Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,338 members, 7,950,668 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 07:03 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? - Travel (101) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (1402391 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 7:26am On Aug 23, 2014
Ibtisam24: @Mrsdgn yes MIHS include all and one emergency visit like not feeling the move of baby and back home only,any thing else cost aloooot. I went first time to emergency caz of travel did feel baby moves good so it was free and they ask me if I don't feel it again I should back when I asked how much they said it could cost about 2000$ it's only ultrasound and they monitor baby heart bet for 30 minutes. And most of there prices later after you ask abut 0 balance latter and takes 3 weeks after delivery. I wish my self and athers no complacatoin during dilevery.
Note: the doctors or nurses really kind and very helpfull exept call center or an appointment stuff not very kind.

thanks for your response. Amen @ prayers. So what's next please? Booking appointment and getting a bill right? Please can you help with a valid email and phone number they would respond to speedily for this purpose. I can't seem to find any on their website.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by africaintels: 7:41am On Aug 23, 2014
vcole:
Hi. Please how's intown? Booked to stay there but it's both my sister Inlaw and I as we are both expecting so we took a 2 bed. I hope the rooms are spacious enough.
Looking forward to your reply.
yeah is ok but ramada is more spacious but more expensive. But am sure double bed in intown suite will be ok for both of you.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by vcole: 8:17am On Aug 23, 2014
TeamclicksAir:
lol... well i will use Emirate if i were you its 16hours flight time but the layover is just 1hr compared with BA layover of 9hrs and flight time 10hours....also its cheaper compared to BA.
which ever you choose ... i wish you a splendid flight experience. smiley
My dear. Emirates is 7hrs 40mins to dubai,then 1 hr 40mins before 16hrs to Dallas. Total flight time is too long. For s non pregnant woman,that's fine but being pregnant that's not safe at all.the risk of embolism......for BA, it's 6hrs layover not 10hrs and the return journey is about 2hrs layover. Total journey time is shorter, so I prefer it especially for the return leg.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by vcole: 8:17am On Aug 23, 2014
africaintels: yeah is ok but ramada is more spacious but more expensive. But am sure double bed in intown suite will be ok for both of you.
Thank you.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by lizcom25: 8:31am On Aug 23, 2014
I don't believe Emirates time computations. My friend 2weeks ago travelled to US through emirate. She spent a full day at dubai before leaving. So its not safe for any pregnant woman
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Freshface: 8:46am On Aug 23, 2014
I totally agree with increased risk of embolism in pregnancy ooo! Dat can kill u instantly! Abeg mek we avoid longggggggg journey abeg.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by GenoMI: 9:28am On Aug 23, 2014
@Pamperme Thanks very much for your response. I was planning to do 4 weeks so I guess that is fine.

Pamperme:

Two weeks.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by TeamclicksAir: 10:04am On Aug 23, 2014
vcole:
My dear. Emirates is 7hrs 40mins to dubai,then 1 hr 40mins before 16hrs to Dallas. Total flight time is too long. For s non pregnant woman,that's fine but being pregnant that's not safe at all.the risk of embolism......for BA, it's 6hrs layover not 10hrs and the return journey is about 2hrs layover. Total journey time is shorter, so I prefer it especially for the return leg.
My apologies. Not aware of the pregnancy. Wish you safe trip and delivery.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nita2013: 2:41pm On Aug 23, 2014
Hello, ur friend should av checked the itinery b4 bookin. It's not possible that ur itinery says something and something else is being done at d airport.

I flew Emirates from Abuja last week at 34weeks +. Abuja to Dubai was 7hrs. Transit time was 3hrs. Dubai to Chicago was 14hrs 40mins but we arrived Chicago 40mins b4 time. Their service was exceptional but it was a journey of a life time.

Also please be informed that with Emirates once ur transit time is 8hrs nd above in dubai, u r entitled to a free 24hrs complimentary visa, hotel accommodation. This means that u will be picked from d airport and taken to d hotel and taken back to d airport when it's time for u to go back (all expenses borne by Emirates). Everything is in their website. U can also call them to confirm this.

