Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,536 members, 7,968,521 topics. Date: Monday, 07 October 2024 at 08:50 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? - Travel (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (1405820 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bolanleife(f): 10:51am On Oct 07, 2013
Good evening,

Please i will appreciate any Link or Doctors Contact in Indianapolis for delivery. Kindly send me an email on salawuabbas@yahoo.co.uk

Cheers !!!

Regards

You might want to check this out http://www.stvincent.org/Saint-Johns/Medical-Services/Midwife-Center.aspx
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by estrellaycocina: 11:50am On Oct 07, 2013
nenih: @ All

Anyone considering Elpaso for December ?

I would not worry about that nenih. I had my baby in El Paso (doctoresparati.com) and there were 9 women from Nigeria at the same time I was there... As someone else mentioned earlier, they even put us in contact with each other! We all went out to eat several times, also, we were all staying in the same hotel. As everybody else has mentioned the experience with them was grade A and Im sure you too will enjoy your stay. They go way beyond just the medical service. Good luck and say hi to Dr. Martell for me!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by forevermine: 8:05pm On Oct 07, 2013
Hello house. Pls I have an enquiry to make and it's kinda urgent, so I'd appreciateany useful response, especially from anyone who's had a similar experience. Pls is it necessary to change my maiden name(surname) to my husbands , on my international passport? Does this mean I will be issued a new passport entirely or js a modification of the datapage of my current passprt( as I have evidence of travels on my current passport, though there's no valid visa). If I do,Will this affect my visa application(eg it may nt correspond wt d name on my bank statement, if I'm using mine) .also wen applying for the baby's passport in usa, will bearing my maiden name(in d event that I dnt change d passport) affect this? Pls I need clarification on what to do pertaining this situation. Thanks a bunch.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by nenih: 8:31pm On Oct 07, 2013
estrellaycocina:

I would not worry about that nenih. I had my baby in El Paso (doctoresparati.com) and there were 9 women from Nigeria at the same time I was there... As someone else mentioned earlier, they even put us in contact with each other! We all went out to eat several times, also, we were all staying in the same hotel. As everybody else has mentioned the experience with them was grade A and Im sure you too will enjoy your stay. They go way beyond just the medical service. Good luck and say hi to Dr. Martell for me!

Thanks estrellaycocina

forevermine: Hello house. Pls I have an enquiry to make and it's kinda urgent, so I'd appreciateany useful response, especially from anyone who's had a similar experience. Pls is it necessary to change my maiden name(surname) to my husbands , on my international passport? Does this mean I will be issued a new passport entirely or js a modification of the datapage of my current passprt( as I have evidence of travels on my current passport, though there's no valid visa). If I do,Will this affect my visa application(eg it may nt correspond wt d name on my bank statement, if I'm using mine) .also wen applying for the baby's passport in usa, will bearing my maiden name(in d event that I dnt change d passport) affect this? Pls I need clarification on what to do pertaining this situation. Thanks a bunch.

I also have a similar issue. My current passport with visa is currently in my maiden name. wondering if the baby's birth certificate and other docs would also bear my maiden name should i travel with this passport.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by uchetobi(f): 8:58pm On Oct 07, 2013
forevermine: Hello house. Pls I have an enquiry to make and it's kinda urgent, so I'd appreciateany useful response, especially from anyone who's had a similar experience. Pls is it necessary to change my maiden name(surname) to my husbands , on my international passport? Does this mean I will be issued a new passport entirely or js a modification of the datapage of my current passprt( as I have evidence of travels on my current passport, though there's no valid visa). If I do,Will this affect my visa application(eg it may nt correspond wt d name on my bank statement, if I'm using mine) .also wen applying for the baby's passport in usa, will bearing my maiden name(in d event that I dnt change d passport) affect this? Pls I need clarification on what to do pertaining this situation. Thanks a bunch.

Well you can change it to your husband's name but you will need to go to abuja to do that. Its an entirely new document...last i heard it is about 55k. If you do that your visa will still be valid. You will just need to go with your change if name document to present at that airport or poe to show you are the same person.

If you dont change it....u can still do all your baby document without wahala. Do you think its every married woman even abroad that take their husband's name. What of pple that have kids and are not married? Wont their baby get passport?

