast- Onitsha, Aba, or what have you — what that means is that 500 or 700 trailers will be on the road"

It has taken both economic and political, through Dr George Muoghalu, to fully make the Onitsha River Port functional in order to tap from its huge economic benefits to businesses located in the commercial cities of Onitsha, Nnewi and Aba, and save the economy the burdened cost of transporting goods from Lagos to Eastern Nigeria. This will not also save businesses as much money is put into cargo clearance per container, as haulage cost of transporting cleared consignment from Lagos ports to the states in the East, but will also help to decongest the already stretched Lagos ports.

The Nnewi born financial and human resources expert, who identified infrastructural development crucial economic Initiative that can liberate Anambra State economically, stated that activities in Onitsha Port will create massive employment for the youths and also add meaningful values to the state's economy. When it is developed and opened, lots of ships will be navigating the Onitsha-Lokoja axis, some unemployed youths who may be engaged in negative activities like kidnapping will be engaged.

“The revamping of Onitsha riverport is one outstanding project yearning for attention for many years now. The politics that started in 1980 has ended. This project is going to put the unemployed youths in Anambra State and South East in aloofness from crime as the job opportunities that are attached to this project is immeasurable"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxFpl-6lB7s
nice one
Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by descarado: 3:29pm On Oct 06, 2020
MICHEALADEX:

Was expecting a quality submission but you all still feeling deprived. Import based nations don't grow
All nations of the world import one thing or the other. No nation is self sufficient.
As you import, you can export via the same route.
Presently in Nigeria, low scale cum big manufacturing is visible in the east more than anywhere in Nigeria and they ship the by products to African countries.
U want them to continue piling up in Lagos with trailers?

U guys are born sadists. I have never seen this much hatred especially from south west.

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by judondasylva(m): 3:31pm On Oct 06, 2020
I wonder what you guys are happy about. This is just a picture and you are already jubilations. I can only believe this when I see containers been offloaded because this evil government like playing politics with everything in south east
Proeast2:
Oh my God, this alone has shattered the primitive and wicked mindset of our enemies who call us landlocked and padlocked.

The bastards will cover their faces in shame!!
Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by Ngorbungor(m): 3:33pm On Oct 06, 2020
porthouse7:
it does change d fact dat ship can't Bert anywhere in d east, if u like dredge river Niger till last sand, it will remain a river

Well that's your headache, but for us, we are moving forward be it River Port or Sea Port or Ocean Port or Stream Port thats your headache and worry about it, as for us little drop of water makes an ocean, we will keep pushing untill we get there that's the spirit of an Igbo man and our guiding principle

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by Ngorbungor(m): 3:35pm On Oct 06, 2020
BIGGESThead6:

Quit dreaming Bro, tell ya leaders to fix Onitsha now. grin grin

Oga, tell us your state of origin, please

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by BIGGESThead6: 3:44pm On Oct 06, 2020
Ngorbungor:

ABIA
My state is better than Anambra by far.

Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by SlayerForever: 3:44pm On Oct 06, 2020
Ngorbungor:

Na Yoruba man na.
Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by swedbase(m): 3:47pm On Oct 06, 2020
adadike:
Thank you Jesus! Ndigbo Biko , aku luo ulo. I have seen people from Ibadan , Ilorin even Osun coming to Onitsha to buy goods , so my people please invest heavily in igboland. Emere enu , emere ana, Alaigbo bu nke anyi

Where have you been? Longest time.
Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by chinoonew09: 3:52pm On Oct 06, 2020
[s]
JAMO84:
They would still call Buhari a terrorist. Ingrates.
[/s]

b4 wetin he be..? grin
sudanese born jibril, double body presido..
dat like takin instructions 4rm dead abba kyari.
Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by Onlinesmart: 3:53pm On Oct 06, 2020
CheGuevara102:

Don't let pain, anger and jealousy kill you very soon Igbos will be relocating their businesses to the East and your landlords can start moving back to their apartments instead of renting it out and sleeping on the roof as always.
I understand your pain but this erosion is a joke if it's all you rely on deverop biafla.
Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by nick50(m): 3:54pm On Oct 06, 2020
Onitsha port ko asaba port ni..this one wey u still need to go to Lagos to clear ur goods and obtain the necessary papers before ur goods go arrive there u go Don get grey hairs.. No be today
Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by Ngorbungor(m): 3:54pm On Oct 06, 2020
BIGGESThead6:

ABIA
My state is better than Anambra by far.