My transit time goin back to naija is over 14hrs and I was sent a mail that I am entitled to dubai connect (that's d hotel accommodation)

lizcom25: I don't believe Emirates time computations. My friend 2weeks ago travelled to US through emirate. She spent a full day at dubai before leaving. So its not safe for any pregnant woman

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Aug 23, 2014
GenoMI:
@MrsDGN I intend to use Gwinett in Atlanta, Georgia ooo.

Thanks for your response. I just noticed some people on the thread say they are booking flights avoiding Atlanta, so I was curious. Meanwhile, how much is Gwinet? All inclusive? Drs bill, hospital bill et al? When are you travelling? What airline are you using? Where are you departing from? Forgive my plenty questions abeg. Thing is, I intend to leave from abuja. We usually fly Emirates because we have frequent flier miles with them. But Emirates doesn't fly to Atlanta, their closest stop is Houston then I'll have to take a local flight to Atlanta. Not sure I can do all that wahala, dubai stop over, Houston stop over with big belle and a toddler in tow. Another thing is, their flight costs for Oct/Nov is 600k for 2 of us! Any cheaper options? I really don't want to fly from lagos, but I'll consider it if the price is right.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by lizcom25: 4:08pm On Aug 23, 2014
@nita2013. True. She was lodged. I guess she didn't read the instructions very well. But it's a long journey for any biggies.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Adiahabasi: 4:39pm On Aug 23, 2014
@Mosopefoluwa. ...You have to show you have strong ties to Nigeria,and are very stable financially...Being well travelled increases ones chances of getting a visa,but its not a guarantee one will. Go thru this thread well,get your documents ready,add a good bout of confidence,and you should be good to go.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by hopefulme: 5:25pm On Aug 23, 2014
TeamclicksAir:
My apologies. Not aware of the pregnancy. Wish you safe trip and delivery.

Your suggestive itinerary for abuja-elapse or Phoenix will be useful......... wink
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by GenoMI: 5:46pm On Aug 23, 2014
MrsDGN:

Thanks for your response. I just noticed some people on the thread say they are booking flights avoiding Atlanta, so I was curious. Meanwhile, how much is Gwinet? All inclusive? Drs bill, hospital bill et al? When are you travelling? What airline are you using? Where are you departing from? Forgive my plenty questions abeg. Thing is, I intend to leave from abuja. We usually fly Emirates because we have frequent flier miles with them. But Emirates doesn't fly to Atlanta, their closest stop is Houston then I'll have to take a local flight to Atlanta. Not sure I can do all that wahala, dubai stop over, Houston stop over with big belle and a toddler in tow. Another thing is, their flight costs for Oct/Nov is 600k for 2 of us! Any cheaper options? I really don't want to fly from lagos, but I'll consider it if the price is right.

@MrsDGN Yes I also noticed that people try to avoid Atlanta POE, apparently they are notorious for turning pregnant women back. Having said that, I also know a few preggo women who have gone through smoothly after showing they had all their finances in order. I believe that if one is honest and has all proper documentation and finances, there should be no issues.

As for Gwinnett, the costs I have received so far are as follows (Obtained from my friend who gave birth there earlier this year):

Doctor's fees: $2,500 (it was actually $2,800 but she was able to negotiate it down)
Hospital fees: $2,100 (it was actually $6,000 but she got a good discount because she was paying cash)
Epidural if you want: $500 if you decide and pay before you deliver, but $1,200 if you decide during labour i.e. on the day you give birth
Pediatrician: $600 (though she later found out she could have gotten a cheaper pediatrician)

I contacted the doctor myself last night and he will send me an e-mail with his costs and other necessary information, after which I will negotiate on price. I also sent a message to the hospital last night and am awaiting their response.