If your passport is still valid....dont bother till it expires. My two cents
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Dentale(f): 8:22am On Oct 08, 2013
uchetobi:

Well you can change it to your husband's name but you will need to go to abuja to do that. Its an entirely new document...last i heard it is about 55k. If you do that your visa will still be valid. You will just need to go with your change if name document to present at that airport or poe to show you are the same person.

If you dont change it....u can still do all your baby document without wahala. Do you think its every married woman even abroad that take their husband's name. What of pple that have kids and are not married? Wont their baby get passport?

If your passport is still valid....dont bother till it expires. My two cents

Thanks a lot Uche. My hubby and I renewed our visas as a couple.. with different surnames. This is notwithstanding the fact that my name was legally changed prior to the application. We made the decision to go with my maiden name since I was not ready for the hassle of getting a new passport in Abuja when my old passport is still valid. The Consular did not even bat an eyelid. Oyinbo people don't send that level at all. My baby's documentation will bear my maiden name as well. It's still me smiley.. Forevermine, you could go ahead with your maiden name as well, considering everything.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by forevermine: 9:37am On Oct 08, 2013
Thanks guys, ur the best! Guess I'll js leave things as they are smiley
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Whole79: 1:46pm On Oct 08, 2013
You don't need to change your current passport to the one that bears your husband's name. All you need to do is always provide proof of marriage which is your marriage certificate. However, you may want to change your name once the current passport expires. As per your baby's document, you'll only need you maiden name to do that. So nothing to be afraid of. You are good to go.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by olukemiyemi: 3:13pm On Oct 08, 2013
Am doing a bit of research on Maryland, DC or Virginia as well. If anyone here has experiences or info, pls share.

Birthing centers seem to be the cheaper option. I do not have quotes from any hospital yet because I will prefer a birthing center but info on hospitals would be of help bascially because there's always a chance of endingup there.

I have the quotes for the following Birth centers, no discounts have been discussed, not so sure there might be.

Nova Birthing Natural Birth Center does $4,500 exclusive of labs and ultrascans (They have very good reviews)
Blessing God's way: $3,500 exclusive of labs, ultrascans and supplies ($234)
Brookhaven Natural Birth Center: between $3,200 and $4000.

All these centers are in virginia which not far from MD or DC.

If anyone has info on hospitals kindly share.

subice: Hi guys,

Thanks to everyone on all the info posted, very informative and useful. Trying to get a suitable place around Maryland for my wife to deliver. Still early days in getting info but thought I'd share what I have, someone else might find it useful. Right now, looking at all options .i.e. Birthing Centers and Hospitals. Here's a reply from the Bay Area Midwifery Center (http://www.bayareamidwifery.com/). It's in Annapolis, Maryland.

The cost to have your care here is :

Prenatal, delivery by midwife and postpartum care $4,450.00

The cost for the actual facility which is Birth Center is $2,800.00

This will equal $4.450.00 to be paid before delivery

What this does not include in price is:

Blood work, sonograms, and any other hospital charges that occur. We do not provide other costs outside of this practice; the range of costs varies.

Thank you

Will keep you posted on any feedback i get from the other places I am looking at. Also info from anyone on hospitals/birthing centers in and around Maryland (Virginia, Washington, Delaware) will be appreciated. Thanks!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Love300: 3:22pm On Oct 08, 2013
@ olukemiyemi @ subice Look at my earlier post on cost of Delivery in Maryland. Hope that helps.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by tteam(f): 9:30am On Oct 09, 2013
hi house
good to know everyone is doing great.
i traveled to Houston on the 5t of October ad wast let in.
Even after showing my payments to west Houston and declaring how much i had.
Their reason was that i lied i was not pregnant during my visa interview.
had the most horrifying experience ever.
i am back in Nigeria now, thank God i and baby are safe.
apart fro me, two other 9ja ladies were set back too.

learning point: state preg stats when applying for visa, if u already have a visa then by all means avoid Houston. there are devils there searching out for black preg women.
wishing everyone goodluck wit their plans
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by gennygenny: 10:36am On Oct 09, 2013
tteam: hi house

learning point: state preg stats when applying for visa, if u already have a visa then by all means avoid Houston. there are devils there searching out for black preg women.