Not even proud to mention your state, what a life some people are living

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by Ngorbungor(m): 3:54pm On Oct 06, 2020
SlayerForever:

Na Yoruba man na.

True
Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by Ishilove: 3:55pm On Oct 06, 2020
anonimi:

Do you know that pilot means experimental
I was embarrassed reading his inane and grossly ignorant rant.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by Ngorbungor(m): 3:58pm On Oct 06, 2020
nick50:
Onitsha port ko asaba port ni..this one wey u still need to go to Lagos to clear ur goods and obtain the necessary papers before ur goods go arrive there u go Don get grey hairs.. No be today

If what you said is true, then leave us, let worry about it and not you, I beg worry about your own state,

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by valx2: 4:04pm On Oct 06, 2020
JAMO84:
Is bahari not a terrorist?
Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by BIGGESThead6: 4:11pm On Oct 06, 2020
Ngorbungor:

Not even proud to mention your state, what a life some people are living

Biko hapum aka

Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by Nobody: 4:16pm On Oct 06, 2020
Former President Shehu Shagari started the Onitsha light port located at Niger Head bridge
Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by valx2: 4:17pm On Oct 06, 2020
alizma:

This is the problem with you people. There have been Ports in other areas and the people their don't make it look like it is their personal property. Your attitude at times is enough to drive away development from your side.

This one is crying already..

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by calyto: 4:19pm On Oct 06, 2020
So who did it since a state governor cannot do it?
If you follow Jibril Gawat on twitter, you will see when it left Lagos. So how did they move from state to state. Obiano did and other N'digbos did the work all the way from Lagos right?

raker300:
what has buhari got to do with this?

Follow news bro..don’t be a noob
Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by Okoroawusa: 4:22pm On Oct 06, 2020
MosheDayan:
acknowledge what? why would he call us ingrates? did we beg to be Nigerians? if we were on our own the port in the SE would have been done long time ago. please if you don't have any sensible thing to say just remain in your lane. we are not slaves or dogs that would be thanking anyone for doing exactly what he was paid to do. if you and your family or ethnic group are comfortable being slaves that is entirely up to you.
I have questions for you after all your long write up...

Was it Buhari that has prevented a port in Onitsha for 60 years?

Didn't our brothers that could have done something about it also hold office at one time or the other in the past?

You can sway some people with your sweet ethnic jingoism but not me. What was the comment that prompted my own comment? I advise you go and read up from the beginning of the thread.

Onye si na otu na ato uto okwue ife ona ato ka ya.
Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by Okoroawusa: 4:24pm On Oct 06, 2020
judondasylva:
I wonder what you guys are happy about. This is just a picture and you are already jubilations. I can only believe this when I see containers been offloaded because this evil government like playing politics with everything in south east
What about the government before this one?
Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by landforeast(m): 4:51pm On Oct 06, 2020
No wonder Wise igbo men are heavily investing in South Easy

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by salam8528: 4:56pm On Oct 06, 2020
raker300:
what has buhari got to do with this?

Follow news bro..don’t be a noob
look at this one, believe it or not it is during his tenure this was achieved. If it where easy those deceiving u guys since 1999 would have made happen b4 now.
Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by Proeast2: 5:04pm On Oct 06, 2020
anonimi:

Barges are NOT ships, biko.

Did you read the article at all? This is just the pilot scheme, they are only starting with barges but ships will soon start arriving too, albeit the smaller sized ones.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by icankel: 5:14pm On Oct 06, 2020
my Onitsha and Nnewi importers will be so happy wen this is finally become a reality
Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by Proeast2: 5:16pm On Oct 06, 2020
judondasylva:

Lol, I get your drift but this is real, or are you saying that both the online tracking and the barge loaded with containers are all Photoshop??

Nna, Buhari agbaliala n'ime nkea. Jonathan anyi kporo nwanne enweghi ike ime ya. Politics aside, this was achieved under Buhari.
Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by DarkJeddi(m): 5:24pm On Oct 06, 2020
JAMO84:
And who told you that Buhari built the Port and dredged the River? shocked
Re: Onitsha Port Receives Pilot Cargo Barges by Nobody: 5:27pm On Oct 06, 2020
Proeast2:

Anambta1stson and Anambra State government should heed this. It's a very good idea.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Bus Plunges Into Bridge Along Bayelsa Road,Driver,Passengers Missing (Photos) / Ada, A Victim Of The Umuahia-Okigwe Road Accident / Tragedy As Tanker Ram Into A Beer Palour In PH, 4 Persons Crushed To Death(p

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.