I will be travelling in the 2nd week of December by God's Grace, though I haven't bought my ticket yet. The cheapest one I have seen so far is Delta and that was about 360,000. I have heard that if I wait a bit more and book towards the end of September, then it should be cheaper. If I don't use Delta, the other options I will consider are KLM, Virgin or Air France.

I have used emirates before, though I flew to New York, it was stressful. The layover was quite long, up to the point that I had to book a hotel room in the airport terminal and sleep (that's the good thing though more cost, there is a hotel inside the Dubai airport so you don't even have to worry about UAE visa or immigration). Also, the journey was long, Lagos - Dubai was about 8hrs, then Dubai - New York was 13hrs 45mins, I wanted to cry, lol. Since then I promised myself not to do it again. I would rather fly through Europe with shorter flight times or just go direct from Lagos, though it will also be a long flight but at least no changing flight wahala etc especially since you've said even when you get to the US after 2 flights, you have to take a 3rd flight to get to Atlanta. That sounds stressful o especially as you will be going with a toddler. When will you be travelling?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by damsel020: 6:37pm On Aug 23, 2014
Hmmm, so I owe this forum and feel indebted to everyone who contributes on this forum, i read this forum than my Bible lols.
I flew delta airline, we were meant to leave naija Tuesday night, but after boarding and staying in d plane for 2hrs they announced that the plane is faulty and we will not be able to fly, i was frustrated+tired, so they had to lodge us in a hotel close to MMIA and d next day i.e Wednesday we are to fly at d same time with d same aircraft, i swear I was scared, my folks even told me to cancel the trip dat d stress is too much at 36 weeks, we left naija Arnd 12 am wednesday night and got to ATLANTA around 6:30am, d immigration queue was so long I almost fainted+ I was hungry, did not eat on the plane cos I was scared of the outcome of POE lols. But as God will have it I spent less than 3mins with d CBP officer. Transcript goes thus.
CBP: hello
Me: hi
CBP: madam put a smile on
Me: I just smiled(meanwhile I was half dead standing dere)
CBP: why are u here
Me: to have my baby and do some shopping
CBP: oh great
Any correspondence with d doctor?
Me: just brought out the mail conversation with Dr Fagbohun and bill attached.
Na so he stamp me in for 6 months o, without asking y I did not state my intention at the embassy or even checking if I have cash with me. Though I was with the mail from d consular and cash.
And we were about 3preggys on d plane and we were all stamped in.
Wish eveyoda person coming in best of lucks.

12 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by TeamclicksAir: 7:05pm On Aug 23, 2014
hopefulme:

Your suggestive itinerary for abuja-elapse or Phoenix will be useful......... wink
Are you pregnant. ..lol
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 23, 2014
GenoMI:

@MrsDGN Yes I also noticed that people try to avoid Atlanta POE, apparently they are notorious for turning pregnant women back. Having said that, I also know a few preggo women who have gone through smoothly after showing they had all their finances in order. I believe that if one is honest and has all proper documentation and finances, there should be no issues.

As for Gwinnett, the costs I have received so far are as follows (Obtained from my friend who gave birth there earlier this year):

Doctor's fees: $2,500 (it was actually $2,800 but she was able to negotiate it down)
Hospital fees: $2,100 (it was actually $6,000 but she got a good discount because she was paying cash)
Epidural if you want: $500 if you decide and pay before you deliver, but $1,200 if you decide during labour i.e. on the day you give birth
Pediatrician: $600 (though she later found out she could have gotten a cheaper pediatrician)

I contacted the doctor myself last night and he will send me an e-mail with his costs and other necessary information, after which I will negotiate on price. I also sent a message to the hospital last night and am awaiting their response.

I will be travelling in the 2nd week of December by God's Grace, though I haven't bought my ticket yet. The cheapest one I have seen so far is Delta and that was about 360,000. I have heard that if I wait a bit more and book towards the end of September, then it should be cheaper. If I don't use Delta, the other options I will consider are KLM, Virgin or Air France.