I am so sorry to hear that. That's so horrific. Can you go back again through another airport?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by nkkystel(f): 12:38pm On Oct 09, 2013

So sorry that you had a bad experience and thnx for letting us learn from your experience. It's well with you.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Dentale(f): 1:24pm On Oct 09, 2013

So sorry to hear this! It must have been traumatic. It's insane to turn you back for such a flimsy reason despite showing your financial independence. No matter what is said now to comfort you, one can only imagine how you feel. I hope you were not alone heading back? Anyways, try to get some rest and focus on your baby now. Here's wishing you a safe delivery.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by gennygenny: 1:58pm On Oct 09, 2013
Pls does anyone have information on affordable hospital in Columbus,Ohio
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by imadebaby: 5:32pm On Oct 09, 2013
so sad.....and to think you were heading to phoenix before....kai

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by uchetobi(f): 5:36pm On Oct 09, 2013

o mine, that's crazy... sorry to hear!

was this your first trip to the US? how far gone where you...?did you try to disguise it? where you traveling alone?

hope they dint cancel your visa

personally, I always advice firstimers to try and use their visas first before they go to give birth (if they can afford it), travel with your husband (if you can), that way he answers the questions and sort of blocks you from their view, do your makeup before you disembark then disguise, disguise disguise as much as you can

pele dear, safe delivery

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by forevermine: 7:05pm On Oct 09, 2013
Thanks a lot for ur response. Came in really handy...
Whole79: You don't need to change your current passport to the one that bears your husband's name. All you need to do is always provide proof of marriage which is your marriage certificate. However, you may want to change your name once the current passport expires. As per your baby's document, you'll only need you maiden name to do that. So nothing to be afraid of. You are good to go.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by forevermine: 7:13pm On Oct 09, 2013
Sorry about that, can only imagine that it must've been a horrid experience.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by emispackage: 6:42am On Oct 10, 2013
@ tteam, so sorry babes.... that must been terrible. Hope ur visa wasn't cancelled though? Glad u r okay.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by nikkygal(f): 12:46pm On Oct 10, 2013
@tteam

Am so sorry about your experience. I've heard quite a couple of horrible stories about the houston POE of recent...pele babes! Thank God you & the baby are fine.

I agree with Uchetobi on first-timers 'clock in' their visas at least once on a seperate trip before they go for birthing because of these over-zealous immigration officers. Also, my travel policy into the US from time has always been to avoid direct flights from lagos to the US because of the stereotyping and un-necessary disregard for the green pali. . . **na kuku naija pple cause am**

I always fly either AF,LH or BA....in anticipation that the expected scrutiny will at least be more objective and less prejudiced. Considering that the flight is orginating from the transit point with a mixed bunch of people from different nationalities. Also, once I dis-embark, I move straight to the 'ladies' to touch up my face so I can look considerably ok after such a long haul flight. . . .Also try to dress well and disguise your preggy state so that even when you're showing, it doesn't look like you're 'popping' the next minute...smiley

Wish everyone a safe delivery.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Babababy(m): 5:27pm On Oct 10, 2013
@tteam,I felt really sad reading about your experience, keep calm and look on the positive, most things in life are usually for a reason. I have to commend your courage in sharing your story, and you still manage to give advise, well done and God bless. @nikkygal, the British immigration officers are even more over zealous than the Yanky ones, even though you are transiting, those low lives will happily send back pregnant women, and most times it is the Indians,and all those other migrant British people that feel the urge to be nasty. If you can put your house in order from the word go, and follow this lovely forum from page one, traveling direct is still the best option for pregnant women. [b][/b]
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by shebambam(f): 6:02pm On Oct 10, 2013
dancewith:

Accepting medicaid for ur child is in no way illegal, as long as ur child is American and you qualifies.

Am yet to see this reflected on the parent's records. I am also yet to see a visa refusal on this ground, for those I know that used medicaid for their kids.

Some states like chicago have moms and babies program, which allows both anericans and birth tourist to have kids at little or no fees, provided they apply for and qualify for the program.

This too does not reflect on any body's record. At least not that I know of. Records are kept for debtors and these deliquent accounts are shared amongst govt agencies hence immigration can see them too. But these are for deliquent accounts.

It is all well and good if you can pay for all cost. But if you have the right information and can legally reduce ur cost, go for it. Its like saying a student should be penalized cos he was able to get scholarship while his fellow students paid in full by themselves.

The system works same way for tax evasion and tax avoidance. One is illegal, the other is legal. But both aims at paying less tax

@dancewith @sweetg. Pls do you have any info about how I can have d bill paid by medicaid reversed, so I can pick up the bills by myself. I have an issue and I don't want to complicate it now dat I want to renew my visa.

Also do u know if the embassy has a way of finding out if I took medicaid in the u.s
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Rexwoods: 8:03pm On Oct 10, 2013
Hello everyone. I'm due in march but plan to travel in January, will be using doctoresparati in El Paso. I plan to fly lufstanza, pls i need advice on experiences with preg woman flying thru Frankfurt.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by nikkygal(f): 8:04pm On Oct 10, 2013
Double post
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by nikkygal(f): 8:15pm On Oct 10, 2013
Babababy: @tteam,I felt really sad reading about your experience, keep calm and look on the positive, most things in life are usually for a reason. I have to commend your courage in sharing your story, and you still manage to give advise, well done and God bless. @nikkygal, the British immigration officers are even more over zealous than the Yanky ones, even though you are transiting, those low lives will happily send back pregnant women, and most times it is the Indians,and all those other migrant British people that feel the urge to be nasty. If you can put your house in order from the word go, and follow this lovely forum from page one, traveling direct is still the best option for pregnant women. [b][/b]

I agree with you on the overzealous british immigration officers part on returning pregnant women......Though my point was that I do stop over flights as a regular thing whether pregnant or not. My birthing trip to the US was on AF via paris....no time for heathrow wahala abeg! Let everyone do their due dilligence properly right from the point of applying for the visa and be straight forward with declaring your intentions at the embassy.

For me sha, about 90% of the cases I've heard recently about 'returned' pregnant women at the POE were Atlanta / Houston direct flights from LOS on Delta or Continental. I even know of someone that was 'returned' at the Houston POE on her next trip to the US after having had her baby like 15months earlier.....She wasn't pregnant but because she didn't have the receipts (she forgot them) showing payment of her hospital bills for the delivery of her child.

Abeg let everyone take heed and be very prepared...Tteam pele dear...**hugs**
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by labella12: 9:46pm On Oct 10, 2013
Tteam so sorry oh what an ordeal it must have been. Not to worry dear everything's happens for a reason which might not be clear to you now. I agree with nikkygal about transiting. The direct flights have too many Nigerians and they scrutinize so much more. I also used air France and from Paris we were very few blacks I also try and chose flights that arrive very late nights /early hours. Guess they will be too tired to scrutinize.
BA is a complete no no they are way too over zealous
e hugs tteam
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by routledge: 11:21pm On Oct 10, 2013
Rexwoods: Hello everyone. I'm due in march but plan to travel in January, will be using doctoresparati in El Paso. I plan to fly lufstanza, pls i need advice on experiences with preg woman flying thru Frankfurt.

My wife due in march as well, we are considering El Paso as well. want her to travel January as well. you can send your email maybe we could plan together.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by babyspice: 2:57am On Oct 11, 2013
So sad to hear about your terrible experience. I went thru Houston in 2010 and had zero issues. And just recently again thru Houston with zero issues. I prepared for some by carrying past bills but I guess with the govt shut down helped me becos they looked so harassed and under-staffed!! And also my hubby answered all questions while I stood looking stressed and harassed with the kids after a 16hr flight!!!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by solidhomes: 5:45am On Oct 11, 2013
routledge:

My wife due in march as well, we are considering El Paso as well. want her to travel January as well. you can send your email maybe we could plan together.

I have a friend who is planning this too. Can we leave contact details here?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Rexwoods: 4:41pm On Oct 11, 2013
routledge:

@routledge I sent u a mail on Nairaland , kindly respond
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by eelmawaldi: 6:57pm On Oct 11, 2013
Guys, me and my wife wants to give birth in US. Can somebody help which city would be the cheapest and safe also.

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (402)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.