I have used emirates before, though I flew to New York, it was stressful. The layover was quite long, up to the point that I had to book a hotel room in the airport terminal and sleep (that's the good thing though more cost, there is a hotel inside the Dubai airport so you don't even have to worry about UAE visa or immigration). Also, the journey was long, Lagos - Dubai was about 8hrs, then Dubai - New York was 13hrs 45mins, I wanted to cry, lol. Since then I promised myself not to do it again. I would rather fly through Europe with shorter flight times or just go direct from Lagos, though it will also be a long flight but at least no changing flight wahala etc especially since you've said even when you get to the US after 2 flights, you have to take a 3rd flight to get to Atlanta. That sounds stressful o especially as you will be going with a toddler. When will you be travelling?

Wow! @ Atlanta POE. that's some food for thought. Although I intend to take all necessary documentation with me when am traveling. I intend to travel last week in Oct or first week in Nov. Am due mid December. Hubby checked from lagos to Atlanta for myself and our son this afternoon and he saw 344 on Delta. So am guessing you should get a better deal since you are traveling alone. Plus hubby is alsoo of the opinion that tickets are cheaper in October or thereabouts, so fingers crossed.

I like Emirates because they offer exceptional service. If I were traveling alone I don't mind the layover. And I've never had issues with their timing, they usually arrange accommodation. I don't know how to send a direct message on here, can you please send me your email?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by GenoMI: 7:37pm On Aug 23, 2014
[quote author=MrsDGN]

@MrsDGN I have sent you a private message, please check your e-mail inbox
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by suziemrs: 7:54pm On Aug 23, 2014
Good evening mamas in the house pls can anyone help on hw to book appointment with mihs asap and accommodation there
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by mosopefoluwa: 7:57pm On Aug 23, 2014
Thanks and God bless

Adiahabasi: @Mosopefoluwa. ...You have to show you have strong ties to Nigeria,and are very stable financially...Being well travelled increases ones chances of getting a visa,but its not a guarantee one will. Go thru this thread well,get your documents ready,add a good bout of confidence,and you should be good to go.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by lizcom25: 8:34pm On Aug 23, 2014
@damsel020. Congrats. God will make all things beautiful for us from visa to entry to delivery and to return to celebrate with our families. God will simplify issues for us in Jesus name

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by hopefulme: 9:15pm On Aug 23, 2014
TeamclicksAir:
Are you pregnant. ..lol

Lol......you mean only pregnant people travel?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by ori777: 9:38pm On Aug 23, 2014
GenoMI: Hello house,

Please I would like to ask - what is the earliest age that one can fly with her baby back home after giving birth in the US?

Looking forward to your responses. Thank you.

I flew with mine at 3 weeks. Peadiatrician confirmed it was ok.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by GenoMI: 9:47pm On Aug 23, 2014
ori777:

I flew with mine at 3 weeks. Peadiatrician confirmed it was ok.

@ori777 Thanks very much for your response.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Aug 23, 2014
Please I haven't gotten a response on the contact information for appointment booking at MIHS. I would reach appreciate a response from anybody. What I need is a valid and functional email and telephone number which they would respond to promptly when I make enquiries. And also a sample of the letter or email requesting a Dr's appointment or asking if they'll accept you as a patient. Especially from people who have had correspondence with them. Thanks a million
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nita2013: 10:58pm On Aug 23, 2014
Yeah thanks for adding that cos some pple even with preggie won't not mind that. I checked and saw d journey time b4 bookin but my dear d flight was super cheap so I went for it. Rested a lot a day to d trip and that was it. Pple r different though.

lizcom25: @nita2013. True. She was lodged. I guess she didn't read the instructions very well. But it's a long journey for any biggies.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by TeamclicksAir: 11:15pm On Aug 23, 2014
hopefulme:

for pregnant women BA is better for others Qatar is cool...i fly them always
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by hopefulme: 11:22pm On Aug 23, 2014
Nita2013: Yeah thanks for adding that cos some pple even with preggie won't not mind that. I checked and saw d journey time b4 bookin but my dear d flight was super cheap so I went for it. Rested a lot a day to d trip and that was it. Pple r different though.

Was your Poe Dallas?Emirate from abuja to dallas layover time is almost 22hrs or so.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by zeezahbee(f): 11:23pm On Aug 23, 2014
twizzie: @dserious, please be serious o!!! Lol at rhymes!!! 37 weeks? odikwa risky abeg!! Have you read ibtisam's post? She is currently in Phoenix and she has told everyone not to fly after 34 weeks!!
@zeezabhee, ehen, guru on top student visa thread! a jew here!! hehehehe..I been don dey admire say dis babe sabi o.. me sef sabi pass you on top this matter..hehehehe...Anyways, Oawale has answered you well. Note though that you will only get an appointment with financials.No doctors appointment till you come in person and pay..(They used to give doc's appt before but this is the latest trend). You could try calling them from there maybe they'd give a better response. They will ask her for a time frame for her appt, so her response and their availability of free slots will determine the time..And yes, she should be able to use that for her visa appt, it's better you start early..Make sure she has the accomodation sorted out, a budget(spread sheet) of all expenses to be incurred and correspondences with the hospital. Also, tell her to read this thread from beginning to the end. It will help her.
[i][/i]
@freshface, d neferitiam's accommodation is furnished, but you have to come along with your bed covers and cooking utensils.. Checked the place out though and the total for 28 days as from October is $1480, so I really don't see much difference..But if you consider the the free meals, e make sense..

@tokyobulls, Please let her hold some cash..It isn't advisable to get to POE without any cash..Someone has been allowed in on this thread with $1500 while another was sent back even though she had paid half of her hospital bills and still had about $4000(I think) with her; also on this thread.. She is an adult na..she should take at least 7k on her and keep the rest in her cards..Make she no fly Arik sha cos I heard them they pilfer no be small..

MIHS bound moms seems to be increasing by the day! But I think it will be advisable not travel in a pack so as not to attract un-necessary attention to oneself. Imagine having three big belles together..lol...
you are so funny, I always read this thread but I no too put my mind because I never plan to get belle, there a saying that you can never know it all. anyways have called them and gave them her email and DOB but they haven't anything o. I will keep calling them. but I got a question, can we use another hospital to get the visa and she will go to MIHS later. can gwinett or doctoresaperati give us the appointment confirmation?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by zeezahbee(f): 11:25pm On Aug 23, 2014
TeamclicksAir:
for pregnant women BA is better for others Qatar is cool...i fly them always
yeah, different strokes for different people. I flew Qatar once and it was nice tho I wasn't preggy. the thing is check your pocket well, even with BA, its still a long flight to usa because its around 10hrs
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by TeamclicksAir: 11:29pm On Aug 23, 2014
zeezahbee: yeah, different strokes for different people. I flew Qatar once and it was nice tho I wasn't preggy. the thing is check your pocket well, even with BA, its still a long flight to usa because its around 10hrs
grin grin
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by weaseloo: 12:42am On Aug 24, 2014
After reading all the posts about WHMC, I decided to contact Dr. La's office. I called and they sent me a layout of their fees. To my surprise, his charge is a whooping $3340! I think this is too expensive. I remember I have read some people say they paid about $2770 or near that. The other prices remained the same like hospital fee (4000 for CS), epidural (1200). By the way can these be negotiated? Again, this hearing test of a thing $326? How important is it?

Can someone recommend another good doctor they have used in Houston that is cheaper? I prefer to use a doctor whom someone has a good testimony about. I am not good at picking someone from a list cause I end up not having good experiences.

For ladies that had boys, is WHMC/Dr La's circumcision good, or should I look for Jewish people to do that for me? Would not want to put the child through 2 rounds of pain, so I am planning ahead.

Cheers guys! Much love to all contributors! You guys rock!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) ... (402)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.